Poll

In a choice of Counters vs. Minis, how likely would you use counters?

Never! Minis only!
50 (23%)
Rarely. I would only use counters as the last resort (after I run out of minis).
67 (30.9%)
Occasionally. I'll play with whatever's on hand to get the numbers I need.
56 (25.8%)
A lot. Sorry, but I just can't afford a big minis collection.
37 (17.1%)
All the time. Who has shelf space for minis?
7 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 217

Voting closed: 01 September 2013, 12:44:43

Author Topic: July-August 2013 Poll: Counters, Minis, or Both?  (Read 27769 times)

BloodReaper

• Private
Re: July-August 2013 Poll: Counters, Minis, or Both?
« Reply #30 on: 25 July 2013, 14:36:42 »
my group uses megamek counters, printed on 1" hex paper, and we use custom hex maps.  its cheap, easy, looks good, and costs are minimal.  i dont like the standees.

we have also stuck them on magnets, and played out huge multi-weekend regiment sized battles on the wall, without worrying about cats.

i do think it would be neat to have a small cardboard box with front, right, left, back, top, and bottom views of units though, and could mount magnets to them inside the box as well.

fuzbuckle

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
« Reply #31 on: 25 July 2013, 17:35:05 »
I don't like to proxy, so I will use counters in place of minis if necessary.  That said, if catalyst put out counter packs that were the quality of Pathfinder's pawns boxes, I would most certainly use those. (High quality, no painting, great artwork).
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain!

Highball

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #32 on: 25 July 2013, 19:20:45 »
Both
Marshal Russell Trest Oberlan. "War to the sword ..... the sword to the hilt!"

WONC

• Warrant Officer
  • Don't Stop Believin'
« Reply #33 on: 25 July 2013, 23:23:50 »
I own exactly two minis (the plastic Summoner from a little while back; wish I'd managed to also pick up the Hellbringer), so I use custom made counters and the 4th edition's cardboard cutouts when I play. They work wonderfully for me and my buddies, when we actually get a chance to play in person.

I'd like to get more minis, as much for the aesthetic quality as gaming purposes, but I'm not wonderfully solvent when it comes to my gaming fund. Aside from that, my mini putting-together talent is... unique. I am excited about the idea of more plastic minis, though. They seem to be a bit more "WONC-proof" than the metal ones, if you know what I mean.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

"Being tactful in audacity is knowing how far one can go too far."
Jean Cocteau

The Once & Future WiseOldNovaCat

Raj Whitehall

• Corporal
« Reply #34 on: 27 July 2013, 07:16:23 »
Mini's only.  Luckily my gaming group at the time had more than enough mini's to cover all scenario's.  And for our style of play. where line of sight counted a great deal, the mini was the only option.

FedComGirl

• Major
« Reply #35 on: 28 July 2013, 23:52:04 »
I'd use counters all the time. I usually mixed counters and minis when I played. I didn't like proxying as I'd forget what it was. It'd be so great if there were counters for all the units. I loved the Reinforcements Pack. I wish I'd gotten more.

Minis are great and look better on terrain but I still used counters. If there were counters for everything available I'd use them more than minis. They're be easier to transport and I just can't afford minis at this time.  Outside the introductory box I haven't gotten any minis since FASA and RalPartha. I'd love to but I can't right now. Most of my fun money goes to books (print and/or PDF). But I'd certainly find money for counters.

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #36 on: 29 July 2013, 07:41:12 »
...I had to choose all "I can't afford a large mini collection."

Nor could I afford the space.  I've played for over 30 years, and not needing more than a couple store-bought map sheets, some scraps of paper for counters, and some 10-cent photocopies of RS are a major reason why I'm able to say I still play the game.

Still, I had to change to MegaMek recently after my gaming partner graduated university, and I miss the (Thunk), (Thunk), (Thunk), of figurines moving across the board.  Really, really miss it.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

mike19k

• Lieutenant
« Reply #37 on: 29 July 2013, 12:23:38 »
I said "Rarely. I would only use counters as the last resort (after I run out of minis)." but that is only because I have hundreds of minis, as I have been collecting for almost 30 years now, when I started I used the counters a lot, and I have no issue with them at all.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #38 on: 29 July 2013, 17:11:42 »
I am one those "Minis only" folks, only because i was able get my collection together before Ironwind Metals had to raise their prices.  However, I know many who aren't.  I won't be against seeing people use the old folding paper silhouette  pictures as counters to save people money and frankly make the game attractive.

Many of my newer Battletech friends don't own but few miniatures, many use laminated counters with tiny pictures of unit with its name on it.  Cheapest way to get them now. Since harder to order Iron Winds through FLGS these days.   
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 29 July 2013, 19:56:14 »
I've got no problems with the so-called "Cardstock Commies".

I'm no WYSIWYG whore as I have no problem with proxies, but I'd sooner see a paper standup showing the correct mech on it than some other mech mini proxied over.

The only exception would be if someone brought a beautifully painted mini.  Those are worthy proxies.. but other than that, I think the Cardstock standups look better.

Snake Eyes

• Lieutenant
  • I am here to keep the peace
« Reply #40 on: 30 July 2013, 18:48:41 »
I will use what i have, i would rather have minis, but counters work in a pinch O0

caioaf

• Sergeant
« Reply #41 on: 30 July 2013, 19:08:43 »
Counters only. Besides my MWDA Centurion I never even saw a Battletech mini. Being a BT fan outside USA is kind of hard, you know?

