Author Topic: Alternate Timeline with Thanks (FULL) Part 2  (Read 248877 times)

James Tanaga

• Sergeant
Re: Alternate Timeline with Thanks (FULL) Part 2
« Reply #390 on: 25 October 2016, 01:39:16 »
Interesting update. Wonder how the Kell Hounds leaving Steiner service will effect the Lyran Commonwealth politically. Also loved the Clan Council meeting pov. Great update! :D

James Tanaga

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #391 on: 28 October 2016, 03:42:22 »
Great update!  Wow another unit created under the nose of MIIO and DMI?   ;D :-\     Keep it up

"Merc" units are raised every day how they end up branded well...

And owie! The (tattered remnants of) Kell Hounds leaving Steiner's service could leave a big gap in their line against the Falcons.

Not much since Arc Royal they've been far from the lines on Gallery the Kell Hounds are not the force they once were.

Interesting update. Wonder how the Kell Hounds leaving Steiner service will effect the Lyran Commonwealth politically. Also loved the Clan Council meeting pov. Great update! :D

James Tanaga

Well if they turned their guns on Steiner I think there would be a problem but Morgan Kell is dead, Phelan is long dead, many Lyrans have seen the Kell Hounds as Clan Mountain Wolf's pet for many years.  Now they get a chance to try and run on their own again.
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #392 on: 28 October 2016, 04:02:58 »
The first part of this update comes from James Tanaga I hope you enjoy it and the rest of the update.

Fire Mandrill Compound, Kelly Springs
Tukayyid
Clan Territory, Inner Sphere
2nd August, 3106

Natasha Faraday sat in her office, idly studying a recent Trial of Possession displayed on the holo-monitor, as she kept her subordinate waiting. The Trial of Possession in question was a small boon to her Clan, for it netted the Fire Mandrills production schematics for the Black Lanner OmniMech from the Falcons. In any other situation, she supposed she would have been impressed. Instead, she was furious.

On the holo-monitor, she watched as a point of her Clan’s new Cheyenne aerospace fighters unload two points of ProtoMechs onto the battlefield and then staying on station until a Fortress-class DropShip arrived. She shook her head; annoyed at seeing a supernova containing new updated versions of the Kanga and Svantovit Infantry Fighting Vehicle unload from the DropShip.

The Trial of Possession was only the first of the Trials of Possession by the Mandrills here at Tukayyid and all undertaken by the same subordinate she kept waiting outside. Star Captain Mary Fire Mandrill, a seventeen-year old Elemental-phenotype Warrior, could go far, very far, Natasha had decided, but only if she learnt patience.

The other Clans barely tolerated her Mandrills, the young Khan knew, and she wisely had ordered her Mandrills to keep within their small enclave on the planet, keen to keep her Clan from being entangled in the affairs of other Clans and the Ebon Guard. And the other Clans, excepting the Sea Foxes, accepted it. Only by a mere technicality was her Clan even considered Clan, reviled even by certain Clans more than the exiled Mountain Wolves.

It was not yet time for her Mandrills to come out of their dens, she had decided. Yet now they had no other option, for she knew the other Clans would not take the Mandrills recent incursions, even if they were unauthorized, lying down. The comm unit buzzed.

“Khan, Star Captain Mary-,” Natasha cut Jennifer, the female Laborer that served as her secretary off.

“I know,” the young Khan bit out. “Send her in.”

“Aff, Khan,” was the other Clan woman’s simple answer before closing the link. Soon the large, burly Warrior came in.

“Star Captain Mary Fire Mandrill reporting as ordered, Khan,” the younger Warrior growled out as she stood at attention, her hands going behind her back, feet apart. Natasha nodded approving.

Standing up, she herself soon copied the younger Warrior, even while she looked up into the mismatching green and grey eyes. A genetic oddity only seen in the woman’s and certain other sibko’s, she knew.

“You know why I have brought you here, quiaff,” she asked the younger Warrior, causing her to snort and roll her eyes.

“Aff,” the other woman simply replied.

“Humor me then, Star Captain. Were my orders too generalized? Or perhaps you did not understand them,” she asked the taller woman as she walked around her. “Or perhaps you were even goaded and too enraged to realize them?”

“Neg” she answered simply refusing to fabricate an answer, that alone was something to respect of the warrior Natasha decided. “I saw opportunities for our Clan, Khan, and exploited them,” Mary answered. “And by doing so, I have made our Clan stronger” she said proudly a trait that was unbecoming someone so young.

Natasha sighed. Ever since she refused to become the leader of the Rim Collection, she had lost much of her Warriors respect they believed that she should have seized control and turned the Rim Collection into the Fire Mandrill Occupation Zone making everyone take her Clan seriously. Mary was but one of those Warriors, she judged privately to herself. “Did it not occur to you our Clan is not yet in position to do just that, Star Captain?”

“If we had a stronger Khan, then perhaps I might have, Khan,” was her cold reply, confirming Natasha’s prior thoughts, causing Natasha to turn her back to the younger, taller Warrior despite her open hostility Natasha knew that Mary was too proud, too honourable, to strike her back.

“Then know this. Khan Teresia Cooper of the Horses has declared a Trial of Possession for production schematics of our new Vajra and Vijaya variants this morning,” she informed Mary.

“My supernova and I will meet them on the battlefield then, Khan,” was her answer.

“Neg,” she rebutted her subordinate.

“Neg?!”

“Neg,” Natasha confirmed her back still to the younger Mandrill Warrior intentionally trying to provoke Mary and keep any defences she had down the angrier she was the more it played into Natasha’s hands. “I and the Horse Khan agreed one of our Clan’s secondline Elemental points will face a point belonging to her own Keshik. Publically, I am scorning her and her Clan.”
“And privately you let her Clan have the advantage!” Natasha heard Mary rage.

“Perhaps,” the Mandrill Khan conceded. “Yet the point in question is entirely solahma. They do have the experience. Perhaps they will be victorious. Perhaps not.” She conceded it was something she had accepted as soon as the decision was made.  “But in the end, our little scrap with the Horses will likely be forgotten by our Clans.”

“If you think I will take this lying down-“ the other Warrior spat out.

“You will, Star Captain.”  Natasha said turning on Mary the Khan’s own gaze full of the authority of not a mear warrior speaking to another but a Khan talking to a subordinate. “For if you do not, I will declare your entire supernova dezgra and I will see you caste out to join the Dark or dead on the battlefield.” She gave her ultimatum to the younger Warrior. Moments passed as the younger, much taller Fire Mandrill Warrior sieved.

“You have done well, Star Captain. Soon, our Clan will begin producing Black Lanners, an old but worthy design, and license the Zephyros to Rim Motors as soon as we get back home,” she announced a moment later. “You are dismissed. Go out and celebrate your victories here on Tukayyid. We leave for home in two local days time.”

The other Warrior did not entertain Khan Faraday with an answer, merely cursing under her breath loudly, before leaving the room. Natasha sighed. She hated the fact she was forced to threaten her subordinate, but to safeguard her Clan’s very vulnerable position here on Tukayyid, she would follow through with her threat to her fellow Warrior. And then, she promised herself, she would commit seppuku.

“Khan,” Jennifer’s voice broke her from her thoughts. Turning to face the door, she saw the small, older Laborer holding the door for Khan Clarke of the Sea Foxes. Before long, both Khans were in talks on the Mandrills potentially providing the Sea Foxes with their newly won OmniMech.  The Foxes in turn were ready to trade equally with the Mandrills knowing they would each get a fair deal.

Clan Council, Snow Raven Hall
Alpheratz, Raven Alliance
Periphery
7th August 3106

Communicating with the Clan Council via Hyper Pulse Generator from the WarShip Snow Raven Khan Vir Sukhanov appeared as a large hologram in front of the assembled bloodnamed warriors of the Snow Raven Clan.  This was not how he would have preferred to communicate with the senior members of his Clan but it was necessary.  “My fellow Ravens the other Clans see us as a joke living in the periphery at the beck-and-call of the Outworlds Alliance.”  He said deciding to go with the shock factor to gain support from the other Ravens.  “One of our Khans left to join the Inner Sphere abandoning her responsibilities” he said putting Sterling McKenna’s still strong supporters in their place “while another decided that working with the Draconis Combine was better than acting like a true Clan.”  He said before anyone stood up for Jacob Siegel.  “Clan Nova Cat gives us an opportunity”

“An opportunity to be taken as fools” Galaxy Commander Duncan Cooper said interrupting his Khan.  Duncan was ten years older than Vir and had narrowly been beaten by the younger man to the position of Khan.  When Vir had passed over him for the position of saKhan it had further angered the Elemental.  “Since your little trip to the Nova Cat’s new holdings and then onto Tukayyid Clan Nova Cat have taken a further three periphery system” he said as a map to the side of Vir’s hologram highlighted Opia, Banton IV and Ghazen all as Nova Cat systems “we are helping them create another realm.  Our arracks on the Draconis Combine will only serve to help them gain more territory while turning the Draconis Combine against us.  A nation that could overwhelm us with the number of units they can bring against us.”

“Are you scared Duncan Cooper?  We are members of Clan Snow Raven the only thing we should be scared of is being grounded.”  Vir taunted the older man “I know the Nova Cats want to use us as a distraction and as a source of additional firepower to use against the Draconis Combine.  I also know that we have dispatched units to these systems.”  He said highlighting four other systems in the Periphery.  “This will benefit us as well as benefit Clan Nova Cat.  We will gain fighting experience which many of our units currently lack, we will gain resources which we can put towards new WarShip construction which given what I have seen of the new Arbitration-class is something we need to look at and more importantly we will regain some of the respect we have lost to the other Clans.  After all of these years in the sidelines it is time for the Raven to soar.”

