Author Topic: Setting to disable bombs in AtB?  (Read 251 times)

BlueThing

• Sergeant
Setting to disable bombs in AtB?
« on: 01 May 2024, 08:19:44 »
I've gotten tired of OpFors with bombs.

I just edited a mech back into existence (and removed way too many wounds from a mechwarrior) after four fighters deployed with around 60 bombs of various types because dropping 17 HE bombs onto a light mech isn't fun, it's a deus ex machina ending.

Is there a setting I'm missing that can make AtB not generate bombs for air assets?  Or do I have to remember to edit every single fighter in MegaMek to remove them before battles?

I tend to not use bombs much anyway (I find them a bit too powerful, so only use them in massive battles), so disabling them entirely would also be OK with me.

dgorsman

• Captain
Re: Setting to disable bombs in AtB?
« Reply #1 on: 01 May 2024, 10:57:32 »
There isn't a game setting for that, in MekHQ or MegaMek.  The closest I can think of would be to back out the EnemyAirSupportBombers scenario modifier from the groundBattleModifiers manifest file which will prevent dedicated bomber formations showing up.  You might also look into modifying the scenario template and modifier XML files, which have an allowAeroBombs element that can be set to 'false'.  Otherwise you need to walk through them manually, which I also do if just to tone it down or select something more appropriate e.g. a full bomb load on a heavy fighter typically leaves them with an impractical thrust value, or F-rated pirates get air-launched Arrow IVs replaced with rocket launchers.

Best bet for dealing with pesky bombers is to deploy your own fighters on overwatch.  If you're not willing to spend the support point to deploy reinforcements, you can always add them as 'free' via manual deployment from the TO&E.  Tactics can also assist keeping your units alive - keep them to the corners where fighters have a hard time making the turn while staying on the map to make an attack.  Identify locations where fighters cannot get to and move into those dead zones, preferably close to the starting point of the flight path where you can take potshots at them (if they stay on the map).
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Nehvar

• Recruit
Re: Setting to disable bombs in AtB?
« Reply #2 on: 02 May 2024, 13:38:47 »
There is no quick and simple way to do it as far as I know.  The slow and tedious way would be to manually remove the bot's bombs in the MM lobby before each deployment.

You can suggest new features on the MegaMek github.  An option to disable bomb selection for the bot sounds like a good feature to request.