Author Topic: Miniatures of the Fortnight #95: Highlander and Highlander IIC  (Read 3076 times)

Xiwo Xerase

• Warrant Officer
The first BattleTech miniature I ever purchased was the original sculpt of the Highlander (20-896).  It was in the late '90's and was a blue card Ral Partha blister with the 'made of Ralidium' text.  I still have it, although at least one of its arms was lost in a move.  I bought new arms for it and it sits on my painting desk.  I haven't decided what its permanent paint job will be.

But enough about me.

This fortnight, we're looking at the miniatures for the Highlander and its Clan rebuild, the Highlander IIC.  One of the most iconic 'Mechs from Technical Readout: 2750, it saw a renaissance and spread after the Clan Invasion.  While I'm fond of the Highlander, I haven't used it much in games, so check out the 'Mech of the Week article, which covers both the Highlander and the Highlander IIC.

The Highlander has four sculpts so far (plus a new sculpt coming in the new plastic sets):
  • The original sculpt released by Ral Partha (20-896).
  • The resculpt (20-5128).
  • The sculpt for the HGN-734 model (BT-402).
  • The sculpt for the HGN-738 model (BT-403).
The Highlander IIC has only had one sculpt (20-936).

If you have any of these assault 'Mechs painted, please share pictures.  We'd love to see them!  (Bonus points if painted in tartan!)

As always, thank you for reading and a special thank you to those of you will post.

Our next two fortnights will be:
  • Inner Sphere (6/8): Blackjack and Blackjack OmniMech
  • Clan (6/22): Society Special: Cephalus, Septicemia, and Osteon

dirty harry

• Lieutenant
  • Make my day
Old sculpt Highlander as part of my 36. Lyran Guard.

dirty harry

• Lieutenant
  • Make my day
Clan Highlander as part of clan Diamondshark's Beta galaxy.
Some say the missile launchers door is very prone to breakage. I have found it to be okay as long as the adjacent arm protects it from any ground contact.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
One Highlander for me.  Resculpt, in Lyran Royal Guard colors.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

CranstonSnord

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
Here's a ComStar Highlander, Clan Wolf Highlander IIC, and a Davion Highlander Resculpt.

Wotan

• Lieutenant
An old Star Adder Tau Galaxy Highlander IIC

A resculpt Highlander of the 5th Crucis Lancers

And another resculpt HGN-734 for the Dioscuri

Wolf Reaper

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Malo Mori Quam Foedari - Death Before Dishonor
While I have more, these are the ones I found quickly.
Star Colonel Vladik Ward
318th Wolf Striker Cluster
"The Blood Pack"

Sic Vis Pacem Parabellum  -"Those who seek peace, prepare for war."
"Grant me stillness and serenity as my enemies pound and howl." -Incantation against bombardment

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
Some say the missile launchers door is very prone to breakage. I have found it to be okay as long as the adjacent arm protects it from any ground contact.

One of my fav minis

Luciora

• Major
Re: Miniatures of the Fortnight #95: Highlander and Highlander IIC
« Reply #8 on: 01 June 2020, 02:46:09 »
Assorted HGN-732s

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 01 June 2020, 02:47:43 »
Lyran variants and a very old pilot custom

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 01 June 2020, 02:48:35 »
Clan pilot customs and an Arano scheme.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 01 June 2020, 02:49:23 »
Highlander IIc and a Claymore custom, using parts from MFUK.

billtfor3

• Lieutenant
  • Smashing Liao and Kurita since 3025!
« Reply #12 on: 02 June 2020, 10:16:03 »
Here's one of mine! Maybe a few more in a bit.
SGT Mark McKinnon, Recon Lance McKinnon's Company, 7th Crusis Lancers, Federated Suns

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 02 June 2020, 10:26:57 »
Xiwo, what do you consider fanworks like the MFUK Claymore?  It was a limited produced version full mini that also had arms made for conversion purposes.
« Last Edit: 07 June 2020, 18:04:14 by Luciora »

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 07 June 2020, 17:46:32 »
I have two... Both HGN-733s, both belonging to the Stormbringer - 349th Dragoons.

This first one was supposed to be the Unit Commander's 'Mech (Daemon Black), but time has moved it out of favor, and instead his ride is a Mythos Industries HGN-851 Highlander (Think: Highlander IIc with PPC/LRM-15/SRM-6/2 ML)

The paint is from when I first started painting again in '09 and was doing a lot of light flare on the corners. It also has the old 349th insignia on the right arm (not pictured) which also helped get it replaced.

This other one belongs to Kiera Nguyen, 3rd Lance Commander in the Company Bernelli's Brawlers (a group noted for their love of physical combat and improvised weapons). You can see how the paint scheme got darker with time, although the picture isn't all that great as it washed out a lot of the progressions of grey.

Caz

billtfor3

• Lieutenant
  • Smashing Liao and Kurita since 3025!
« Reply #15 on: 20 June 2020, 12:30:46 »
I have two... Both HGN-733s, both belonging to the Stormbringer - 349th Dragoons.

This first one was supposed to be the Unit Commander's 'Mech (Daemon Black), but time has moved it out of favor, and instead his ride is a Mythos Industries HGN-851 Highlander (Think: Highlander IIc with PPC/LRM-15/SRM-6/2 ML)

The paint is from when I first started painting again in '09 and was doing a lot of light flare on the corners. It also has the old 349th insignia on the right arm (not pictured) which also helped get it replaced.

This other one belongs to Kiera Nguyen, 3rd Lance Commander in the Company Bernelli's Brawlers (a group noted for their love of physical combat and improvised weapons). You can see how the paint scheme got darker with time, although the picture isn't all that great as it washed out a lot of the progressions of grey.

Caz

Someones day is about to be ruined!
SGT Mark McKinnon, Recon Lance McKinnon's Company, 7th Crusis Lancers, Federated Suns

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #16 on: 20 June 2020, 13:36:48 »
Those are really nice. I really like how that one is in kneeling pose and fireing his weapon while holding some object as melee weapon.
Star Captain John Malthus, Kappa Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon 
Star Captain Johannes Bekker, Delta Galaxy, Clan Ghost Bear 
Captain John Bailey, 1st Avalon Hussars, Federated Suns  
Tai-i Jiro Takahashi, 2nd Legion of Vega, Draconis Combine

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 12 August 2020, 21:22:37 »

The IIC Highlander is almost a perfect sculpt in my opinion it looks both tough and dynamic

Kibutsu

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: 13 August 2020, 16:34:20 »
I have 3. One very old original sculpt painted sometime in the 90s, 1 generic Nova Cat Highlander IIC and one resculpt painted for 1st Ghost Regiment. The resculpt is, in my humble opinion, one of the best minis the line has ever produced.

Juodas Varnas

• Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: 14 August 2020, 02:08:26 »
If you ask me, that resculpt looks even better than the kickstarter redesign.