Author Topic: Combine-arms regiments..What is their exaxt make-up?  (Read 1991 times)

hismaimai9999

• Recruit
    • rut ham cau quan go vap
Combine-arms regiments..What is their exaxt make-up?
« on: 21 October 2018, 01:44:29 »
Hey Guys!  Got a question.  What is the make up a for a full combine-arms regiment for all the factions? For a reinforced one? a division? ect..

Thanks
Công ty rut ham cau quan go vap giá rẻ dịch vụ rút hầm cầu quận gò vấp uy tín

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: Combine-arms regiments..What is their exaxt make-up?
« Reply #1 on: 21 October 2018, 02:16:30 »
Okay, my take. Most Houses organise in terms of coherent regiments. So for example, in 3067 the 5th Galedon Rangers has it's regiment of 'Mechs, accompanied on a regular basis by the 42nd Aerospace Wing, 156th Galedon Regulars armour regiment, and the 503rd Motorized Infantry regiment.

In the field, the CO of the 5th might spin off a combined arms taskforce at company or battalion size, for a particular mission. Eg. a company each of 'Mechs and infantry to support an artillery park, or lance of light 'mechs, platoon of hovers, and infantry in fast APCs to raid enemy lines.

The Davions & Steiners formalised Regimental Combat Teams - formalised as a regiment of 'Mechs, three of armour, five of infantry, two aero wings and an artillery battalion. Following the Jihad, it was hard to maintain this level of forces, so they moved to the Light Combat Team - similarly made, but with battalions rather than regiments.

You can get an overall guide here. Short form - for your game, your headspace, do it how you like. I have a hobby of making combined arms battalions - a company each of 'Mechs, armour, and infantry - because that's how I roll ;)

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Onion2112

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 22 October 2018, 20:49:13 »
As Worktroll says it’s probably usually ad hoc formations, but here are some examples of Regts that I have come across:

The Andurien Rangers (as described in the FM:3085) have 3 combined arms battalions each of a company of mechs, AFVs (or maybe VTOLs) and Battlearmour. My thought is that this is the most likely post Jihad model for a CA Regt.

The Outworlds or Raven Alliance Militia Regts have always been a mech battalion plus 2 battalions of Infantry/armour.

Post 3085 The Federated Suns Armoured Cavalry Regts have an attached Auxiliary Regt made up of a Battle armour battalion, AFV battalion and a VTOL battalion.

Of course there’s the Augmented Regts of the Capellans, I reckon by 3145 a typical Augmented mech Regt would have 108 mechs, 16 AFVs and 128 Battlearmour (my thought is that Battlearmour is now permantly attached).

Plus there’s the old Eridani Light Horse “Light Horse Regt” Organisation which has company’s of 1-2 mech lances 1-2 AFV lances 0-1 ASF lances and maybe an infantry platoon. Then smaller again they had recon lances of a mech, 2 recon AFVs and an infantry squad.

The RCT is really a combined arms Division (or a real world Corps) with it typically being 9 Regts of mixed ground combat troops.

The LCT being about 9-11 mixed ground battalions is a Brigade (or a real world Division).

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #3 on: 23 October 2018, 10:01:33 »
worktroll has it pretty much laid out though I would make one other point.

Units are never at their full/book strength (in rare cases they are over!) so while you may on paper have three battalions of BA in that infantry regiment, losses (for example, in the FCCW) or just plain being at the bottom of the que for supply (Legions of Vega, Vic loyalists in 3060, militias) may mean that you effectively have two battalions of total troops. 

So as an example . . . generic BA regiment on paper has a command company and three line battalions (we will skip over support elements).  They got hit hard in Random Action #43, taking over 50% losses in troopers and higher than that in equipment but they can salvage enough suits from the losses to equip the casualties that will recover.  First Battalion lost its CO and has less than four platoons survivors.  Second Battalion commander is very savvy and managed to rotate his troops through the assault to keep his strength up and has just over two companies of effectives.  Third Battalion got wrecked, the green CO got a lot of her troops killed in frontal assaults and can barely muster just short of a company.  The command company was used as a reserve and got involved in the fighting, it reflects the whole regiment at half strength- but the Colonel needs to consolidate his regiment to make it combat capable.  Thus the provisional organization has the regiment's Colonel retiring his command company to take personal command of First Battalion and transfer some of Command's troopers to bring it up to two companies.  Second Battalion is left mostly alone but trimmed back to be at two companies of strength- the Colonel wants to leave them as intact as possible so they are combat effective but transfers a few personnel judiciously to First and Third.  Promotions for those troops taking leadership slots in First and lateral transfers to Third to stiffen the unit.  Third has some problems, the green battalion commander is going to be in charge of a single company but its comprised of pieces of her battalion that did not originally work together- its going to take some time to make them a unit rather than component parts.  The Colonel knows this and transferred some of the experienced NCOs & platoon leaders to accelerate this process.

