Author Topic: TRO Succession Wars and Harmony Gold  (Read 147498 times)

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
TRO Succession Wars and Harmony Gold
« on: 28 February 2018, 00:04:21 »
You may continue your discussion here.

A few points:
- The mods will intervene on matters of moderation.
- Mod directives from the previous thread still hold.
- I'm issuing a new directive regarding the Robotech Palladium news from this evening as off topic except where it intersects with the lawsuit. Please start a new topic if you want to discuss that separately (which honestly should go in Off Topic).

- Colored beemers are barred from posting here out of a concern for propriety.
- This does not apply to PTBs.
« Last Edit: 28 February 2018, 00:10:26 by Bedwyr »
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Re: TRO Succession Wars and Harmony Gold
« Reply #1 on: 28 February 2018, 00:09:13 »
Any word on the documents released today?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 28 February 2018, 00:12:49 »
Reposting the relevant links and notes at the moment:

Harmony Gold: https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/5408625/83/harmony-gold-usa-inc-v-harebrained-schemes-llc/

PGI: ANSWER to 83 Amended Complaint and Affirmative Defenses with JURY DEMAND by Piranha Games, Inc..(Meiklejohn, Paul) (awaiting documents)

HBS/HHI: ANSWER to83 Amended Complaint (Second) and Affirmative Defenses by Harebrained Holdings, Inc., Harebrained Schemes LLC, Jordan Weisman.(Corning, James) (awaiting documents)

Harmony Gold v Tatsunoko arbitration: https://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=13613987763006822039&hl=en&as_sdt=6&as_vis=1&oi=scholarr (amended judgement confirming award)

And for clarification, we don't yet have the details as to why Harmony Gold terminated its relationship and license with Palladium Games.  Speculatively, it may be related to the arbitration's determination that Big West, and not Tatsunoko, had the rights to the Macross character and mecha designs, and as such Tatsunoko could not have licensed that to HG, who could not have licensed the production of miniatures (and the various sourcebooks with art) to Palladium.  That is possible, but not yet known, and is only stated here to clarify any misinterpretation as to its validity later.  It is simply speculation and nothing more.

Hoping someone can get 84 and 85 from PACER and post them up for the rest of us!

Edit: Also a clarification: the Tatsunoko, Big West, and other such legal actions only cover the Macross properties and their connection to Robotech as The Macross Saga.  The second and third arcs, Southern Cross and New Generation (Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross and Genesis Climber MOSPEADA in Japan) are not covered under the terms of these lawsuits nor is there any SC/II artwork or 'character' designs used by Battletech.
« Last Edit: 28 February 2018, 00:19:48 by ANS Kamas P81 »
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #3 on: 28 February 2018, 00:22:53 »
The only remotely on topic thing about the Robotech Tactics news I wonder is if Harmony Gold refrained from offering a renewal to Palladium because they're worried that it might open them up to lawsuits in the future, now that it is increasingly apparent that they didn't have rights to those images in the first place.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #4 on: 28 February 2018, 00:24:31 »
The only remotely on topic thing about the Robotech Tactics news I wonder is if Harmony Gold refrained from offering a renewal to Palladium because they're worried that it might open them up to lawsuits in the future, now that it is increasingly apparent that they didn't have rights to those images in the first place.

Well...

Conduct yourselves accordingly. :)
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #5 on: 28 February 2018, 00:34:37 »
if it is, my contacts in Palladium didn't know about it. (i am rather more bummed over the loss of the RPG than RTT.. i was working with one of their writers on Ghost Fleet. we had such grand ideas and plans..)

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #6 on: 28 February 2018, 00:36:24 »
if it is, my contacts in Palladium didn't know about it. (i am rather more bummed over the loss of the RPG than RTT.. i was working with one of their writers on Ghost Fleet. we had such grand ideas and plans..)

I doubt we'd ever know in any definite capacity. Oh well, on to other wild speculations...
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #7 on: 28 February 2018, 01:07:22 »
Back to thread watching...

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #8 on: 28 February 2018, 01:11:19 »
The thing from PACER I am curious about is that the defendants have seemingly changed course from seeking dismissal to moving to a jury trial, at least if i understand the docket header correctly.

I am curious about the ahift in strategy, but need the full document to appreciate
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 28 February 2018, 01:16:19 »
Well...

Conduct yourselves accordingly. :)
My apologies I tend to get heated when Palladium is involved.

Back on topic, I don't think the loss of licence has anything to do with the lawsuit so that's probably a dead horse in this thread.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #10 on: 28 February 2018, 01:17:24 »
Pinging for following
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
  • Delete this account, please?
« Reply #11 on: 28 February 2018, 02:07:42 »
Meanwhile, Back in Tower City where Le Bron has been seen in drag, carrying a bag full of Unseen Miniatures that, if he is allowed to get on the Red Line, gets off at W.98th, takes the #26 Detroit Ave bus BACK to Tower City, he just might impact the miniature's value of Unseen miniatures by a factor of 3,000. Assuming he can get his wy-fi working at the Q...

What? Station Keeping is too boring to thread ping...

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #12 on: 28 February 2018, 02:21:54 »
I'll happily admit I don't understand the Legalese but this (I think?) is looking good...right?
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #13 on: 28 February 2018, 02:38:22 »
This is a most interesting development for sure.

The timing just seems too good to not get a bit excited.

But I am just rational enough to know RTT going down in flames likely does not have anything to do with the current court case.  Far too likely it has to do with Harmony Gold realizing that Kevin over promises and under delivers.   

Phobos101

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 28 February 2018, 03:53:37 »
This is a most interesting development for sure.

The timing just seems too good to not get a bit excited.

But I am just rational enough to know RTT going down in flames likely does not have anything to do with the current court case.  Far too likely it has to do with Harmony Gold realizing that Kevin over promises and under delivers.   

