Author Topic: IWM Minis questions  (Read 2897 times)

WarGod

• Lieutenant
IWM Minis questions
« on: 19 July 2011, 12:56:48 »
Ok I've been outta the loop for awhile.  Spent 8 months in africom, and now I'm back in iraq, in between concentrating on college in my off duty time.  Anyways some of the minis look great, some not so much, but when did medium mechs cost 10 bucks a head?  I'm not trying to cause a fuss, or a string of I hate IWM post but really whats up?  Cost of pewter gone up? Why not switch to a cheaper medium like resin, or plastics come along way sense the 3rd edition boxset.  Like the plastic thor, and loki showed us a couple years ago.
A knight in shining armor is a man who has never had his metal truly tested
You're falling through the air in a Grenadier. Style went out the window long before you did.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
Re: IWM Minis questions
« Reply #1 on: 19 July 2011, 13:08:25 »
Unfortunately metal prices have gone up- sucks, but that's just how it is, sadly.

Thing is, Iron Wind Metals... well, that last word says it all. They don't do resins or plastics (the resin dropships were a third-party that handled that end of things, and it didn't go well apparently). This is their business- pewter.

As for the plastics, I have hope that we'll see more like them, but the fact that it's been as long as it has been since the Thor and Loki with no news since isn't a great sign, unfortunately.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

ItsTehPope

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 19 July 2011, 13:11:34 »
Ok I've been outta the loop for awhile.  Spent 8 months in africom, and now I'm back in iraq, in between concentrating on college in my off duty time.  Anyways some of the minis look great, some not so much, but when did medium mechs cost 10 bucks a head?  I'm not trying to cause a fuss, or a string of I hate IWM post but really whats up?  Cost of pewter gone up? Why not switch to a cheaper medium like resin, or plastics come along way sense the 3rd edition boxset.  Like the plastic thor, and loki showed us a couple years ago.

Cost of materials is pretty much all of the cost increase.  Resin and plastic casting has been gone over to death before and its not financially viable.  The cost to convert to plastic casting will be in the six digit range and with the rising price of oil, any cost savings rapidly goes away.  As for resin, look at how badly GW is doing right now with that conversion.
If you actually care to listen to my thoughts outside of Battletech, find me at www.uselessblot.com

(4:37:55 PM) moonsword134: You're a bastard.
(4:38:11 PM) moonsword134: And so's the talking whiskey monkey who lives in bottles of tequila to give you ideas.

(4:52:52 PM) ShinjoJinturi: simply by having tag on the field, even in a game that appears to not have any lrms or arrows on the board, you can inspire fear

Amalor Myrnnyx

• Lieutenant
  • www.myrnnyx.com
    • Myrnnyx Minis
« Reply #3 on: 19 July 2011, 13:53:21 »
It's not just IWM, but the industry as a whole. Reaper, for instance, used to have all of their simpler, one-piece minis at $3. Within the past year, the lowest priced mini has gone to $5.

-James Degenhardt

btp2k2

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 19 July 2011, 15:16:14 »
Nor is it restricted to miniatures. I am an avid scale model builder and model rocket flyer, a kit that cost me 5 to 8 dollars now cost over 20 dollars. The old Alpha III model rocket that I bought for 5 bucks in the late 80s is almost 20 bucks now.

Prices are a rising....not much you can do about it.

Dr Lucky

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 19 July 2011, 16:23:45 »
Like the plastic thor, and loki showed us a couple years ago.

It is worth noting that as far as I know, IWM had nothing to do with the plastic Loki and Thor.  I believe those were made by the same company that will be making the plastic ships for Catalyst's Leviathans game.  I would much rather see IWM stick to metals - metal miniatures are comparatively cheap to sculpt, which means we get a huge variety.  A switch to plastics would mean new sculpts would be few and far between, and only for the most popular 'Mechs.

As far as resin goes, I would rather keep paying for metal.  The quality on resin is generally lower, the material is harder and less forgiving for modifying figures (or at least I find it to be so), and the weight of metal is satisfying on the tabletop.  I'll pay a little extra for that.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #6 on: 19 July 2011, 18:42:36 »
Resin's got some other issues. It's thicker, so even with spin moulding you get air bubbles which can range from "tiny pinprick" to "UAC-20 double-tap" on a 'Mech-sized mini. These can be very offputting to the casual modeller (although hardened garage-kit buyers have been dealing with and moaning about voids for decades ;) ). Resin can (not must) be brittle, making modding more problematical - it's a softer substance than metal, but unforgiving. Lastly resin dust is really bad for your lungs, so if you're filing or sawing a face-mask is highly recommended, as is a vacuuming of the work area afterwards.

GW have recently moved from using metal in their spin-cast moulds to using a form of resin called "Finecast". There's been much flamage about the move - which doesn't need to be repeated here - including some pretty incredible claims of resin minis softening in hot sunlight. The appearance of bubbles on the minis however has been the biggest negative issue, AFAIK, with one US distributor sending their entire stock of GW resins back after an inspection on receipt showed noticeable flaws on 30%+ of the stock.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #7 on: 24 July 2011, 00:31:07 »
I have heard of some other companies that are using a different type of resin then GW's switching to
resin using their existing metals molds...but cannot remember which one..some fantasy game with real-scale
Orks and dwarves(with legs!)...not the Heroic Scale that GW likes to use. I have heard that there are not that
many bubbles or voids in their stuff, either. However, beyond that, I know little about them(cannot even remember the company/game line!)
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

keisukekun

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • A Love Suicide
« Reply #8 on: 24 July 2011, 01:13:52 »
Yeh sucks its expensive noe.   They could go resin but could have quality issues and I personnally dont like resin.  Also wed have to call them Iron Wind Resins.

As for plastics they cant use teh same molds for plastics that they use for metals and high quality plastics like teh loki have enormous start up costs (Thousnads/tens of thousands)

Register