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #42 on: 30 July 2013, 19:53:29 »
Do you guys even make counters?

I mostly use minis since it looks better (my group also plays on hexed terrain), but wouldn't be adverse to counters on the flat maps.
Cardboard certainly is easier to transport; it's lighter and takes up less space.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #43 on: 31 July 2013, 12:38:32 »
I much prefer to use mini's if I have them, but will use counters, so long as the opposing player isn't confused.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #44 on: 01 August 2013, 02:59:17 »
PLASTECH!!!!!!!

EDIT:  It's the middle ground.  I use the good minis for the player characters.
« Last Edit: 01 August 2013, 03:06:35 by Fear Factory »
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

RebelRunner

« Reply #45 on: 01 August 2013, 19:17:03 »
Minis only. I sculpt my own (polymer clay) for now, but will probably buy some Regulan militiamen and Wobbies for them to face off against, in a month or three.

dirty harry

• Lieutenant
  • Make my day
« Reply #46 on: 04 August 2013, 11:57:58 »
Our gaming group has accumulated enough minis to play out several regiments, so normally there should be no reason for counters.
If it is one of the new fancy designs from one of the recent TROs, that don't have a mini ready, proxying is no problem.
So when do i need cardboard counters? Extreme rare occassion, mostly AT material. So if i would really need a cardboard counter, i would use it, but there are not very much situations that would force that upon us.

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #47 on: 05 August 2013, 03:18:14 »
Mini's only.
I am lucky that there are some big collectors that i know, plus i have been collecting a few.
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #48 on: 05 August 2013, 23:35:42 »
Mini's only. if I don't have mini's I use proxys. Heck I even prefer to have mini's for buildings and dropships if I can.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

mike19k

• Lieutenant
« Reply #49 on: 06 August 2013, 11:01:37 »
Mini's only. if I don't have mini's I use proxys. Heck I even prefer to have mini's for buildings and dropships if I can.

I would love to see more dropship and building mini's.

Legendmaker

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
    • Battletech & More Channel
« Reply #50 on: 07 August 2013, 20:42:20 »
In the events I run. I use miniatures only as I run full terrain non hexed games.

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #51 on: 07 August 2013, 22:22:51 »
Miniatures.I have plenty of choice in my collection.
Rather players are short around here. :(
Who has bread has no teeth and
who has teeth has no bread.

LastChanceCav

• Captain
  • Repossessing the dispossessed ...
« Reply #52 on: 10 August 2013, 18:22:41 »
I have been playing battletech since the 80s. The first time I used minis was after I picked myself up a box set.

Cheers,
LCC
Last Chance Engineering - Bespoke Battlemechs for the refined gentleperson.

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #53 on: 11 August 2013, 07:16:03 »
I have a regiments worth of minis and I have the third smallest collection in my group. One of our players (TheMaster1955) has over 1,000 so we are never short.

That being said I still have my card board stands from second Ed. just incase I need them. O0
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

Battleclad

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #54 on: 11 August 2013, 09:27:43 »
I have yet to make the jump to tabletop (yay for megamek et al.), mostly because of a deficiency of gaming groups in my area for BattleTech. That said I do play another tabletop and I use solely mini's for that. But I've always considered papercraft mini's to the best viable option between true mini's and counters, sadly not a lot of systems use those. Which is a pity as they can pre-fabs in the back of the sourcebooks that can then be photocopied/used and coloured/painted to suit the players need. Plus so long as you use tabs and not glue they pack down nicely for storage purposes.
« Last Edit: 11 August 2013, 09:30:54 by Battleclad »

Orion

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #55 on: 13 August 2013, 12:43:52 »
Started with cardboard standups, but haven't needed them in years.  I have about 40 minis, and I'll proxy as needed.  I'm willing to use the cardboard from my 4th ed box, but I would use one or the other - not mix them during a game.  If I got into the game today, I'd like use whatever came in the box, and not pay for anything else.  I'm not a mini collector - I just happened to acquire some on the cheap.  As for terrain, I think it looks great in a static diorama, but isn't worth the effort to play on it.  A large number of paper hex maps is far better than one static piece of terrain that is used over and over.

A problem I see is that even if cheap plastic minis are included in a box set, too often they get painted up nicely, and then need special carrying cases so they don't get damaged in transport.  With the cardboard, having everything in one box, and not caring so much if they get beat up, I see as a distinct advantage.

At times, I wish the boxed sets included a set of cardboard standups, and then maybe a lance of plastic to get people interested in something better.  And have free or very cheap downloads so that people could print out new cardboard when they needed them.  My preference is that the cardboard is closer to map scale than mini scale, but that's just me.
Game mechanics are a way of resolving questions in play, not explanations of the world itself.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #56 on: 14 August 2013, 18:37:37 »
Last count had somewhere around 200 Battletech minis between me and Liam's Ghost and probably another 200 of non-Battletech minis we don't mind using as stand ins.

So for the purposes of this poll I had to select the second option.

FedComGirl

• Major
« Reply #57 on: 17 August 2013, 17:13:59 »
Never! Minis only!
Rarely. I would only use counters as the last resort (after I run out of minis).
Occasionally. I'll play with whatever's on hand to get the numbers I need.
A lot. Sorry, but I just can't afford a big minis collection.
All the time. Who has shelf space for minis?

There should be a category for:
I want to use the units now without having to proxy.

Although I'd still have to go with I can't afford minis. But if I could afford minis I'd still want counters so I could use new units right away without having to wait.