Author Topic: Hammer/Anvil/Stingray confusion  (Read 1355 times)

Alfaryn

• Master Sergeant
Hammer/Anvil/Stingray confusion
« on: 24 December 2017, 20:39:29 »
The following post is based on p. 48 of the 2005 FanPro print edition of Technical Readout 3055 Upgrade. I found something, that I think may be an error in the fluff text, but I'm not certain how to correct it (or if it even needs correcting), so I can't make a proper errata report. Apologies if it has been already corrected in later editions or if this is a wrong forum to bring this issue.

The first paragraph of the Overview section of ANV-3M Anvil reads:

Originally intended as an independent "brawler" 'Mech, the Anvil saw its planned mission change substantially during development. After early tests, an engineer noticed that the as-yet unnamed 'Mech could be suitably matched with another design under production, the Stingray. After reviewing the engineer's analysis, the Free Worlds League merged elements of the two designs and renamed the Stingray the Anvil.

The paragraph bellow this one, and several other paragraphs on this page (plus one sentence on p. 16) describe how the Hammer and the Anvil 'Mechs usually work in pairs.

This leads me to believe that the quoted paragraph describes two 'Mechs - one named Stingray, and one unnamed, that were later renamed Hammer and Anvil. The problem with it is that the first two sentences in that paragraph (especially the way how article "the" is used in the second sentence) seem to suggest, that the unnamed 'Mech is the Anvil. The last sentence however states the opposite - that the Anvil was originally the Stingray.

So which 'Mech was originally called the Stingray?

Of course there is also a possibility, that I'm wrong about the nature of "merger" of Stingray and the unnamed 'Mech, and the Anvil was made by merging components taken from the Stingray and the unnamed 'Mech in which case the paragraph in question has nothing to do with pairing of Hammer and Anvil, but even in this case the entire paragraph may be technically correct, although its last sentence would be still odd - why write about renaming Stingray to Anvil, and not about merging parts of two 'Mechs into a new one?

Edit: Capital "P" in FanPro.
« Last Edit: 26 December 2017, 01:28:19 by Alfaryn »

Register