Author Topic: The Engima (AU)-Avalon in Rebellion  (Read 13695 times)

Lord Harlock

• Captain
  • Watching from the Shadows
The Engima (AU)-Avalon in Rebellion
« on: 04 January 2013, 20:47:07 »
[This began as something totally different, but I kept wanting to write with other characters. Thus, I gave up and made it a fanfic. Enjoy.]

Chapter 1: Sacred Honor

Near the Thames River
Avalon City, New Avalon
Crucis March, Federated Commonwealth
March 10, 3061

Marshall Bishop Sortek stands at a lower embankment of the Thames River near his home. The house sat near one of the bridges in Avalon City.  Touching the aging bricks that made up the archway that allowed crossing into the old city, the commander of the Davion Brigade of Guards looks at the aging medieval facade of the old city.

“I wonder if Lucien Davion thought about tearing it down,” wonders the man.

“Actually from what the chair of the history department says. Lucien wanted all of New Avalon to always build like this, Marshall Sortek. Obviously, he didn’t get his wish especially at Y’s.”

Startled for a second, Bishop turns around on this darkened night. He sees that it was Dr. John Parker of the New Avalon Institute of Science and head of a historical mercenary regiment. “You nearly scared me half way to Sian, Doctor.”

The two men shake hands. Sortek made sure to check with his guards who were watching him from a safe distance. They nod with their needlers easily useable.

Parker laughs. “Though I know this is a serious matter, Marshall. It is for the best. My people over at New Avalon Military Academy confirmed the worst fears of the Old Man and the information that he provided.”

Bishop Sortek nodded. After he had a talk with the Old Man who had secretly been bringing people together who opposed Regent Katherine Steiner-Davion for about a month, Sortek knew this was the only way. At first, Bishop rejected the proposal of pressing the Regent to renounce any claim to the Federated Commonwealth once the Archon-Prince Victor Ian Steiner-Davion was sighted in the Inner Sphere.

However, it had become apparent that Katherine, the second child of First Prince Hanse Davion and Princess Melissa Steiner-Davion, would not leave the throne to return to her break away state, the Lyran Alliance. Even then, the informant that the Old Man had provided had provided meant things had to go forward nearly immediately to save what was left.

“The Old Man is risking a lot by having open rebellion against that witch,” declared Bishop Sortek.

The Old Man was an staple of the Federated Suns since the bygone days of Hanse Davion. In fact, his family had given much blood for the dying dream of the Fox and his wife. The Old Man had come forth after receiving information from someone close to Katherine who had remained anonymous to most of the members of the conspiracy.

“And there is a greater risk that we will never have another chance to ensure the freedom and security of our people without more blood later. Either we wait to see Katherine manipulate and mold us like she does the Lyrans which may be worse than either state knows, or we act now.”

Sortek nodded to Parker. “I understand that, but it doesn’t make it any easier even if the plan succeeds in ninety percent of its objectives: there is high probability that the 10th Deneb Cavalry will be still be an effective fighting force which means that we will be making war on our own countrymen. And if we don’t make a big enough stink, it’s possible that Victor will not return to resume the throne leaving my officers and myself to the gallows.”

Sortek pointed at Parker. “No doubt, you will be joining us considering your unit is considered a mercenary unit, doctor.”

Parker laughed. “As the saying goes, we either swing separately or together. Personally, I’d rather be in good company than be hanged alone.” 

Sortek was not reassured. “This is the first time that the Davion Guards will be in rebellion against any Davion even one who styles herself as a Steiner. Then again, she is a larger traitor than any of us imagined.” Sortek’s face reddens.

“It doesn’t matter if she styles herself as Mad Max’s illegitimate daughter through a conspiracy by Comstar and the Capellans for the the Fourth Succession War: she has proven herself unworthy by her actions in 3057. Her actions in 3058 if they were known by every citizen of the Inner Sphere should condemn her to the lowest level of hell next to Brutus, Cassius, and especially Judas.”

The anger swirls around Bishop as he remembers the information that had been provided him by the Old Man as he breathes for a moment.

The information had been so damning for most of those that had seen the information that even Leftenant-General Payne had vomited after finding out. It had lead to the New Avalon Crucis March Militia becoming neutral utterly. Though Payne gave his opinion often on planning, but he wanted to keep unit out of the fighting.

Parker describes his feelings to the angry Marshall.

“Of course, she deserves Hell for what she’s done, but what’s worse is that she is trying to change us. She talks out of one side of her mouth to cover up the atrocities that she commits when no one in the media is looking. There are worlds starving in the Lyran Alliance right now thanks to her desire to create crises that make her look like a savior later. She doctors her government’s reports to make herself look like there is growth when in fact there was no growth what so ever. It either makes your blood boil or you accept it like a dog.”

The doctor snidely adds. “If Morgan Kell knew why the LAAF had so few units near the Wolf Occupation Zone especially considering that Ito would kill the Fourth Davion Guards given just a push from Katherine. Only for Clan Wolf to trample over what was left of the Fifth Alliance Guards. The  Wolves wouldn’t stop till possibly Thakard.”

Bishop Sortek shook his head. “The problem is that Katherine expects us to act like willing dogs since she thinks that she already controls us fully. If you can confirm that your people are in position on Rostock, we have a chance to pull this one off.”

Parker smiled. “The Tenth Deneb Cavalry isn’t aware that we’ve replaced ninety percent of their techs with our people already. Sure DMI might’ve noticed that a large number of professors and graduate students at NAIS are out sick with Galaxian Flu if the Old Man hadn’t come back to lead on that front.”

“Then Katherine Steiner-Davion has only one more day until she no longer rules the Suns.”

Simon’s Steaks- Steakhouse
Avalon City, New Avalon

Katrina Steiner-Davion slices into the properly prepared steak with a single stroke of her knife. If only it had been so easy to get the Federated Suns half of the Federated Commonwealth especially after her older brother embarrassment at the Whittening Conference. As she lifted the piece of meat to her mouth, the string quartet began to play the rising chord from “Carmina Burana.”

As she took a bite, the bows slid stronger.

Life was good.

Her companions for the evening at one of the most prestigious steakhouses in Avalon City were her troubled advisor, Tormano Liao, and the gregarious one, Simon Gallagher. Tormano had again raised objections to what was going on in the St. Ives Compact, but she needed it to continue till at least the end of year where she’d be crowned the First Lord. Then, she could end it, and she’d reap the rewards of being a peacemaker again.

“And bring us a ‘55  Young-Colbert Champagne from Argyle,” orders Gallagher finishing off another bottle. The waiter’s face sours on the request.

“As it any wonder that most other officers in the Armed Forces of the Federated Commonwealth think of you as a foreigner, Gallagher?” questions the occidental man. If Katrina knew one thing, it was that Tormano Liao was shrewd even when he was depressed. In fact, the Young Colbert Champagne was in fact owned now by a Capellan exile. Most of the elite in Avalon City would rather drink the leavings of a poisoned mad man than drink a Capellan brewed champagne.

Katrina was about to help Gallagher when Tormano gave an order instead. “We’ll have a bottle of ‘47 Ling-Brewer Champagne, garcon.”

Gallagher looked at Mandarin Tormano Liao who smiled like a Cheshire Cat as the waiter smiled as well. “I don’t get these Feddies sometimes,” scoffed Gallagher. “It’s not like I ordered a Lyran label.”

Tormano laughed. “It’s not the label or the name that makes something liked by the lowest citizens of the former Federated Suns or the nobility. It is loyalty more than anything. The Young Colbert bottle is perhaps a crisper tasting champagne with a smoother taste, but the fact that it was bought by Anton Colbert poisoned the brand to many of the people of the Suns since Anton Colbert tens years ago was one of my beloved sisters’ chief economic advisors.”

“When my nephew Sun-Tzu became Chancellor, Anton disappeared with his wealth and a little of the Capellan state budget as well, and he reappeared to buy out the failing but popular Young Vineyards. And under him, the vineyard has increased its market share across the Inner Sphere except for two nations. The Capellan Confederation where it is illegal, and of course the former Federated Suns where there are questions if Anton is just a plant by my nephew. It still sells well in some quarters, but it shouldn’t be seen in high society.” 

Tormano looked at Katrina with his jade green eyes.  “Would you not agree, your highness?”

Katrina smiled. As well as she tried to hide it, she had for too long ignored the former Suns and its customs. It was easier to entice the Lyrans because there was a bit of superficiality to Lyran culture.  To most Lyrans except in the Isle of Skye and the Arc Royal Defense Corridor, the ideal was to be successful that was enough to attract followers. And if that wasn’t possible, fake it. That worked too for awhile.

