Author Topic: Return of the Opinions/feedback on IWM sculpts  (Read 25863 times)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Return of the Opinions/feedback on IWM sculpts
« on: 08 August 2021, 18:40:26 »
Short form - I again spent the last couple of weeks assembling a bunch of IWM minis, most of which are quite recent - last couple of years, or so. In this case it's mainly going to Hastati Sentinels, so it was an excuse to buy these newer minis. Hit some good things & some bad things as I went, thought

a) might be interesting for the sculptors, and IWM folks, who visit here to see some feedback, and
b) opportunity for others to chip in with their experience/opinion.

Transparency - while I've been building Ral Partha, then IWM, minis for decades, I consider myself 'regular' skill, not veteran or elite. I'm using superglue gel with moisture assist, comfortable with using blu-tak to support drying joints. I will pin if I feel I have to, prefer not. YMMV.

Also, my thanks to the good people of IWM, and all the sculptors and artists, that have worked to make it possible to buy BattleTech minis despite our less-than-stellar market size. Without you all, we'd not have anything to complain about ...  O:-) Seriously, every interaction I've had with IWM has been more than I expected. They're good people.

That said ... I felt it worth sharing my thoughts.

Lament
Oh boy, this one is the turkey of the bunch. It's accurate to the artwork, which is probably why it's a pain. Bad points: The feet are separate from the totally unposable legs. And there's just a flat connection - no post or dome. The arms are virtually unposable, and the little dome bump on the arms is inadequate. Details are good and clean, but you're forced into the pose thanks to those legs.
8 parts - 2 feet, 2 legs, waist, torso, 2 arms.

Uraeus
A good-un! Capable of being posed, good connections, good details. Recommended for your Blessed Order or RotS needs! Feet are particularly well done, and I usually hate separate feet. 11 parts, unless like mine you're missing the vibroblade in the blister - 2 feet, 2 legs, waist, torso, 2-part right arm, left arm, bombast laser, and vibroblade.

Vulture Mk III
Still under assembly. Legs will have to be pinned to tiny waist, a downside. Feet went on really well, and good poseability options. Massive torso, with massive side torso missile banks - waiting to see it in place. Not entirely sure why the side torsos had to be separate, because they and the CT could have been done as a single piece. Depending on how disproportionate the torsos look on the legs, could be good. 2 feet, 2 legs, waist, 3 torso pieces, chin gun, 2 arms.

Phoenix Hawk IIC 8
Liking this one, even if it's a bit big. Good contact points; the backpacks had me confused at first, but they went on easily. Leg & torso, leg (for running or walking pose), torso, 2 arms, 4 jetpacks

Ryoken II
Weird mini, but goes together well. May be a little small, but nice details. Strangest legs since the Blood Kite! I modded for the UAC-10 version, so didn't have to worry about fiddly autocannon barrels. 2 legs, waist, torso, 2 arms, 2 LRM launchers, 4 squitty gunbarrels.

Triskelon
Not a lot of posability options, but didn't matter. The 3 legs go on well, done one at a time; they and the arms have great contact points. 3 legs, one body, 2 arms, and you're in tripedal motion! Could have used a little more detail, but still happy with it.

Jade Hawk
I love this! Very easy to assemble, despite looking potentially fussy. One piece feet/legs/torso, body, backpack, 2 arms, 2 wings. Went together like a dream. Great details, too, and looking forward to painting it! The only quibble is that the arms aren't greatly poseable, due to the backpack & wings; it would be a lot of work to replicate the arms-wide stance of the TRO art.
« Last Edit: 10 August 2021, 00:13:18 by worktroll »
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

MarauderCH IIC

• Warrant Officer
Re: Return of the Opinions/feedback on IWM sculpts
« Reply #1 on: 09 August 2021, 20:38:07 »
I bought two Hierofalcons when they came out and those were fabulous to put together. I am not a fan of multi piece metal minis because sometimes they are just terrible to put together. My Lament might not be finished. The Jade Hawk was good to put together. The Hierofalcon went together good. All the joints fit together good and stayed together as it was assembled!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #2 on: 10 August 2021, 00:19:12 »
Well, I completed the Vulture III, and I'm a fan. Now I had to pin the legs - drilled right through the tiny waist and slid a single wire down the middle. But the body looks great on top, and it's surprising how much dynamism I got in the pose, even with those stubby little arms. Very nice end product!

Thor II (aka Grand Summoner
I love this mini! Okay, it's separate feet & legs, but the ankle cylinder joints are well sized and allow for dynamic posing. The waist connects to the legs with a flat post arrangement, so there's no problem with wonky hip alignment. There are a ton of spare parts in the pack, but the A model is easy to make. Good mini, folks! 2 feet, 2 legs, waist, torso, 2 upper arms, 2 weapon lower arms, missile launcher, and bits!

