Author Topic: New mech types? Fan discussion  (Read 1802 times)

Greatclub

• Captain
Re: New mech types? Fan discussion
« Reply #30 on: 01 April 2024, 23:56:33 »
Goliath C is an actual thing. See recguide 1

and in general quads with turrets are an entire different species than OG rules quads.
« Last Edit: 02 April 2024, 00:28:32 by Greatclub »

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #31 on: 02 April 2024, 01:19:58 »
I don't think we will be getting QuadVee versions of Scorpion and Goliath,  those two are way too bulky plus RecGuides already hinted that they are due for Omni treatment

The Goliath is too big, but there are QuadVees heavier than the Scorpion.

I believe that current Design rules limit QuadVees to under the Assault weight (or just barely in the Assault weight class).

Still, that's getting in to Fan Design territory.

Would like to see models of more current QuadVees than the Arion, though.

honestly, I doubt it, the main value of tanks over mechs is cost. quadvees kinda eliminiate that.

True, however, they are more survivable than tanks, and have some fun shenanigans they can pull, as well as being more easily transportable, with the lighter ones able to use Light Vehicle Bays.

And I wouldn't limit them to just Davion and Steiner.  There isn't a House, Great or Periphery, that wouldn't like to try them out.  The capacity to develop them is a different story.  Most of the ones that are capable, just aren't close enough or have any experience with them.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #32 on: 02 April 2024, 15:49:43 »
but what if there was a Nitch where specific units were designed for environmental conditions barely outside Goldie Locks zones? Say low gravity? Low gravity (and higher gravity) tends to be punishing to some mechs (Solaris 7, for example, is very unforgiving for fast moving Lights, at a certain speed). An assault 'mech or Colossus-class Bipedal, Tripod or Quad would feel less imcumbering on a low G world, IF It wasn't pushing the envelope in the first place, yes? (or No(tm).

thoughts?

What would they be guarding there though, to justify using mechs? 

It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #33 on: 02 April 2024, 18:55:10 »
What would they be guarding there though, to justify using mechs?

And more importantly, to justify the use of such highly specialized mechs?  There are already mechs with variants that are specially configured for use in low G or zero G conditions.  If a mech was really necessary someone could just use one of them rather than going to the expense of designing a whole new chassis.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #34 on: 02 April 2024, 22:06:01 »
QuadVees can weigh up to 100 tons.

IO:AE pg 128
Weight Limits
QuadVees may only be constructed within the weight limits
of standard BattleMechs. They cannot be constructed as superheavy ’Mechs

A 200 ton QuadVee would be interesting though.

CJC070

• Lieutenant
« Reply #35 on: 02 April 2024, 22:51:56 »

Weight Limits

Thanks for the clarification.  According to sarna.net the heaviest was 75 tons so I assumed there was a rule against having Quadvee Assaults.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #36 on: 02 April 2024, 23:49:03 »
No, there's just only a handful of quadvees that have been released.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #37 on: 03 April 2024, 00:35:29 »

Weight Limits

Hunh, interesting.  I thought I read in FM:3145 that it was much lighter.  It's been a while, though.  Though, there should be a weight limit for the wheel-based ones (which may be what I was reading), since Wheeled Vehicles have a lighter upper limit without going Super-Heavy themselves.
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
« Reply #38 on: 03 April 2024, 05:04:52 »
No, there's just only a handful of quadvees that have been released.
Sadly, only the one mini though.  :cry:

Weight Limits

If by Interesting you mean TERRIFYING!!   :evil:
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #39 on: 03 April 2024, 09:46:27 »
Would it really be that terrifying?  Quadvees are already quite crit-intensive, even with the superheavy effectively doubling their slots, and they suffer from extreme lack of mobility.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #40 on: 03 April 2024, 11:03:49 »
The Hurbie Quadveesheet I made up to match the mini is entirely critpacked but actually has decent speed, on roads with the +1 on pavement with wheels bonus.  Something like 3(4)/5(6)

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #41 on: 03 April 2024, 11:12:10 »
Mechs (Battle and Omnis) with four arms.
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Fire Scorpion IIC

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #42 on: 03 April 2024, 12:40:32 »

Rattler QuadVee

Wanna get nuts? Let's get nuts!!!

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #43 on: 03 April 2024, 12:51:56 »
Mechs (Battle and Omnis) with four arms.

Prince Gorog would like a word.
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #44 on: 03 April 2024, 13:11:26 »
Rattler QuadVee

Why am I getting C&C4 vibes?...

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #45 on: 06 April 2024, 23:58:42 »
Thanks for the clarification.  According to sarna.net the heaviest was 75 tons so I assumed there was a rule against having Quadvee Assaults.

You're welcome.