“Of course, Mandarin. However, the people of my father’s realm are often too judgmental. Loyalty is more important to them than say what is the best outcome.”Then Katrina became a bit more playful almost giddy.”That will change. Once we prove that you must go beyond loyalty and weapons for politics to be correct. Then the people will embrace me, and the future will truly begin.”

However, Katrina knew that there was a problem. She didn’t know how to get that loyalty which will allow her to change the hearts of the people. The easiest solution was start and win a war.

However, she loathed combat and warriors in general except for one beloved one, so she couldn’t lead a grand war at the moment. If she could get the First Lordship at the next Star League Conference , she could justify a war against Sun-Tzu which would allow her to save the St. Ives Compact while at the same time galvanizing the people of the Suns towards her.

At the moment, all she had was the word of several of the top AFFC officers, the Privy Council, and several media outlets who mostly had Lyran administrators or had some issue with her father. New Avalon Broadcasting Company called her a diamond in the rough from the loins of Hanse Davion. As much as she appreciated the support, Katrina knew it was because of her father and  Karl Green’s feud. Green didn’t actually think that she was a good ruler, but instead, it was due to her denounced her father when she took over the Lyran portion of the Federated Commonwealth.

She had been loath to do that lately.

Looking across the room, Katrina saw a painting showing her father. Depicted in the blue uniform of Davion Guard with the Sunvest, he had a smile that was welcoming. The fact that he was surrounded by cheering crowds disturbed Katrina. She had to fake the same atmosphere that just seemed to come to Hanse Davion.

And with time, she will have their loyalty, and Katrina had all the time in the world at the moment to get it.

“I must be going, Archon-Princess,” said Tormano.

After getting Simon Gallagher drinking all night, it was odd to Katrina that her advisor was quite conservative in his own consumption of alcohol.  Plus, it was early in the evening for Tormano who enjoyed a bit of the luxury.

“That is odd, Mandarin Liao. Usually you enjoy such dinners, and I’d think that you’d take this opportunity to use being in my presence at this restaurant to encourage the press to hear the plight of your Free Capella movement.”

Tormano smiled again. “My apologizes, Archon-Princess.” Katrina beams when she hears those words.

“However as you know Marshall Jackson Davion has been loath to allow me to attend meetings with the AFFC, and he finally is allowing me to attend one early in the morning, and I don’t want to be the ‘Chancellor’s Crazy Bumbling Uncle’ as he puts it and late as well. So I’ve decided to be early to bed tonight to get your cousin’s favor.”

Katrina still aglow at being called Archon-Princess allowed her advisor his leave. “Of course, Mandarin. I’m sure that Marshall Gallagher and you will give me a full report tomorrow after the meeting in the morning report.”

Simon nodded. Tormano merely smiled and praised Katrina. “Of course, it is to your credit that you are so voracious at absorbing information, your highness.”

With a bow, Tormano Liao disappeared quickly. Katrina ignored his disappearance. Her cousin though he had pledged loyalty snubbed Mandarin Liao who Katrina knew was totally under her control. That could not be allowed for too long.

In time, she’d get rid of Jackson and replace him with someone else. All she had to be was patient.

Ian Davion Memorial Spaceport
Outside Avalon City

Ardan Sortek sat alone waiting to be called to board the civilian dropship to the Free Rasalhague Republic. Instead of a Armed Forces of the Federated Suns uniform or even a Commonwealth variant, Sortek wore a simple business suit. In many ways, he had memories of a similar event nearly thirty-five years ago with a young Lefentant Andrew Redburn going to Tharkad.

“Somehow, I doubt that Hanse ever thought that all of his dreams and the ideals of his realm would be undermined by Katherine, his own daughter,” mumbles Ardan to himself. Running his right hand through his thinning and greying  hair, Ardan wished that he had spoken up about Katherine that time so many years ago.

It was Christmas morning right after the War of ‘39 in 3040. Ardan arrived on New Avalon where Hanse was still trying to figure out what had gone wrong during the invasion of the Combine in his spare time.

The moment crystalizes in Ardan’s mind as he remembers the look that the young Katherine gave him as he walked into the family chamber in Castle Davion. Her blue eyes would have shut particle projector cannon at him if her father hadn’t been there. Hanse was pleased with his family, and in many ways, he failed to see problems with the children that he had with his lovely but also decessed wife, Melissa.

Though the odder aspect of Katherine was that she tried to correct a conversation with the younger Victor, the younger Katherine tried to explain to her older brother how their grandmother had been a great leader of the Commonwealth without needing a BattleMech. Victor found it odd to say the least considering many factors. For the first decade of his life, Victor had been almost exclusively been raised by his grandmother who dotted on him but also taught him stories of great Lyran leaders especially the ones who had been able to straddle the economic and martial worlds. Victor also apparent was taken for rides in her Warhammer with her at the controls while the young prince ridding on her lap.

Ardan had witnessed this activity when he been sent to Tharkad to visit the young prince since neither Hanse or Melissa could go due to the birth of their third child, Peter. Archon Katrina Steinrer was a gracious host who allowed Ardan to discuss and detail things that Victor would need to know about the Suns. Victor always wanted to know about military concerns as oppose to the nature of the High Council.

Then again, no one cares about the High Council especially those who were members of it, laughed Ardan to himself.

However, Victor revealed that Archon Katrina Steiner had during her tutelage of her grandson gone a bit too far with martial stories of her days in the Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces. In many ways, Katrina showed that she hated the superficial aspects of the Lyran court that tried to be golden but was merely gilded at times. When Ardan spoke to Katrina on the need for some form of balance which was odd coming from him, Katrina merely said that she tired of the world of fleeting youth and wealth. She wanted two things: Arthur and to pilot her Warhammer one last time.

That was two years before her death, Ardan recalled.

And then Ardan was shocked as a blacked hair boy with almost emerald green eyes sat down next to him. He had the look of many on New Avalon and in the garden worlds of the Federated Suns. European looks and a determined tone about him, he probably should have been in military uniform as a cadet at Albion, Goshen, or one of the other martial academies.

“Champion Sortek,” the young adut said.

“It’s just Ardan Sortek now. Though I guess I could go by Baron Sortek, but I never really had a desire to run my father’s estates. I left that to my siblings long ago.”

The young man corrected himself. “Mr. Sortek, there is a courtesy call in the Prince’s Lounge.”

Ardan shrugged as he picked up his small carry-on bag. “I guess that someone is trying to keep me on New Avalon again.”

The young man smiled. “Follow me, sir.”

Walking into White Swan Prince’s Lounge, he noticed something off about the room. It wasn’t the wooden floors or leather chairs. It wasn’t even the luxury trivid screens with the American Football game between the Albion Princes and the Las Vegas Valiants. No, it was the lack of people in the lounge except for an old man. His hair and beard were whiter, and his features more wrinkled than the last time that Ardan had seen him plus the cane was new.

As the doors shut thanks to the young man closing them, Ardan looked shocked at one at first he thought was a ghost.

“Quintus Allard, I thought that you were on Kestrel hiding out from Blakest with a cover of Alzheimer or some other political nonsense. What are you doing on New Avalon?”

Quintus Allard smiles widely. “Simple Ardan, I’m here to salvage what remains of Hanse Davion’s legacy. And thank you, grandson for fetching Champion Sortek. He seems to be a hard man to get in contact with and especially to keep in place. Do you know how many times I had to get your dropships delayed?”

The boy who could only be Quintus Allard-Liao who apparently had no occidental features on him from Liao or even his father’s Xiang blood except for his Liao green eyes nodded to his namesake. “Grandfather, Champion Sortek’s bags have been collected, and have already been put in the transport.”

Ardan looks at the boy. “What is the meaning of this?”

Quintus shakes his head.  “Always a bit slow, Ardan. It’s a good thing that Pavel was slower, or else you wouldn’t be here now. However as I told you, the nation needs us one last time, Ardan.”

Ardan looks perplexed by the announcement of the man as he get up with is cane. “The Privy Council already stripped me of my position, Quintus. It’s over already.”

Quintus still smiles as he answers back. “A regent or privy council cannot dismiss a Prince’s Champion when the Prince is merely campaigning. It’s amazing how few actually understand the Suns’ constitution. Personally I blame the fact on Gogh-Bukowski School of the Written Arts for their continued joke of education. Those unwashed and moronic bohemians would give us up to the first despot who said pretty words about the poor and downtrodden.”