The Raven Khan’s impassioned speech won enough support for the Ravens to authorize the attacks on the Combine by the end of the month the Ravens had taken six Periphery planets and struck at the Draconis Combine world of Pentrine X while the Nova Cats had finished capturing the periphery planets and struck at Nowhere and Gravenhage capturing both and destroying elements of the DCMS’ Seventh Ghost Regiment which along with several other Ghost Regiments had recently been sent to the region following intelligence suggesting the Ravens were up to something.

Naval Launch, McKenna Shipyards
Kathil, Kathil PDZ
Capellan Marc, Federated Suns
13th August 3106

At the McKenna Shipyards above Kathil the former Clan Mountain Wolf vessel Killing Blow is relaunched as the FSS Killing Blow.  After a period of refit the vessel has been modified from the Vincent Mk 42-class Corvette that the ship was into what the Kathil Shipworks call the Vincent Davion-class Destroyer and it is intended on being a competitor to the established Davion III-class Destroyer built by Galax.  Launching alongside the Killing Blow is the FSS Vincent Davion a newly built vessel of the same class within hours both vessels are sold to the Federated Suns Admiralty with the Federated Suns Quartermasters confirming they are interested in further WarShips.  The FSS Killing Blow is sent to be tested joining Fifth Battle Group in the Star League Protectorate.

Arrest Warrant
Prochnow Settlement, Devil’s Rock
Star League Protectorate
22nd August 3106

Standing behind the law enforcement officers encased in a Nighthawk XXI Power Armour suit all Captain Morgan Christifori could think about was this was not why he joined the SLDF alongside him another member of his company stood in his Nighthawk suit waiting for the answer from the gang members.

“We are here to issue an arrest warrant for Bobby Winchester who is wanted for crimes committed on Saffel including the murder of the Duke of Saffel and the theft of the Duke’s BattleMech.”  One officer said to the doorman “we don’t want any trouble” he said as the man looked up at the two Nighthawk suits standing silently behind them.  On most planets the presence of two Battle Armour suits would be considered overkill but not on Devil’s Rock this entire region was dominated by people loyal to the Pronchnow family with Devil’s Rock a distant second and the SLDF as close to an enemy as there could be this was hostile territory despite the way the media tried to spin it.

“He isn’t available”

“Then make him available” the enforcement officer demanded Morgan glanced at his sensors and saw there was at least four movement markers behind the doors.  For the umpteenth time he checked his rifle.  He’d originally wanted to take a BattleMech lance down the street but command on Devil’s Rock had deemed that too provocative.

“I mean he isn’t here left three days ago is heading for Marik space” he said looking between the two enforcement officers and the Battle Armour.

“Can we enter to check for ourselves?”

“Only with a warrant” the man said laughing as he slammed the door closed.  The enforcement officer was about to tap the door again but Morgan leaned forward and pulled the man back.

“Dark One to Barkeep” he said cursing whoever chose the call-signs for this mission according to Alex they were ‘completely random.’

“Go ahead Timbiqui” Alex replied Morgan could see the smile on her face.

“Dark One and Two are pulling out with Bottle-caps.  Repeat we are pulling out keep eyes on area.”

“Understood unforeseen issues?”  She asked

“Yeah something about a warrant”

“Cheers to that Timbiqui Barkeep out” she replied Alex and the rest of their unit were on the perimeter running the operation from a distance.  Morgan had wanted his command closer but the Governor of Devil’s Rock had vetoed the move.

“We’re going now, this job just became more difficult,” he said to the enforcement officers “this isn’t something we can win today.  Get in and go we’ll keep up.”  He commanded “Two we’re running out” he said to the other trooper their Jump Jets would let them cover the transport from different angles if needed but they both knew that their Mech Support was five-ten minutes out at best.  They moved out of the area quickly and were not attacked back at their SLDF Encampment Morgan’s greatest fear had been confirmed since the SLDF could not for one hundred percent confirm that Bobby Winchester was in the compound and that the stolen Huron Warrior was present Mech Support was not authorized nor was a breach of the Prochnow estate until they were sure.  In effect their “Active” mission had been downgraded to “Observation.”  He was going to be stuck on Devil’s Rock a bit longer.

There was a second part to James Tanaga's update which was awesome but I've decided to hold onto it as it will be the first pebbles of what could become an land slide... ;)
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #393 on: 28 October 2016, 08:57:55 »
Good Write Up guys!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #394 on: 28 October 2016, 11:23:57 »
Great stuff folks :) Damn nice writing as always and good to see the Mandril's at it still.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #395 on: 28 October 2016, 15:35:38 »
Excellent update as always.

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #396 on: 28 October 2016, 23:27:03 »
Snow Ravens and Nova Cats taking the fight to the DC.
Liking it. O0
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #397 on: 30 October 2016, 05:35:40 »
And in case folks were wondering the Vajra and Vijaya are from this thread - http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=55099.0 and are detailed below.

Svantovit Mk II/Vajra

The Svantovit was seen as a Maxim IIC by the Inner Sphere and they may not have been too far wrong.  Designed to carry troops to battle and then support them the Svan gave good service but it was getting a bit dated.

Its main flaws were its thin armoured hide and the general short range of its weapons that meant exposing the vehicle to too much return fire, and this was fire its armour could not withstand, especially when it stopped to unload its troops.

Whilst seeking to retain the Svan's firepower the Horses looked at 'sprucing up' the design to make it more capable on the modern battlefield.  Central to this was the instillation of an XL engine.  This saved a considerable amount of weight whilst allowing the vehicle to retain its formidable speed.

Built around a 5-ton cargo bay that was built to take Elementals the new bay featured hook up points to charge the Elemental's batteries from the Svan's reactor as well as enough supplies to rearm a point even if fully depleted.

The dual LRM-5's were mounted in the turret and they were joined by a pair of ER Medium lasers to give hard fire against hostile vehicles and battle armour.  Anti infantry firepower was also improved with a pair of AP Gauss rifles, also mounted in the turret. 

An ECM was fitted to the comms system whilst a bow mounted Light TAG would allow the Svan to call on artillery support in the approach to its target or whilst supporting its troops.
An extra ton of armour was also added to help protect the IFV and its precious cargo.  Whilst more expensive and difficult to maintain (the turret took two years of field modifications to get working correctly), and thanks to the added weight a bit more difficult to pilot the Mk II was accepted into service. Due to the sheer number of changes the tank was officially renamed the Vajra. Although its crews referred to it the SLUFF, (Short Little Ugly Fat ******) all be it in an endearing way thanks to its squat but broad profile and 'fat rear end'.

Code: [Select]
Varja IFV

Mass: 35 tons
Tech Base: Clan
Motive Type: Hovercraft
Rules Level: Advanced Rules
Era: Dark Ages
Tech Rating/Era Availability: X/X-X-X-A
Production Year: 3132
Cost: 4,157,917 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,192

Power Plant:  175 Fusion XL Engine
Cruise Speed: 108.0 km/h
Flanking Speed: 162.0 km/h
Armor:  Ferro-Fibrous
Armament:
    2  ER Medium Lasers
    2  LRM-5s
    2  AP Gauss Rifles
    1  Light TAG
    1 Unknown CASE
    1  Infantry Bay (5.0 tons)
    1  ECM Suite
Manufacturer:
    Primary Factory:
Communications System:
Targeting and Tracking System:

================================================================================
Equipment           Type                         Rating                   Mass 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: Standard                      20 points                3.50
Engine:             XL Fusion Engine             175                       5.50
    Cruise MP:  10
    Flank MP:   15
Heat Sinks:         Single Heat Sink             10                        0.00
Control Equipment:                                                         2.00
Lift Equipment:                                                            3.50
Turret:                                                                    0.50
Armor:              Ferro-Fibrous                AV -  76                  4.00

Armor     
                                                      Factor     
                                               Front     20       
                                          Left/Right   14/14       
                                              Turret     16       
                                                Rear     12       

================================================================================
Equipment                                 Location    Heat     Spaces     Mass 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Light TAG                                    FR        0         1         0.50
2 LRM-5s                                     T         4         2         2.00
2 AP Gauss Rifles                            T         2         2         1.00
2 ER Medium Lasers                           T         10        2         2.00
CASE                                         BD        -         0         0.00
Infantry Bay (5.0 tons)                      BD        0         1         5.00
ECM Suite                                    BD        0         1         1.00
@LRM-5 (24)                                  BD        -         0         1.00
@AP Gauss Rifle (80)                         BD        -         0         2.00

BattleForce Statistics
MV      S (+0)  M (+2)  L (+4)  E (+6)   Wt.   Ov   Armor:      3    Points: 12
10h        3       3       1       0      1     0   Structure:  2
Special Abilities: LTAG, CASE, ECM, TUR(3/3/1), IF 1

A variant was also produced with an eye to acting as a support vehicle, packing greater firepower at the cost of its troop capacity and some speed.  Called the Vijaya the hovercraft's speed dropped to 120kph but it retained the XL fusion plant of the Vajra. 

