Author Topic: Mech of the Week: Mad Cat Mk II  (Read 13696 times)

Kidd

• Major
Mech of the Week: Mad Cat Mk II
« on: 03 August 2018, 22:36:55 »
Mech of the Week: Mad Cat Mk II

INTRODUCTION

In the beginning FASA created the Marauder and Catapult. Now the Marauder and Catapult were Inner Sphere Mechs, and the Spirit of Plot was hovering over the Fourth Succession War. And the Spirit said, “Let there be Clans!” and there was the Mad Cat, or to use its proper, non-surat freebirth dezgra Tainted nomenclature, the Timber Wolf.

And FASA saw that the Timber Wolf was good, and called it “iconic”.

Now the Microsoft Games was crafty, and went to FASA, and said “Should you keep using the Clan name Timber Wolf? Or Mad Cat? After all, you did say it was supposed to have the missile racks of the Catapult, and the arms of a Marauder, so really it ought to be Mad Cat more than Timber Wolf. What’s in a name?”

And FASA said to Microsoft, “You have a point. It was called the Timber Wolf in Mechwarrior 2 though. Will it confuse fans if we call it differently in our new video game?”

“You will most certainly not confuse fans,” said Microsoft to FASA. “For when we put the Mad Cat in Mechwarrior 4 Vengeance, we shall also have the Mad Cat Mark II, which shall be bigger, and cooler, and henceforth fans will call them all Mad Cats.”

When FASA saw that the Mad Cat Mark II was good and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining new fans, FASA took it and gave it to Technical Readout 3067.

Then the eyes of FASA were opened, and they realised the name Timber Wolf is much better, and they made more marks and models of Mad Cats to cover their shame.

And so did sin enter Battletech through one computer game, and the Mad Cat Mk II through that computer game, so also the Mad Cat Mk II was passed on to many more games, and begat the Clicky blasphemy that was…

DUNH DUNH DUNHHHHH...!

HISTORY

The Mad Cat Mk II did actually arise out of the Refusal War, in a way. Sensing a sales opportunity to the wrecked Toumans of Clans Jade Falcon and Wolf, the Diamond Sharks designed and built the Mk II, probably with the Wolves as their primary target customer. Unfortunately the Wolves did not bite. Perhaps they were happy enough with their Gargoyles and Dire Wolves, weren’t quite as desperate as the Sharks imagined, or simply were wary of Sharks bearing trade contracts.

Neither were the Falcons interested, perhaps because they had their own Turkina facility. The Sharks shrugged, and in true entrepreneurial spirit, offered the Mk II to certain parties considered nominal enemies – Comstar, the Federated Commonwealth, Draconis Combine, and, very quietly, the Abjured Clans Nova Cat and Wolf-in-Exile. All these parties were gagging for Clan tech of any kind, with the latter two especially reliant on Shark produce to fill out the Assault slots in their shattered Toumans.

Thus the Mad Cat Mk II found itself a place in the Inner Sphere. But for all that the design seems to have pleased its recipients, does the Mk II have the same impact that its smaller ancestor did? Perhaps not quite, but piggybacking on its more illustrious forebear seems to have won the basic chassis a certain measure of glory, as we shall see.

VARIANTS

Mad Cat Mk II, 3062 – The basic model sets the tone for most of the Mk II variants. 90 tons moving 4/6/3 on a Clan XL engine give the Mk II standard Clan Assault mobility with a small burst of jump juice to hop over obstacles, scale cliffs, and reposition itself to deal with would-be backstabbers. Armour stands at about 89% of maximum, making the Mk II a little thin in my opinion. I would have preferred at least a little more Clan Ferro so as to render the side torsos and arms proof from breaching after just two Clan ER PPC or Gauss shots – but it is adequate.

Let’s move on to the shooty bits – the Sharks took the opportunity to dispose of a cache of dusty old guns, and equipped the Mk II with a pair of oversized Gauss Rifles and 16 slugs apiece, backed up by a pair of LRM-10s with 12 volleys each, and four ER Medium lasers. I approve the symmetry of design and obvious callback to the Timber Wolf, but the LRMs could have done with a little more ammo. Equipped with 14 double heatsinks, it is clear despite the long-ranged primary guns that the Mk II is meant to close in with the enemy and bring its lasers to bear, to maximise the benefit of its cooling system.