Ardan looked at Quintus as the old man came and somehow lifted Sortek out of his seat. “Enough about political philosophy, we don’t have much time. By morning, the Suns will wake up to discover that you are now Regent.”

Sortek was a bit shocked. “What in the world is going on, Quitnus?”

Chuckling, Quintus Allard handed Ardan’s small suitcase to his grandson who went to open a backdoor. “Some call it treason. Personally, I prefer the original definition of revolution where we are restoring the natural laws and traditions until Victor Steiner-Davion returns to reclaim the throne of New Avalon.”

Ardan Sortek noticed suddenly a device from NAIS which canceled out sound on the table which Quintus picked up. “So now, let’s go. My contact in Katherine’s government has already arranged all the details and the damning evidence. He was quite helpful considering what he actually has been doing for the past thirty years. Plus, the Davion Guards are ready to move.”

Sortek was shocked. “A coup, Quintus? Good soldiers will die.”

Frowning a bit, Quintus Allard sighs. “If you don’t come along . . . probably, they will die, but we need you for this to work.”

Ardan thought of his friend, Hanse Davion. Was he willing to lead the Suns into a Civil War to save his friend’s legacy against his friend’s daughter? And the answer was of course, yes.

Ardan Sortek rose and followed the two Allard men into the unknown country. 

“Excellent, I knew you’d come, Ardan. And you said that we would need the chloroform, Junior,” laughs Quintus Allard as he walked down the nondescript service corridors.

The spymaster’s grandson shrugs.
« Last Edit: 20 January 2013, 23:35:21 by Lord Harlock »

snakespinner

• Captain
Re: Avalon in Rebellion
« Reply #1 on: 04 January 2013, 21:23:39 »
Good to see a rebellion brewing. O0
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #2 on: 04 January 2013, 22:44:21 »
Nice.  And who better to lead it
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #3 on: 04 January 2013, 23:49:00 »
Very nice really enjoyed it, could maybe use a beta read just to clear some of the grammer but a really nice story brewing
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 05 January 2013, 02:34:12 »
tag
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 05 January 2013, 03:35:51 »
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

David CGB

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 05 January 2013, 04:03:38 »
need more of this story.......
will give much for more of the story
Federated Suns fan forever, Ghost Bear Fan since 1992, and as a Ghost Bear David Bekker star captain (in an Alt TL Loremaster)

gladius

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 05 January 2013, 07:41:56 »
Very nice really enjoyed it, could maybe use a beta read just to clear some of the grammer but a really nice story brewing

Agreed: needs a good edit for grammar and punctuation, but its always good to see things not going Kathies way.

*TAG*

Lord Harlock

• Captain
Re: The Engima (AU)-Avalon in Rebellion
« Reply #8 on: 20 January 2013, 23:38:32 »
[Chapter 2 took longer due to getting the flu two weeks ago. However, it did give me a better name for the alternative reality that I'm creating. The moniker, Enigma, will make much more sense as things go on.]

Chapter 2: Rising Sun

South of Avalon City by Fifty Kilometers
Camelot Region, New Avalon
March 11, 3061

As Nathan St. Cloud pushed his new Aston Martin Fiver to its limits, the only thing the young business executive can think is that it is good to be rich. The fake pure of the electric engine of his sport-car filled his hearing with the roar it wanted from speeding up. The cool crisp morning air of North Albion made him feel alive.

And then that came to abrupt halt.

Suddenly traffic stops complete thanks to soldiers from the Armed Forces of the Federated Commonwealth directing them away from the main route. Since traffic had slowed, Nathan put out his head.

“Hey chaps, what the bloody hell?”

One of the soldiers in a full kit from the ‘58 Davion Pride program replied back in his helmet based on the Armed Forces of the Federated Suns as opposed to the awkward egg-shaped helmets of the Lyran Alliance Armed Forces and former kits of the Federated Commonwealth military.

“Just doing some war games before we get sent out to Galax, buddy.”

St. Cloud hated the accent of someone from the Capellan March, but the man did wear the emblem of the Laughing Fox marking him as a member of the Davion Heavy Guards. St. Cloud shook his head full of slicked back hair. “Well give the daft Princess a one-two before she outlaws making fun of that expanding Lyarn rump of hers!”

“Will do, partner.”

As St. Cloud drove off, the soldier looked back briefly seeing the last staff officer of the Davion Heavy Guards still on New Avalon, Major General Jonathan Davion.

The general placed his hand on the soldier’s shoulder as the last car got drove off. “Corporal, the engineers need some strong backs in securing some of the defenses for the artillery.”

As the soldier from the 15th Kirklin Mobile Infantry walked to help the combat engineers, Jonathon looked at his guards in Cavalier Battle Armor suits. With the plumes on their helmets, General Davion thought that they could be gladiators on some unknown world in the Marian Hegemony.

But as the first light of a new day began to peak of the horizon, Jonathan Davion looked to the Author of the Unfinished Book, God, for wisdom. In addition, he prayed to himself that the \unknown country of tomorrow did not consume his cousin and mentor, Jackson Davion, or anyone else unless it became necessary. But this was for the Prince, and he’d do his duty as a Davion Guard. As God as his witness, Jonathan Davion would fight to the last of his strength for the Prince.

“For Victor,” he says softly as he walks back to his headquarters.

Conference Room Omega
Fox’s Den, Mount Davion

Marshall of the Armies Jackson Davion hated one thing specifically about Champion Simon Gallagher, his whining.

“Tormano Liao hasn’t shown up yet,” the man screeches for the hundredth time it seemed.

Thankfully in the reinforced room, someone had provided some rare Marduk Coffee. Before the fall of Marduk during the War of ‘39, Marduk Coffee was one the prime exports other than Wolverine ‘mechs. After the fall of the world to the Combine, the beans became treasured since the Combine didn’t allow export of the coffee anymore. There were rumors that Chandy Kurita might start up a company to export the coffee again. It was just a rumor though.

As the crisp but odd cinnamene taste of the warm liquid went down his esophagus, Jackson looked at the so-called Champion. “Calm down, Gallagher. There was apparently some elevator malfunction today in the Den. Bishop Sortek already informed that he was trapped in an elevator.”

Like a pampered child, Gallagher puffed his cheeks out. “I bet that damn Liao is currently taking a nape.”

Jackson almost spoke, but a briefing officer from military intelligence walked in. The man probably in his mid twenties still had the vigor of youth. “Marshals and Lords,” said the man as he walked in.

And then as a leftenant started to hand out the briefing folders, Jackson skimmed over the information. The folder detailed raids by a new group of pirates that had raided Filtvelt, Inner End, and Rentz. There was even a table of organization and equipment (TOE) with ‘mechs such as the Mercury, Marauder, and even the Atlas II. But something was wrong.

Jackson looked at the other marshals and officials in the room, and he realized all of them had given their loyalty to Archon Katherine Steiner-Davion as regent. And then scanning the documents again, Jackson looked at the code name for the group, the ‘Dark.’ He nearly swallowed his tongue when it dawned on him.

“This is a farce,” said Jackson as he slammed his fist on the holo table.

Suddenly, the guards that had been above the table primed their weapons. And the briefing officer pressed several keys before Jackson could get out of the room. “My apologies, Marshall Davion, but you are to be restrained in this room until the deed is done. Consider all of yourselves under arrest by the Armed Forces of the Federated Suns (AFFS).”

Simon Gallagher gauged bile for a minute. “Wait! This isn’t a briefing on the Dark? This is a coup. Damn I bet that Liao is behind this all.”

Jackson ignored Simon as he realized who was really behind this all. It had been 3035 when he forced heard the idea of the ‘Dark’; it was a training exercise created by the Ministry of Intelligence. Using the idea of the Minnesota Tribe, the Intelligence Minister Quintus Allard had created an enemy that hit multiply worlds faster without regard to civilian deaths, territory conquest, or even logistics. This enemy just wanted to burn everything.

As the leftenant offered coffee, Jackson Davion realized that this was going to be a long day.

Command and Control
 Fox’s Den, Mount Davion
Crucis March, Federated Suns (Commonwealth)

“Understood, Sun Actual out,” said Bishop Sortek as he stood in command of New Avalon. He had just communicated with Captain Aznavour. The senior staff of the Armed Forces of the Federated Commonwealth (AFFC) along with several members of the Privy Council was currently under the control of loyal troops. Most of the disloyal Privy Council would be under control within in the hour.