A pair of Mech Mortar 8 and their shared 5 ton's of ammo provided the main firepower and whilst short ranged was useful in built up terrain and was immune to jamming or an AMS.  The flexible ammunition system also allowed for different types of munitions to be loaded.  A pair of ER Small lasers were also mounted in the turret and provided firepower in the mortar's dead zone. 
A pair of LRM-5's were also mounted in the bow of the machine, each drawing from a shared ton of ammo.  Whilst slower than the Vajra, the Vijaya would often be sent ahead of the IVF and get into a firing position to provide covering fire.  In a full combined Star of the two the ideal mix was seen as 6 Vajra IFV's supported by four Vijaya's.  This would bring 30 Elemental battlesuits to an engagement as well as a solid mix of heavy firepower both direct and indirect. 

Code: [Select]
Vijaya Light Artillery hover tank.

Mass: 45 tons
Tech Base: Clan
Motive Type: Hovercraft
Rules Level: Advanced Rules
Era: Dark Ages
Tech Rating/Era Availability: X/X-X-X-A
Production Year: 0
Cost: 3,990,000 C-Bills
Battle Value: 849

Power Plant:  125 Fusion XL Engine
Cruise Speed: 86.4 km/h
Flanking Speed: 129.6 km/h
Armor:  Ferro-Fibrous
Armament:
    2  LRM-5s
    2  Mech Mortar 8s
    2  ER Small Lasers
    1 Unknown CASE
Manufacturer:
    Primary Factory:
Communications System:
Targeting and Tracking System:

Equipment           Type                         Rating                   Mass 
Internal Structure: Standard                      25 points                4.50
Engine:             XL Fusion Engine             125                       3.00
    Cruise MP:  8
    Flank MP:   12
Heat Sinks:         Single Heat Sink             10                        0.00
Control Equipment:                                                         2.50
Lift Equipment:                                                            4.50
Turret:                                                                    1.50
Armor:              Ferro-Fibrous                AV -  76                  4.00

Armor     
                                                      Factor     
                                               Front     20       
                                          Left/Right   14/14       
                                              Turret     16       
                                                Rear     12       

Equipment                                 Location    Heat     Spaces     Mass 
2 LRM-5s                                     FR        4         2         2.00
2 Mech Mortar 8s                             T         20        2        10.00
2 ER Small Lasers                            T         4         2         1.00
CASE                                         BD        -         0         0.00
@Mortar 8 (Airburst) (20)                    BD        -         0         5.00
@LRM-5 (24)                                  BD        -         0         1.00

BattleForce Statistics
MV      S (+0)  M (+2)  L (+4)  E (+6)   Wt.   Ov   Armor:      3    Points: 8
8h         3       4       3       0      2     0   Structure:  3
Special Abilities: CASE, TUR(2/3/2, IF 1/2/2), IF 2

Shadow_Wraith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #398 on: 30 October 2016, 14:10:20 »
 O0

Kasaga

• Lieutenant
    • Project: LEGION (An AU by Kasaga)
« Reply #399 on: 30 October 2016, 17:51:44 »
Nice write up

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #400 on: 30 October 2016, 18:40:00 »
Was the use of the name "Vajra" related to Macross Frontier by chance... :)
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #401 on: 30 October 2016, 22:59:30 »
Was the use of the name "Vajra" related to Macross Frontier by chance... :)

Hah no, not intentional I assure you.  I just went with weapons from mythology or names that are related  to the original vehicles names.  Or ancient weapons (the Zulu spear and club for example with the Oro variants)

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #402 on: 01 November 2016, 20:41:28 »
Command Base, Eleventh Aucturan Guards Command
Rasalgethi, Arcturus Theatre
Donegal Province, Lyran Commonwealth
1st September 3106

“Leutenant Sortek reporting as ordered” Jason Sortek said standing to attention in front of General Sebastian Fuch the commander of the Eleventh Aucturan Guards RCT.

“You did well yesterday Leutenant” the General said after a moment “your lance downed two OmniMech and three armoured vehicles as well as keeping that assault star at range.  And I believe you personally eliminated a point of enemy ProtoMechs?”

“Yes sir they attempted to flank my lance I engaged the ProtoMechs while my lance maintained their fire on the rest of the Clan forces it was simply the right distribution of the weapons we had.  We were told to keep the Hell’s Horses at bay and we did sir.” Sortek answered

“Ja” Fuch agreed the Horses surprise attack on Rasagethi had come following their conquest of Orkney and Toumans at least a cluster of Horses had probed the Aucturan Guards for four days before withdrawing.  “You have done well over the last several weeks.”

“Thank you General” Jason Sortek said accepting the praise

“As a result of your little performance here I’ve decided to promote you to Hauptmann” Fuch said standing up from behind his desk slicking his greying hair back as he saw the pride break out on Sortek’s younger face.

“Thanks you sir” Sortek said shaking the older man’s hand his brown eyes blazing with pride showing the General how much he appreciated the decision.

“You’ve earned it” Fuch said “I’m moving you up to Hamilton’s company.”

“Caroline was a good company commander” Sortek said “will my lance be joining Ham… my company?”  He asked beginning to think of his new enlarged command.

“I wouldn’t want to break up a good match” Fuch confirmed “however your new company went through the thick of it against the Horses perhaps you may consider Harris for one of the lance slots?”

“Anthony has a good head on him, sir, I couldn’t have done what I did yesterday without him he deserves some recognition.”

“Very good I’ll cut the papers” Fuch said shaking Sortek’s hand a second time “and Hauptmann you can inform Mr Harris of the news.”

“Thank you sir” Sortek said nodding his head slightly in thanks to the RCT commander before leaving the office ready to take on the new challenge.  His first business was to see Anthony Harris the young man deserved to learn of his promotion, next was to check on the company he now commanded they had lost five warriors in the last battle against the Horses seven Mechs had been destroyed but two warriors had been recovered, finally he’d check on his BattleMech which had been all but destroyed in the last minutes of the battle outside the capital.  Jason Sortek stopped about five steps from General Fuch’s office and suddenly wondered when he started thinking of others and his command before his own BattleMech… perhaps the General had him figured out after all.

Royal Birth, Medical Facility
Dormuth, Marik
District of Marik, Free Worlds League
8th September 3106

On Marik Captain-General Joseph Marik’s fourth child Aaron Marik is born with both newborn and his mother Lucy Marik doing well.  This good news spreads quickly throughout the Free Worlds League just as the District of Regulus secure Wisconsin, Ayn Tarma and Skvorec from the disrupted space between the Free Worlds League and Magistracy of Canopus.  On Wisconsin the First Rim Sentinels which had been contesting the planet with the Magistracy withdraw into the District of Lesnovo turning control over to the Regulan troops.  These victories further strengthen the Regulans position in the Free Worlds League and further cut off the District of Oriente from the other nations of the Free Worlds League with their entire internal border held by the District of Regulus.

Skirmish
Robinson, Robinson PDZ
Draconis March, Federated Suns
18th September 3106

After weeks of patrolling past each other and passing in the street a company of warriors loyal to Mordecai Sandoval engage in a firefight with a patrol from the First Robinson Rangers RCT neither side lose any personnel or suffer serious equipment damage before their commanders order both sides to disengage.  Duke Jerome Sandoval issues a strongly worded message to Mordecai Sandoval relating to any further “accidents” and the consequences of such an occurrence.

From New Avalon First Prince Burton Davion issues his own ultimatum to both parties that if they do not resolve the conflict that he would finish it.  Unwilling to begin a Civil War in the the Draconis March Duke Jerome Sandoval announces the creation of the First Robinson Defenders Regiment, under Mordecia’s command, which will replace the Robinson Draconis March Militia unit.  To give the new command deployment experience he assigns the Defenders to Lima alongside the Fourth Robinson Rangers LCT.

Naval Battle
Wing, Isle of Skye
Lyran Commonwealth
27th September 3106

“I repeat this is Kapten Anne Wilson of the LCS Mitchell Simmons to incoming WarShips identify yourself and your reason for being in this system.”  She said looking at the screen at the four WarShips approaching her Hyperion-class Heavy Cruiser and the LCS Durance.  “Can we identify them?”  Wilson asked looking at the screens.

“Warbook places the closest ship to them as a Lola III but there are too many differences between them and the Lola III.”

“This is what the Wolves have been working on at Tamarind.”  Wilson mused “can we contact Wing get them to send a message to Wyatt and call in the Davion ships?”  She asked the four House Davion WarShips on loan to the were based there reinforcing the Lyran position in those systems now that Clan Wolf was stretching its paws once more she needed their help more than ever.

“Negative massive jamming from the Wolf vessels” her communications officer said “oh my god they are blossoming!”  He said looking at the screens as aerospace fighters launched from the incoming WarShips ten, twenty, thirty they continued to launch.

“How many Mr Allen?”  Wilson asked looking at the screens losing count.

“One hundred-sixty” he replied as the fighters orientated themselves into their individual combat starts behind them small craft were also organizing themselves into units.

“Contact the Wolves we surrender and have the Durance do the same.”

“Sir?”  One of the crew asked surprised

“We would struggle to resist two of the Destroyers even with support from the ground we have less chance against four of them and no chance with that many aerospace fighters.  I won’t see this crew killed fighting a battle they cannot win” she said angrily she wanted to resist the Wolves but knew that she could not win and she would not sacrifice her crew.   “Someone else will win this fight.”