Loki II (aka Hel)
Another great mini! Not sure why they have different waist pieces, but feet & legs the same as Thor II. Again, upper & lower arms & missile pack separate from torso. Went together very easily, and I have a nice running pose out of it.
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
  • Artist, Writer, 3D Modeler Extraordinaire
« Reply #3 on: 15 August 2021, 19:56:39 »
Loki II (aka Hel)
Another great mini! Not sure why they have different waist pieces, but feet & legs the same as Thor II. Again, upper & lower arms & missile pack separate from torso. Went together very easily, and I have a nice running pose out of it.

So the Waist difference actually comes from MWDA, the waists were different there as well!  There are also subtle differences in the legs (pistons on the knees) and feet (very slight).

And thank you!

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
« Reply #4 on: 17 August 2021, 13:14:38 »
Stinger, you did a good job with the Loki II. It is a great sculpt and I hope to show soon TM what it can be done with it and a bit of imagination.
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #5 on: 17 August 2021, 22:42:17 »
I'm hoping that the Vulture Mk III has separate side torsos is for the possibility of some of the variants (specifically the D) getting released in the future.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
« Reply #6 on: 18 August 2021, 11:15:18 »
They are separated pieces
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 18 August 2021, 13:01:46 »
The Phoenix Hawk IIC, you mean 7 rather than 8?
Cause I’ve been looking at the 7
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
  • Artist, Writer, 3D Modeler Extraordinaire
« Reply #8 on: 19 August 2021, 11:44:41 »
I'm hoping that the Vulture Mk III has separate side torsos is for the possibility of some of the variants (specifically the D) getting released in the future.

One of the things that we try to do with IWM sculpts is make them more mod-able.  The Torsos were made separate for the exact reason of variants, whether they be modded or official.

You'll notice on many of the recent sculpts you could have easily made the weapons just part of the arm, but we keep them separate for modding purposes.

CranstonSnord

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 19 August 2021, 12:14:51 »
I appreciate it  :thumbsup:

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #10 on: 19 August 2021, 14:05:21 »
Weapons on arms - right with you there!  :thumbsup:

Multi-part legs? Not a fan. Although I do appreciate how you made the feet/legs/torso connections on the Hel, and the Grand Summoner. Really good.

It's things like the Lament - that really give you no options, have no dome or post on the feet to leg points, and excessively small connections from leg to torso? Or the infamous Reseen Thud "bag of random sprue offcuts"? Not so good.

Some more comments.

Shrike
Now this is a good looking mini. One piece base/feet/legs/waist, then torso, 2 wings, 3 arms - two left arms for the AC or PPC versions, always love spare parts! Goes together well; the wing contacts look smallish, but no problems gluing them in place.

Onager
Big one, here! A solid mini, almost. One piece base/right leg/waist, torso, backpack, wings, two arms, and a finger! The finger isn't a problem, and gives a good claw-hand. Apart from the waist connection to the left leg, easy to assemble. Only problem is the left leg isn't in the best pose for anything except extreme running/jump landing. This is my second Onager, the first one I die spend time to repose the leg to a more ground-based movement mode. Just that poor waist connection - required pinning, stopping it from being really good.

Flamberge
Nice mini when assembled. 2 legs, waist, body, backack, wing, 2 additional fins, arms. Assembled without need for pinning. My only quibble here is that this mini may have suffered from "the squeeze" during mastering - the legs seem a little short, and the missile packs seem flat for the size. But it looks good and didn't give problems.

Yes, you may notice a thematic trend here ;)

Side comment - looking at the Vulture III, yes, it could be allowing for future variant parts. But they'd have to be long - the separate side torso pieces run the full length of the mini, which is much longer than the old Mad Dog. Arm attachment points are on the shelves off the centre torso, so that'll work well.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #11 on: 19 August 2021, 18:36:09 »
One of the things that we try to do with IWM sculpts is make them more mod-able.  The Torsos were made separate for the exact reason of variants, whether they be modded or official.

You'll notice on many of the recent sculpts you could have easily made the weapons just part of the arm, but we keep them separate for modding purposes.
:thumbsup:

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #12 on: 22 August 2021, 01:11:18 »
Pendragon 3R
These are the legs I've been waiting for! Now I no longer need to use MW:DA Raider torsos for Templars! IWM, drop the boring, static, undersized Templar legs & use these!

They're two part - foot & lower leg, and upper leg. Really solid cylinder connection, with sideguards. Heck, I'd even have allowed separate feet, also with cylinder connections like the Hel/Grand Summoner. Works so well.

And as a Pendragon works well. Good mini!

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #13 on: 22 August 2021, 10:03:36 »
Pendragon 3R
I'm coming up empty on searches, have a link to one?

Never mind, must have been a glitch.

https://ironwindmetals.com/index.php/product-listing/product/battletech-bt-354/category_pathway-2
« Last Edit: 22 August 2021, 10:08:48 by Cache »

abou

• Captain

Daritus1988

• Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 28 August 2021, 04:05:42 »
20-5183 Locust
20-5182 Catapukt

Love both of them and like the concept of putting multiple Variants into the Blister.