This weapon combination is not unfamiliar to veterans of the early 3060s. Similar Gauss-ML Assault combinations abound, such as the IS’s Thunder Hawk, Pillager, Gunslinger etc. However the Mk II’s Clantech gives it little extras like LRMs, better lasers, and of course a smaller and faster XL Fusion Engine, and skilled Mechwarriors would know to leverage these little edges to give the Mk II the upper hand over IS opponents. Likewise the payoff for Clan warriors would be to close in quickly and aggressively on opponents to bring the Mk II’s full firepower to bear.

Efficient and effective, if a little cheddary, the Mad Cat Mk II served unassumingly in the Nova Cat and Exiled Wolf second-line Galaxies, but is probably prized by IS commanders fortunate enough to get their hands on one.

Mad Cat Mk II 2, 3069 – Probably a callback to the Timber Wolf D, the second Mk II is a close-combat variant that switches two ERMLs, the LRMs and one Gauss rifle for four Streak SRM-4s and two tons of ammo, plus an LBX AC/20 with a measly 10 rounds of ammo. The Clantech LBX is entirely self-contained in the left arm, unlike the bulky IS weapon, and can hence flip backwards to scare off potential backstabbers. The loss of two ERMLs is unfortunate, but if you’re fighting in the proverbial phone booth, going up against vehicles, or subscribe to the Crit-Seeking school of Mech combat, it’s hard to say no to the Mk II 2.

Unfortunately only the Mk II and Mk II 2 saw service in the great conflagration of the Jihad, which is a pity, because come the 3080s a couple of very useful variants make their appearance.

Mad Cat Mk II 3, 3082 – The first of these is the Mk II 3. Based on the original Mk II, the Mk II 3 restores the LRMs and laser battery but swaps the two Gauss Rifles for their Hyper Assault descendants, HAG-30s, and a full 16 rounds of fire for each. Unfortunately the HAGs are much hotter than the Gausses, plus the Mk II loses the jump jets and two double heat sinks to make the switch possible. Hence pilots of the Mk II 3 need to remember it doesn’t handle quite like the Mk II original, perhaps being more of a long-gunner until those LRMs run out. A running alpha strike would trigger the first shutdown check rather than merely warm the cockpit a tad.

The head mounts a Light Active Probe, for little real effect if any in regular gameplay and little apparent reason other than to suit the thingamajiggy drawn atop the Mk II’s head in the art. Almost anything else here would have been preferable – somebody should have told the Sharks what wondrous feats can be performed with a Small Laser on a Timber Wolf… The II 3 also more-or-less maxes out the armour with a decent layout, save that the front side torsos still carry only 29 points each, which you might tell triggers my OCD no end.

The HAGs mark the Mk II 3 as a product designed to gain the attention of the Horses and Ravens. However it seems not to have gained much traction with anybody other than the Sharks themselves, suggesting a less-than-successful product launch. But with HAG-30s available to these as well as the Bears and Exiled Wolves, it would not beggar belief to see a handful of Mk II 3s in the Toumans of these Clans.

Mad Cat Mk II (Enhanced), 3083 – Around 3080, the Sharks noticed that sales of the Mk II were dropping off alarmingly. Though not described in detail, I presume this might have had something to do with the Mk II’s erstwhile loyal customers, the Exiled Wolves and Abjured Cats, setting up shop with their respective Hellstar and Sphinx lines building Assault Mechs tailored to their preferences… not to mention the Horses’ Cygnus, Bears’ Ryoken II and Falcons’ Jupiter. The Sharks decided this simply would not do.

The Sharks’ trading post on Itabaiana, previously the source of much-needed Homeworld equipment to the Nova Cats (and probable brokerage site for illicit trade with the Bears) was apparently expanded to a full enclave with extensive manufacturing facilities post-Jihad. Stepping off the Itabaiana lines came the Mad Cat Mk II Enhanced, which seems to have succeeded in gaining an appreciation amongst the IS Clans that its ancestor didn’t.