She said watching as the Durance accelerated past the Simmons ignoring the stand down order “Hopkins don’t do this” she said keying in her communications link “Durance, this is the Simmons, if you do this I will have to order my crew to engage I will have to order my crew to die” she said lifting her finger off the communication button “bring up the engines twenty-five percent if we get pulled into this I don’t want to be flat-footed.  No targeting” she ordered looking at the screen and the closing Wolf WarShips “com’on Hopkins!”  She almost shouted “you must see we cannot win this fight it doesn’t matter if we live of die here!  Com’on answer me you son-of-a-bitch I don’t want to die here today not in a meaningless fight.  Give me an honest fight and I will beat them but don’t throw it away like this.”  She said passionately begging the Durance’s commander not to engage the incoming Wolves.  Watching the incoming Wolves she thought rapidly “give me communication with the Wolves now!”  She commanded her crew nodded a moment later “this is Kapten Anne Wilson to the incoming Wolf forces we are ready to surrender this system to you but your overwhelming show of force shows that you cannot defeat us in a straight battle which the Commander of the Durance cannot accept.  I challenge you to a Trial of Possession for this system” she said rapidly thinking as the Durance continued to close “I bid the LCS Mitchell Simmons, LCS Durance and their support craft in the defence of this system.”  She said watching as the four WarShips continued to close “ready weapons” she said as the Durance entered firing range with the Wolf WarShips suddenly the Clan formation opened up the four WarShips splitting ranks two going either side of the Lyran vessels. Wilson braced herself for the inevitable broadside attacks from the Clan vessels but the attacks did not come instead the four WarShips and their aerospace fighters flew straight past the Lyran vessels turning around behind them.

“Lyran vessels we accept your challenge two of our vessels and our aerospace fighters will engage you the other vessels will remain inactive unless attacked.”

Sometime later the Commander of the Wolf naval forces sat on the command bridge of the Grey Wolf as the vessel followed its sister-ship the Red Wolf.  “Helm officer keep us in their wake and on their port side wherever the Red Wolf goes I want us to maintain station quiaff?”

“Aff sir”

“They cannot win Star Admiral why do they try this?” the Executive officer asked watching the screens as the WarShips closed their aerospace fighters remaining close to the ships.  The Lyrans were flying side by side the DropShips and fighters sheltered between them.

“They are men and women of honour”

“They are desperate” he replied a moment later looking back at the weapons console as they entered weapons range.

“Destroy the Coventry first with our capital weapons, have the AR-15 and our conventional guns cut down the DropShips half of our fighters are to strike at their fighters while the others strike directly at the Hyperion.  Copy all orders to the Red Wolf.”  He commanded as both sets of WarShips opened fire “as expected the two Lyran WarShips are concentrating on Red Wolf.”

“Red Wolf turning”

“Helm officer maintain our position if the Lyrans are concentrating then so are we.  Observation track where the Red Wolf fire and send to weapons for follow up fire.”  Even as particle cannons, capital missiles, naval autocannons and naval lasers tore into the first Wolf WarShip.  From the two Wolf WarShips quad mounts of Naval Autocannons, Naval Lasers and Particle Cannons slammed into the front of the incoming Hound-class Corvette.  In a single exchange the two hundred and forty thousand ton Corvette was reduced to a pitted ruin which continued on its ballistic course as the WarShips passed each other both Wolf Destroyers opened fire with their broadside weapons tearing open the side of the crippled Corvette and destroying the Lyran DropShips.

Shielded by the destruction of the Corvette the Hyperion continued to fire on the two WarShips with its broadside mounted particle cannons and aft naval lasers with several shots striking the aft sections of the Grey Wolf.  “Red Wolf pivoting” the sensor officer reported watching the silhouette of the other destroyer.

“Follow the maneuver, weapons stations compensate for movement, helm officer our position is now ahead of the Red Wolf.  Communications have Red Wolf support their aerospace fighters and eliminate the final enemy fighters our fighters are to continue to engage the heavy cruiser.”  The Admiral said watching the screens the Grey Wolf’s aerospace fighters were already swarming the Hyperion while the Red Wolf’s attacked the Hyperion.  As the two Wolf WarShips turned end-over-end in space particle cannons, naval lasers and capital missiles struck them causing more damage.

“Hull breach section fourteen emergency bulkheads were closed we’re still air tight.”

“Bring the main array onto the heavy cruiser, helm officer take us to full thrust and down their gut.”  He commanded looking at the screen as the Grey Wolf settled and accelerated towards the Heavy Cruiser was heavier than the Grey Wolf and its weapon arrays were formidable.  “Keep us at an angle with them, weapons officer hit them as we pass and keep hitting them.”  He commanded as the two WarShips closed the aerospace fighters were causing heavy damage all on their own distracting the heavy cruiser forcing it to divert its fire.  As they closed the particle cannons of the Hyperion were beginning to show their worth burning holes in the Grey Wolf’s armour however it also worked to the advantage of the Wolf WarShip with its naval autocannons coming into play from under and above the nose of the destroyer four naval autocannons spat out fire hitting the enemy vessel smashing open the armour.  As the destroyer turned further autocannons along the hull opened fire further exploiting the heavy cruiser’s damaged hull.  With repeated autocannon and particle cannons strikes ripping into the Lyran WarShip the heavy cruiser’s fight was over and with it the battle was finished Wing belonged to the Wolves.  In the following days the systems of Gacrux, Pheoda and Chertan followed Wing into Clan Wolf’s possession more importantly the Wolves had successfully debuted their new WarShip class and deprived the Lyrans of two capital vessels.

The Lola IV-class Destroyer http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=55254.new#new
« Last Edit: 01 November 2016, 20:50:18 by Dragon Cat »

Shadow_Wraith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #403 on: 01 November 2016, 22:31:03 »
Nice update!  Regulans trying to make a play for Oriente?  Nice Space Battle and story.

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #404 on: 02 November 2016, 01:09:41 »
Oriente's position looks very bad.
The Lyran's are really having a bad time in naval combat. O0
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #405 on: 02 November 2016, 01:24:27 »
Great update Dragon Cat!  Excellent writing and shenanigans as always :)

Arvanna

• Warrant Officer
  • Bayonets foreward Boys...CHARGE!!!!!!
« Reply #406 on: 05 November 2016, 20:52:41 »
Looks the AFFS is going to need to look at replacing the Block III Davion in light of recent events. Frankly I've not been terribly impressed with the III as the only thing they seem to do reliably do is get their teeth knocked in by everything they've fought in this AU.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #407 on: 07 November 2016, 18:32:47 »
Looks the AFFS is going to need to look at replacing the Block III Davion in light of recent events. Frankly I've not been terribly impressed with the III as the only thing they seem to do reliably do is get their teeth knocked in by everything they've fought in this AU.

They've needed a new Davion for a while...

Which led to the development of this class...

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=55328.msg1272770#msg1272770

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #408 on: 07 November 2016, 23:06:23 »
She's a potent thing, not bad for something that started out as the distinctly underwhelming Vincent.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #409 on: 09 November 2016, 08:16:11 »
Another update.  My continued thanks to James Tanaga for the Fire Mandrill story and I guess my continued apologies to any Lyran and Combine fans...  Things will get better

Draconis Combine Defence
Land’s End, Land’s End Prefecture
Pesht Military District, Draconis Combine
9th October 3106

The Draconis Combine’s Periphery region is ravaged by a further series of attacks from Clans Snow Raven and Nova Cat.  In the defence of Land’s End the recently reformed Eleventh Ghost Regiment attempts to resist the Snow Raven assault utilizing companies of brand-new equipment including the Ixtab Hovertank.  The Ixtab was based off Draconis Combine intelligence regarding the Nova Cat’s Cizin Hovertank using four extended-range medium lasers and two twin-tube short range missile launchers.  The Ixtab utilizes heavy ferro-fibrous armour making it a tough nut to crack but lacks the integral CASE found on the Nova Cat vehicle.  Regardless the Ixtab gives the Combine unit the flexibility to flank the Snow Raven ground forces keeping them on edge unfortunately even the speed and durability of the Ixtab cannot counter the Snow Ravens air superiority and the Ghosts are forced from the system with barely a combined arms battalion of their forces remaining.

As the Nova Cats seize three systems and the Snow Ravens seize four the Draconis Combine Government calls for assistance from the Star League Defence Force to help resist the Clans.  The SLDF dispatch the Second Kittery Regimental Brigade, Stone’s Liberators, from Milos along with the WarShip SLS Truce of Tukayyid, a Black Lion-class Battle-cruiser, the SLS Republic, a Republic-class Frigate, and several assault DropShips as escort.

FWL Assault
Landfall, Lothian League
Periphery
15th October 3106

“I completely disagree with this course of action!”  Colonel John R Wrangler almost shouted looking at the Free Worlds League officer and then to the other mercenary commander.  “I mean no offence Major Miller but The Thunder Road work better when they are deployed alone and under my direct command.”  He said angrily looking first at the younger mercenary and then back to the Free Worlds League command Colonel Arthur Tressler.

“As do the Mailed Fist” Thomas Miller agreed “our contract specifically says that the Mailed Fist will remain completely under my command.”

“Paragraph fourteen; section C, in the event that the Free Worlds League commander deems it necessary operational command will transfer to them.”  Tressler said “I am the Free Worlds League Commander and I have deemed it necessary.”  He said glancing between the two men “your units will work together under my command.  Colonel Wrangler your forces will secure our central and eastern flans Major Miller your forces will hold the west.  My command element will move through the centre with The Thunder Road we will overrun the Lothian defenders in this area and secure the capital.”

“Sir, with respect our combined forces number more than two regiments of the latest equipment.  Intelligence suggests that the local mercenary forces have a regiment of forces mostly infantry with their Mechs of a Fourth Succession-era vintage.  We should negotiate.” Wrangler stressed not looking forward to the prospect Tressler’s own company would probably be enough to break them.

“I agree it will be a slaughter” Miller said

“These are my orders” Tressler ordered

“I will lodge a formal complaint with the MRBC we didn’t sign on to slaughter those that cannot defend themselves.”

“Neither did we” Miller agreed

“I pay you paychecks gentlemen and you will carry out my commands.”  He said as the two mercenary commanders suggested the following battle was a slaughter with the local defenders completely wiped out by the attack.  Both mercenary units lodged formal complaints with the MRBC and FWL government over the unnecessary attack while Grand Mistress Clarissa Logan announced that she had formally taken control of Lothario and the Lothian League government and seeks peace with the Free Worlds League and Lyran Commonwealth.

Trial of Possession
Pasig, Hell’s Horses Occupation Zone
Clan Occupied Space, Inner Sphere
24th October 3106

During a successful Trial of Possession for control of the Pasig system Clan Sea Fox deploy several new BattleMechs which look like the Thanatos BattleMech deployed by the Inner Sphere.  Analysis of the BattleMechs suggests that this new design is sixty tons in weight and is capable of matching the movement profile of the Inner Sphere Mech it resembles.  The BattleMech dubbed the Thanatos IIC appears to be armed with several different types of laser weapon, an anti-personnel gauss rifle and a twelve-tube Advanced Tactical Missile Launcher.

The deployment of this BattleMech only a few months after the deployment of the Thanatos TNS-4E by the Lyran Commonwealth and the use of ATMs on both designs suggest a link between the Sea Foxes and House Steiner that goes deeper than simply a trade alliance.

Lost
Rim Collection, Periphery
27th October, 3106

“Damnit!” Star Captain Bryan Chrisholm cursed as he looked out his cockpit, turning away from his target. The Elysium was getting hit by everything the Stone Spirit WarShip could hit her with. Even at this distance, he could see the Elysium was on its final legs. He knew this battle would be its last. Win, lose, or draw, the Whirlwind-class destroyer was done for.

Yet it was giving as good as it was receiving, he well knew. Already, he could see heavy damage done to the enemy WarShip’s aft section, primarily around the WarShip’s massive engine blocks.
The Stone Spirit warship, an ancient Dart-class Light Cruiser if he remembered right, jumped into the system two days ago, carrying four DropShips. One, a near-extinct Miraborg-class DropShip, carried the entire aerospace asset for the force. The two Titan Monitors the Rim Collection had in the system had already severely damaged it. He knew two other Stone Spirit DropShips had stormed their way to Lost.

As he turned his Kirghiz around, he could only shake his head as the Elysium began breaking up. Yet its sacrifice allowed them victory, he noted, as his eyes tracked incoming missile fire from both Titan Monitors. He took aim and fired, sending two ER PPC blasts in tandem into one of the cruiser’s impressive weapons banks on its starboard side.

Again and again, he and his fellow Warriors, assisted by the Titan Monitors and then later, the regular Titan, slowly, but firmly crippled the proud warship. He and the other aerospace fighter pilots would target weapon banks after weapon banks, while the Titans targeted the warship itself.

Soon, he could see lifeboats and lifepods ejecting from the now-crippled warship. Over his radio, he idly noted the surviving Stone Spirit crew of the WarShip comm. in their surrender. Still, he and his fellow pilots continued hammering the ancient Dart until finally he could see the power finally flicker then die all across the ship.

“Echo Trinary; begin escorting the lifeboats and pods to Lazy Monkey. Repeat. Echo Trinary begin escorting the survivors to Lazy Monkey,” Star Captain Abraham Lynn of the Infernal Howl, his DropShip commander, reported over his radio.

“Echo-One here. Roger that, Infernal. All pilots begin escort duties to the Lazy Monkey. Over,” he ordered into his radio. As his fellow pilots reported in, he noted just how close the battle had nearly turned against them, as he and his point mate passed the Gleamed Eye, one of two Titan Monitors in the DropShip star. He shook his head, as he forced himself not to stare at the damage done to its ventral port side. Soon, he and his fellow pilots began to escort the surviving Stone Spirit bondsmen to the RCJS Lazy Monkey, the Odyssey-class JumpShip that served as his DropShip star’s transport.

Wedding, Subtlety (McKenna MOD)
Galatea, Isle of Skye
Lyran Commonwealth
30th October 3106

On board the training WarShip Subtlety Captain William Leroy-Dietrich and his fiancée Commander America Park marry in front of the ship’s complement and many others from the other ships of the travelling college.  The two take a leave of absence from the Subtlety travelling to the world of Skye for their honeymoon taking a cruise through the lakes of Skye on a luxury yacht.

During their visit to Skye Duchess of Skye Ilsa Kelswa-Aten attempts to recruit the Leroy-Deitrich and his crew to the Isle of Skye offering them riches beyond their dreams.  Leroy-Dietrich respectfully declines stating that the Subtlety will continue to remain an independent WarShip training anyone who desires their assistance in the Galatea system.

RCJS Lazy Monkey (Odyssey-class JumpShip)
Lost, Rim Collection
Periphery
31st October, 3106

Bryan sat in the ready room onboard the RCJS Lazy Monkey, idly watching the collage of holo-images and video being sent out from Lyran space. From back of him, he heard a whistle coming from Star Commander Anastasia. “Looks the dezgra Spirits are finally on the move, ovKhan,” she spoke out loud.

“Aff,” Star Captain Jose Carrol reported, as the holo-screen shifted to a map displaying the Stone Spirit, Lyran Commonwealth, and Rim Collection borders. “We have confirmed reports the Spirits have begun their assault on five systems.”

Bryan was shocked. How the hell- He sensed his fellow Warriors felt the same as he by the news; gob smacked. Anastasia voiced all of their thoughts. “How in the hell did the dezgra Spirits of all people just rammed the the Lyrans a new one, ovkhan?!”

“You want the simple answer or the complex one, Star Commander,” Jose answered in kind.

“Preferably both, but simple will do for now,” Bryan answered up, less he appear to the others as being unable to lead.

“Alright,” Jose Carrol sighed out as he brushed his hair. “Spirits are using simple isolate and overwhelm tactics all across the board.  Their ground units are scattering the Lyrans with overwhelming firepower.” The older Warrior added as an afterthought. “The Lyrans stripped the Periphery border in favour of sending units into a meat-grinder against the Jade Falcons and Hell's Horses.  As is with all things when peace came to the Falcon border the worlds there still liked the defences they had, the units liked the additional facilities available further into the Inner Sphere and the units that should have been rotated back to the periphery remained on the Falcon border."  He explained "the Eighth Commonwealth Guards and the Fourteenth Lyran Regulars RCT are garrisoning multiple worlds they cannot bring their full weight to bear in defence. Aside from the Eighth's Second Battalion on Canal, all their garrisons are being hit hard. I doubt we will be seeing much more of those units ever again.”

Bryan nodded to himself. “What about the Dismal Disinherited,” he asked out loud.

“The Spirits have hit their garrisons on Kwangjong-ni, Ma'anshan and Issba counting down the three systems” Jose informed them. “Judging by the reports, seem like the dezgra mercs will be facing an over-strengthened galaxy just on their own. If that is true,” he didn’t need to finish.

“The dezgra mercs are in for a world of hurt,” Bryan ended the thought.

“Can the Lyrans push back the Spirits,” questioned Warrior Michael Fitzgerald, one of two Collection Freeborn Warriors in their unit.

Though Jose shook his head, Bryan turned his head to the back in Michael’s direction. “Not without WarShip and heavy DropShip support, Mike, and we all know the Lyrans allocation of assault DropShips to the Periphery.”

“You mean none, quiaff,” chuckled out his point mate Jasmine, causing many to laugh.  "They still have the LCS Morgan Kell and LCS Arthur Steiner Davion" Jasmine noted naming the Fox-class and Hyperion-class WarShips if they could utilize them correctly they could put a dent in the Stone Spirit assault."  She noted with brought even more laughter few of them expected the Lyrans to use their naval forces correctly.

Once the laughter had settled, everyone once became serious. “Even if the Lyrans use said support correctly, I doubt it would do them any good,” remarked Star Commander Helena Fire Mandrill, a survivor from the Elysium. “As noted what units they have in area are not front-line units.”

“I noticed that too,” Bryan admitted. “Pass the mercs at Kwangjong-ni, Ma'anshan and Issba; the Spirits have nearly a free run deep into Lyran space if they feel like pushing. The Lyran militia forces in this region are laughing stocks. They only need to hit the Ninth Regulars and their depot at Millerton to safeguard their flank. My guess is they attacked us here to safeguard their other flank, quiaff?” he queried Jose.

“Aff,” the older Warrior answered. “Before our forces ground side managed to stop the Spirits, they nearly destroyed our primary supply depot. Most of our missiles and ballistics were destroyed, along with a good chunk of our spare parts.”

“There goes our vacation into the Stone Spirit wilderness,” joked Star Commander Toga.

“I am afraid your safari into the Stone Spirit jungle has been put on hold Toga,” Jose humored the teenager Star Commander, causing some chuckles throughout the room. “The RCS Firestorm is escorting the RCS Providence here. Our orders are to safeguard the crippled Spirit of York and our new bondsmen as well as give support to the First Rim Rangers and Seventh Rim Strikers planet side. Only when the RCS Providence is away with the Spirit of York will our safari begin,” he answered ferally. “Until then, we keep a watchful eye on the border, quiaff?”

