Poll

What method do you use in your AS games to account for damage?  All or nothing?  Multiple Attack Rolls?  Multiple Damage Rolls?

All or Nothing
Multiple Attack Rolls
Multiple Damage Rolls

Author Topic: How do you handle attacks & damage in your Alpha Strike Games  (Read 3684 times)

Burzmali

• Private
Re: How do you handle attacks & damage in your Alpha Strike Games
« Reply #60 on: 12 March 2024, 15:20:53 »
See, that makes it less exciting to me. When my Fusion Ontos is firing 10 medium lasers and 2 LRM-10s with dead fire ammo, it makes very little sense that only 2 medium lasers hit.

I get that that's the way "classic battletech" can work out, but there's a reason I prefer the Alpha Strike system - the lasers are firing simultaneously (fusion Ontos, not the ICE one with the limiter) and are linked to a computer that targets a single point - even if a human is doing the targeting, allowing it to miss. They move at the speed of light... why again did 8 miss the mech and one hit its pinky while the other hit its toe?

This is why the video games had to introduce the Ghost Heat mechanic and the like - players can link X number of weapons to a single button press and just dump all that damage into a single location like it is an AC-20. So they added Ghost Heat so you could only do it with different weapons (meaning they don't hit at the same time etc. etc.).

If I miss the light mech wholesale, fine, it's hard to hit. My pilot needs more time in the simulator maybe. If I hit the light mech with *any* of the lasers, I should hit it with all of them - or else my pilot is either dumb or the machine has the computer equivalent of cerebral palsy.
Which makes sense and is an argument in favor of the rules as written or RAW damage model as it is often referred. MAR is for people that like that BT feel where with enough lasers you can reliably do some damage. Pilot works for people that like the concept of MAR but either don't own enough dice or dislike the ability to grind out enough hits to kill lighter mechs with weight of fire. D12 is for those folks that want to pretend they are still playing a GW product.

Brym

• Corporal
« Reply #61 on: 12 March 2024, 15:50:25 »
Which makes sense and is an argument in favor of the rules as written or RAW damage model as it is often referred. MAR is for people that like that BT feel where with enough lasers you can reliably do some damage. Pilot works for people that like the concept of MAR but either don't own enough dice or dislike the ability to grind out enough hits to kill lighter mechs with weight of fire. D12 is for those folks that want to pretend they are still playing a GW product.

Succinctly put. 

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #62 on: 12 March 2024, 15:53:08 »
**MOD NOTICE**

Any additional pilot dice and D12 posts will be moved to fan rules given that they are both fan rules.
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #63 on: 23 March 2024, 22:26:38 »
I didn't understand the "superior dice" for attack/damage.
A different color dice for the superior and then how many dice for damage.
It just seemed very different rolling one dice and then the extra dice for the weapon dice.
If the Superior dice rolls a 5 and then on the attack you roll a 6 and a 1, then its 11 and 6.
Didn't like it at first, but after a couple of times it made it faster and easier.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass