Author Topic: The Kapteyn Universe - The Other Option (Books 1, 2 & 3)  (Read 77035 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: The Kapteyn Universe - The Other Option (Books 1, 2 & 3)
« Reply #510 on: 25 June 2020, 03:28:50 »
Nice!  :thumbsup:

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
  • I am Thomas Hogarth's Love Child
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #511 on: 05 July 2020, 16:17:20 »
Sorry for the delay, been crazy busy here.

The second preview from FM: Periphery is here, the Oberon Guards.

Oberon Guards

Overview
The Oberon Guards are the main BattleMech units of the OCAF. The well tested and venerable Wolverine, Warhammer, and Awesome BattleMechs in most formations are complemented by the use of the newer Wolfhound and Weasel light BattleMechs in skirmish and scouting companies, and the behemoth Matar Assault BattleMech now appearing in Assault companies throughout the Guards.

The Oberon Air Guards are the primary Aerospace Fighter formations within the Confederation. Utilizing the solid Sabre, Stingray, and Eagle Aerospace Fighters in balance, these pilots have been fully cross trained in supporting WarShip operations and ground support, as well as being experienced dogfighters in both space and atmosphere. Few Aerospace pilots in the Inner Sphere can keep up with the Air Guards when a dog fight goes into an asteroid field.

The Oberon Cavaliers round out the main task force elements, by providing Infantry and Conventional Armor support to the Guards. Ground forces consist of Von Luckners, Scorpions, Goblins, Demolishers, Partisans, and a host of APC vehicles for every condition. Also attached to this unit are Special Forces which provide mission specific support and reconnaissance.
The Guards recently incorporated enough troops from the crushed Rasalhague Kungsarme to form seven new regiments. Though nominally part of the Guards, they operate semi-independently and are seeking the liberation of their lost worlds.

Condition
The First Guards has been the long-standing premiere unit of the Oberon Confederation and led by the Grimm family. General Victor Hammond commands these combined arms regiments now that King Hendrik Grimm IV is no longer on active duty. The 1st has served with distinction in the Periphery Unification, Pirate Purification, Chainlaine Unchaining, Kirchbach Rescue, Tamar Relief, Reach of Retribution, and most recently in the Rasalhague Repatriation Campaigns. Proud to be the King’s Own unit, the 1st is filled with the most loyal and dedicated members of the OCAF. Although some other units have more experience, none can argue the vigor with which the 1st take to the field. As one of the original units of the OCAF, there is a wide variety of equipment in service in the 1st, though it is all well taken care of by the technician and services departments.

Always striving to claim more glory than the 1st, the men and women of the 2nd Guards always seem to find a way to outshine them. Led capably by the Prince Johann Grimm, the 2nd has been at the heart of every major conflict within the Coreward near Periphery and Inner Sphere. Similar to the equipment levels of the rest of the original 6 Guard Regiments, the 2nd has a wide variety of equipment, many customized to individual pilots and owners, and well taken care of due to their recent operations close to the industrial heartlands and the excellent supply and repair program of the OCAF.

As the 3rd has been involved in nearly every major action in recent times, this unit continues to be among the most experienced and battle tested. Often holding the landing zones for other regiments, the 3rd is a most stubborn defender and reluctant to give up ground. Recently stationed within the Kirchbach province, the 3rd employs new BattleMechs for testing on the front lines.

One of the most ambitious and prolific hunter/seeker units within the OCAF, the 4th helped hunt down nearly every pirate band that has threatened the Confederation, as well as the invading units from the Hanseatic League. Known for their ferocity and their ability to anticipate where their prey would run too, the 4th has been exceedingly successful striking units in transit. As the 4th has seen more combat action than many of the other Guards regiments, their BattleMechs, vehicles, and fighters are often replaced by newer units as the older ones succumb to wear and tear. Noted for their mobility and flexibility, much of the 4th is light and medium in weight with a few company level assault or heavy fire support formations.

Often placed to hold the flanks of major offensives, the 5th Guards has made their reputation via their uncanny ability to turn the flank of the enemy and never being overrun. Having fought through several hard campaigns, the 5th has had a fairly high turnover of their original units, and as such, they field a larger number of units that were salvaged from former combatants. More troublesome to maintain, these various units are in the process of being rotated out to training operations in favor of newer and freshly manufactured units.

The final initial regiment from the first founding of the Periphery Unification, the 6th has been actively involved in the all phases of conflict during the past decade, including performing admirably in the Operation RETRIBUTION against the Hanseatic League. As the 6th has not seen as much combat as some of the other original units, it still maintains a large proportion of Riflemen, Locust, and Wolverine BattleMechs. Scheduled for phasing out over the next decade, many of these BattleMechs will be re-tasked as training units.