“Aff!” Bryan and his fellow Warriors answered in kind. All knew their Clan was going to have fun with the Stone Spirits. For now, they just needed to be patient. Nothing hard, quiaff?

Falling back from the Stone Spirit attacks the Dismal Disinherited Mercenary Brigade had lost approximately a Regiment of BattleMechs and support units.  The Eighth Commonwealth Guards had effectively been destroyed with only a single combined arms Battalion remaining on Canal while Fourteenth Lyran Guards RCT were heavily engaged on several worlds and were trying to regroup on Baryshevo.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #410 on: 09 November 2016, 12:24:44 »
Very nice update Dragon Cat!  With their large military i'm surprised the DCMS is loosing so many worlds, but its being hit by two separate Clans who's performance complements each other really.  And there's a major naval threat too. 

The Lyrans are in yet more trouble, but hopefully the SLDF and Fedsuns forces are still in the region to help them out, and the wedding was very well done :)

Arvanna

• Warrant Officer
  • Bayonets foreward Boys...CHARGE!!!!!!
« Reply #411 on: 09 November 2016, 12:28:27 »
LOL why is it the Lyrans almost always seem to be getting pasted in nearly every AU story?

Vition2

• Lieutenant
« Reply #412 on: 09 November 2016, 13:27:21 »
Interesting things going on in the Northeast.

There appears to be somewhat of a line of defenses in the that area of the Draconis Combine, but the level of successes and lack of resistance so far appears to mean the Cats and Ravens took them by surprise.  The 11th Ghost being taken down relatively quickly is probably concerning as they were likely meant to blunt or slow assaults from that direction.  But they still have the rest of the line at Algale, Kamarod, Multan, and Soul.  They also have the capability of offensive actions launched from the Suianheer/Pondicherry/Tabayama area, where they have 5 units, and 3 more if they include New Samarkand units - many of these 8 units are elites.  In addition they have 7 warships near the Raven border (though as many as 3 may be in repairs or overhaul) and another 4 which appear to be located deep in Draconis control which may be able to be tasked to the assaulting area.  With the 2 warships and 2 SLDF units, they may end up being at near parity - depending on how many resources the Ravens are willing to shove into the assault.

As for the Lyrans and Dracs getting the snot beat out of them for a bit, I take the view that if your faction isn't getting kicked in the butt, they aren't doing anything.  >:D

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #413 on: 09 November 2016, 13:32:16 »
Well all we need is the Bears to join in and then there will be much nervous sweating in the DCMS.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #414 on: 09 November 2016, 21:55:04 »
I'm pleasantly surprised that the Thunder Road made appearance.  :D  I guess the Free Worlds League has a some social general working with them. 

Too bad about the Dart, i don't think it was destroyed but it be nice catch to have and do the wondrous upgrades everyone gets their ships in this AU. 

Great Update, Dragon Cat.  Alot interesting shifts in the dynamics of your universe.   

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #415 on: 10 November 2016, 01:00:50 »
DC any chance that Dart could be salvaged.
If only the Lyran social generals would stop bending over to bow to each other then they would not get kicked. :D
I wonder how deep that arrangement between the Lyrans and the Sea Foxes goes. O0
Growing up is optional.

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #416 on: 10 November 2016, 18:41:57 »
If only the Lyran social generals would stop bending over to bow to each other then they would not get kicked. :D
I wonder how deep that arrangement between the Lyrans and the Sea Foxes goes. O0

that would be great if they can save the Dart... the FM's need to work out how to take over ships quickly.  they have few ships and everyone else has more and bigger ones, have to come up with a way to counter that

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #417 on: 11 November 2016, 19:20:23 »
LOL why is it the Lyrans almost always seem to be getting pasted in nearly every AU story?

Wrong place wrong time... every time

It's not dead but in many pieces

that would be great if they can save the Dart... the FM's need to work out how to take over ships quickly.  they have few ships and everyone else has more and bigger ones, have to come up with a way to counter that

If they weren't Clan I'd say nukes... but they are so they are stuffed

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #418 on: 11 November 2016, 19:41:17 »
Extra long November 3106 with pieces from marauder648, James Tanaga... and me

Anderson Station (Olympus-class Research Station)
Sigma Mare, Andurien Commonality
Capellan Confederation
5th November 3106

There was a small gathering on the gravity deck of the Olympus-class Recharge Station, Anderson Station, in the Sigma Mare system deep inside the Capellan Confederation.  Among the guests was Chancellor Dao-Shen Liao who looked very bored listening to the engineer who was explaining what was happening.  “As you saw earlier at this station we have built the lower half of the vessel while in the Conquista system the rest of the ship has been built.  Between our two systems we are building two ships at the same time Conquista building the top sections while we build the lower sections.”

“Very interesting” the Chancellor said dryly he wasn’t entirely sure shy he was here if he was honest.  Suddenly off the bow of the space station a JumpShip flashed into the system and quickly dispatched two DropShips one a Behemoth while the other looked like it carried some sort of Tug attachment.  It took the two ships approximately thirty minutes to approach the space station when they did the tug approached the lower half of the space station while the Behemoth held off opening its cargo bay to space while mechanical arms inside the ship slowly moved the top section of what appeared to be a Lung Wang-class DropShip out of it’s first bay.  As the Chancellor watched the partially completed DropShip being moved out of the ship the Tug reappeared pushing the lower half of the Lung Wang.  The lower section was expertly moved into position underneath the forward section and Dao-Shen Liao could see engineers scrambling over the hull connecting the two sections together.

“The connection process takes approximately a day and a half.”  He said confidently as the engineers worked quickly over the hull “the ship will then be fueled and loaded with ammunition and will be ready for service within a couple of days.”  The engineer said as another Tug appeared moving another section of DropShip into position as a second nose section was pushed out into space this time it was a Celestial-class Pocket WarShip the Chancellor could see the difference in the hull shape.  “In the Celestial’s case she will also need aerospace fighters but in all intensive purposes both of these ships will be ready for service tomorrow afternoon.”  The engineer promised surprising Chancellor Dao-shen Liao.

“How long to build them?”

“Approximately two months to build both ships because we are only building half of the ship here we can concentrate on completing those sections while Conquista can build the control sections.  Both stations build weapons into their individual sections while the reactors are not brought online until the ship is fully completed.  If we had an ammunition station in system both vessels would be ready for service and fully armed within two days.”  He said deciding to push his luck a little further “if there was a second station in this system and another in the Conquista system then we would both be aple to purchase attack DropShips independent of each other.

“Of course” the Chancellor said watching the DropShip come together in space.  “What about quality control if the ship is not powered before it is completed how do you know the systems work?”  The Chancellor asked

“We run the ship’s systems from the station during station.  Each section is fully tested in the cargo bay on this station.  There will be a twelve hour testing period tomorrow before they are shipped out.”

“Impressive” Dao-Shen Liao said one of the Capellan Confederation’s greatest restrictions was they only had two construction facilities for WarShips.  Compared to their neighbours the facilities in the Confederation couldn’t keep up with production.  However if they were able to build dozens of “Pocket WarShips” perhaps they could flood the space with combat vessels to overwhelm the larger WarShips.  “I am going to transfer a Wing of the Hell’s Black Aces to this system.  Their job will be to extensively test each of the DropShips that you pass on your quality control.”  He said “should they pass our requirements I will pass funding for an ammunition facility to be built in this system so you can complete the vessels here.”  He said “however if they fail you will…”

“I understand” the engineer said leaving Dao-shen’s point unsaid.

“You and your people have served the Confederation well and if your progress continues at the pace currently seen then perhaps we will approach your idea about a second station.”  He said showing that he had heard the engineer’s idea.

Lyran Counter Attack
Elba, Inarcs Theatre
Lyran Commonwealth
8th November 3106

A counter-attack launched by the Fourteenth Lyran Guards RCT and several small mercenary commands finds that the Stone Spirits have stripped their holdings to the bare minimum defences with Elba and Lushun being quickly overwhelmed by the Lyran’s front line unit.  Unfortunately their victory comes at a heavy price as the Stone Spirits Bonaventure-class Corvette jumps into the system almost ontop of the LCS Arthur Steiner-Davion while it charged its K-F Drive.  In close the Bonaventure is able to cause crippling damage to the Arthur Steiner-Davion even as the Fox’s autocannons, missiles and support vessels breach the Stone Spirit vessel’s hull.

Stone Spirit ground forces follow the Bonaveture into the systems and land on both Elba and Lushun causing heavy damage to the Fourteenth Lyran Guards RCT causing enough casualties to make the unit combat ineffective.  Although the Lyran High Command are displeased at the loss of another WarShip and at the casualties the Fourteenth had suffered they are pleased that Elba and Lushun are again Lyran holdings as it shows the public that the Stone Spirits can be resisted.

Kaumberg Theatre Militia Rapid Response Unit
Champadanga, Kaumberg Theatre
Lyran Commonwealth, Inner Sphere
11th November 3106

Kommandant Kelly Varnay looked through the binoculars as the Stone Spirits unloaded from their two Overlord-C DropShips on the tarmac below the mountain she was on. Judging from what she saw, she and her battalion were facing roughly two trinaries of heavy and assault BattleMechs, a trinary of armor, and a mere star of Elementals. She knew the Spirits had a Carrier DropShip containing a full star of aerospace fighters in orbit guarding their Invader-class JumpShip.

“Just confirmed it, Kommandant, those’re the Spirits Eleventh Assault Cluster,” Staff Sergeant Brian O’Malley quietly reported to her. “They were last reported on Kwangjong-ni by the Second Dismal Disinherited mercenary unit when they were buggin’ out.”

She gave an absent nod letting the Staff Sergeant know she heard him. “If they’re here, I’d bet my entire savings the Spirits be hitting Niangol and Krung Thep right about now, if they hadn’t done so already.”

“My thoughts as well, Staff Sergeant,” she replied back, not taking her eyes off the Spirits. “Doesn’t make sense why they are pushing this deep though,” she muttered a second later.

“They’re clanners, lass. They don’t exactly follow the norms, you know,” he remarked back. “They find a weakness and they be exploiting it and damn the consequences.”

“No. Their push is different. More methodical, more precise then it should be,” Kelly surmised as she pulled the binoculars away from her face. “Much more so. Hitting our border units with overwhelming fire power. Crippling the counter-attack at Elba but when they could destroy them they leave the unit, and system in our hands, before hitting our supplies on Millerton and mauling up the Ninth Commonwealth Guards before withdrawing.  And now they’re hitting us here.”

“You think the bastards be planning something major, lass,” Brian asked.

“I don’t know, Staff Sergeant. What planets can they want and realistically strike and hold,” she asked as she continued to look down from her perch in the mountain.

“The Dismal Disinherited retreated to Baryshevo. The Obsidian Lancers Brigade have been posted there ever since the mess on Lost,” Brian suggested. “Could be the Spirits decided enough’s enough and’ll be making an example out of them.”

She shook her head. “No. If that was the case, the Eleventh Assault would have shown up there, not here.”

“Loxley,” he asked her, causing her to shake her head again.  Loxley a contributer to the Lyran Commonwealth’s defence and it was a stepping stone towards a strike at Coventry.

“The Spirits have to go through Baryshevo to do that or risk five mercenary brigades in their rear. Or at least deploy one of their WarShips there to keep the mercs pinned planetside, yet they haven’t done that yet. And again, doesn’t exactly answer that cluster’s presence here.”

“Maybe Kaumberg, lass,” the older Staff Sergeant suggested a long moment later, causing her to turn and face him. “Just saying capturing the world be a nice catch for the Spirits. ‘Specifically with Rim Motors now on the planet and building it up.”

Kelly snorted at that, but didn’t say anything as she turned back to face the Stone Spirits below. Rim Motors very recent purchase of Wechsel Royal had been a small scandal, up until the Spirits started their blitz, the Rim Collection’s investment on Lyran soil had been big news in the Periphery theatres. She doubted the Spirits were that stupid it was too far out of their way, she judged. “If they weren’t going to Loxley, not hitting Baryshevo, and likely not hitting Kaumberg, where did it leave for the Spirits to go,” she asked out loud.

“Alarion maybe, ma’am,” Private Nicole Von Neidmann, a scout sniper posted nearby, inquired, causing Kelly to turn to her. She remembered the sniper was an Alarion native.

“Come on, lass,” Staff Sergeant Brian O’Malley sneered at the younger woman. “You can’t be that stupid can you? The Spirits can’t hit that deep.”

“With respect, Sarge, they could. You forget the other periphery units were pulled out to hold the Falcons at Arc Royal,” was the younger woman’s prim response.

Before the Staff Sergeant could say anything, Kelly decided to end the discussion.

“Whether or not the Spirits are pushing to Alarion is above all our pay-grades, Staff Sergeant, Private,” she reminded them. “Staff Sergeant, head back to HQ and fire up the mobile HPG. Let High Command know an Elite Stone Spirit cluster just landed and ask for instructions. Let them know we plan to somehow keep them here planet-side.”

The much older Lyran soldier looked like he might argue with Kelly, but thought better of it. “Right-o, lass. Just get back to base before sundown. I hear Eric and North are’a making some mean jambalaya,” he winked at her before getting up, leaving Kelly with Nicole and her fellow sniper, Bao.

“Pig,” Nicole commented underneath her breath. Kelly shook her head as she once again studied the Stone Spirits down below the mountain. Minutes passed before Kelly heard the still quiet male sniper sigh softly. Turning her attention to him, she noticed Nicole was motioning him about something.

“What is it,” she asked.

“Nikki here wants to know why you chose us, ma’am,” the quiet man asked, causing Kelly to glare at the two of them for a moment, before turning her attention to the Spirits.

A moment passed as Kelly decided whether to tell the two. “The FedRats have long memories,” she informed them sighing.

Nicole looked lost, but Bao nodded wisely. “Guessing when you were promoted, it was either us or a desk job,” he guessed quietly.

Kelly nodded absently. “I wasn’t even a year old when my father decided to launch his coup against the First Prince. Yet that didn’t stop him from exiling myself and my mother,” she remarked quietly to herself.  “And now, I am blacklisted in the Lyran military, all because of my last name and who my father was.”

Kelly felt a hand on her shoulder. Looking up, she looked into Boa’s brown eyes. “We are lucky to have you with us, ma’am,” he remarked to her. It was then she noticed she was crying softly.

He turned his head slightly downward. “And I think now is the time to prove to yourself you aren’t your father,” he noted, nodding to where the Stone Spirit DropShips lay. No armor or Mechs were around them, Kelly idly noted after looking through her binoculars.

Laying them down, she got up and grabbed her Mauser laser rifle. “Thanks, Corporal,” she remarked a smile on her face as she left the two snipers to continue their surveillance of the Stone Spirit DropShips.

Snow Raven Assault
Suianheer, Tabayama Prefecture
Midway Military District, Draconis Combine
12th November 3106

As Snow Raven ground forces burned towards the planet’s surface the Constellation, Clan Snow Raven’s newest WarShip and the first of her class, moved towards the two defending WarShips.  In the command centre Star Admiral Martin Lankenau watched as the Corvette and Destroyer moved towards the Raven ground forces and aerospace fighters from both sides engaged.  “Let us gain their attention, the Corvette first” he commanded as gunner stations on the bridge lined up the six hundred-and-eighty thousand ton vessel’s weapons on the enemy WarShips.

“Sir, our ground forces are leaving the WarShips engagement ranges the only way they will be able to hit them now is if they are willing to risk bombarding the surface.”  One of the bridge crew announced.

“Understood” Lankenau said as the Constellation’s forward array of naval lasers and light repeating naval gauss rifles engaged the enemy WarShips he was glad to see that most of the gauss rifle slugs slammed into the Inazuma smashing through its armour and into its internal structure causing enough damage for the lasers to finish off the Corvette.  “Have our DropShips remain close to us until we close on the enemy.”  He ordered as the Constellation turned.

“Sir, ground forces have engaged the Fifth and Sixth Midway Regulars on planet.”

“Very good inform them we will have air superiority within the hour.”  He said as naval autocannons, particle cannons and capital missiles struck the Constellation as the enemy Tatsumaki II, the DCS Onami turned on the Snow Raven vessel.

“Incoming brace of capital missiles fired from assault DropShips!”

“Point defences!  Release our DropShips and have them kill the launching vessels.”  He commanded watching the wave of capital missiles approaching the the Constellation.  From around the Constellation the four Arcadia-class DropShips charged down the enemy vessels one of the capital missiles locked onto one of the Arcadia’s striking the small vessel resulting in an immediate nuclear explosion.  “By the Father” Lankenau remarked seeing the explosion “roll us to port bring the broadside in line with the enemy DropShips ignore that Tatsumaki.”  He commanded as the Constellation’s thick anti-missile defences cut down the enemy capital missiles “to all of our DropShips ordinance from Constellation down range.”  He commanded hoping his warning would ensure no friendly DropShips were destroyed by the Constellation’s broadside.  Naval lasers cut through space cutting into the enemy vessels knocking three out of space allowing the Raven DropShips to deploy their ProtoMechs onto the hulls of the enemy vessels.

With the Constellation turned towards the DropShips it had allowed the enemy Tatsumaki II to close unleashing its full firepower on the Frigate’s nose as it passed by.  Explosions rippled across the Constellation’s hull as armour and weapons were destroyed by the destroyer’s flying pass.  “Pivot the nose away weapons stations fire at will on enemy vessel.”  He commanded as the Constellation’s nose dropped down away from the enemy target the two ships continued to exchange fire.  Weapon fire continued as the destroyed moved past the frigate the smaller ship trying to turn to keep its nose on the Snow Raven vessel as gauss rifle and laser fire tore through its armour.

“Their hull is breached in several locations” one of the Raven bridge crew announced looking at the enemy vessel’s sensor image “they cannot sustain much more damage.”

“Offer surrender they do not need to die today” Lankenau said even as weapons fire continued to be exchanged between the two naval titans but Lankenau’s offer came too late as the Tatsumaki II’s hull cracked open after sustaining another barrage of naval gauss rifle fire.
On the ground three clusters of elite Snow Raven warriors fought against the two DCMS line regiments pushing them back over and over again.  With the Ravens securing the space around Suianheer Raven aerospace fighters soon dominated the skies around the DCMS ground forces staffing defensive positions breaking up each attempt by the Midway Regulars to hold their ground.  In the space of six hours all ground and space resistance was over and Suianheer was a Snow Raven holding.

Elsewhere the second Constellation-class Frigate was taken over by its new owners members of Clan Coyote.  The frigate and a Drake-class Corvette would be traded to the Coyotes in exchange for vehicles, Mechs and a Potemkin-class Troop Cruiser which would allow all of the Raven ground units to be full mobile.

