Author Topic: How do y'all play the climbing rule?  (Read 1720 times)

HikageMaru

• Captain
  • The Capellans are not evil.
How do y'all play the climbing rule?
« on: 25 June 2011, 12:22:22 »
I posted this in rules, but I reckon that forums a little backlogged or something, so I'd like to know how y'all play the climbing rule.

P. 22 of TO describes climbing.  There appears to be an ambiguity in the PSR needed to climb.  It says: "Apply a +2 modifier, in addition to the standard +1, if the 'Mech has only one undamaged hand."  What is it talking about when it says "standard +1"?  Where is a standard PSR explained for climbing?  Nevertheless, that standard would appear to be a +1 to climb with two hands, so I presume it requires a +3 PSR to climb with one hand.

It later says "Apply a +1 modifier to any Piloting Skill Rolls the unit must make while climbing.  If the unit has only one undamaged hand actuator, apply a +2 modifier."  I presume this refers to PSR other than for climbing, such as taking more that 20 points of damage; is that how y'all read it?

Finally, I don't see where TO explains how much heat does climbing generate?  I know you use walking movement, but the way I reckon it, climbing would be a somewhat more heat-intensive then, say, taking a stroll or standing up (which costs 1 heat), maybe not.

There has been so much improvement in the clarity of the rules for the most recent iteration of BT, but I've seen several things in TO that I think needs errata.  But it's not a bad thing, though---I have friends who say arguing about Battletech rules is probably what encouraged them to go to law school.

Register