So that is a 10 company regiment with 50% losses- inactive command company, 1st BN at 2 companies, 2nd BN at 2 companies, and 3rd BN at a single company.

Onion- before the FCCW the 1FSAC already had BA, hovertanks & APCs though I am not sure of the VTOLs.  It was one of those fluff bits that made me go- "No 5/8 Myrmidons??"
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Onion2112

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 23 October 2018, 19:20:34 »
Hi Colt,
In the FM:3085 the write up on the Fed Suns AC mentions the Auxiliary Regt (after being expanded to a Regt.) as being composed of Battlearmour, VTOLS and Hovertanks.
Given how these elements were described in the FM:Fed Suns, I took that as an indication that a VTOL battalion was added.

Another unit I forgot to mention in my previous post was the St Ives Janissaries, these are a semi-copy of the Ceti Hussars RCT set up. ie a St Ives Janissary Regiment Combat Command (by combat Command I mean Mech Regt and attached conventional regts) is divided into 3 "Commands" (each a regiment in size)
Each Command was theoretically composed of a Mech battalion, 2 AFV battalions and a BA company.

Id imagine the basic composition of the a Dark Age era Ceti Hussar LCT would be something similar to this; except the Battlearmour units are probably battalion sized and the mech units are company sized. But the battalions in these regimental sized "Commands" are further broken down at the company and lance level, and then re-formed into units.

Of course the 3 original Ceti Hussars RCTs are full combined arms RCTs, ie 3 Brigades divided into 2-3 Combined Arms Regts, unfortunately there no real specified composition - but you could take elements from a mech Regt, 3 AFV Regts and 5 Infantry regts and make whatever unit you want

Nebfer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 24 October 2018, 23:19:01 »
Their are also some Infantry units that contain an Armor battalion as part of their org, instead of three infantry battalions theirs two and a armor battalion, often comprised of IFVs for the other two battalions (Given the platoon nature of B-tech IFVs theirs room for a full tank company to support the unit). AFAIK most of these units are classed as Mechanized infantry regiments.

I also suspect that their are also Tank units that swap out a Tank battalion for a infantry one.

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #6 on: 25 October 2018, 08:04:29 »
FWIW, the Objectives series has information about militia units, which are usually combined arms formations. Each faction does them slightly differently, but close enough to each other that one PDF will probably contain the info you want.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #7 on: 25 October 2018, 08:52:17 »
Don't forget everyone's favorite: Comstar/Word of Blake!

these dudes are about the only forces I know of where their composition for combined arms are spelled out fairly well.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/ComStar_military_structure#Level_IV

AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 25 October 2018, 11:00:00 »
Work Troll is correct . The organizational formation started with the Star League and mostly seen during the reunification wars . Me during and after the Jihad I kept refining the combined arms to truccate as much as possible.  I shoehorn into an Overlord 24 mechs : 6 Aerospace fighters : 20 light combat vehicles : 1 Super Heavy Vehicle ( Tunbo or Buffalo ) for salvage : and 2 Platoons of Battle Armor . 8 of the Mechs are O Bakemono for Artillery . Add a CV drop ship and a couple pocket warships one jumpship can do wonders . People are refining and redefining all the time to see what works well . The Jihad and Ghost Bear Dominion conflicts did a lot of tweeking.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 25 October 2018, 12:23:42 »
That Overlord is packed Col Toda.  I prefer the Union-X 8 Mechs, 4 Fighters, plus a platoon of Battle Armor.  You could even drop half the fighters or a pair of mechs (likely light ones) to add a lance of light vehicles with crew quarters while not dropping that much efficacy.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #10 on: 25 October 2018, 12:37:01 »
And what supplies can you bring to keep all of that in operation?
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 25 October 2018, 18:00:44 »
And what supplies can you bring to keep all of that in operation?

If I calculated correctly almost 300 tons on my Union. The Overlord above is going to need a tag along cargo ship though I think Toda packed it to the gills.  Another failed potential upgrade in my opinion is the lack of an Overlord-X type vessel (except I made one in my AU).

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #12 on: 25 October 2018, 23:13:59 »
Yeah, I meant him . . .
Colt Ward

Register