Author Topic: Clan Jade Falcon III: Admittedly, We May Have Falconed a Little Too Hard  (Read 98705 times)

BlackAdderIII

• Recruit
  • Unabashed Clanner Scum™
She might have been crazy but she was crazy like a fox.

No she was crazy like your mate who stabs someone with a fork over a fiver and ends up sectioned for 25 years.

I've a good feeling about the future for CJF. The Wolves are gonna learn what happens to every faction that tries to hold Terra and we can build ourselves back up with some actually sane leadership and take back the territory we're inevitably going to loser when Tamar Rising comes out.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
****** Malvina...
I originally became Jade Falcon fan because the Jade Phoenix Trilogy was basically my first or second foray into BT fiction. Made big impression.
But later finding out about the Dark Age Falcon story line and what Malvina ended up being... just no. Can't be a fan of this.
It was OK while Aleksandr Hazen was around because he had interestingly humane outlook for a Falcon warrior and he kept Malvina reined in. Far more interesting character.
Frankly that would've been preferable to Falcon ever getting close to ilClanship, besides i figure with Alexsandr around, or better yet, without Malvina at all it would have been actually plausible for them to win. (The way Malvina was, it was a completely foregone conclusion, from meta-perspective.)

As happy as i'm about Malvina being gone, it is gonna take me quit a while to really shake that out from my mind.
And hopefully we can get rid of stuff like calling a civil war "Rending". Between Malvina and that, Dark Age Falcons were like some juvenile edgelord fantasy.
As much as i like the Dark Age era, the Falcons were easily the worst part of it. Maybe not the most nonsensical, the Wolves migrating across the Inner Sphere is still the single weirdest gamble ever done but at least it re-arranged the map in an interesting way and brought the Clans to map-southern Inner Sphere.

Need to see what next few years bring. And whether super cool designs like the Eyrie, Gyrfalcon, Jade Hawk, and Shrike survive, them being more associated with the Malvina-idiots and i figure that might've tainted them.

ShadowSwordmaster

• Sergeant
I would think we will have those designs still around. But I do wonder if we will see different type of mechs consdiering CJF new role in the ilClan.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
I would think we will have those designs still around. But I do wonder if we will see different type of mechs consdiering CJF new role in the ilClan.
Sure, they'll be around for a while. Just... are they still getting made? The Falcon OZ's future is not bright, thanks to Malvina. (Granted, the Wolf Empire territory isn't necessarily in much better shape but they did make more preparations for Terra campaign than the Falcons.)
Also worry they get retired quickly rather than merely used until they're gone, despite the Clans waste-not-want-not attitude some stuff does get retired occasionally.

As for new 'Mechs, the Ion Sparrow, Hierofalcon and Jade Phoenix probably form the core of Falcon OmniMechs for quite a while. They're advanced and quite well designed. Though as i note, the Falcons may not don't have much manufacturing capability at the moment, depending on the state of the OZ. Even if everything's lost, i'd expect the new Omnis to get new factories, rather than getting replaced right away.
I'm not sure their new role needs different designs anyhow. They're still a Clan. "Body guard" to another Clan is a bit of an oxymoron, as we're talking about warrior peoples. While honor guard duty will be part of the Falcon life, i expect their real use will be the most elite shock troops. Gotta keep those skills sharp after all.

Grahad

• Private
****** Malvina...
I originally became Jade Falcon fan because the Jade Phoenix Trilogy was basically my first or second foray into BT fiction. Made big impression.
But later finding out about the Dark Age Falcon story line and what Malvina ended up being... just no. Can't be a fan of this.
It was OK while Aleksandr Hazen was around because he had interestingly humane outlook for a Falcon warrior and he kept Malvina reined in. Far more interesting character.
Frankly that would've been preferable to Falcon ever getting close to ilClanship, besides i figure with Alexsandr around, or better yet, without Malvina at all it would have been actually plausible for them to win. (The way Malvina was, it was a completely foregone conclusion, from meta-perspective.)

