Author Topic: Armouring components - Can this be done on Omnis?  (Read 1254 times)

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
Armouring components - Can this be done on Omnis?
« on: 05 March 2018, 08:53:05 »
Whilst we know that Omni's can be armoured, can you add or remove armour to different sections/parts on an Omni between variants?

Example;

Mad Coffee Prime has armoured hips
Mad Coffee A does not and has an armoured gyro

Etc etc

or can't you do this?  I'm going to guess its a no.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
  • Delete this account, please?
Re: Armouring components - Can this be done on Omnis?
« Reply #1 on: 05 March 2018, 10:01:40 »
Well looking at BTwiki, it's contradictory. http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Armored_Components#Game_Rules and the errata doesn't change that.

My guess would be fixed mounted items to the base design cannot be replaced with armored components but anything else? *shrug*

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 05 March 2018, 10:33:43 »
My guess would be fixed mounted items to the base design cannot be replaced with armored components but anything else? *shrug*

Well I just fired up SSW and loaded a Omni file. I can't armor any fixed stuff. The option doesn't even come up on stuff that could normally be armored. But the option does become available on pod mounted stuff.

At least with SSW it's done that way because the armored tonnage is directly added to the item in question. And that kinda makes sense.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #3 on: 05 March 2018, 10:34:22 »
Makes sense, so if you wanted to armour components its got to be a standard Mech. Fair dinks and thanks for clearing it up folks!
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Terrace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 05 March 2018, 10:55:23 »
There are OmniMech designs in the 32nd century that have armored components, like the Savage Wolf with its armored gyro, but said armoring is built into their base chassis, and thus shared across their configurations.
« Last Edit: 05 March 2018, 10:58:49 by Terrace »

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #5 on: 05 March 2018, 11:52:51 »
Well looking at BTwiki, it's contradictory. http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Armored_Components#Game_Rules and the errata doesn't change that.

You're better off checking Tactical Operations and its latest errata than looking at Sarna. Those have the most up to date rules, whereas Sarna may not. (And I say that as an admin at Sarna. ;) )
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 05 March 2018, 12:24:49 »
I really think that the Dark Ages really bent some of the rules on mech variants, especially on default omni chassis units.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 05 March 2018, 14:54:56 »
I'm pretty sure pod-mounted equipment can be armored. But armoring cannot be added afterwards to existing components.
EG you add a medium laser with armoring to, say, the Avatar. But you cannot add armoring to the 'Mechs fixed medium lasers.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #8 on: 05 March 2018, 19:53:08 »
Yeah, I would say it falls under the same reasoning as pulling the Small Cockpit for a regular on Celestials or the Med Lasers on a Avatar for ERML.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 07 March 2018, 13:39:16 »
Yeah, I would say it falls under the same reasoning as pulling the Small Cockpit for a regular on Celestials or the Med Lasers on a Avatar for ERML.
Based on Strat Ops, this may be loosening. The only modern reference I can find to the old "if you change any fixed equipment on an Omni, the magic will escape," rule is SO, pg 190, under Customizing-->Frankenmechs.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.