And no wonder. The main showpiece of the Enhanced is its stylishly-sculpted shell of Hardened Armour, increasing its effective protection to 160% of the Mk II. Though the Enhanced is the first of the Mk II series in the slow Assault Mech role, moving slightly slower across level terrain at 4/5/4, it does change the Clan Assault paradigm; the Jupiter et al can mount as many guns as they like, but at this time, only the Enhanced could offer better survivability…

…naturally coming at the cost of firepower. The LRM-10s and a pair of ERMLs remain, but the Gausses and the other pair of ERMLs are replaced by a pair of ER Large Pulse Lasers. I can think of other, more traditional weapons that might have served instead of the new-fangled ER pulsers. 18 DHSs allow the Enhanced to fire in all sorts of combinations up to firing everything except one ER LPL and staying reasonably cool. This is significantly less firepower than the original Mk II not to mention giving up any chance at a headcap; at long range that is an approximate firepower reduction of 20% (with due allowance for the LPLs -1 bonus) while at short range the loss in potential damage is about 45%.

In summary, the Enhanced out-armours the Original by 60%, and the Original out-shoots the Enhanced by vaguely the same (incidentally, this is borne out by their respective Alpha Strike stats). I suppose it’s really a judgement call whichever one prefers. One way or another it appears the IS Clans sat up and took notice, with every Clan except the Jade Falcons picking up a few units.

Mad Cat Mk II 4, 3090 – Debuting a little later (and only available in Record Sheets 3145 NTNU), the Mk II 4 is an old-skool throwback to the original. Like the II 3 it moves 4/6/4 and maximises armour but shifts 1 point forward on each side torso (at last!) to make them just proof against double Clan ER PPC or Gauss hits, and again carries that superfluous Light Active Probe – so no, the Sharks still haven’t learned about the Jade Phoenix…

20 double heat sinks power the II 4’s main weaponry, namely double over-under ER Large Lasers on both arms, supported by LRM-15 shoulder racks and an exceedingly generous (for Clans) 24 salvoes each. This might suggest the possibility of using alternative munitions – remember Clan systems can also fire Anti-Radiation, Heat-Seeking, Smoke, Swarm and Thunder LRMs. Unlike the other Mk IIs heretofore, the Mk II 4 is unaccountably equipped with Lower Arm Actuators, and hence cannot flip backwards and deal with backstabbers.

While a 4-3-3 pattern can be made with the ER LLs at very long ranges, and closer in firing three ER LLs and one LRM-15 makes for highly sustainable damage output, unfortunately I cannot see much that really promotes the II 4 over the original. I can think of a couple of Clan Heavies that perform better, to be frank. Perhaps the II 4 is meant to fight in extended battles – if so, it should stick to fencing at long range.

Mad Cat Mk II 5, 3109 – The Mk II 5’s chassis is similar to the Mk II 4, though with only 14 double heat sinks, but packs in 6 Improved Jump Jets to make a real flyer of an Assault Mech. Armed with only a Gauss Rifle with 16 shots, an Improved Heavy Large Laser and Improved Heavy Medium Laser, this is clearly a model for the tight confines of urban combat. The modus operandi is clearly to use those IJJs to constantly position oneself behind or out of reach of an enemy and savage rear armour with hard-hitting single shots.

I’m not convinced it’s really a workable strategy to trade away fully half your firepower for. Especially against Clantech which can easily amass banks of ERMLs and HMLs to accomplish similar damage output in smaller, faster Mechs. Who wins the backstabbing game then? I’d like to hear the opinions of any who’ve used this model.

Mad Cat Mk II 6, 3139 – Finally, we have the Mk II 6, the Sharks’ latest entry in the series and all poised to wade into the latest conflagration all guns firing and sporting the absolute latest in Clantech… and that is the brand-new Harjel III Repair System, taking Elemental suit repair systems to ever greater heights. Harjel III is simple and straightforward; every time the protected location suffers an armour hit, that location repairs a total of 4 points of damage at the end of the turn, up to the limit of the installed armour.