As happy as i'm about Malvina being gone, it is gonna take me quit a while to really shake that out from my mind.
And hopefully we can get rid of stuff like calling a civil war "Rending". Between Malvina and that, Dark Age Falcons were like some juvenile edgelord fantasy.
As much as i like the Dark Age era, the Falcons were easily the worst part of it. Maybe not the most nonsensical, the Wolves migrating across the Inner Sphere is still the single weirdest gamble ever done but at least it re-arranged the map in an interesting way and brought the Clans to map-southern Inner Sphere.

Need to see what next few years bring. And whether super cool designs like the Eyrie, Gyrfalcon, Jade Hawk, and Shrike survive, them being more associated with the Malvina-idiots and i figure that might've tainted them.

Well, be happy then since it's written black on white that Melvina despised the new omnis ( the Jade Phenix especially became associated with the "old guard" anti-mongol movement) and preferred the battlemechs...

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
They also have the Thor II for however long they can hold Sudaten (I think)
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Well, be happy then since it's written black on white that Melvina despised the new omnis ( the Jade Phenix especially became associated with the "old guard" anti-mongol movement) and preferred the battlemechs...
I don't remember anything about Malvina despising the new Omnis, just that the Mongols tended to prefer the previous Totem 'Mechs, which naturally lead to some division, with non-Mongols gravitating toward the newer designs. I highly doubt Malvina gave shit either way. And i'm 99% sure that some notable pilot for the Hierofalcon or Ion Sparrow was a staunch Mongol.

They also have the Thor II for however long they can hold Sudaten (I think)
Well, that thing's been around since 30...88? Something like that. Those are common enough i don't worry about them. Or care, i strongly prefer the classic Summoner to the Grand Summoner.

ShadowSwordmaster

• Sergeant
Sure, they'll be around for a while. Just... are they still getting made? The Falcon OZ's future is not bright, thanks to Malvina. (Granted, the Wolf Empire territory isn't necessarily in much better shape but they did make more preparations for Terra campaign than the Falcons.)
Also worry they get retired quickly rather than merely used until they're gone, despite the Clans waste-not-want-not attitude some stuff does get retired occasionally.

As for new 'Mechs, the Ion Sparrow, Hierofalcon and Jade Phoenix probably form the core of Falcon OmniMechs for quite a while. They're advanced and quite well designed. Though as i note, the Falcons may not don't have much manufacturing capability at the moment, depending on the state of the OZ. Even if everything's lost, i'd expect the new Omnis to get new factories, rather than getting replaced right away.
I'm not sure their new role needs different designs anyhow. They're still a Clan. "Body guard" to another Clan is a bit of an oxymoron, as we're talking about warrior peoples. While honor guard duty will be part of the Falcon life, i expect their real use will be the most elite shock troops. Gotta keep those skills sharp after all.
You make a good point.

Grahad

• Private
I don't remember anything about Malvina despising the new Omnis, just that the Mongols tended to prefer the previous Totem 'Mechs, which naturally lead to some division, with non-Mongols gravitating toward the newer designs. I highly doubt Malvina gave shit either way. And i'm 99% sure that some notable pilot for the Hierofalcon or Ion Sparrow was a staunch Mongol.
Well, that thing's been around since 30...88? Something like that. Those are common enough i don't worry about them. Or care, i strongly prefer the classic Summoner to the Grand Summoner.
Well, it's written in the summary for the Jade Phoenix that the old guard liked best the omnimechs while the mongols liked the totem battlemech, the "dislike" part is badly worded admittedly

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Well, it's written in the summary for the Jade Phoenix...
Forgot that write up. I was far more interested in just getting stats to my SSW database.