“We are ahead of schedule.”

Bishop turned to see his uncle, Arden walked toward him. Putting down his headset, Bishop saluted his older cousin or uncle. The older man dressed in AFFS dress uniform saluted back and then gave a brief hug.“Champion, the plan has come together faster than expected. Already, we have control of most of the planet. The Tenth Deneb Cavalry is reporting problems across the board with equipment which means that they are out of direct combat.”

Standing near the holographic globe, Arden Sortek nodded. Then he pointed toward the new warship in orbit of New Avalon. “What about the FCS Alexander Davion?”

Bishop chuckled. “Commodore Fritz Eckert is currently in command. It seems that Vice Admiral Matilda Calkin caught a bad case of Galaxn Flu.”

Arden shook his head. “This isn’t the way that should have happened. Hanse had ways with people even those that disagreed with him. However, Katherine just not seem to understand the damage that she is doing.”

Arden turned toward a large map of the Inner Sphere. Hundreds of techs looked over data at any minute pinpointing units and the status of worlds. The Federated Commonwealth which was really the old Federated Suns was outlined in gold. It was not as strong as it had been four years again when it and the Lyran portion where outlined in blue for the Federated Commonwealth. However, the thing that bothered Arden was not the floundering of the dream of Hanse Davion and Katrina Steiner. Instead, it was the flashing nature of the worlds in the St. Ives Compact.

Something had to be done about it.

And that was when Quintus Allard walked into the room. “Gentlemen, the messages have been sent out via Comstar. I am sure that the fanatics will be able to get them to their intended destinations on time for the next part of the plan.”

Arden looked at Quintus. “So you sent a message to Prince Victor that he’ll receive upon his arrival back in the Inner Sphere?”

Quintus shook his head. “I did that a week ago. No, but I did send my evidence to my son’s father-in-law on Arc Royal.”

Arden looked at Quintus. “You sent a copy of the evidence to Morgan Kell! I thought that we were going to make sure that Katherine returns to the Lyran.”

Snickering from a chair in the shadows, the third member of the triumvirate of leaders finally rose from the shadows. In his Capellan style robes, Tormano Liao kept his smile even as AFFS troops sneered at him.

“The problem, Champion, is that you fail to see that the mouse doesn’t have to tell the mouse that she is trapped. We allow a means of controlled escape for the mouse, and then it truly will be caught.”

Quintus Allard nodded. “There are at times that I miss having another devious mind to work with Tormano. Though find it odd that Katherine is so trusting of those that she assumes are in her thrall.”

“Devious? That’s a bit slanderous, Count Allard. Though it is accurate, and if there is one problem with Katr. . .Katherine, she is a bit trusting. It will be what will undermine her,” offered the Liao Mandarin.

Ardan shook his head. “I don’t know which of you is worse. At least Tormano Liao has a reason to be so dismissive of people, but Quintus, you’ve seen the best of people.”

Quintus did not offer any emotion. He looked at his cane. “Indeed, I have seen the best, and at times, the worst of humanity was my guide instead. And at the moment, my experience with the worst will get us through this day and to the next.”

Tormano Liao tapped his pocket watch. “Well as much as I like to hear a philosophical discussion, we need to tell Katherine Steiner-Davion that she has been disposed.”

Quintus looked at Bishop Sortek. “Before we go, any detection of the wild card, Marshall?”

The commander of the Davion Guard Brigade sighed. “There has been detection of the new regiment, but deliveries indicate that they are somewhere in the east Ronde Tableau.”

Champion Sortek nodded. “Then I hope Quintus is right about General Jonathon Davion being able to hold them off.”

Quintus Allard started walking to the exit of the CinC. “Have no worry.  I have faith in Jon Davion’s stratagem. He is the key to a new paradigm in the AFFS for years to come, and if the wild card has.”

“So shall we go kiss the princess?”

Archon Katrina Steiner-Davion’s quarters
Castle Davion, New Avalon
Crucis March, Federated Suns

It was eight in the morning when Katrina finally decided to get out of the warm comfy bed. In her light blue nightgown, she lazily walked into a dining chamber that she liked to use for her morning breakfast.

As the doors were opened, Katrina noticed that the Davion Royal Guards were especially stiff today. Their dour features did not hide the contempt that they had for her.

As she walked into the chamber, there was Tormano Liao. He smiled as he usually did. However what came out of her mouth shocked Katrina as she looked around the room.

“Ah Katherine, have you meet Champion Arden Sortek and Count Quintus Allard? I was just discussing with them that little trip you took to Kiamba in February of 3058. That was a Smoke Jaguar world in those days if I remember correct, Archon?”

The blood drained from Katherine’s face. 

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 21 January 2013, 00:54:02 »
What a splendid wake up call for Katherine. :D
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

gladius

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 21 January 2013, 01:05:36 »
Ah, I love the smell of High Treason in the morning... Too bad Katherine doesn't, unless its hers ...

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 21 January 2013, 02:51:54 »
Interesting now all we need if for Vic to go screw you I'm Lyran lol

Feel sorry for Jackson Davion more than anything caught in a trap he knew all about
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #12 on: 21 January 2013, 10:57:55 »
Good Morning!
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Lord Harlock

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 21 January 2013, 11:22:28 »
Interesting now all we need if for Vic to go screw you I'm Lyran lol

Feel sorry for Jackson Davion more than anything caught in a trap he knew all about

If they can't get Victor, there are always alternatives.  ^-^ Though one of them will need a lot of work. Robinson Battle Academy is really not a good institution of higher learning.

As for Jackson, he didn't know what the meeting was about except for increased raiding in the Outback. It was already too late when he discovered the truth, but I wouldn't feel too sorry for Jackson. The Old Man has plans.

What a splendid wake up call for Katherine. :D
Ah, I love the smell of High Treason in the morning... Too bad Katherine doesn't, unless its hers ...

Yeah, it always amazed me that Katherine basically just let Tormano go in canon. It really didn't back fire in canon, but the man knew most of Kat's dirty secrets including Kiamba. Then again, I miss Tormano; he was my favorite Liao.

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #14 on: 24 January 2013, 08:22:05 »
While 1. Davion Guards guarded the palace, wouldn't Katherine bring also her own bodyguards from Tharkad?
Shoot first, laugh later.

Headshot

• Master Sergeant
  • Trust me. I know what i'm doing.
« Reply #15 on: 03 February 2013, 06:20:18 »
The 1st DG doesn't simply "guard the palace".
They started out as the personal guard of the Davion family, and provided personal security for the royal family for something like 500 years with fanatical, personally sworn loyalty, until the White Bitch replaced them with the noob (but loyal to her) 3rd Robinson Rangers, and then wiped out the 1st DG (at least in canon).
There are no "Secret Service" types hovering around the Prince, the men standing guard at his door proudly wear their uniform.

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 04 February 2013, 01:00:57 »
The 1st DG doesn't simply "guard the palace".
They started out as the personal guard of the Davion family, and provided personal security for the royal family for something like 500 years with fanatical, personally sworn loyalty, until the White Bitch replaced them with the noob (but loyal to her) 3rd Robinson Rangers, and then wiped out the 1st DG (at least in canon).
There are no "Secret Service" types hovering around the Prince, the men standing guard at his door proudly wear their uniform.

like Royal Guards of history. Like what the British still have (partially), yes?

Lord Harlock

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 05 February 2013, 00:17:15 »
Chapter 3: Always Wash Before You Eat

South of Avalon City by Fifty Kilometers
Camelot Region, New Avalon
March 11, 3061

Explosions rocked the mobile command center as Jon Davion watched the holographic projector in front of him. The wireframes of several missile boat mechs could be seen from Longbows to even a Jenner on the holotable. He however was concentrating on the moving targets.

“A company of light to assault support ‘mechs has opened fire on our position. Scout-2 is reporting that in addition there is a heavy cavalry regiment moving straight to our position as well lead by a rather determined looking Berserker.”

Jon Davion looked at his subordinate. “Are Col Joers and Col. Bareis’ troops ready to go?”

“Yes, Major General, they checked in right before the Third Robinson Rangers opened fire. It seems the Old Man was right that some of them had been training out on the plateau even if McBride has not arrived on New Avalon.”

Jonathon Davion smiled. “Our tags are on their artillery mechs. Open fire with everything that we have. Have Major Kit Conners use the mechs and tanks under him to draw the attention of that cavalry company while Joers and Bareis spring the real trap of a thousand cuts.”