As the Mk II 6 carries near-maximum armour on all locations (minus just about 1.5 tons or 29 points) and Harjel III on all torsos and limbs, the result is a redefinition of the word “zombie” to “self-healing zombie”, and if that phrase alone doesn’t scare the pants off you, it… well… should. A location shot with an IS PPC will heal 60% of the shot. An IS Medium Laser or LRM volley, 80%. Harjel III laughs at SRMs and LBX Cluster. If your shots scatter as badly as mine does in gameplay, you can spin up your trusty Davionista RAC-5 and spit a quarter-ton of shells at the Mk II 6, and watch each round land on separate locations and do no more damage than an LBX-5.

“Nuke it from orbit, it’s the only way to make sure” must really have been a thought crossing the mind of more than one of the Mk II 6’s opponents, especially the Steiners and Mariks who probably watched these things lumbering unstoppably at them like some mechanical horror movie monster. Alright, to be honest it’s not really that bad, but it does take significant amounts of concentrated fire to bring down this beast. Perhaps the real danger it poses is that while you’re busy focusing fire on the Mk II 6, its Starmates are busy focusing fire on your far-more-squishy units.

Like the Mk II Enhanced, the Mk II 6 sacrifices firepower for this protection and carries just 2 ER PPCs and 4 ER MLs. 20 double heat sinks mean you should start firing the moment those Clan headcappers are in range, aim to come closer and switch in the lasers and a PPC.

Notable Pilots

Why, none other than Star Colonel Aisa Thastus of New Exford, Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries, naturally. Once a vicious Clan marauder, now our vicious Clan marauder – perhaps a little ironically, considering the Mad Cat Mk II’s place in the Clantech export market.

Final Thoughts

In a way, it’s fascinating to see the ways the Mad Cat Mk II has evolved over the years. It’s almost a shame that the chassis isn’t an OmniMech, because each different variant plays a distinct role – the Original is the disgustingly min-maxed 3060s Gauss-ERML combo we all know and have a complex love-hate relationship with, then we have the Close Combat, HAG and Defence (aka Hardened Armour) variants, then the ERLL, IJJ and the Really Very Advanced Tech variants. Many of these require a shift in gameplay style to various degrees.

At the end of the day, perhaps the best measure of a Mech is its “Fun Quotient”, (though some might say only winning is fun), and regardless of how min-maxed or not a design is, the more fun you have with it, the better. And I can say that while I may have my preferences (which I think I have made obvious enough), nearly every variant of the Mad Cat Mk II lineup is fun to play in different ways. On that score I’d give it an 8.5/10 at least.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 03 August 2018, 22:54:03 by Kidd »

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Mech of the Week: Mad Cat Mk II
« Reply #1 on: 03 August 2018, 22:48:44 »
TBH there was too much stressing the Timberwolf nomenclature.  It's a Mad Cat MkII.  Even the Clans call it that.  Between that and the complaint about Clickytech you already lost me in your intro.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #2 on: 03 August 2018, 22:50:16 »
I always like to add the bread crumb trail about the Mad Cat MK II.

After the Jaguars were destroyed by the Inner Sphere Clan Diamond Shark managed to get the plans for the Warhawk.

They never built Warhawks though.

What they did do however is produce the Mad Cat MK II in record time.

One might notice similarities.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #3 on: 04 August 2018, 00:27:56 »
A decent mech that never got out from under the shadow of the Timber Wolf.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #4 on: 04 August 2018, 02:16:42 »
As you might guess, I'm a fan.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Fragger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 04 August 2018, 03:22:57 »
I'm using the 5 a lot in my Bansons Raiders force. It's actually fine for it's BV, just play to it's strenghts. It is a medium mobility mech with a heavies firepower and assault class armor. So bully mediums like an assault, and hop around assaults and heavies like a medium.
It is also cool to relocatr so much firepower and armor so quickly. Try to fool your enemies slower elements into chasing you and then just hop away. You have the armor for it.
I don't like the gauss because of it's minimum range, but I can live with it.

And if everything else fails, you can always go for a DFA.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #6 on: 04 August 2018, 04:18:30 »
As you might guess, I'm a fan.