And this reminds me, i am disappointed by the Jade Phoenix.
Early implications was that it would be dreaded. Hour of the Wolf described it as having two ER PPCs and a Gauss rifle, and it or some other bit noted its mass at 85 tons. Combined with the fact it would share features with the Ion Sparrow and Hierofalcon (meaning partial wing), i mocked up my own back then. It was really close actually, with some minor structural differences. The biggest difference was that i assumed standard Gauss Rifle, not a HAG-30, and i crammed in a Targeting Computer as well.
Think of it, a highly mobile 85-tonner (4/6/5) with three headcappers tied to a Targeting Computer!
Incidentally that configuration is still possible, but without canon appearance, it might as well not exist*.

The canon Prime is powerful to be sure, but i always find HAGs to be either disappointing somehow. They cost a lot of BV, have poor long range performance, and despite their damage potential their average falls well below that maximum. I would prefer to use just LRMs or Streak LRMs in most cases.

I will admit that by making my mock-up, i may have ended up setting myself up for disappointment.

*I'm strict about sticking to official sheets only, simply because if i start tinkering with stuff, i'll have a highly optimized and incredibly boring group of units quickly.

CJC070

• Lieutenant
Any new mechs that the Jade Falcons distance from themselves will probably be taken by the Lyrans (through Tamar), sold by the Sea Foxes (maybe becoming associated with mercs), or ultimately used by the Wolf Empire.  Unless the writers or developers hate the particular model it will be repurposed by someone else.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
4/6/5 with two ER PPCs, a Gauss, and a TC sounds like it would be genuinely crippled by its own cost, that has to be 3500 or close to it, if not more.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
4/6/5 with two ER PPCs, a Gauss, and a TC sounds like it would be genuinely crippled by its own cost, that has to be 3500 or close to it, if not more.
Good guess. 3480 as built on the current Jade Phoenix chassis.

So yeah, i grant that the cost makes it difficult to utilize. But i don't think 3277 BV for the Jade Phoenix Prime is much better in this department.

And i wasn't thinking about the cost, just what i felt would match the description.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
****** Malvina...

This.  The Legend of the Jade Phoenix was my intro to BT novels.  I fell for characters like Aidan and Marthe.  Malvina was a complete 180 from that.

I am so glad Malvina is gone.  She was turning her Clan into the Jade Albatross.  Now they have a chance to rebuild, and compete with several other weakened Clans.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
  • Stephanie & Jiyi Chistu "Restoring Honor to CJF !"
    • Clan Jade Falcon:  SWTOR
This.  The Legend of the Jade Phoenix was my intro to BT novels.  I fell for characters like Aidan and Marthe.  Malvina was a complete 180 from that.

I am so glad Malvina is gone.  She was turning her Clan into the Jade Albatross.  Now they have a chance to rebuild, and compete with several other weakened Clans.

I second that, Selyah !

Also, any update on release date of Tamar Rising ?

ISD

• Master Sergeant
    • Project Mumblings
This.  The Legend of the Jade Phoenix was my intro to BT novels.
Same :P I just haven't read the main storyline beyond the ~end of the Classic line (where Katherine Steiner-Davion left with Vlad Ward) for some reason :)
Clan Jade Falcon
Gamma Galaxy
3rd Falcon Talon Cluster

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Same :P I just haven't read the main storyline beyond the ~end of the Classic line (where Katherine Steiner-Davion left with Vlad Ward) for some reason :)
TBH, there's pretty good BT novels in the MWDA line. I seem to recall i thought Flight of the Falcon pretty good despite it introducing Malvina, it is the later developments with Malvina where she really goes of the deep end thanks to no more Aleksandr.
(Though my favorite is Ghost War, the first MWDA novel.)

It is a pity we never really got novels to continue from Endgame. Shadows of Faith was supposed to be the direct continuation of the classic line as i understand it, but it was never really finished, getting 7 chapters only via BattleCorps (and the first one was in Dawn of the Jihad sourcebook as opening fiction).

