Author Topic: BA Wheeled suit - now, rocket propelled! and now, tracked and hover!  (Read 2786 times)

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
Ok, now, I'm one of those people who enjoy a good, well-thought out rationalization for homebrew-tech, so back when I found the image of a Tortoise II had WHEELS ( https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Tortoise_II ) I saw an opportunity to provide them with trailers - a potentially massive increase in firepower.

Turns out - they're there for, 'flavor'.
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.phptopic=58289.msg1342011#msg1342011

I knew I had to come up with something to take advantage of the idea.
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=58278.msg1341596#msg1341596

It kind of sputtered out, but it grabbed my interest again tonight, as I fiddled with Megamek Lab. I saw that even though I had specified a quad (two arms, and 2 wheels, to my mind, like the Tortoise) I could see the options for 'Jump-' and 'Mechanical Jump Booster', and it hit me; a Tortoise II BA, decked out in a 'Dukes of Hazzard'-style General Lee paint job jumping a bridge, missile and laser fire blowing it up behind it.

Serious question; just how ridiculous would it be?  A wheeled BA, drops a trailer to run, and ignites the Jump (Rocket) Jets for that burst of acceleration to get away.  Depending on the degree of reality and physics involved, this could be too cool not to write some kind of rules for.  It practically screams, 'Clown Car'.   >:D

« Last Edit: 06 April 2020, 12:55:44 by Red Pins »
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Red Pins

• Major
So, talking with Takiro's over at the ourbattletech forum about his Salient Horizon project, and he commented about the similarity to Macross.  Now, due to Harmony Gold, I'd rather put needles in my eyes than look at their stuff for inspiration, but...

I'm going to come up with a set of construction and game rules for them if he wants, but it might be workable.
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
Well, arguably the only reason quad BA can't mount JJs is "because we say so", if you want JJs on a quad in your games nothing's stopping you...

As for pulling trailers I'd just calculate the BA's effective engine rating and go with that (4MP assault BA = 2 MP pulling a 2-ton trailer).

Red Pins

• Major
I suddenly have the scene from the Speed Racer movie; "It's a whole new ball game, baby!"

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
It kind of sputtered out, but it grabbed my interest again tonight, as I fiddled with Megamek Lab. I saw that even though I had specified a quad (two arms, and 2 wheels, to my mind, like the Tortoise) I could see the options for 'Jump-' and 'Mechanical Jump Booster', and it hit me; a Tortoise II BA, decked out in a 'Dukes of Hazzard'-style General Lee paint job jumping a bridge, missile and laser fire blowing it up behind it.

Serious question; just how ridiculous would it be?  A wheeled BA, drops a trailer to run, and ignites the Jump (Rocket) Jets for that burst of acceleration to get away.  Depending on the degree of reality and physics involved, this could be too cool not to write some kind of rules for.  It practically screams, 'Clown Car'.   >:D

Now say this in a Jim Carrie's voice-over from Ace Ventura : Pet Detective!

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Red Pins

• Major
I know, funny, right?

It is doable, though.  I decided to cut the cheesey mass, though, so now they can just pull their own weight as trailers.  Almost done, but they're keeping me busy back at work and Hardwick for three houses is no joke.

RifleMech

• Major
This is why I'd love to mount BA equipment on small vehicles, 4.999 tons or less. Mechanical Boosters for the lowrider bouncing jump and jump jets for the Duke's super jumps. Manipulators to pick up things.  etc

Red Pins

• Major
Homebrew stuff is so much more interesting to me now - without the fan-made projects, my interest in the game would have waned a long time ago.

RifleMech

• Major
Yeah. Being able to design is what's kept me in too. I still want to know where things go but I'm more interested in the tech.

Red Pins

• Major
"IlClan and out in >Redacted<!"

Yeah.  I know.

RifleMech

• Major
Yeah.   I suppose some are happy with redone TROs which have been redone already but I'd rather they moved on with the story or added to the past.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
I'll take adding to the past any day...

Register