Protected in the mobile command center, Jon Davion shook his head as the first shots of his artillery units shot into the air followed by missiles. His scout mech watching the missile mechs sent back footage that Jon turned to watch as explosions rocked their positions.

There was the image of twisted metal as explosions and shredding shrapnel tore the mechs to pieces. After several more volleys, the enemy support mechs would be susceptible to either a truce or retreat. Jon would take either.

Turning back to see the thundering Berserker inching closer to his base camp on the holotable, Jonathon Davion clinched his fist. The question of patience was before him. If he sprang the trap too soon, good men would die. Jon Davion had to wait for the correct moment to give the order.

Private Breakfast Room
Castle Davion, Mount Davion               

Katherine screamed. “Eunice, protect me!”

Suddenly a woman in an Avalon maid uniform that was similar to a French Maid outfit only with more modest English dress line rushed past the guards who fell to the floor shocked. Springing into the room, Katherine smiled as her secret guard entered the room. “Leave non alive, Ms. Graves. Start with the traitorous Liao. As my father proved, never trust one.”

But just as Eunice’s arm split open allowing an electrified blade to slide out to strike Tormano Liao, a blade riposted the arm. The swordsman holding his hidden blade from his cane chuckled. “I really should have told the Federated Commonwealth Committee to eliminate all LOKI agents when I had the chance.”

Katherine was shocked as Quintus Allard’s scrapped various swaths of fake skin across Eunice’s arm with his blade. “How in the world, did you know to bring a weapon? And who gave you the right to be so good with it at your age?” she screamed in frustration.

Quintus who swished his head to right to avoid the Lyran shocker laughed as he pushed the woman’s fake arm down to the wooden table. “It’s quite simple. I train still in fencing, and when you get to my age in the game of words and intrigue, you keep a couple of secret weapons. Do you really believe me to be a feeble old man? The reports of various aliments were merely stories and fairy tales to keep me safe during my so-called retirement.”

Eunice using her real left arm smacked the aging spymaster drawing blood. Letting the blood drip from his mouth, Quintus continued to talk as Tormano Liao backed away from the table. Adrian Sortek looked ready to jump in, but he backed a way a bit to let his friend fight.

“That’s always the key to truly winning over your opponent, Katherine. Making them think that you are weak to lure them into a trap, and then you strike.” Quintus cut into the arm again.

South of Avalon City

Kommandant Otto Klein whose AFFC record reported that he was from New Ivaarsen with experience in the 2nd New Ivaarsen Chasseurs smiled as his Berserker surged forward, but that wasn’t true. He was an orphan adopted into the loving embrace of the Lyran state years before, and he had a duty like any son to take care of that state. In his quick and ax wielding assault mech, he would prove the so-called War Masters in House Davion the power of the moving mountain.

“These defenses seem light, Kommandant Klein.”

Ignoring the Draconis March mechwarrior, Otto scanned his vision as he saw possibly two companies of tanks and possibly seven mechs to take on his heavy calvary company of mechs. “You seem to think too much of this, Jon Davion. There is a reason why mechs are the Kaisers of the battlefield, dummkopf,” laughed Otto.

Still laughing, Otto pushed down a Valkyrie, a light ‘mech, with his mighty axe with sparks coming off. Then as he fired his weapons crippling the mech, Otto suddenly felt something odd about this situation. His support fire from the other company had disappeared, and suddenly something else appeared even as he redirected his attention toward several Patton tanks firing on him.

“They should be called Rommels,” said Klein to himself.

Suddenly his lancemates were screaming over the radio as smaller objects appeared all over them on his scanner. It was the same all over as suddenly he realized what was going on when there was a thump on the front of his cockpit. It was a Clan Elemental battlearmor that had been resized for a smaller figure; it was colored in the colors of the Davion Heavy Guards along with their emblems and the symbol of the anachronic Armed Forces of the Federated Suns.

There was a crack in his cockpit window even as Otto realized that those Pattons were being followed by two additional Valkyries who fired their weapons into Otto’s legs. Suddenly his computer screeched that the right leg had been critically damaged.  The Toad seemed to salute with its claw hand as it jumped off the cockpit and ignited it jumpjets as Otto came crashing down like a tree. 

As the mech came down, Otto hit his head on his control console. Still strapped into his command couch, the Davion Heavy Guards got him out of his mech in a coma.

Castle Davion

“And the key to any victory is looking for your opponents’ weaknesses,” said Quintus. It was then that he found what he been looking for on his opponent. He pushed with all his might into a wire that was now exposed on Eunice’s arm. It ripped the wire, and the arm stopped as Quintus overloaded the power circuit causing the arm to be motionless and flop about.

And then Quintus smacked the Eunice to the ground with the hilt of his blade or the handle of his cane.

“Eunice Mercedes Graves, true name unknown, possibly working as maid. The nineteenth Loki agent on New Avalon has been taken care of with style. Number twenty is probably with the Third Robinson Rangers. As for the rest, they are either dead or imprisoned thanks to planning, Archon,” reported Quintus Allard from memory.

Katherine was shocked. “How did you know about all of my agents on New Avalon?” said the woman as the Tormano sat down again with Arden sitting back.

Quintus smiled. “I have many friends across the galaxy including some in the Lyran Intelligence Corp, but I do not have much more time for what must be done. There are plans in motion that I’ve become aware of that have forced my hand, and for the survival of what Hanse started, I must do what is necessary to make sure that the Suns at least survives the coming storm.”

Katherine shook her head. “And you could not do that with me as Archon-Princess?”

Quintus smiled turned to a frown. “Katherine, and you are Katherine because I won’t call you by your at least competent grandmother’s name. You are shortsighted. It is only by the twist of fate that you are Archon of the Lyran Alliance and Regent of New Avalon.”

“That is Archon-Princess Katrina Steiner-Davion,” screamed Katherine.

“Besides, there is no such animal as an Archon-Princess. It was always supposed to be Archon-Prince since it comes from the title of First Prince. That is never First-Princess. Even proud Melissa Davion never called herself First Princess, but then again, she’d probably murder you with particle projector bolts from her eyes if you called her First Princess. However, that is your main problem, Katherine. You’ve twisted the truth so much that even history and reality are no longer identical with what you perceive.”

Katherine sneered as Quintus continued. “You scream in the Lyran courts that you are a white clad virgin queen, but all of us know that you’ve slept with several men, and probably you are even now  a love slave- forgive me Hanse and Melissa- of Khan Vlad Ward of Clan Wolf. By that wristband on your arm, you are a slave even now to Clan Wolf.”

Katherine laughed. “And what proof, do you have that this band doesn’t represent the original founders of the Lyran state: Donegal, Skye, and lost . . . Tamar.” Katherine tried to sound truthful saying “lost” Tamar, but it came off as an act.

“Captain Church’s real log on the Jumpship Boadicea is quite clear after you returned to the ship after being taken by the Wovles that you began wearing that bracelet with three cords like some bondsman. And he talks about how there was talk amongst the crew and some of the wolves that you had sexual intercourse with the Khan. Besides the whole ship had been mostly made bondsmen wrote Church, so why not you, Archon?”

Katherine sneered. “And will people believe the lies of a half-mad captain that was placed in an asylum under the advice of a certain Liao adviser of mine?”

“Oh Captain Church isn’t in a Lyran asylum anymore along with a contingency plan of mine. They are both guests at my residence on New Avalon under a private contractor that I can trust. It is good to be owed favors,” chuckled Quintus Allard.

Finally Arden Sortek rose. “Katherine, Quintus had that bracelet analyzed last week without your knowledge. There are three small Clan Wolf symbols on it. You are a terrible liar and . . . a traitor to your father and mother, my dear friends. And by God, I’m glad that neither had to see this day; though in your mother’s case, . . . it’s better to not go there since you probably helped murder her.”

Katherine lashed out at all three men. “You accuse me of being a traitor when Victor loves a damn Drac Princess. He’d bring ruin to both realms of the Federated Commonwealth. Can’t you see that you’d doom the Federated Commonwealth to constant warfare to satisfy my brother’s need to play soldier?”

Quintus chuckled as he walked over to Katherine with his blade still in hand.“And you fail to realize that you are the traitor to your parents and brother. We are merely trying to write your wrongs without the fuse that you have started going off. Besides, we are not unreasonable. You may return to the Lyran Alliance as Archon.”

Katherine looked shocked, but she answered back with malice. “You do realize once back on Tharkad that I’d probably start preparing for war against you.”

“And we’d still have the data that would topple you within a week,” answered calmly back Quintus. “Plus, I need this.”

