Author Topic: Does Anyone Have Experience With the EA App?  (Read 198 times)

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
Does Anyone Have Experience With the EA App?
« on: 20 March 2024, 05:15:20 »
A few/several days ago, "Command & Conquer: The Ultimate Collection" was made available on Steam.  I have ZERO use for Steam, and won't waste my time on it ever again.  I've read the game is available through EA, from their "EA App".  Sure, it's yet another "Front End" thing like GOG Galaxy or . . Steam.  But how does it compare to GOG, Epic, or Steam?

When MW5 dropped, I got it from the Epic Store, because I could link Epic to GOG.  I spent a few hours in Skirmish Mode, and haven't played it since, but that's beside the point.    :grin:  Is the EA App as easy to use as GOG/Epic?   :huh:

Sure, I'd rather wait for them to port the collection to the Xbox, but I'm not sure that's liable to happen, even with some of the Red Alert and Tiberium Wars games available.   :cry:

Edited to add: It's currently $9.99 on EA!   :shocked:  Regular price is $19.99.  Well, it's $19.88, now $9.88 via Steam.   :tongue:  I'd pay more to OWN it rather than to simply Rent it from Steam.   :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: 20 March 2024, 05:20:13 by GRUD »
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

Prospernia

• Lieutenant
Re: Does Anyone Have Experience With the EA App?
« Reply #1 on: 20 March 2024, 17:43:46 »
App?  That's a little too advanced/21st Century for me.  I'm using a back up copy I've had for over twenty-five years. I don't know where or how I got it, but it's from a two dead-computers ago.

GRUD

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 21 March 2024, 02:43:13 »
See, that's what is causing ME to pause, because I associate "App" with phones, and I DON'T want to play C&C on my phone!   :shocked:  I'm Fairly Certain it's a Computer App though.  But again, I know NOTHING about it, so here I am.   :undecided:
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #3 on: 21 March 2024, 14:08:04 »
Yeah, EA bundles EA Play with their games as a anti piracy measure and as a shallow attempted to sell you stuff directly. I personally don't trust anything from EA, I have EA Play on my PC only because Titanfall 2 was stupid cheap on sale and it's a amazing game for $5 sale but I wouldn't touch their application otherwise. If you decide to get C&C, you will need to create a EA Play account after purchasing and lunch the game through EA Play, it's a bigger pain in the ass than it should be in this day and age. After, you should be able to link it to your Steam or GOG account so you can lunch the game from your library from then on without having EA Play cluttering your desktop. It will pop up every time you start the game but that's it. It's a hassle but we are talking EA, everything they do is backwards.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #4 on: 21 March 2024, 20:46:50 »
I haven't heard anything good about EA's app.  Not ever.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 21 March 2024, 22:20:19 »
I haven't heard anything good about EA's app.  Not ever.
isnt it called origin?
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #6 on: 21 March 2024, 23:05:13 »
That was what it was originally called, but I think the name got changed a few years ago.  Not sure, haven't bothered keeping track of it.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

GRUD

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 22 March 2024, 08:59:57 »
Yeah, EA bundles EA Play with their games as a anti piracy measure and as a shallow attempted to sell you stuff directly. I personally don't trust anything from EA, I have EA Play on my PC only because Titanfall 2 was stupid cheap on sale and it's a amazing game for $5 sale but I wouldn't touch their application otherwise. If you decide to get C&C, you will need to create a EA Play account after purchasing and lunch the game through EA Play, it's a bigger pain in the ass than it should be in this day and age. After, you should be able to link it to your Steam or GOG account so you can lunch the game from your library from then on without having EA Play cluttering your desktop. It will pop up every time you start the game but that's it. It's a hassle but we are talking EA, everything they do is backwards.
It Sounds like it runs more like Epic or GOG than Steam then, am I understanding that correctly?   :huh:  I don't HAVE to be online in order to play?  Their FAQ says you can tie it to Epic or Steam, but since I've got Epic tied to GOG, there "Shouldn't" be a problem.  "Shouldn't"   :rolleyes:  I know how MY luck rolls though!   :laugh:

GRUD

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 22 March 2024, 09:08:39 »
isnt it called origin?
From their FAQ.

What’s the difference between the EA app and Origin?
The EA app is our latest PC platform and has replaced Origin on PC. Origin for Mac continues to serve our Mac players.

Doesn't say When they changed over though.  :undecided:  I found an Article from a Site called "The Verge" that seems to be from either 10 July or 7 October, from '22, mentioning the change.  The URL mentions "2022/10/7", but anyway, it says the change is "Coming Soon", so it still happened in '22, apparently.

The last C&C game I bought was before Steam was created, and it came on a disk.  I Might have all the ones I've got somewhere, but I doubt ANY of them would play on my current desktop PC.   :sad:  When this collection first came out (I think in '12?), I still had dialup, so buying it wasn't an option then.  I've got Broadband now, but still ZERO interest in fouling my PC with Steam.   :tongue:

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 22 March 2024, 09:53:12 »
so its still origin but with sprinkles?
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #10 on: 22 March 2024, 17:51:42 »
so its still origin but with sprinkles?
yes.

I use it for Mass Effect and C&C and that's it. It's just another proprietary storefront.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

Register