Author Topic: Smaller missile packs en mass or larger ones?  (Read 31531 times)

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
Re: Smaller missile packs en mass or larger ones?
« Reply #90 on: 04 February 2011, 10:50:42 »
And at a worse crit cost on the 'Mechs.

Onisuzume

• Lieutenant
« Reply #91 on: 04 February 2011, 12:23:55 »
And at a worse crit cost on the 'Mechs.
And at worse vulnerability as well...
Taking an equal number of crits of a smaller launcher and a larger launcher, the larger only needs one to be disabled, whilst the smaller launchers require multiple.
Even so, I'd still prefer larger launchers (although massed MRM-10 can be quite effective... then again, are MRMs ever small launchers?).

Glory to the Combine Snow Lily Empire!

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #92 on: 04 February 2011, 12:38:46 »
The MRM 10 and 40 are equal in tonnage anyway, so your only real gains are against the 20 and 30... which is a single ton in either case.

IndyRI

• Lieutenant
  • Is it really still snowing?
« Reply #93 on: 04 February 2011, 12:41:41 »
The MRM 10 and 40 are equal in tonnage anyway, so your only real gains are against the 20 and 30... which is a single ton in either case.

Well you do suffer the vulnerability and lack of versatility and TH chances with the larger launcher.
HEIRS OF AMARIS - An AU Setting for Classic Battletech

Come and see. Comments welcome.
http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=757.msg15033

Battlemech Designs Galore
http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=840.0

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #94 on: 04 February 2011, 17:02:20 »
Agreed. Covering your defensive arcs is perfectly valid. The real issue most of us has with multiple smaller launchers is those situations where a larger launcher would suffice but the designed simply wants to "game" the system more efficiency. You can't cover all of those arcs with a single laucnher though, so by my judgement at least, they all count as seperate launchers, rather than a big launcher broken down into smaller ones for munch purpsoes.
One aspect no one's mentioned yet is linked scenarios. My group played four scenarios one right after the other and used salvage rules. Several LRM-20s/MRM-30s were destroyed and couldn't be replaced. So we had no choice but to swap in smaller launchers.

In that situation I don't think it's munchtastic: Just a bit more realistic.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Sockmonkey

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #95 on: 04 February 2011, 19:09:50 »
I never really considered using the weight advantage of multiple smalls to be munchy unless half-ton lots of ammo were allowed.
That's it! Challenge the Clans to rock-paper-scissors in 3050! A good portion of the 'Mechs didn't have hands so the Inner Sphere would win!
If I had a nickel for every time I've legged a Warhammer, I could put them in a sock, spin it around and leg another Warhammer.

Register