Quintus then grabbed Katherine’s arm. “What are you doing?” screamed Katherine. Then Quintus took his blade, and he cut the cords on the bracelet.

“You have others, Bondswoman Katherine. Since you think like a slave and you already betrayed your parents, I figure that you have several of these bracelets. Plus, it doesn’t go with all of your lovely dresses that aren’t allowed in the Clans,” shyly answered Quintus. Then he placed the bracelet into a pocket and patted it.

Katherine eyes darted to where the bracelet now rested in the breast pocket of Quintus Allard who slid his blade back into its scabbard making a cane again. Arden Sortek was talking to someone probably at the Fox’s Den where Katherine hoped her last LOKI agent was on his way to rescue her. She deserved the Federated Commonwealth.

And then Katherine faced true defeat as Tormano dragged the body away. It shocked Katherine to see how happy the servants of Castle Davion were to take her servant away. Other servants dragged away the guards on stretchers as new guards arrived. The new guards closed the door.

Arden Sortek finally gave his news with a smirk.“The Third Robinson Rangers have been routed, Quintus. You were right to place Major General Jonathon Davion there after all. Though I wish that you had listened to me about having him backed up from one of the Cadres.”

Quintus nodded. “So Katherine Wolf, will you leave New Avalon as Archon still, or do you want to throw a tantrum that I am sure that will cause your Aunt Nondi to throw one as well?”

For a moment, Katherine considered her position. She might be able to win a war for the whole Federated Commonwealth. There was a possibility that Victor could turn down what Quintus is offering even with the old man’s contingency plan.

And even if Quintus could find another Davion or a relative to take the throne, the people of the Suns who liked her brother wanted that heir to be one of Hanse Davion’s brood. Arthur was too young and slow witted to ever be a good Prince. They’d blow their position on the Suns’ legal requirement for Prince if they used sweet but manipulatable Yvonne. Plus, Katherine doubted that Quintus knew where Peter was when she had yet to do so.

She could still win in the long run even if Quintus believed that she didn’t think that way.

However, she had nothing to work with here on New Avalon if the 10th Deneb Light Cavalry was not even an issue to those three which meant that they already were routed by some force that these traitors had mustered. It was better for now to return to Tharkad where she could prepare for the next Star League conference where she might be able to use the Star League Courts to regain the old Suns from these traitors to restore the true Federated Commonwealth.

She could lose today, but the war could still be won. Katherine imagined the sweet taste of champagne that she’d drink as these three were executed by her order.

“Count Quintus Allard, I will accept whatever terms that you propose.”

Quintus smiled. “Tormano hand me the list.”

Tormano handed a piece of paper on fine linen paper. “It is all there, Count Allard. I did not alter any of the conditions,” smiled Tormano

Quintus smiled as he began to read the list.“In short, Archon Katherine Morgan Steiner-Davion, you agree to the following propositions. The Lyran Alliance Armed Force will return all jumpships and troops traditionally from the Federated Suns unless the units of a vote of 90 percent decide to stay in the Lyran Alliance. The reborn Federated Suns will do the same. There will be no monetary penalties on either side except for the Lyran Alliance who will return all funds that were taken already for Federated Suns’ property.”

Katherine nodded. She’d continue Tormano’s policy of slowly doing so even if there was no money in it now.

“Next, you and any offspring now or in the future will have no claim to the throne of New Avalon for the Federated Suns or Federated Commonwealth ever.”

The Archon nodded again, but at the first opportunity, she’d betray them on that point.

“Next, you shall go as friends to the Federated Suns or Federated Commonwealth.”

Katherine anger rose at this inane point and wished to just get this over. She spoke forcibly trying to grab the document before Quintus could continue on. “Fine, I’ll sign. Just let me go.”

Quintus placed the paper on the table while pulling out a pen. Handing the pen to Katherine, she snatched the pen to scribble her signature on the paper. Snapping his finger, Quintus looked for a second and then whispered in her ear. “Don’t worry, it won’t explode.”

Katherine didn’t think it was funny: a sour expression formed on her face. And then she heard the door open. “Oh, did I forget to mention that we have some photographers and reporters all ready to go as well. Well, I’d smile Archon.”

So standing there humiliated in her night gown with her hair a bit frizzled, Katherine tried to smile as possibly all the reporters and photographers in Avalon City stood at the door screaming questions. All Katherine could think is that she really hated Allards. She really hated them, and she hoped all of them would be extinct within the next year.

Arden Sortek in the uniform of Prince’s Champion stepped forward. The man spoke with ease even though Katherine knew he loathed the reporters and the game of politics all together. Why her father had loved the man like a brother? That had eluded Katherine her whole life. “Thank you, ladies and gentlemen of the press. I’d like to thank Archon Katherine for bringing me back as  Champion and Regent until the Archon-Prince returns from the Clan Wars. But first before I give some remarks, I’d like to give a hand to Archon Katherine Morgan Steiner-Davion”

Arden stressed every syllable of Davion. Tormano held his hand on her shoulder as he whispered something simple. “It would have been easier for you to have just supported my sister, Archon. Liaos don’t suffer slights.”

Nor does Katrina Steiner-Davion, thought Katherine. For now, she’d smile and try not to look like a lazy teenage girl after a long sleep over.

Stormcrow

• Major
  • Art by Shimmering Sword
« Reply #18 on: 05 February 2013, 01:26:04 »
The BT Universe would have been better served had Quintus killed Katheirine with the maid's blade. That way it looks like an assassinantion by rogue elements within LOKI or LIC.
Commandant Otto Maurus, ARWH-1Z ArcHammer, Maurus' Minutemen
Captain Obadiah Sykes, OSR-5FCR Ostroc, Second Filtvelt Citizens Militia

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. - Confucius
Noli Timure Messorem
May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. - Voltaire
Wielder of the Ferro-Carbide Bat of DOOM™

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 05 February 2013, 02:10:30 »
I agree, death by Loki would have been so much better. >:D
Growing up is optional.

Ajax_Wolf

• Lieutenant
  • Krampus is the reason for the Christmas season.
« Reply #20 on: 05 February 2013, 08:14:05 »
I agree, death by Loki would have been so much better. >:D

There is still one out and about.
Why does everyone "Fire at Will"? Is he really that bad of a person? And what did he do to make everyone want to shoot him?

If a group of necrophiliacs met a group of zombies, who would do the chasing?

Bacon is Life! Even vegaterians eat bacon.

Headshot

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #21 on: 05 February 2013, 11:46:10 »
Read between the lines. Loki agent number 20 was that Berserker pilot, me thinks...

Lord Harlock

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 05 February 2013, 12:38:09 »
Otto Klein is the 20th Loki Agent which all Quintus knew was that he was in Third Robinson Rangers.

gladius

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #23 on: 06 February 2013, 02:05:45 »
Nice move referencing the bondscord as what it is: a slave marker. She's Vlad's property, even though she probably doesn't see it that way.

Headshot

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #24 on: 06 February 2013, 12:33:58 »
Seeing the world her way (and then making others see it too) always was Katies greatest talent...

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 06 February 2013, 13:10:45 »
nice update

Lord Harlock

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: 06 March 2013, 22:20:40 »
[Okay, I basically rewrote this part several times, and then I threw out that version of the chapter. The current version finally adds a bit of action.]

Chapter IV: Return

Office of James Ito
Fortress Loudon, Fort Loudon
Donegal Province, Lyran Alliance
April 15, 3061

Marshall Alberta Orsina stood outside the doors to the other high ranking officer on Fort Loudon. After knocking on his door, she just wished that she could leave right there. The Marshall once visited the ancient Star League Castle Brian known as Fortress Loudon more often, but after several incidents, Alberta had preferred leading her troops on raids than being here with Leutnant-General Ito or as some of her more pro-Suns troops like to say, that traitor.

“Come in,” said the Asiatic man on the other side of the door.

Alberta with her raven straight black hair starting to gray opened the door. She had decided to wear her Armed Forces of the Federated Commonwealth uniform as oppose to the Davion Green uniform that her troops and she had started to wear. She even found her Albion rag which she had been using for a hand towel.

“Ah Leutnant-General Orsina,” offered James Ito even though Orsina was wearing Armed Forces of the Federated Suns rank pins. “It’s nice to see you again. What are these rumors that the Fourth Guards are readying to leave? Are you going on another raid or just leaving?”

