Author Topic: Jedi: Fallen Order Discussion Thread  (Read 1865 times)

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
Jedi: Fallen Order Discussion Thread
« on: 16 November 2019, 07:45:56 »
**Mod Notice**

We’ve received a request for a dedicated thread to discuss the new Star Wars game, Jedi: Fallen Order.  Since you guys have done a really great job of respecting both the general moratorium on creating new Star Wars threads and the rules that we put forth in the Mandalorian thread, we’re a happy to help facilitate discussion. 

That being said, I want to make it clear that the rules from the Mandalorian thread still apply here. This is a thread for discussing Fallen Order, if you guys pull in references to other Star Wars media, it needs to be related to the game.  Discussion of Rise of Skywalker, regardless of whether you somehow tie it to the game, is off-topic and will be treated as such. Most importantly, though, treat each other with respect.

Happy gaming, guys!

ActionButler

Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

guardiandashi

• Major
Re: Jedi: Fallen Order Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: 16 November 2019, 08:32:58 »
Thanks

so my thoughts so far.

1 lots of exploration, unlike most previous star wars games it doesn't really guide you as to where to go, I mean it does.... but there are a lot of places I have found (especially before you pick up the companion) where I am going where the heck am I supposed to go.

Platform jumper from hell.  Maybe its just me but platform jumpers are not my preferred game play style.
to use the example of the scrap yards, blah blah go do something with these clamps, your "buddy" knocks over the ladder, and of course you can't just put it back up, so time for a long roundabout path, sliding down a ramp, jumping over bottomless chasms, wall climbs, rope climbs walking along a beam not much wider than your feet over bottomless chasms (at least 1000 ft down easy) dangling from before mentioned clamps, and then holding on with 1 hand while pulling a lever(switch) with the other hand.....
more slides, climbing all over a train as its coming apart, and fighting troopers of various kinds.
and on and on.

with that said there are also path-finding puzzles, and on the ancient race home world there are a couple of puzzles involving doors and these enormous spheres.

a bunch more troopers, and animals and stupid slides, not a spoiler per say but a hint there is a slide where you slide around a corner, have to jump and catch a hanging cable/vine, swing and jump to another slide and then jump over another bottomless chasm onto a platform ..... (lets just say it took me at least 10 tries before I got it right)
lets just say the game itself makes me limit my play time due to raw frustration.

all in all its actually a pretty good game/experience, I just wish there was less of the whole "platforming" aspect especially when I start getting frustrated.  one part that was memorable is a triple wall run to a jump wall climb to a hang from a beam and work your way around and jump up onto a platform where you fight a mini Rancor monster and a number of troopers.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #2 on: 16 November 2019, 09:06:51 »
Been playing. I like the game (even if if it is Jedi Themed), love the exploration aspect...not a fan of the SOUL/Bloodbourne or similar GIT-GUD play.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #3 on: 17 November 2019, 02:49:14 »
Sadly, this is a case where I'd love to play the game for the lore and flavour, but its a gameplay style that I'm utterly crap at
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #4 on: 17 November 2019, 09:55:17 »
Sadly, this is a case where I'd love to play the game for the lore and flavour, but its a gameplay style that I'm utterly crap at

Well...I for one have dialed it ALL THE WAY down to PADAWAN level I guess, cause much like you, I utterly hate Dark Souls or Bloodbourne, or as I hear it is more closely related to: Sekiro. I hate the whole needing to parry (and parry is very important in this game apparently) at the exact right moment *sigh*

And before anyone asks "Why did you buy it then?"...I didn't. My Son did, so I'm playing cause it's available to play :P
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 17 November 2019, 12:41:10 »
Been playing. I like the game (even if if it is Jedi Themed), love the exploration aspect...not a fan of the SOUL/Bloodbourne or similar GIT-GUD play.
I wasn't complaining really about the game, its more that I prefer games that are a bit more strategy and less platform jumper

Insaniac99

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 18 November 2019, 11:54:13 »
I'm really enjoying it.  I spent most of my weekend playing it, which is rare in the first place.

The platforming has some nice helpers, made even better when you get some of your force powers so you can get into the flow and feel like you are running smoothly.  It rewards going off the beaten path and exploring (I got a special weapon much earlier for doing so, which made some fights easier)

I've been playing on the Jedi Knight Difficulty, which is the normal/default one and I'm really enjoying the combat.  I've never played Dark Souls or the other games they mention in reference, but I do enjoy Monster Hunter, which Dark Souls drew inspiration for it's combat system from.  The counter windows are generous but not too large. Contrary to earlier statements, you don't have to counter, you can just dodge, roll, or run out of the way instead. Countering or perfectly timed dodges are just rewarded with more opportunities to do damage.  You can also take great advantage of your force powers to do damage to your opponents.  As one example of that, I often push or pull to create openings or push enemies off of cliffs.  In one battle I realized I could push a particularly tough opponent into these electrified pillars that would insta-kill them and give me the full XP.  I'm enjoying hunting down the hidden bosses and earning XP that way.

The story started out really generic and I didn't even know what era the game takes place in.  Now I realize it is between original and prequel trilogies.  It's still not the best story as far as I've gotten, but it serves the purpose and is fun -- There also feels like there will be foreshadowing to a big twist that may make this less generic, we will see.  I do kinda wish that we could actually have more input on the story like a RPG game, but I'm still enjoying it.

Overall I'd recommend it.

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 22 November 2019, 19:13:14 »
Trying to avoid spoilers, but i will say the beginning of Kashikk (wookie homeworld ) has a part i found fun, kind of meh part was climbing the ATAT.
Fun part was you play grand theft walker.... even if that part is "on rails"
Another issue with the world for me is i don't particularly like spiders, and so going around a corner and running into a spider about the size of a car, was not pleasant.
Other than that most if the world so far is basically same old same old

Reldn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 01 December 2019, 19:18:12 »
Just started, and I'm sadly a bit mixed on it so far. I think it's because I'm getting really burnt out on the whole "Soulsbourne" formula. As much as I hate to do it, I may dial it back to the easiest difficulty and just enjoy the exploration and story.

3rd Lyran Guards
2nd Oriente Hussars
Scorpion Empire Tau & Seeker Galaxy