Newly formed during the Fourth Succession war, the 7th has yet to make a proper name for itself, only serving with distinction in the Rasalhague Repatriation Campaign. Many of the Mechs used by the 7th are handed down units from the more senior regiments.

The 8th was engaged in the Pirate Purification, Reach of Retribution, and most recently in the Rasalhague Repatriation Campaigns. Fielding primarily equipment salvaged or recovered from the Hanseatic League, the 8th contains a highly flexible and diverse TO&E.

Working on their reputation as being the first to hit combat and the last to leave, the 9th has proven itself defending Rasalhague from the Draconis Combine’s treachery.

A new unit formed during the past decade, the 10th Guards takes the concept of mobility in arms to the extreme. Highly mobile units are found within this task force, and all BattleMechs are jump capable, many of the tanks are hover capable, and the fighters are among the fastest available.

Known for being able to achieve results in the most difficult situations, the quick thinking and adaptive 12th Guards can be counted on in the most adverse situations. The ability of the 12th to remain in the field far longer than would be possible otherwise is an indication of how well maintained their units are. Their Technician and support budget has often been called into question as the 12th spends per capita more on supplies and repairs than any other unit.

1st Oberon Guards - Exceptional/Fanatical / Kirchbach
2nd Oberon Guards - Veteran/Fanatical / Kufstein
3rd Oberon Guards - Veteran/Fanatical / Ferleiten
4th Oberon Guards - Veteran/Reliable / Damian
5th Oberon Guards - Elite/Reliable / Santander V
6th Oberon Guards - Regular/Questionable / Bruben
7th Oberon Guards - Green/Fanatical / New Oslo
8th Oberon Guards - Regular/Reliable / Porthos
9th Oberon Guards - Green/Reliable / Star's End
10th Oberon Guards - Green/Questionable / Alleghe
12th Oberon Guards - Green/Reliable / Engadin
Dedicated to committing viciously gratuitous bastardy of the first order.

Unofficial LD for 2 seconds - It was a glorious moment!

"They can bring it. We fought off an army of guys who wore 20 pound decorative brass shoulder pauldrons. I'm not afraid of the Disney Land mascot brigade" - MadCapellan, in reference to the Confederation possibly facing the Clans.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #512 on: 05 July 2020, 16:22:12 »
Holy cats!  TWELVE regiments!?  :o

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #513 on: 05 July 2020, 16:24:29 »
Next week's preview comes from Field Manual: DCMS. Here are the formations you can vote for.
  • Amphigean Light Assault Groups
  • Algedi (Dieron) Regulars
  • Alshain (Rasalhague) Regulars
  • An Ting Legions
  • Arkab Legions
  • Benjamin Regulars
  • Dragon’s Guards
  • Dragon Regiments
  • Galedon Regulars
  • Ghost Regiments
  • Legions of Vega
  • Night Stalkers
  • Pesht Regulars
  • Proserpina Hussars
  • Ryuken
  • Sword of Light
  • Sun Zhang Cadres

"They can bring it. We fought off an army of guys who wore 20 pound decorative brass shoulder pauldrons. I'm not afraid of the Disney Land mascot brigade" - MadCapellan, in reference to the Confederation possibly facing the Clans.

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #514 on: 05 July 2020, 16:25:20 »
Holy cats!  TWELVE regiments!?  :o

Yep, they also have several independent units and the remains of the Rasalhague Kungsarme. Oberon has gotten big.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #515 on: 05 July 2020, 16:30:38 »
Oh, and CONGRATS on the Yellow Battlemaster!  :thumbsup:

If we can only vote for one, it's the Amphigean LAG for me!  If it's two again, please throw in the Arkab Legions...  :)

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #516 on: 05 July 2020, 16:56:07 »
Thanks.

It's one vote again this time. ALAG's it is then.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #517 on: 05 July 2020, 17:03:09 »
Dragon's Guards please
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Artifex

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #518 on: 05 July 2020, 17:03:26 »
Nice listings all around here! :thumbsup:

I'd love to have a peek at the Night Stalkers :-)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #519 on: 05 July 2020, 17:12:05 »
Wow. Pirate nation turn professional.

I vote Amphigean Light Assault Groups.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #520 on: 05 July 2020, 17:17:57 »
Arkab Legions
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #521 on: 05 July 2020, 17:59:52 »
Dragon's Guards

cobaltcoil

• Sergeant
  • Cry Havoc and Let Loose the Wolves/Coyotes of War
« Reply #522 on: 05 July 2020, 18:46:31 »
Dragon's Guards

Motsognir

• Sergeant
  • And so there I was...
« Reply #523 on: 05 July 2020, 19:08:39 »
Amphigean Light Assault Groups, thanks.