Hunh, interesting.  I thought I read in FM:3145 that it was much lighter.  It's been a while, though.  Though, there should be a weight limit for the wheel-based ones (which may be what I was reading), since Wheeled Vehicles have a lighter upper limit without going Super-Heavy themselves.

Maybe? I don't remember. I was looking in Interstellar Ops. It doesn't give a weight limit for wheeled QuadVees either. Just the 100 ton limit. Maybe that's why wheels weigh more?

:evil:

Rattler QuadVee

:evil: :drinking01:

Garagegamer

• Recruit
« Reply #46 on: 08 April 2024, 08:59:08 »
I want to Punt on first down on this idea... but i can't. Give me a moment here...

Most of the worlds that holds a sizable human population are worlds that ride the Goldie Locks zone (Good enough air% and air pressure, close enough gravity, good enough to tolerable temperature, etc.) and most equipment (in the game) is designed for those near-earth like conditions...

but what if there was a Nitch where specific units were designed for environmental conditions barely outside Goldie Locks zones? Say low gravity? Low gravity (and higher gravity) tends to be punishing to some mechs (Solaris 7, for example, is very unforgiving for fast moving Lights, at a certain speed). An assault 'mech or Colossus-class Bipedal, Tripod or Quad would feel less imcumbering on a low G world, IF It wasn't pushing the envelope in the first place, yes? (or No(tm).

thoughts?

Variants of these mechs already exists. It's just you gotta search for them. They are called zero G mechs and they usually are weaker than other variants.

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #47 on: 08 April 2024, 18:01:19 »
The faction I can think of with the most divergent "home" environment might be the Belters of the Sol system. However, they are already renowned for their aerospace capabilities, not so much for the use of "ground" units.

Still, I could picture the ilClan offering to provide supplies of low-gravity Elemental variants - along with the HarJel needed to make the most of such battlesuit types - in exchange for the Belters' support of, say... a new SLDF Regular Army. or rather, to serve as aerospace pilots in support of these regiments.

Well, it is possible that the Republic had already made low-gravity battlesuits available to the Belters. But unless Clan Sea Fox was willing to export HarJel for use in the RAF, such suits might not be quite as effective in the Belters' home environments as those a Sea Fox-backed ilClan can now offer.
« Last Edit: 08 April 2024, 18:07:32 by Nerroth »

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #48 on: 08 April 2024, 19:10:28 »
I can see specialized mechs for one off scenarios for fun. A low grave Super Heavy on a moon map would be a fun boss like encounter. Quad mechs modified for a beach landing as those four legged machines would be less likely to get stuck in the muck as they crawled onto the beach (wait, aquatic Great Turtle design! ) Ultra Light designed for anti infantry work inside the a underground complex (more survivable than BA alone anyway) Those designs would only really thrive in that one scenario but it would make the scenario itself more memorable. I modified the Necromo Nightmare scenario to feature primarily the Drone Battlemechs, gave it more of a Terminator feel with the city streets covered with dead bodies as the drones just stomping on the dead as they targeted anything still moving (namely the other players) While the drones themselves where not that remarkable, the set up and the setting made them a more memorable.     
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Garagegamer

• Recruit
« Reply #49 on: 09 April 2024, 18:44:36 »
The Thunder Fox ngl is pretty sweet. Imagine a marauder with four legs.

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #50 on: 09 April 2024, 21:04:59 »
Variants of these mechs already exists. It's just you gotta search for them. They are called zero G mechs and they usually are weaker than other variants.

*nods* Those 'mechs are specific to Zero-G (as if they were deployed on the hulls of Snow Raven or Sea Fox warships)?
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #51 on: 09 April 2024, 22:55:25 »
*nods* Those 'mechs are specific to Zero-G (as if they were deployed on the hulls of Snow Raven or Sea Fox warships)?

More likely on the hulls of space stations, or on airless mining colonies.

Garagegamer

• Recruit
« Reply #52 on: 16 April 2024, 21:52:50 »
I heard they are gonna release the fox mercs and the celestials!

Aresneo

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #53 on: 17 April 2024, 10:53:21 »
We'll have four of them. I can recall at least 16 quad mechs right off the bat, not to mention the quad vehicles.
4 plastic quads means that 11% of all canon quad mechs are out in plastic. Which looked like a decent number at first, then I checked and if the current release plan holds we will be at ~36% of all mechs having been released in plastic at the end of the public schedule. We will also be at 67% of all tripods available in plastic (assuming the Ares pack does the listed variants by having swappable arms). Clearly we need 2 force packs of nothing but quads to get the ratio in line with all other mechs.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #54 on: 17 April 2024, 11:01:32 »
That was just a bot that had copy-pasted a comment I'd made two weeks ago to insert a link to a suspicious website.