Author Topic: Flock Sealer  (Read 8314 times)

Sagittaire

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Catalyst Field Agent #455
Flock Sealer
« on: 14 February 2011, 22:12:54 »
Looking for ideas/tips on a good way to seal flock to my terrain board?
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."

Member of: Southern Ontario Battletech Society Facebook Group

wemic9

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Corporal
  • Terrain Monkey
    • Battletech Bastion
Re: Flock Sealer
« Reply #1 on: 14 February 2011, 22:55:15 »
I'm gonna assume that you've glued the flock down with pva or something. I personally just use a cheap matte sealer on my terrain. I initially do a light coat of the spray then after that drys I do a second coat. Even though the matte sealer is a spray paint should not affect the foam underneath the flock because the glue that you used to attach the flock should have sealed the foam and given it a "protective" layer.
Another option is to get a hand pump spray bottle and water down some PVA  glue to a milk-like consistency and then spray your flock with that. The flock will soak up the mixture and seal it pretty well
Repeat After Me
Bringing reality into Battletech voids the warranty
Happiness is a mushroom Cloud
I'm so anxious I feel like a hyperactive weasel on crack

john blackwell

• Lieutenant
  • putting on a happy face
« Reply #2 on: 15 February 2011, 02:45:45 »
I picked up bottles of White Rain Ultra Hold (unscented) for $1 each at a drug store.  I like the results.

JB
One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off
Pro pacis par vox excellens

sir_spamalot

• Major
  • Pip pip Spammy O. Jolly good can then.
    • Really Pathetic Productions
« Reply #3 on: 15 February 2011, 09:31:50 »
I picked up bottles of White Rain Ultra Hold (unscented) for $1 each at a drug store.  I like the results.

JB
Makes sense... it's certainly too volatile for hair.  ;D

RacerX

• Sergeant
    • Royal Terra Guard - MWO Home
« Reply #4 on: 15 February 2011, 12:06:58 »
MogPog mixed with water is pretty good.  Lay it down on the surface and then flock.  When you are done flocking and everything is dry you can reapply the mixture to the flock.  I will either spray it on or use a brush to apply.  If you use a brush I don't actually brush the surface.  I let the material collect at the end of the brush and then lightly touch a point where I want the material to go.  Then Capillary Acton will do the rest.  The material will run right out of the brush and onto into the flock and round the sides.  Let this dry completely and repeat until satisfied.
« Last Edit: 16 February 2011, 16:26:55 by RacerX »

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 15 February 2011, 13:13:40 »
How well does that work on things like static grass. I have been meaning to try the stuff to add another degree of cool to mini bases, but have been afraid it wouldn't last.
We are Clan Snow Raven. Masters of the void, and reapers of your souls

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

wemic9

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Corporal
  • Terrain Monkey
    • Battletech Bastion
« Reply #6 on: 15 February 2011, 18:31:13 »
How well does that work on things like static grass. I have been meaning to try the stuff to add another degree of cool to mini bases, but have been afraid it wouldn't last.

Static Grass works out great. I have a bunch of fantasy minis from several years ago that I placed it on that still have just about all of the grass on their bases. That being said, how place it is I use straight out of the bottle PVA glue applied to the spots that I want the grass to be with a brush. Me personally, static grass is the very last thing that I place on the base, even after I have already matte sealed the mini. The reason for this is that sometimes and depending on the matte sealer, the spray can collect and clump up or bead up on the static grass.
Repeat After Me

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 16 February 2011, 01:02:23 »
good to know. I'll probably pick some up next time I'm in my favorite hobby shop
We are Clan Snow Raven. Masters of the void, and reapers of your souls

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #8 on: 20 February 2011, 14:45:37 »
Hairspray.

Fatebringer

• Major
  • 138th Mechanized Infantry The Chicago Division
« Reply #9 on: 22 February 2011, 11:59:37 »
I wish Hairspray worked on my terrain :P I made an inactive volcano and used this granite spray, the thing never dried, Hairspray just made it sticky. 4 years later, the volcano still feels wet. :P

Star Captain Jared Siegel ~ Clan Snow Raven Forum
"If every mech was built like in MWO, we'd all be carrying ammo in our feet..."

john blackwell

• Lieutenant
  • putting on a happy face
« Reply #10 on: 22 February 2011, 12:16:17 »
I wish Hairspray worked on my terrain :P I made an inactive volcano and used this granite spray, the thing never dried, Hairspray just made it sticky. 4 years later, the volcano still feels wet. :P

I don't know if it makes a difference, but I use the pump bottles, NOT aerosol cans.

JB
One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off
Pro pacis par vox excellens

wemic9

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Corporal
  • Terrain Monkey
    • Battletech Bastion
« Reply #11 on: 26 February 2011, 13:20:16 »
If you want something to use that is convienant and will not destroy the foam you could always go with Krylon's Low Odor Clear Finish (Matte). Its a latex based spray paint so it won't melt your foam. When I first got it I tested it out on a piece of foam that didn't have anything on it to protect it and there was absolutely no damaged done to the foam even with an extremely heavy coat.
Repeat After Me

Fatebringer

• Major
  • 138th Mechanized Infantry The Chicago Division
« Reply #12 on: 01 March 2011, 12:51:40 »
I made my mountain out of Tin foil and Plaster of Paris :P

Star Captain Jared Siegel ~ Clan Snow Raven Forum
"If every mech was built like in MWO, we'd all be carrying ammo in our feet..."