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #524 on: 05 July 2020, 19:36:56 »
Dragon's Guards.
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
« Reply #525 on: 05 July 2020, 20:16:25 »
Arkab
Maker of big things.

shadowdancer

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #526 on: 05 July 2020, 22:11:22 »
Dragon Guards
Wishing the Worse on your Enemies
Contact the 13th Armored Calvary
Deliverers of "BAD LUCK"
Anytime
Anyplace
If the Price is Right

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #527 on: 07 July 2020, 23:05:04 »
Ghost Regiments
Clover Spear author and cat wrangler!
FedCom Fan!

Kheilwar

• Recruit
« Reply #528 on: 10 July 2020, 05:49:53 »
Amphigean Light Assault please. Maybe included Longs Light Lanciers (not lancers), a all Jump capable Light Company with 2 Meds and 1 heavy?
But only maybe....  ;)
(the First and Real Prophet of the Lurmgods)

Fire Support lance, Echo Company (5./ Stinson's Sabers), 1th Marik Militia "The avenging Angels"

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #529 on: 10 July 2020, 16:56:52 »
ALAG it is for you. I don't go into detail below the regimental level, as that is a rabbit hole of such depth, I would never escape :)

wolfcannon

• Lieutenant
    • wolfcannon's photobucket album
« Reply #530 on: 10 July 2020, 21:48:13 »
Not as yet. Good idea though. Once stuff starts coming out, I'll put a list with links in the first post.

It would be
  • The Other Option Books 1-3
  • 4th War Introduction
  • Inner Sphere Supplemental
  • Inner Sphere Field Manuals in any order
  • Clans Volume I
  • Clans Volume II
  • Clan Field Manuals in any Order
  • Inner Sphere Supplemental II
  • Kerensky's Lost Hope Books 1-3

Blacknova where are some of these books?  i have several but not all.
Daniels Avenger                Clan Coyote
General Jennifer Daniels    Galaxy Commander Jim Skyes
                                        Omicron Galaxy
Clan Wolf in Exile
328th Assault Cluster(the Lion Hearted)
Star Captain James Sword

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #531 on: 10 July 2020, 22:45:56 »
No.1 and 5, along with FM:AFFS are on OurBattleTech.

wolfcannon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #532 on: 10 July 2020, 22:48:29 »
yup have those.
                                        Omicron Galaxy
Clan Wolf in Exile
Star Captain James Sword

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #533 on: 10 July 2020, 23:27:51 »
The rest are in development and writing at the moment.

wolfcannon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #534 on: 10 July 2020, 23:39:53 »
cool
                                        Omicron Galaxy
Clan Wolf in Exile
Star Captain James Sword

rufusexc

• Private
« Reply #535 on: 13 July 2020, 01:28:57 »
No.1 and 5, along with FM:AFFS are on OurBattleTech.

Where? There is no link on the download page, and the error message appears on the page https://www.ourbattletech.com/kapteyn/: Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function set_magic_quotes_runtime() in /home3/jk514284/public_html/kapteyn/includes/framework.php:21 Stack trace: #0 /home3/jk514284/public_html/kapteyn/index.php(22): require_once() #1 {main} thrown in /home3/jk514284/public_html/kapteyn/includes/framework.php on line 21

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #536 on: 13 July 2020, 01:39:10 »
Links are all working fine for me -
https://www.ourbattletech.com/downloads/

However I do not see anything for Book 3?  Just Book 1 and 2.

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #537 on: 13 July 2020, 01:41:07 »
The books are all available in the story threads. I have not created a PDF for Book 3 or updated the Book 1 and 2 PDF's. Should put it on my to do list.

The source books are on the link Iron Grenadier posted.

rufusexc

• Private
« Reply #538 on: 13 July 2020, 04:25:48 »
Links are all working fine for me -
https://www.ourbattletech.com/downloads/

However I do not see anything for Book 3?  Just Book 1 and 2.

The books are all available in the story threads. I have not created a PDF for Book 3 or updated the Book 1 and 2 PDF's. Should put it on my to do list.

The source books are on the link Iron Grenadier posted.

All the links in the download page I have already downloaded them from a long time, the FM:AFFS file as well, even in the old version and, more than once.
The link to the https://www.ourbattletech.com/kapteyn/ page does not work.

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #539 on: 13 July 2020, 04:28:16 »
Thanks for the heads up

Register