Alberta smiled even though she wanted to smack the man for forgetting to put the Davion in her elite regimental combat team’s name. Sitting down, she quipped Ito. “What tipped you off? The fact that I’m loading every piece of Fourth D-a-v-i-o-n Guard equipment is a pretty big one. The fact that I have my jumpships sitting at jumpoint could be it, or the fact that I already sent you several memos on the fact that the Fourth Davion Guard already voted nearly unanimously to go back to the reborn Suns.”

Ito’s eyes had rage in them. Under the rules that came from Katherine Steiner-Davion abdicating the regency on New Avalon, units associated with the original Armed Forces of the Federated Suns could return home if the unit had a simple majority. The memo that was sitting before Ito even said that the Fourth had voted at roughly eighty percent to return to the Suns.

“You realize that the Clans could make a strike on Fort Loudon at any moment,” dryly said Ito. 

Alberta rolled her eyes. “So why are you worried? You already said in several reports to Thakard that if my Dragonslayers were gone that you could adequately defend Fort Loudon with your Fifth Lyran Alliance Guards and the Knights of St. Cameron. Since the rebirth of the Federated Suns, the Fourth Davion Guards have followed protocol to the letter, and with anything that I could do to help expedite our return via Comstar messages, I finally have full approval of General Nondi Steiner down to that janitor Otto Piffle who works in the mess near the mech hangars to go back to the Federated Suns.”

James Ito still did not change his expression of disappointment. “You know that you are still under the command of the Lyran Alliance until you leave Fort Loudon, right General?”

Alberta laughed. “Nope, I am a Marshall. And honestly, I’m tired of you and the entire LAAF treating my unit like scum, James. We both went to Albion, and you almost treat it like dishonor. Instead of raiding the Clanners, you sit here in this Fortress basically planning defense drills. Then again when the LAAF High Command decided that I should not receive replacement parts and replacement machines like regular units, is it any wonder that the Second Crucis Lancers and my units are ready to join the Seventh Crucis Lancers in leaving?”

Ito shook his head. “You should have kept your mouth shut, Alberta.”

“I do what I’m free to do,” said Alberta. “Besides, the only reason that I came by is to inform you that we are leaving behind about a battalion of equipment and personnel that we can’t carry with us along with most of the Lyran recruits that LAAF has been sending me.”

For a moment, James Ito seemed shocked. Then finally after hitting himself in the chest once or twice, he spoke. “I can’t believe you’d leave anything behind.”

“I really don’t have a choice. I don’t have enough dropships to take everything, and I figure that the people that you deserve to receive these things as oppose to going into the odd logistics of LAAF.”

Ito’s cold eyes studied Alberta. “There is another reason, Orisana. It’s in your face.”

Chuckling Alberta revealed a big grin. “Am I that obviously?”

Ito nodded.

“Fine, it’s mostly piss poor equipment that the Lyran Command actually set me. It’s mostly Quickscell vehicles, and some mechs that would be hard to get repair parts in the Suns.”

James thought for a moment. “That’s more acceptable,” said Ito finally.

Near the former capital of Newhaven
Rockmeir, Dalkeith
April 15, 3061

If there was one truth is that you had to be mad to want to fight on Dalkeith. The Draconis Combine had seen to that by unleashing a dozen one hundred megaton tipped warheads during the darker days of the First Succession War. It had left the primary continent and most of the planet a radioactive wasteland. However, there were still valuable minerals here, so the Lyrans continued to mine these valuable minerals. It probably was also the worst place for a pick up ever, but when you are on the run, you take what you can get.

Colonel Andrew Terlecki III shook from the last blast of his former comrade’s alpha strike. The command coach still felt wrong since he was sitting in a Valkyrie that a friend had piloted until a week ago when a crack formed in the cockpit. The poor devil hadn’t lasted two hours after exposure to the radioactive and deadly atmosphere.

Andrew had decided at all costs to not let the cockpit of the mech get ruptured again, but at the moment, his former commander, Leutenant-General Fran Vidal was leading a group of mechs, battlearmor, and inclosed vehicles to try and stop the other half of the 4th Deneb Light Cavalry from escaping Dalikeith.

“How did it get to this?” questioned Andrew as he released a switch. The mech fired off its long range missiles, but it was mostly to cause delays more than direct attack. When it was announced that all former AFFS units would be able to vote if they wished to return home, the 4th Deneb had voted in the majority to return home. Then somehow, Andrew’s aide, Gareth Evers, claimed that Andrew had rigged the vote, and the Lyran members of the units turned on their former comrades. The only bright spot at the moment was the aerospace brigade had been part of the unit that had joined his group to return to the Suns.

“By the Unfinished Book, I wish that the 2193 Royal Attack would get here already,” screamed grizzled old Major Sergeant Upton Atkins. The man had been with the unit since the 4th Succession War, and he was hard as rock. His Stealth seemed to hold the line all by himself.

“Delay them only,” ordered Andrew again to Atkins. Some of the lasers had gotten a bit close for Andrew’s tastes. All Andrew Terlecki needed was enough time for the dropships that had contacted them and were already loading most of the rest of the unit to give the signal for the final boarding.

That and they needed the distraction. Andrew nearly cried for joy as his sensors beeped to indicate the 2193 Royal Attack was coming in for their bombing run. Every aerospace fighter was carrying as many bombs as they could carry. “Pull back,” screamed the Colonel.

All the remaining mechs went into full stride as suddenly a wall of fire was created by the bombs that Terlecki had ordered dropped. It created the wall of fire which would hold his former commander General Vidal back, but for now, he just ran.

And by God, he hoped that he hadn’t hurt other Cavalrymen. That was not the way of the 4th Deneb Light Cavalry.

Yulio, Fort Loudon

Alberta had traded her AFFC uniform for Davion greens. She hated the fact that her AFFC uniform felt tighter in the middle to her. Hopefully, it was just nerves. She’d hate to be going soft.

“So did Ito buy the reason that we are unloading an battalion of equipment and men to him?” asked Major-General Robert Davion-Zibler, the commander of the mech regiment. He had the typical Davion red hair despite his Zibler blood.

“Yeah, and I appreciate you finishing up getting the rest of the unit ready to go,” said Alberta Orisina. She watched with glee as the last of mechs that had been captured from Clan Wolf were being loaded into an Overlord dropship called the Camelot.

As a recently “liberated” Mad Cat walked past the two on the way to the Overlord, Alberta knew that it was good to speak what she was feeling. “I don’t know about this new DMI. Leaving behind troops to harass Ito if someone rises up against Archon Kitty Kat.”

Robert Davion-Zibler merely smiled even as a more humanoid Orion IIc soon followed the Mad Cat. “Trust me the Old Man knows what he is doing.”

Free Trader Jumpship The World is Not Enough
Pirate Point, Dalkeith
April 17, 3061

“Mr. Drax, get Colonel Andrew Terlecki some water. He looks absolutely exhausted. Most likely from spending too much time on that irradiated ball,” said the aging rust haired captain of the Star Lord Jumpship, The World is Not Enough. In the office of the tall captain on the gravity deck of the jumpship, the various paintings and priceless objects stayed in place thanks to created gravity due to the rotating floor. The room had various trinkets and paintings of women on its walls as well. All together it created an atmosphere of a palace in space.

The captain smiled as the door shut as Drax left bringing Terlecki back to his full attention.“Good man, Drax. He knows his place.” The captain nearly shook his neck. “Oh yes, what poor manners, I’m Moore, James Moore.”

Sitting in his only clean uniform, Andrew Terlecki couldn’t believe the man who had rescued his unit. He had an accent that came off as Avalonian oddly for this region of space. And for the life of him, he’d think that Moore was old Suns’ Department of Military Intelligence or something from some of the uniforms of him in paintings.

“And I am Colonel Terlecki, but you already knew that Captain Moore,” said the ad hoc commander of the 4th Deneb Light Cavalry.

“Indeed,” offered Moore. “An old friend asked me to be in the area, Colonel. He figured that some former AFFS units might need a ride back to the Suns. He did not expect the 4th Light Cavalry to be fighting amongst itself though.”

Chuckling James Moore looked at Andrew Terlecki who had formed a dour look on his face. “It’s a good thing that I brought those merchant dropships along with my personal Overlord. I’m sure that my old friend will pay them a wonderful bonus once we reach the Suns. Though it is a good thing that your fighters were able to get their carrier dropship as well though the sacrifice that a third of your pilots made to ward off that Lyran independent naval squadron was horrid. ”

Before docking, the dropships were fired on by a Lyran space fighter wing that called the unit pirates. Even now, the remnants of the 644th Independent was scrambling to link up with the jumpship.