Oh so that was you who commissioned that, its an amazing piece of art! :D
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #7 on: 04 August 2018, 08:01:39 »
And a darn good article on a formidable and impressive looking Mech.  The 6 seems like a monster and the Enhanced is tough as old boots (and looks very nice too!) and the other variants sure are interesting.  The 6 and Enhanced fix this Mech's biggest flaw (in my eyes) in that its protection is at best adequate, and if it wants to get in to use its ER mediums, its going to be giving and taking a lot of fire.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 04 August 2018, 08:31:44 »
I like it.  Fun top-end mech for an IS unit that can meet up with some SharkFox traders.  I don’t really get the author’s opinion that the original is optimized; it seems like a normal canon intentionally-lesss-than perfect design to me.  I mean, sure it’s a good and enjoyable mech, but just think of all the tonnage you’d free up switching the gausses for CERPPCs.  That would be optimized.  As it is it’s quite solid, but a hair thin skinned and ammunition-dependent, and a bit wasteful tonnage-wise.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #9 on: 04 August 2018, 10:03:40 »
I've seen the Mad Cat Mk II standard used a couple of times and it's always under-performed.  The firepower it brings for its BV is underwhelming compared to other Clan assaults of similar price.  Going by the weapon load, it's actually pretty similar to a Gunslinger IIC, just with added missiles.  I'd love to play with some of the Dark Age configurations if I ever get a chance.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #10 on: 04 August 2018, 12:02:17 »
I have used the E on table top . . . which was fun since it was the first time my group had run into Hardened Armor and my wife was using her Great Turtle with Hardened Armor on the other side.  While the ER Pulse would IMO have been better served by plain ERLL & maybe MPL under on each arm, it works since it introduces some advanced tech why not trot out some more?

Yes, the 4 has that annoying bit about the arms!  WHY!  I am also trying to remember if it has DHS in the legs, if not WHY!  As a big believer in the cERLL its my kind of design, I have not used it but want to, and its been a while since I used the mini . . . hmm . . .

Did Aisa Thastus ever make it into canon?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 04 August 2018, 13:02:18 »

but just think of all the tonnage you’d free up switching the gausses for CERPPCs.  That would be optimized.

I tried. You run into heat problems. That's the advantage of the Mk II and I think the reason why its BV is high. Its sustained firepower can match other common Clan Assaults, though it loses out if those Mechs start pushing the heat curve. That is why I compared it to IS Gauss-ML Assaults - thematically it is a very Spheroid Mech, indeed something of a Gunslinger IIC.

Did Aisa Thastus ever make it into canon?
I'm not sure, that bit's in there for fun cuz I can't think of any notable Mk II pilots at all.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #12 on: 04 August 2018, 13:35:09 »
The Mad Cat Mk II is one of the few mechs I've seen get killed by taking 6 pilot injuries in one round.

There was a guy I used to play against who had absolutely horrible luck in that regard.  In this instance, we were doing a Clan Star v Star fight.  I took a Ghost Bear star vs his Nova Cat star.

I charged my Kodiak right up into the face of his Mad Cat Mk II and unloaded.  Critted a gauss rifle, critted an LRM ammo bin, hit his head with an SRM, and caused some leg crits that caused him to fall- he failed the PSR to avoid pilot injury.

Anyway, I don't mind the GRs on the standard, but it really wouldn't have much heat issues if it switched to PPCs: with 16 tons to work with it could easily install enough heat sinks to keep cool.  But the 5 is the one that I'd really like to have a PPC instead of a GR- with all the mass eaten up by the IJJs, it could use more tonnage for extra secondary weapons.  Also, to have some weapons that don't explode.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Nightsong

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #13 on: 04 August 2018, 15:08:41 »
The Mad Cat Mk II is one of the few mechs I've seen get killed by taking 6 pilot injuries in one round.

There was a guy I used to play against who had absolutely horrible luck in that regard.  In this instance, we were doing a Clan Star v Star fight.  I took a Ghost Bear star vs his Nova Cat star.

I charged my Kodiak right up into the face of his Mad Cat Mk II and unloaded.  Critted a gauss rifle, critted an LRM ammo bin, hit his head with an SRM, and caused some leg crits that caused him to fall- he failed the PSR to avoid pilot injury.