I hope we can expect more of this nice Classic Mechs in the following Years. My Favorites would be:

Warhammer WHM-6R
Marauder MAD-3R

It would be also nice when the Blister Paperback could get an Rework with the new BT-Logo.
« Last Edit: 28 August 2021, 04:07:29 by Daritus1988 »

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #16 on: 07 September 2021, 11:15:07 »
Only two mechs need a partial or full resculpt in my opinion. The Vanquisher is just too damn wide! And the Devastator needs new legs. It needs a non-running pose. I'd even fan fund better legs for it at this point!
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #17 on: 16 September 2021, 13:25:35 »
I am not a fan of multi piece metal minis because sometimes they are just terrible to put together.

I hold the same position when it comes to the TRO Phoenix and 3067 minis- the Celestials might have been that method's last hurrah really.  But the ones in the last 5 years, mostly around TRO3145 and later have been fine as multi-part.  After experiencing a MAD IIC 3, Scylla, Solitaire (why I am sad it got cut from KS), and Phoenix Marauder . . . I am not buying any of the older minis that have more than 5 parts- unless we are talking about something like the Starslayer where you glue weapon barrels.

But 3145 & the Primitive TROs were designed using CAD IIRC, and it shows since the designs have the pieces fitting together so much better- and cleaner.  I forget how many pieces the Juliano had, but it was easy to put together before I had my gripper set up even.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #18 on: 04 October 2021, 20:37:17 »
the goliath C is a B I G B O Y. heaviest chunk of metal in a while. on the bright side it looks like it will fix on a single hex

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 05 October 2021, 02:07:26 »
Just got the Sojourner, Goliath C and Archer 9W along with the Typhoon. 

I bought 3 of the Archers because I already had some new kitbashes planned, but now I am considering getting a few more, I am so impressed by it.  Haven't had time yet to assemble the others as I started making my 1 vanilla 9W, then set on kitbashing the 2S.    I really want to make a 5S and the 9CS using it as the base.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #20 on: 05 October 2021, 03:23:36 »
How did you find the Soujourner? It has the looks of most of the older Omnis I'm not fond of ...

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #21 on: 05 October 2021, 06:46:28 »
Good sculpt. It’s 8 pieces - torso, x2 arms, waist, x2 legs, x2 feet. The ankle joints are rounded so you can position the feet how you like and give it a variety of moving poses. Glued together quickly

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 07 October 2021, 21:23:12 »
Just got the Sojourner, Goliath C and Archer 9W along with the Typhoon. 

I bought 3 of the Archers because I already had some new kitbashes planned, but now I am considering getting a few more, I am so impressed by it.  Haven't had time yet to assemble the others as I started making my 1 vanilla 9W, then set on kitbashing the 2S.    I really want to make a 5S and the 9CS using it as the base.

Cool, how does the Typhoon scale with the older ASF sculpts like the Chippewa and Riever?  Is it small like them or larger like newer sculpts such as the Eagle, Vulcan, Thunderbird?

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #23 on: 08 October 2021, 02:58:07 »
I'll probably assemble it and have comparison pictures this weekend.  Been working on another project to semi-magnetize a 1/12 Mospeada kit that transforms. 

Cool, how does the Typhoon scale with the older ASF sculpts like the Chippewa and Riever?  Is it small like them or larger like newer sculpts such as the Eagle, Vulcan, Thunderbird?

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #24 on: 09 October 2021, 03:08:07 »
So....it is small.  Does not feel like a 90 ton craft at all.  Opted to make the 3A version, but it feels very fragile and the weapons are extremely tiny and prone to getting lost if you are not careful.

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 15 October 2021, 11:26:29 »
So....it is small.  Does not feel like a 90 ton craft at all.  Opted to make the 3A version, but it feels very fragile and the weapons are extremely tiny and prone to getting lost if you are not careful.

Thank you!!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #26 on: 17 October 2021, 00:00:01 »
Apropos of nothing, I've just discovered there are two Canis sculpts. One has the airfoil on top as a separate piece; the newer one I got from IWM earlier in the year has a solid loaf on top. I shall have to paint the underpart darker.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #27 on: 17 October 2021, 00:28:49 »
One more thing on the Typhoon.  The twin tail is shaped like a [, and very prone to being deformed when removed from the sprue.  It is also difficult to attach to the body because of the tiny size and possible bending of the center vane.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #28 on: 17 October 2021, 00:57:38 »
Apropos of nothing, I've just discovered there are two Canis sculpts. One has the airfoil on top as a separate piece; the newer one I got from IWM earlier in the year has a solid loaf on top. I shall have to paint the underpart darker.

The Canis has an airfoil?

Blackhorse 6

• Night Stalker Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant
  • Uh huh...
« Reply #29 on: 17 October 2021, 02:49:21 »
The Canis has an airfoil?

I’m thinking he meant Savage Coyote… at least I presume that… well… he is getting older…  8)

Register