“Whom did you work for back in the day to afford a personal Star Lord?”

Moore chuckled. “Oh you know, the Suns government and Interstellar Exports. It was not exact the life of glamour or excitement that they talk about in trivids, but every once and awhile, you did see an exotic girl or two. Plus, you sometimes did work that saved the Suns as a whole.”

That confirmed Terlecki’s suspicion. Interstellar Exports was one of the cover companies for the extraterritorial intelligence agency for the Federated Suns. “You worked for DMI,” said Andrew pointing at Moore.

Smiling Moore chuckled. “Well you know, the Department of Military Intelligence just came back into vague, but it’ll never be as efficient as it once was.  Honestly, it was bloody awful day when the Federated Commonwealth Intelligence Secretariate was established. Bloated and overstaffed, the place never did have the ability to find a Liao standing on the streets of Zi-Jin Cheng without thirteen analysts confirming it on both New Avalon and Thakard.”

Moore continued. “Thus some of us who didn’t want to close up shop for Interstellar Exports created a legitimate version of the company. And I eventually retired a rather wealthy man who could spend his leisure years getting away from some of the seeds he planted on the Prince’s Pince. Though this isn’t my first personal jumpship. The Moonraker was a good girl, but my old friend from the civilian agency and I went on a bit of an adventure last decade.”

Sighing, James Moore looked at a picture of another jumpship. “She was a good girl, but the adventure required a bit of sacrifice. And I never was good with bringing things back in one piece, or that’s what my quartermaster use to say when I finished missions.”

“Where did you lose that jumpship? You just don’t lose a jumpship like that without someone getting wind of it,” said Trelecki with shock on his face.

James Moore didn’t look at Andrew at first to answer the black-haired man. “That’s classified. And will remain so, Colonel. But my old friend did help in getting me this Star Lord fresh from Kathil at a discount. No doubt, he had to sell a bit more of his business holdings back to the Cuminghams to do so. Then again since his wife died, he really doesn’t have much use for property or wealth.”

Trelecki laid his large avian nose in hand. “So how did you know to help me and my unit?”

“About two weeks ago, I heard from Grand Duke Morgan Kell through some of his contacts that the Archon was angry about some of  votes for old AFFS units. She could live with the 8th Deneb Light Cavalry joining the Skye Rangers, or the broken 7th Crucis Lancers giving her the finger since her LAAF just sent most of that RCT to die in the Periphery. She’ll ignore this new problem in the periphery due to her short sightedness.”

Moore got deadly stern. “However after the 39th Avalon Hussars and the Argyle Lancers swore loyalty Grand Duke Morgan Kell specifically to create the Ark Royal Cavalry; she was furious. Though she will let 2nd Robinson Rangers, 4th Crucis Lancers, and 4th Davion Guards go, Katherine wanted to make an example of the 4th Deneb Light Cavalry that you’d stay and pledge loyalty to her specifically. Thus, your aide, Evers, was told to accuse you after the vote if it went badly for Lyran interests by most likely a member of LOKI: her psych people at Lyran Intelligence believed you would back down after being accused. Then again, the Lyrans never understood the Deneb Light Cavalry or McDennis’ legacy.”

The whole Deneb Light Cavalry was created from a unit from the original Star League Defense Force that hadn’t followed Kerensky into exile. The Fourth was directly descended from that original rapid deployment mixed armed force unit that stayed behind on Deneb Kaitos. And it had always had a reputation for doing what is right.

Andrew Terlecki sadly looked down. “And it would have worked as well if that fist fight hadn’t broken out that turned into the week of hell.”

Moore nodded. “I tried to get here quicker, but finding additional dropship proved problematic. But we eventually found some loyal captains who could be trusted.”

There was knocks on the door of the cabin, and the short and stout Hudson Drax brought two bottles of water. “Sir, the last of the 4th Deneb Light Cavalry fighters have docked,” said the man.

“Good, Drax. Tell Zorin to use the battery to charge the jump drive to get to our next destination. It isn’t a particular nice place, but it’s empty. Plus, its primary is a quick charge, so we will be on schedule. Then we can go to a recharge station near Northwind, and by the 20th of May, we should be back in Suns’ territory.”

Andrew had fought for the Federated Commonwealth his whole life, but it felt right after that week to just go home to the Federated Suns.

“Cheers,” said Moore holding his bottle of water.  Smiling, Andrew joined the toast because he knew the Legacy of Eveline McDennis would go own.

Near a Citadel
Mars, Word of Blake Protectorate
April 19, 3061

Demi-Precentor Arnold Lambert wore orange robes as he entered the citadel’s air lock chamber to make his report. Though there would be many more before he would see the man that his people gave the title, Master.

As he removed his rebreather from his mouth as the chamber pressurized, it still angered him how the world that his people had called their primary home for more than two hundred years was deteriorating worse than ever. “The Master had promised us that he’d help to stabilize this all,” he lamented. 

“Ah if it isn’t the frail, Lambert,” said a self-satisfied voice.

There was no other way to describe it when the Master of Jardine spoke to someone other than he was satisfied. Then again, he was more machine than man. On the accent, Lambert hated it.

Lambert tried to pass the so-called “Hand of the Master,” but he knew that there was no way that could pass without a confrontation with the creature. A metallic hand landed on Lambert’s shoulder.

“No words of peace to a brother in Blake,” said the cyborg.

Lambert turned toward the cyborg’s right eye to avoid laughing at his huge nose. “Peace of Blake be with you, Precentor Apollyon. Now let me go report to the Master,” said a bit disturbed Lambert.

The cyborg in his always pristine red robes moved aside to let Lambert pass. “And may you be blessed by the wisdom of Blake as well, Demi-Precentor Lambert.”

Lambert walked past Apollyon to a room where he was ushered in by guards to another room where there sat another cyborg who Lambert’s people had given their loyalty to. “Master, my forces have discovered the Scout Jumpship finally after three years of search that was part of the two who discovered Jardine.”

“Where was it discovered,” offered the Free World accented speaker.

“It was discovered in the Draconis Combine’s New Samarkand Prefecture. The current owner of the jumpship even told me that it was sold below market rate by men who he described as from the Federated Suns.”

The Master was not quick to anger except when hearing about the accursed state ruled by the Davions especially after the plans for the Federated Commonwealth Civil War had collapsed thanks to one of the Devil’s minions. The Master’s metallic arm pounded the side of his chair. And then his mechanical eye looked at Lambert.

“It appears that we now know how our plans for the Steiner-Davions were undermined. Apollyon was too naive to believe that any leaks were taken care of with the sacrifice of the Taus that he sent against the first jumpship. No doubt, some of the men who lead this so-called ‘Avalon Rebellion’ have information from that second jumpship that Tau-69 transmitted on before she went totally offline.”

Lambert did not speak he merely knelled.

“Lambert, you will attempt to restore our plans. Devastation of the Federated Suns and Lyran Alliance is paramount to the Third Transfer.” 

Lifting his head, Lambert looked at the Master. “It shall be done, Master, but we might have to rethink our plans with this reborn, Federated Suns. Precentor Rom Kernoff already has confirmed that ROM has lost forty percent of our deep cover agents in the Suns to the conspiracy on New Avalon. The others seem to be giving contradictory information. In other words, it seems that Quintus Allard intends to achieve success as oppose to his previous failure against ROM.”

The Master nodded. “Sadly, the Precentor Rom of the time, Focht, believed the reports that Allard had Alzheimer.” The Master snidely added. “But then again, Frederick was always too soft to do what was necessary.”

The black lensed  right eye of the Master stared directly at Lambert. “You will not fail me in this regard, Demi-Precentor Lambert?”

“No Master by the blood in my veins; Quintus Allard will pay for delaying the Will of Blake.”
« Last Edit: 07 March 2013, 15:17:47 by Lord Harlock »

Hellfire

• Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: 07 March 2013, 01:17:40 »
I would suggest removing the reference to the specific number of nuclear warheads used.

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: 07 March 2013, 02:16:04 »
Leaving troops from the 4th to help a rebellion, interesting.
I wonder what other hickups you have planned for the Master. O0
Growing up is optional.

Lord Harlock

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: 07 March 2013, 10:56:58 »
I would suggest removing the reference to the specific number of nuclear warheads used.

Yeah, I went and checked my FedCom Civil War Sourcebook which is where I got the reference to the number, and I had jumbled it around in my memory. So I appreciate the note since it was actually only a dozen hundred megaton warheads.