Ouch. Ammo feedback’s a real sow. Was the pilot even conscious when they turned into cockpit paint?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #14 on: 04 August 2018, 15:49:18 »
Technically, yes, since it all happened in the same phase.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #15 on: 04 August 2018, 16:11:47 »
0 to Coma in 10 seconds!
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #16 on: 04 August 2018, 16:18:55 »
Why you don't charge a Kodiak noted
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #17 on: 04 August 2018, 17:00:50 »
Technically, it was more of why you don't stand your ground against a charging Kodiak.  It was hilarious: three mechs were firing on that Kodiak and managed to scrape every bit of armor off its front but the 9 points on the head without going internal anywhere.  And the Kodiak killed two of them.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #18 on: 05 August 2018, 00:50:23 »
TBH there was too much stressing the Timberwolf nomenclature.  It's a Mad Cat MkII.  Even the Clans call it that.  Between that and the complaint about Clickytech you already lost me in your intro.
I am inclined to agree with TDC.  What one thinks of one version of the game or another is irrelevant to review of the mech.  It predisposes the reader from that point out to tune out the rest of the review for better or worse.

A decent mech that never got out from under the shadow of the Timber Wolf.
Its a fairly large shadow that quite a few, if any, in its lineage or derived from can say they successfully escaped.

That being said here are the rest of my thoughts on each.

Base model:  I’ve found the base model good, but if given an alternative, I’ll take something else.  As you stated the arm and torso location can’t take more than one ER PPC or Gauss shot.  When I’m paying 3100+ BV for a mech I want it to last.

There is just a bit too much exploding bits on this design for the cost I’m sinking into it.  I’d rather take a Supernova.  It lacks the head capping ability of a Gauss Rifle, but with a similar armor profile and a standard engine, it has similar damage potential while losing out on a small amount of indirect fire.

MkII 2: Same armor problem and even more exploding bits in the torsos.  I’ve not actually looked at this design closely before, but there is definitely potential.  The amount of sandblasting this thing could do is pretty impressive.  I’m going to take a look at this thing later and see what I can tweak.  It gave me a wonderful idea to test out for the next game I GM.

MKII 3:  This seems like a decent enough design that when paired with a base model would excel.  BV, again, turns me off before I get to the armor bug of the earlier models.

MKII 4:  Not much to say on this.  You are spot on with your review of this version of the MKII.  It seems to me to be IS commander’s wet dream.  60 LRM tubes to lay down, mine fields or IDF and when it is finally out of ammo, 4 ER Large Lasers to clean up what is left still standing while staying at long range.

MKII 5: I’ve used this model before and it is wonderful for its BV and it corrects the issues with the earlier models armor layout.  My opinion of the 4’s weapon load are pretty much the same as Ogre’s, the design should skip the Gauss and go with, at least, 2 ER PPCs.  I’m less critical of the IHLs on the design, but they become redundant if you swap out for ER PPCs .

With all that said, it’s what is there that leads to the low BV.  The only thing I would swap on this design is the IHM Laser for either an ECM or it and the L Probe for a Watchdog.  I don’t think I’ve ever used the IHM laser and the ECM swap makes the BV cheaper!  What it lacks in firepower it makes up in better protection, coast, and mobility.  If you want to go with the firepower the earlier models offer, go with another design.  If you want something that is unique and that your opponent is really going to have to think about where it is going to be at all times, play this Madcat MK II.

MKII 6:  For this thing to be great, you have to do something you don’t want to do and that is take damage.   While the MK5 has a lousy damage curve when compared with others of similar weight class, this design suffers from some odd heat management if you have to jump all over the place.  With that in mind, it’s entertaining to take a few Clan PPC shots early on and then jump behind some hills to regrow you armor.  If there is an environmental factor such as a vacuum or breach roll you have to deal with then this design is easily worth the weapons lost to mount the Harjel system.

Enhanced:  This is one of those designs that throwing too much advanced tech on a design devalues it in my eyes.  The additional armor protection, at least to me, is of minimal benefit.  Large gains are made in the protection of the CT, H, and legs and the weapon damage suffers because of it.
It has enough firepower to be annoying, but not scary. A roll back to LPLs makes sense or changing over to ER PPCs.  The later comes with a modest increase in BV.  It’s deficiency, to a degree, also its serve as its charm.  With low end damage for an assault mech it will likely be the last thing shot out from under you.  Then again if you have 2700+ BV to throw away on a unit, buy something more frightening. 

