Author Topic: Clan Invasion Kickstarter Discussion 6  (Read 139911 times)

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
Re: Clan Invasion Kickstarter Discussion 6
« Reply #1380 on: 27 May 2020, 10:42:10 »
I know I'm probably gonna catch flak here...but my thought is...exclusives should remain that...exclusive.

I've backed a lot of things in the past, and nothing is more annoying than paying a little extra for an 'exclusive' that a year later becomes, "Hey anyone want one, We're just GIVING THEM AWAY!!!!! WHEEEE!!!!!!!!

Now, if the Legendary/Urbie are touted as being exclusive to the Kickstarter, and CGL wants to sell them at Cons...sure, OK, but to then make them available via any old online store, suddenly something folks paid 'extra for' because it was advertised as being exclusive, is bad faith.

Again, my thoughts, and is just as valid as someone's thoughts they should be available to anyone who wants one.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1381 on: 27 May 2020, 10:47:51 »
was the legendary lance advertised as an exclusive? i forget.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #1383 on: 27 May 2020, 10:56:38 »
The last paragraph says exclusive to the Kickstarter, "cons, online stores and other promotional opportunities." 
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #1384 on: 27 May 2020, 10:58:35 »
And its still exclusive . . . the merchants who got in on the KS can order them if they wish, just like any other backer.  But its not going to be available through distributors and normal channels.  Merchant pledges also get the 'exclusive' dice, coins and shirts . . .
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #1385 on: 27 May 2020, 10:59:28 »
The last paragraph says exclusive to the Kickstarter, "cons, online stores and other promotional opportunities."

Yep, and I stated above, I'm ok with that...but if it started being sold at any old store, retail outlet beyond those...well, it would annoy me.

Not burn my minis in effigy type annoy, but annoy.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #1386 on: 27 May 2020, 11:01:17 »
And its still exclusive . . . the merchants who got in on the KS can order them if they wish, just like any other backer.  But its not going to be available through distributors and normal channels.  Merchant pledges also get the 'exclusive' dice, coins and shirts . . .

merchants may be able to order them, but only via the Kickstarter, and only while open. They won't be able to re-order them a year from now. Think of the old advertising adage:

"Supplies Limited - Get Them While They Last!"

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #1387 on: 27 May 2020, 11:04:30 »
Yep, and I stated above, I'm ok with that...but if it started being sold at any old store, retail outlet beyond those...well, it would annoy me.

Not burn my minis in effigy type annoy, but annoy.

Same.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #1388 on: 27 May 2020, 11:10:10 »
Are we still talking about the damn Urbie? I was joking guys.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #1389 on: 27 May 2020, 11:13:50 »
Urbie I think should be available to anyone who wants one. And no, the Urbie does not state it is EXCLUSIVE in any way.:

At the Bottom

carlisimo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1390 on: 27 May 2020, 11:59:04 »
I think we're all curious to see how the UrbanMech gets packaged.  Being sold singly would be a little surprising.  Or did you mean the plushie?

I'm generally not a fan of exclusives, because in my past experience they're usually exclusive in a way that makes them accessible on a geographical basis.  If you don't live near some company's HQ, annual event, or favorite con, you're relegated to eBay.  Screw that.  This is temporal rather than geographical, so that's fine.  Not that any of it is really exclusive if it's going up on CGL's website, but I'm okay with that.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #1391 on: 27 May 2020, 12:42:57 »
I ordered two plushie Urbies for my girls, and one mini for myself.  Good looking sculpt on that Urbie.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #1392 on: 27 May 2020, 12:51:09 »
Yeah, I would like to see something on the plushie.  I ordered two, and am curious to see what is up with its development.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #1393 on: 27 May 2020, 12:55:48 »
I'm generally not a fan of exclusives, because in my past experience they're usually exclusive in a way that makes them accessible on a geographical basis.  If you don't live near some company's HQ, annual event, or favorite con, you're relegated to eBay.  Screw that. 

This.

I have come to loathe the idea of exclusives that are location- or time-limited. Only available direct from the company - that's fine, if I really want it I can save up for the extra shipping.

The one exception is numbered or special-bound editions of books because the product is the contents of the book, not the fancy cover or creators' signatures or whatever, and I can still buy the regular book with all the same story/rules inside.
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

PsylockeSmythe

• Corporal
« Reply #1394 on: 27 May 2020, 13:59:25 »
It actually reads; "Will instead be for backers, cons, our online store and other promotional opportunities." 

So while you will be able to find them online, it should only be found online through CGL's online store.  So they shouldn't be found on places like Amazon, unless someone is reselling them.

