Author Topic: Looking to expand my motor pool!  (Read 4749 times)

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Looking to expand my motor pool!
« Reply #30 on: 06 October 2020, 16:49:46 »
'common' is relative, remember that the Warrior's XTRO incarnation (with the self-exploding cannon) is Cappie, so while the Warrior is technically a Lyran staple, and was invented in the Lyran Commonwealth, it's been in use so long it's sort of like a T-34 in that examples are wide-spread even in use in enemy nations as a common matter of course.

For my own 'short list':

Manticore-really makes the point about tracked tanks either way you want to lean-in the right hands (and bunkered up in the right place) it's a deadly mobile turret with some close in defense crit-soaks, but the armor isn't as heavy as the Patton, so it doesn't last as long once you've parked and bunkered.

(Remember kids, the hit table prefers you put your tracked vee in 'park' and just soak that return fire while the 'mechs do the moving.  under earlier rules, this was suicide behavior, but with Total Warfare's changes, this is essentially 'how to run a tank')

Demolisher: common product, everyone owns at least one.  Good for making a fixed position something that you only assault from outside 9 hexes.  Keep in mind the movement profile is such that you won't be closing range even on an Urbanmech.  find a spot your opponent must approach and park it there.

Striker: mobile missile turret, wheeled, movement through woods not advised, but in urban it makes a nice deployable turret that soaks return fire for a couple rounds before exploding.

Maxim: for your combined arms play needs, decent battle-taxi for unarmored troops.

For later eras:

Myrmidon: probably the best pre-dark-age tracked tank, enough movement to climb hills or move through woods without going to flank, enough armor to take a hit or two, enough punch to be worth using. SRM's for infernoes (against other vees, infantry formations and the like) General table/mercenary sales, so dirt common too.

Hawk Moth: General distribution/mercenary sales, long range and bare minimum for survivable VTOL use for speed. Actually DOES what the Yellowjacket was advertised for doing, (iow being an effective big-gun VTOL for ranged fire support/backup for recon elements)

There are others, but those are 'general issue' stuff you can find pretty much ANYWHERE, except the Clans, who have their own stuff.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #31 on: 06 October 2020, 16:58:23 »
And again- depends on how much you buy into 'these are representations of generic designs that you can find by different brand names across the IS' line.  They introduced stuff later on to reinforce that- like the FRR producing the Axel that was different b/c it used ICE and was thus slower than the design plans they based it on.

So the Hunter in the LC could be called *ChineseorRussiansomething* in Cappie land.

the one i put on the table as part of a capellan militia, it's called a hunter. no other names are given so that's what it's called.

anything else is a headcanon contrivance to fit your own view of the universe outside of actual confirmed variants (that aren't the same) like the axel.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #32 on: 06 October 2020, 17:36:44 »
Just FYI, Lieren means hunter in Chinese ;)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #33 on: 06 October 2020, 20:46:13 »
the one i put on the table as part of a capellan militia, it's called a hunter. no other names are given so that's what it's called.

anything else is a headcanon contrivance to fit your own view of the universe outside of actual confirmed variants (that aren't the same) like the axel.

No, they actually used that bit in TRO3026 IIRC.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #34 on: 06 October 2020, 21:01:01 »
Can’t do much with the vaguest of 35 year old references and practically zero canon examples

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #35 on: 17 December 2020, 22:51:29 »
SUMMON THE TRUETANKER!!!

I am here, who summoned me?

No, really I have many mini's.. What era and Faction do you need info on?

Always glad to help any fellow tread head!

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: 18 December 2020, 01:50:35 »
harasser hovertanks. They pop like soap-bubbles, but carry respectable firepower in LRM and SRM versions.

« Last Edit: 23 December 2020, 14:02:48 by Greatclub »

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: 18 December 2020, 02:01:15 »
Anything with TAG Pegasus Scout ? Hover tanks with AC 20 w Precision ammo orAC 20/ ultra  . Any Shiltron  as it has a C3 master.

Register