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #19 on: 05 August 2018, 02:20:14 »
The frightening part of the E is that its hard to stop . . . you walk forward and just keep firing, and it can reach longer than LPL and its own LRMs.
Colt Ward

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #20 on: 05 August 2018, 10:19:10 »
Like every other mech with Hardened Armor, the E gets better thanks to the changes that were recently made to Hardened Armor's rules.

Akira213

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
« Reply #21 on: 05 August 2018, 13:23:42 »
I've seen the Mad Cat Mk II standard used a couple of times and it's always under-performed...

This !!
A perfect example why secondline machinery is seen as inferior.
Sorry excuse for a Timber Wolf.
Can't stand it...
"What should I want in heaven when all my best friends burn in hell..."

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #22 on: 05 August 2018, 13:53:39 »
Lol, secondline equipment is often as good as frontline.

Someone compared it to the Gunslinger, which is pretty apt since they both have Gauss in the arms and MLs to back up . . . the Mad Cat Mk II however is heavier, runs faster and jumps farther.

Comparing it to a Timberwolf is silly . . . question is, does it perform as well as or better than a Executioner or the couple of Blood Asps that jump- like the A or the E.  Interestingly, the E is pretty similar in the loadout if not placement.
Colt Ward

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 05 August 2018, 14:01:45 »
First of, I really liked the article. Including the intro.
The old one had none of the newer variants.

Second,
Like every other mech with Hardened Armor, the E gets better thanks to the changes that were recently made to Hardened Armor's rules.
what changes were those?
The mech seems like a solid assault design, though jump jets on a 90 tonner irk me a little. Wasn't there supposedly a RISC design based on it?

« Last Edit: 05 August 2018, 14:06:05 by UnLimiTeD »
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #24 on: 05 August 2018, 14:10:31 »
Second, what changes were those?

Hardened armor now takes half damage instead of just requiring two damage to fill one bubble.  It's part of the errata for the new printing of TacOps.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #25 on: 05 August 2018, 14:18:14 »
Lol, secondline equipment is often as good as frontline.

Second-line equipment is in many instances better than front-line.  Omnimechs, especially the FASA ones, often got saddled with rather horrific design compromises.

Comparing it to a Timberwolf is silly . . . question is, does it perform as well as or better than a Executioner or the couple of Blood Asps that jump- like the A or the E.  Interestingly, the E is pretty similar in the loadout if not placement.

It beats a lot of Gladiator configurations- it's got a little more side torso armor and a little less arm armor, but it isn't saddled with the awfulness that is the Jump Jets and MASC combo.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #26 on: 05 August 2018, 14:50:18 »

Anyway, I don't mind the GRs on the standard, but it really wouldn't have much heat issues if it switched to PPCs: with 16 tons to work with it could easily install enough heat sinks to keep cool.

You run into crit issues. It's not easy to deliver the same damage profile the Mk II does, unless you go full Hellstar. Even then the Mk II edges out the Hellstar once those ERMLs come into play. The

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #27 on: 05 August 2018, 14:52:43 »
To be honest, the Hellstar's damage profile isn't terribly impressive for a Clan Assault Mech.  It just has the ability to fire four headcappers indefinitely.

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: 05 August 2018, 17:00:58 »
Hardened armor now takes half damage instead of just requiring two damage to fill one bubble.  It's part of the errata for the new printing of TacOps.
Well, damn, that IS useful.
Wish I'd have heard of that. Though I think I got mine over BattleCorps, so I doubt I'll get a new download.
There's certainly a lot of clan weapons with uneven damage numbers.
Regarding firepower - I think 60 damage at long range is indeed impressive - you pay with range for damage.
A Bane 3 has just 20% more.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #29 on: 05 August 2018, 17:06:52 »
At range, yes, but the comparison was to the Mad Cat Mk II once it's gotten close enough to use its ER Mediums: at that point you run into a lot of Clan mechs that can throw out more than 60 points a round, though not all with heat efficiency and not all in 15 point clusters.