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
So after testing, here's the final draft of my "Damn the BV, just Falcon Harder" Murder Princess Star

Jade Phoenix Prime, Turkina B, Night Gyr Prime, Flamberge Prime, Thor II D

Thoughts?
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
So after testing, here's the final draft of my "Damn the BV, just Falcon Harder" Murder Princess Star

Jade Phoenix Prime, Turkina B, Night Gyr Prime, Flamberge Prime, Thor II D

Thoughts?
That looks pretty painful, although I'd swap the Night Gyr for a G configuration.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
That looks pretty painful, although I'd swap the Night Gyr for a G configuration.

According to both Sarna and MUL there is no Night Gyr G.

Hmmm...

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

MarauderCH IIC

• Warrant Officer
In two weeks, the Night Gyr might make an appearance in the next Rec Guide. Maybe there will be soon!  :thumbsup:

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
According to both Sarna and MUL there is no Night Gyr G.

There is one coming, no idea which Rec Guide it'll be in. Unless they go & change the config letter on me. If they do, I'll point out which one it is.

Hmmm...
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
The Falcony Falcon Binary is approaching Peak Falcon

Current Lineup:
Eyrie
Flamberge
Gyrfalcon
Hierofalcon
Ion Sparrow
Jade Hawk
Jade Phoenix
Onanger
Shadow Cat II
Shrike

Tack-on third star for a trinary
Goshawk 3
Jupiter
Jupiter 3
Thunderbolt IIC
Thunderbolt IIC 2

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
That's certainly nu-Falcon, but lacking Summoners, Hellbringers, Grand Summoners, Hels, and Kit Foxes.

And the Goshawk looks a little light on compared to its playmates. But Falcony, I give you that.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
I mostly just wanted to get all the totem-esque guys in the same formation to be ridiculous. The aforementioned summoner and hellbringer are in a proper clan invasion binary

The goshawk ended up there because it has no other home. Adopt a Reseen Vapor Eagle  today  :'(

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
Never a bad time for a Goshawk (unless you're fighting it)

BrianDavion

• Captain
Malvina Bored me. She wasn't intreasting, she was just  boring. she was just another, in a VEEEERY long line of crazy Battletech leaders, none of whom are intreasting because you know the ONLY purpose an insane character has in battletech is to destroy their faction and/or commit warcrimes.

I mean, thats literally all that happens with crazy faction leaders. Romanio Liao, Caleb Davion, Malvina Hazen etc... none of these characters are intreasting and you role your eyes when they first apper because you know it's just a cheap excuse to wreck a faction while having it act out of character
The Suns will shine again

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
Fate had it that the Falcons were part of a plot line that had them doomed as a matter of course.  It would have been strange for it to have Malvina win the IlClanship.

Just an observation.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
Fate had it that the Falcons were part of a plot line that had them doomed as a matter of course.  It would have been strange for it to have Malvina win the IlClanship.

Just an observation.

'strange'?  why? other than it was telegraphed at her introduction that she would be the destruction of the Falcons as a faction?  You know what would be interesting, would be if the Falcons lost because they lost, not because their leaders were inept, or insane, or mentally defective, but because their opponents were actually slightly better or luckier

Which I suspect WOULD be out of character for the setting, given that the major flag that a faction is going to burn itself to the ground is that the leaders go insane first-since Max Liao, even.

It would certainly be very different if the conflict was between two sides whose leaders weren't blitz raging nuts or mentally damaged, and one side won against opposition that was actually different and challenging, as opposed to just violent and blood-soaked rabid animals who need to be chained.

"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Grahad

• Private
Based on the Tamar Rising preview, we have Fallen Falcons now? I was sure we had no one left at home, now apparently there is a splinter falcon nation with his own Khan around? They apparently own the remnants of the OZ too...were our factories are.
If I had to guess, it would seems Clan JF is split between becoming a rogue nation of Fallen Falcons and a rib of Clan Wolf (the Blackwatch), hopefully I am reading too much into it.