Pure speculation, but my guess is that HG look for "set and forget" investments for the RT IP, requiring minimum maintenance and expenditure, ideally being able to sit back pick up some royalties and Palladium, in the current climate, are too high maintenance for their needs, especially considering the ticking clock on HG's licence.
Seems to me this is just smart business by HG not getting in too deep (by bailing out PB) when the opportunity for returns is so limited.

TL;DR: Yeah, it's probably not directly related to the court case, but is still another detail in the broader picture.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 28 February 2018, 04:24:09 »
just curious i seem to recall that pb had a bit of an issue with money to tune of 250k? was it some one within company that took of with it? it was about just before or after the rt minigame was released?dont remember details but pb had some argument over the license at the time after the incident. may that had effect on current reason why hoardmegold is dropping pb? sorry i had not been following the story and it had been awhile.
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Skyth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 28 February 2018, 04:52:20 »
Pinged to watch the thread.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #17 on: 28 February 2018, 06:51:18 »
Tagging to keep tabs on things. Thanks guys
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #18 on: 28 February 2018, 06:56:55 »
just curious i seem to recall that pb had a bit of an issue with money to tune of 250k? was it some one within company that took of with it? it was about just before or after the rt minigame was released?dont remember details but pb had some argument over the license at the time after the incident. may that had effect on current reason why hoardmegold is dropping pb? sorry i had not been following the story and it had been awhile.

The answers are: long, long before Robotech: Tactics and beyond the scope of this thread
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

The_Livewire

• Warrant Officer
    • The Livewire's Battletech Blog
« Reply #19 on: 28 February 2018, 07:35:48 »
Not a lawyer, but if I'm understanding it almost sounds like "We want a dismissal, if we don't get it, we want a jury trial," quiaff?
Alamo - When you care enough to send the very best.

And Purifiers *still* suck.

Now doing battletech blogging
https://livewire2112.blogspot.com/search/label/Battletech

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #20 on: 28 February 2018, 08:51:18 »
84 & 85 are just like the answers to the original complaint filed at the beginning of the case. With this out of the way we will probably see another set of motions for dismissal or summary judgement.

The big question is going to be how much has changed from the initial answer filed with the original (and FAC) complaint. I wonder if the PDFs will be up on courtlistener soon or will this be another set of docs that require payment. Should hopefully know in a few days I guess.

abou

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: 28 February 2018, 08:54:48 »
I'm just going to sign up now. For $5 a document, I can swing it. I imagine if you were a professional, getting the monthly subscription would be the way to go.

Edit:

Here we go.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=110GWFwE1dkSEKT7jmli5ytS46LtFrooZ
https://drive.google.com/open?id=18rwN_fv1uFwX4Q7010m1mdx2p1IDYlc2
« Last Edit: 28 February 2018, 09:05:54 by abou »

abou

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 28 February 2018, 09:18:52 »
I don't remember if this was in the answer to the first complaint, but just came across this in the PGI defense:

Response to Paragraph No. 16
Piranha denies that the warrior robots images shown in the table in paragraph 16 are
“depicted in the Robotech copyright registrations owned by Harmony Gold.” The copyright
registrations listed in paragraph 15 and attached as Exhibit A of Harmony Gold’s SAC are
directed to motion pictures. The images in the table in paragraph 16 appear to have been copied
from a book titled Macross: Perfect Memory, the copyright of which is registered to Big West
and others, not Harmony Gold or Tatsunoko.
Piranha lacks knowledge or information sufficient
to form a belief as to the truth of the remaining allegations of paragraph 16 of the SAC and, on
that basis, denies them.

I love that.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 28 February 2018, 10:31:03 »
Piranha denies that Harmony Gold owns the copyrights to any of the warrior robots
identified above.

It's glorious to see the legalspeak equivalent of "You gabbaheys don't even HAVE the copyrights!".

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: 28 February 2018, 11:42:31 »
Haven't read them myself yet, but here are the most recent responses from PGI and HBS:

Docket 84 - https://1drv.ms/b/s!ApDHaN8p702HgiOJsLmXZedQCP8h

Docket 85 - https://1drv.ms/b/s!ApDHaN8p702HgiLDquuojxdYmJ-Y

There is a Docket 86, but it has no substantive information in it. Someone just screwed up a signature page and 86 fixes that. Not gonna pay for that one!

EDIT: Ok, went ahead and read through them real fast. PGI isn't backing down. They are pushing the 'you don't have the rights you claim to' angle. HBS basically claims the same thing, but without as much detail as PGI's response. PGI's response, #84, is the more interesting one. I will not at all be surprised to see PGI re-submit a motion for dismissal.
« Last Edit: 28 February 2018, 12:01:36 by sadlerbw »

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #25 on: 28 February 2018, 12:18:31 »

It will be interesting to see how the case will eventually end.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: 28 February 2018, 13:46:26 »
Prior to this ongoing discussion, I don't think I would have expected the detailed back and forth of US civil litigation to really capture my interest and attention.

Who knew?

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #27 on: 28 February 2018, 14:22:14 »
1. Plaintiff Harmony Gold U.S.A., Inc., is a California corporation with its
principal place of business in Los Angeles, California.

ANSWER: The Harebrained Defendants lack knowledge or information sufficient to
form a belief about the truth of the allegations in this paragraph, and on that basis deny them.
"We don't even legally acknowledge your existence."  WOW.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #28 on: 28 February 2018, 14:23:31 »
"We don't even legally acknowledge your existence."  WOW.

This is a level of petty I can get behind

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #29 on: 28 February 2018, 14:50:37 »
Thanks for restarting the thread, Bedwyr. I agree that I expect PGI to issue another Motion to Dismiss.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP