Author Topic: Mech of the week: War Dog WR-DG-*  (Read 13904 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: Mech of the week: War Dog WR-DG-*
« Reply #30 on: 23 August 2018, 19:25:28 »
Caeser's gauss rifle is in the torso . . . and also thin skinned, but whatever floats your boat!
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #31 on: 24 August 2018, 09:54:23 »
and also thin skinned, but whatever floats your boat!

That depends on your Caesar.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #32 on: 24 August 2018, 10:00:44 »
Dunno, Julius went internal from a bunch of small hits.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #33 on: 24 August 2018, 10:17:21 »
Dunno, Julius went internal from a bunch of small hits.

Funny fact, the Brutus has a pair of large lasers, just enough to crit the rear side torsos of a Caesar.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #34 on: 24 August 2018, 10:21:54 »
It would be funny to learn that was the point . . .
Colt Ward

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #35 on: 24 August 2018, 11:02:13 »
Now, if it's possible to stencil "Et" and "Tu" on the sides of the barrels...
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

misterpants

• Warrant Officer
  • Bringing you the beats and grooves of Xin Sheng
« Reply #36 on: 27 August 2018, 12:43:56 »
Funny fact, the Brutus has a pair of large lasers, just enough to crit the rear side torsos of a Caesar.

Much to my disappointment, at best a Brutus only generates 20 hits (4x LRM, 2x LL, 14 SRM), 3 short of neatly completing the joke.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #37 on: 04 August 2020, 14:00:05 »
The War Dog . . . gets a cousin?

The Coyotes at the beginning of the Golden Century revisited a Star League prototype design to create a new mech for their touman- the Masauwu, the Hopi Spirit of Death.  The name keeps with the Coyote's AmerInd background . . .

. . . and the machine is pretty brutal.  Unfortunately for Clan players, the Coyotes lost interest for presumably the Omnis they rolled out.  The Masauwu follows the same engine/speed profile with JJs, has ECM & AMS, and a similar mix of ballistic, energy and missile weapons.  But the differences make it a more fearsome machine- it mounts 12.5 tons of armor, but its standard armor- and not unbalanced for the arm.  The skeleton uses Clan ES while the War Dog uses std.  The 'main gun' is a LB-10X rather than a Gauss Rifle with 3t ammo (saving a total of 5t comparatively) backed up by two large pulse lasers rather than varying sizes.  The Streaks are full systems rather than OS and a ERSL is the only other back up weapon.

This design fits in nicely with other Clan secondliners we already knew about with the same profiles- the Grizzly, Guillotine IIC, Orion IIC, Marauder IIC, and Warhammer IIC- it neither overshadows (powercreep) or underwhelms in comparison.  Heck, its got a great niche in that IIRC it is about the only Clan heavy secondline from that period that has a LB-10X.
Colt Ward

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #38 on: 05 August 2020, 14:48:02 »
Yeah I had to pull out my 3055 and read up on the War Dog!  Now I have a place for my War Dog miniature  :D

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 05 August 2020, 19:09:51 »
The War Dog . . . gets a cousin?

The Coyotes at the beginning of the Golden Century revisited a Star League prototype design to create a new mech for their touman- the Masauwu, the Hopi Spirit of Death.  The name keeps with the Coyote's AmerInd background . . .

. . . and the machine is pretty brutal.  Unfortunately for Clan players, the Coyotes lost interest for presumably the Omnis they rolled out.  The Masauwu follows the same engine/speed profile with JJs, has ECM & AMS, and a similar mix of ballistic, energy and missile weapons.  But the differences make it a more fearsome machine- it mounts 12.5 tons of armor, but its standard armor- and not unbalanced for the arm.  The skeleton uses Clan ES while the War Dog uses std.  The 'main gun' is a LB-10X rather than a Gauss Rifle with 3t ammo (saving a total of 5t comparatively) backed up by two large pulse lasers rather than varying sizes.  The Streaks are full systems rather than OS and a ERSL is the only other back up weapon.

This design fits in nicely with other Clan secondliners we already knew about with the same profiles- the Grizzly, Guillotine IIC, Orion IIC, Marauder IIC, and Warhammer IIC- it neither overshadows (powercreep) or underwhelms in comparison.  Heck, its got a great niche in that IIRC it is about the only Clan heavy secondline from that period that has a LB-10X.
Is this from the new recognition guide?
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #40 on: 05 August 2020, 19:20:50 »
It's from TRO: Golden Century.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #41 on: 05 August 2020, 19:22:28 »
Golden Century, uses Plog's art . . . but yeah, I plan on saying the Coyotes that left the Homeworlds with the Crusader Wolves brought one back- just for fun in my Epsilon Galaxy cluster- Clan warriors in 'slow' mechs supplemented by those taken from the Lyran supply.  Give it to a McKibben . . . and I really want for 3150 to pull the LPL for ERLL & AES in that arm.

But I do love the way it follows the same pattern of the original War Dog and fits into the fluff.
Colt Ward

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #42 on: 10 August 2020, 21:01:06 »
Golden Century, uses Plog's art . . . but yeah, I plan on saying the Coyotes that left the Homeworlds with the Crusader Wolves brought one back- just for fun in my Epsilon Galaxy cluster- Clan warriors in 'slow' mechs supplemented by those taken from the Lyran supply.  Give it to a McKibben . . . and I really want for 3150 to pull the LPL for ERLL & AES in that arm.

But I do love the way it follows the same pattern of the original War Dog and fits into the fluff.

Sorry but I don't agree. To me, it doesn't feel like a War Dog at all. So, we're supposed to look at this as a design that looks like a near-clone of the War Dog, until you get up close and notice the differences in weapon load and armour layout? (and oh yeah, the fact that it's jump-capable).

I would have had absolutely no problem with a War Dog (II)C called by this name.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #43 on: 10 August 2020, 21:20:20 »
Given that in-universe the Masauwa was designed before the War Dog, it makes sense that it's got a bunch of differences.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #44 on: 10 August 2020, 21:50:18 »
Tech base . . . you have Ballistic in one arm, pulse lasers in the other, missiles in legs, ECM and AMS?  Clan tech let it have the big guns, IS designs made it step down.

We do not know if the original prototype had a laser in the torso or it was done to back up the 'weaker' arm.  Part of the problem is the checking of the design as originally entered . . . get rid of some of the abundant Gauss ammo and you could strip that torso MPL to make a 2nd LPL in the arm.

Honestly, this is a sort of 'hard point' customization we talk about to limit some of the crazy customizations possible from the rules standpoint.
Colt Ward

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #45 on: 10 August 2020, 22:07:02 »
Given that in-universe the Masauwa was designed before the War Dog, it makes sense that it's got a bunch of differences.

How different is the War Dog that was eventually built in the Inner Sphere from the Star League-era specs that were recovered from Camelot Command?

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #46 on: 10 August 2020, 22:07:20 »

Actually no, the War Dog was a star league era design that was rediscovered and only slightly altered in the 3050s. Specifically, a small pulse laser was added to the back of the head.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #47 on: 16 August 2020, 09:52:31 »
Yup, that's what I'd do with a ton.
That's what I've always been missing in my life.
Still, there's a bunch of mechs that are supposedly the next generation in a line of similarly named mechs, yet share no similarity besides having legs and (presumably) a cockpit.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #48 on: 16 August 2020, 10:08:12 »
You have made my week.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #49 on: 16 August 2020, 11:28:59 »
Actually no, the War Dog was a star league era design that was rediscovered and only slightly altered in the 3050s. Specifically, a small pulse laser was added to the back of the head.

It was a Stat League era blueprint. They didn't actually put it into production.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #50 on: 16 August 2020, 14:51:45 »
I have to say name they used was unique.  I really didn't like it.  I would never had associated the design to that.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #51 on: 16 August 2020, 17:09:03 »
It was a Stat League era blueprint. They didn't actually put it into production.

Snord's Irregulars also recovered several chassis, so it wasn't completely on paper.

Regardless, you said "the Masauwa was designed before the War Dog". Not that it was built first.
« Last Edit: 16 August 2020, 17:11:10 by Liam's Ghost »
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Register