Psy

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #1395 on: 27 May 2020, 14:00:34 »
That was a typo on my side, note that when I posted about it earlier I said CGL's online store.

PsylockeSmythe

• Corporal
« Reply #1396 on: 27 May 2020, 14:06:26 »
That was a typo on my side, note that when I posted about it earlier I said CGL's online store.
Gotcha.  Didn't catch the correction when going through the page.   

Psy

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #1397 on: 27 May 2020, 17:14:59 »
I know I'm probably gonna catch flak here...but my thought is...exclusives should remain that...exclusive.

I've backed a lot of things in the past, and nothing is more annoying than paying a little extra for an 'exclusive' that a year later becomes, "Hey anyone want one, We're just GIVING THEM AWAY!!!!! WHEEEE!!!!!!!!

Now, if the Legendary/Urbie are touted as being exclusive to the Kickstarter, and CGL wants to sell them at Cons...sure, OK, but to then make them available via any old online store, suddenly something folks paid 'extra for' because it was advertised as being exclusive, is bad faith.

Again, my thoughts, and is just as valid as someone's thoughts they should be available to anyone who wants one.

I can understand the feeling, but at the same time, I hate Kickstarter exclusives in general.  Things like plastic instead of cardboard tokens or alternate card art is okay.  It's things like exclusive units or expansions the irk me.  That's just baiting me collector's urge in a way I'm not cool with.  It's a cheap ploy.

I won't even look at kickstarter exclusive games.  If the game really is great, why wouldn't they want it to hit retail? 
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #1398 on: 27 May 2020, 17:20:01 »
I won't even look at kickstarter exclusive games.  If the game really is great, why wouldn't they want it to hit retail? 

Because the costs and risks of funding a retail release are far higher than making a production run to order.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #1399 on: 27 May 2020, 17:29:56 »
But isn't the point of kickstarter to help mitigate the costs and risks?
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1400 on: 27 May 2020, 17:33:51 »
it's to make the game in the first place. boxes, manuals, playing pieces, extras, swag, all cost money. a lot of it. and you send your product directly to the people who want it. retail release requires a huge amount of effort. you have to not only sell to customers, but sell to stores. they have to want to stock your game. then the store gets a cut, as does your distributor. whether you get your product into the store or not, and whether fans buy it or not, you still had to pay up front to produce the games.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #1401 on: 27 May 2020, 17:37:49 »
Not all of them want to do a full blown retail release or are large enough staff-wise to support it.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1402 on: 27 May 2020, 17:38:13 »

It's not a guarantee. Yes, we are getting allot because of the kickstarter will cover the initial production run but retail sales to continue production after the fact is a entirely different story.

shivanwurm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1403 on: 27 May 2020, 17:41:14 »
The Devil's Bath map looks brutal.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1404 on: 27 May 2020, 17:48:49 »
You guys were talking about the urbanMech.  I thought you guys were talking about a legendary Urbanmech on thinking"whaaaaat????"
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

shivanwurm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1405 on: 27 May 2020, 17:51:48 »
You guys were talking about the urbanMech.  I thought you guys were talking about a legendary Urbanmech on thinking"whaaaaat????"
Legendary Urbanmech "Dustbin Supreme"   ;D

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1406 on: 27 May 2020, 17:53:33 »
Tin Star!... because it's a tin can, get it? ... I'll see my self out.

Doom

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1407 on: 27 May 2020, 19:09:33 »
Tin Star is a battlesuit used by the Colonial Marshals in the Fronc Reaches.

Asgo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1408 on: 27 May 2020, 19:18:30 »
on the topic of ks exclusives, personally I generally don't really mind them. It's a project decision like many other and the only  direct measurable influence is a shift between retail and campaign by front loading the financing. Sure, backers have to make a decision earlier than waiting for retail, but well that is the function of the exclusives.

Funny side note, exclusives actually have a practical advantage for backers. They give a relative clear statement to which elements almost definitely won't be available post ks. That might sound trivial, but for many projects non exclusives might be intended for retail, but until they actually appear in stores you can't really count on that - and many times only a subset makes it to retail or with years added to the time line. For an established company and product line like Battletech that isn't necessarily a problem, but even here and still technically in ks production it was mentioned that not all items might get a second production run for wave 2 (even though it was mostly for the merch stuff, I think).

for me and in this specific case the exclusiveness tag is almost beside the point, the overall pricing and shipping make the stuff basically ks exclusive anyway. ;)

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #1409 on: 27 May 2020, 19:24:08 »
I'd like to see an evolution of Urbie, like an evolution of dance.

put 4 different variants in a set (#4 being IIC)
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

Register