Kaumberg Theatre Militia Rapid Response Unit
Champadanga, Kaumberg Theatre
Lyran Commonwealth, Inner Sphere
17th November, 3106

Kelly Varnay watched in the small view screen in her helmet as she watched a trinary of Stone Spirit battlemechs begin loading up in one of their DropShips. Two she noticed stood guard outside. It was time, she decided to herself.

“Ferret Lead to all Fesnyng units. Let’s go hunting,” she ordered through her radio. Soon, she could see the accurate fire from all four of the Marksman artillery tanks in her unit began raining down on the two DropShips as she pushed her Wolfhound forward, leading the rest of her unit down the mountain.

Within minutes, they had reached the spaceport, where mangled Mechs were lying, just as the artillery from the four Marksman finally ended. The twelve Lyran light BattleMechs quickly terminated the remaining six damaged Mechs as the Cavalry VTOL helicopters hovered overhead. Another five minute passed before both DropShips were under their control.  “Call in the Prime Movers, Hamilton I want you to look out any local civilian transport we need to maximize what we can remove from here.  Grant, get the DropShip crews out and set the charges I want us gone before anyone else arrives.”

Just as quickly as they came, the Lyran irregular militia left moving back into the Fesnyng’s secret base in the mountains just as both wrecked DropShips exploded from the charges they had left inside them.  The damage the attack had done was enough it had caused the Stone Spirits to decide that Champadanga was too much trouble for its worth leaving the Kaumberg Militia Rapid Response Unit in charge of the planet.  Combined with the attacks on Elba and Lushun the Lyrans had again proven that they could resist and push back the Stone Spirits unfortunately it seemed the pirate clan continued to have fight in it.

Unfortunately even as the Lyrans celebrated pushing back the raiders once more a Stone Spirits showed why they should be so feared.  The flagship of the Stone Spirit force the General Stuart, an ancient Aegis-class Heavy Cruiser along with a Samarkand-class Light Carrier attacked and caused heavy damage to the LCS Morgan Kell, a Hyperion-class Heavy Cruiser, in the Elume system.  The Morgan Kell was able to withdraw to Elume’s orbit and link up with aerospace assets from the planet’s surface but the Stone Spirit attack showed the clan raiders would strike wherever they saw a threat.

SLDF Observation Post
Devil’s Rock, Star League’s Protectorate
24th November 3106

Alex stepped into the room near the wall Adam looked out the window watching their target through a pair of binoculars “where is Morgan?” she asked

“On the phone to command” Ralph said

“Again?” Alex asked “they are going to tell him the same thing.”  She said sinking into one of the chairs.

“Didn't hear him last night, Alex, it might have been the drink talking but he wants to go.  Seems like he’s willing to accept anything” Adam set not moving from the window watching for signs of wanted criminal Bobby Winchester.

“He won't leave he is his father son, 50 C bills he stays” Alex said pulling out a bill putting her money where her mouth was.

“I'm my father son, you’re a daughter of Terra, and Ralph well Ralph exists. I'll take your money you're on” Adam agreed

“I'll take some of that action” Ralph said handing over his own Bill just as Morgan stepped into the room.

“Morning boss” Alex said greeting an unshaven Morgan Christifori “anything new from command?” she asked hoping that maybe someone had decided to preach the Prochnow settlement.

“Negative we're to continue to observe” he said sounding resigned to the fate.

“Get your new assignment boss?” Adam asked continuing to watch at the window Alex shot the man an annoyed gaze not wanting the idea in their commander’s mind.

“They said I can have a transfer” Morgan said bringing a shocked look from Alex and even a glance from Adam before he looked back out the window. “But” he continued “they said you guys couldn't come with me and I've have to join a garrison unit for a bit until they sorted out where I belonged.”  He explained “so I said I'd stay put.  They did say that my next assignment would be one that I could get my arse shot off and are you could all join me” he announced with groans from them all money was exchanged between Adam and Alex “to stay or go” Morgan asked

“Always stay boss” Alex replied with a smile pocketing the cash.

Trade Mission
Tukayyid, Clan Space
Inner Sphere
31st November 3106

A quick shake of the head cleared the faint lingering nausea from the aftermath of the jump across the light years.  “Status” Captain Julie Leitner called out

“We’re here Ma’am, holding steady at Nadir point, 2.5 million clicks from edge of…Status change! We’re being actively targeted.” Her executive officer Dastan Buckley warned.

“Steady Mr Buckley, its just the security patrol.”

Captain Leitner sat back in her chair, adjusting the straps so they were no longer biting into her right shoulder.  A glance at the sensor display told her all she needed to see, still she was irritated at the rather young helmsman who had only joined the crew three weeks ago when Nikki came down with ‘a bout of shore leave’ and had to be left behind.

“Four other Jumpers at the point, we’ve got a dropper inbound, she’s locked onto us and hailing.”

“Put him through.”

The display screen flickered slightly and the image of a stern faced yet young looking man, dark skinned with his hair in loose bangs appeared.

“I am Star Captain Miles.  State your purpose in this system.”

‘Always so formal’  “Well met, I am Captain Julie Leitner, Commander of the JumpShip Pot Luck.  I am carrying two DropShips with cargo for Tukkayid.  We are expected.”

“Confirmed” he said a moment later “your vessel is on the roster for this week’s list of arrivals.  Hold your position and await boarding and inspection.  If you launch any DropShip or small craft we will fire into you.”  With that comms shut off.

“Are they always like that?”

“Hah, no, he was being polite!  The Ebon Guard are a very professional bunch, when they come over, do NOT piss them off, they are very trigger happy with their stunners and most of ‘em could kick your ass before you could say ‘I was only jokin’.”

“But you heard the man, station keeping, don’t move us a meter, let the DropShip crews know that they have an inspection coming.”

“What about their Captains?”

“We’re all vets here; they already know what’s coming.”

What was coming was a three hour long wait as the Clan DropShip a sleek black and silver vessel first docked with another JumpShip, a small Scout type ship, its DropShip proudly baring the orange and red rock symbol of Valdez Heavy Industries.  Only when Captain Leitner had dozed off in her chair did the docking alert sound.  A small shuttle was clamping onto the dorsal airlock, the craft was painted black and silver, just like its mother-ship. 

“Okay, game faces on people!  Attention all hands, we’ve got a customs crew on board, all crews are to report to the grav deck and for god’s sake, come unarmed and bring your bloody bio-metrics with you!  I don’t want a repeat of the last run here Steven…”

Most of the crew were already lounging on the Merchant’s small grav deck, a few running off back to their cabins to get their bio’s, small chips that acted as a universal passport, and far harder to forge or crack and edit.

The Captain and her XO though met the Clan borders at the airlock.  As it cycled open a heavily armoured and armed man stepped through, well, ducked in through the airlock, carrying a big ass assault laser rifle, imposing as all hell in his black armour.  Another Elemental entered and then they stood aside as another Clanner stepped onto the deck, it was the dark skinned man from earlier.

‘So damn young...’ he could not have been more than twenty years old, but he carried himself with the air of an older, more experienced veteran. 

“Star Captain Miles, welcome aboard the Pot Luck.”

“Captain Leitner, your vessel has been in this system eight times in the past four months, so you know the procedure.”

Julia smiled since the Solaris Agreement Tukayyid had been opened to trade the Sea Foxes hated the Inner Sphere and actively tried to purchase goods at local Inner Sphere trade points in an attempt to stop the traders coming here.  Each encounter with the Ebon Guard was the same she should be used to this by now but inwardly she sighed, even the customs and staff at New Avalon were not as anally retentive as the Clanners.  She’d met one of the Clanners on three trips they KNEW each other by face and name, but every time it was 100% professional, not going through the motions or just winging it.  Every check was deadly serious.  She handed over the inventory detailing the two attached DropShips cargo, as well as a full manifest of the crews details, that held their history for the past year.

Whilst this was going on a slimmed down quad battle armour clanked its way out of the shuttles airlock moving on magnetic claims, a potent looking array of sensors on its back.

“That’s new.”

“Aff. It will aid in the inspection.”

“I spotted; you spent three hours on that Scout, that’s a new record.” Captain Leitner said, smiling lightly before mentally kicking herself for trying a bit of humour.  The humour landed with all the grace of a falling Atlas and the three Clanners remained stony faced and stern looking. 

“Aff, we are working to improve efficiency.”

“Excellent! How long do you think it will take for this inspection to be complete?”

“No longer than five hours.”

‘FIVE ****** HOURS!?’ Leitner exclaimed in surprise “that is not too bad” she conceded covering quickly

“Aff.  Please stand aside Captain.”

Whilst Clan DropShip and JumpShips didn’t have to go through the intense customs investigations, Spheroid visitors to the Tukkayid system, no matter who and what went through the same thing.  The Clans were very careful with visitors coming to their new capital world.  Every DropShip was escorted down to the surface by Aerospace assets, if you diverted from your assigned landing corridor you could expect a shot across the bow.  Failure to return to course meant destruction moments later.

Spheroid DropShips landed at a spaceport far away from Andrey City, itself a fortress before your cargo was checked AGAIN but this time in the unloading. Usually taking another few hours whilst the Clans checked the orbital manifest with the one on the ground as well as running another bio scan of passengers and crew. Even leaving your ship was escorted all the way back to the JumpShips and the aero’s didn’t leave until you jumped out again.

The Battle armour turned out to have some kind of active probe and it was able to maneuver in zero-g thanks to thrusters along its legs and feet whilst the dozen Clanners on the shuttle went through the manifest, checking the crew, their background and history with a fine tooth comb. 
Still the view from orbit was magnificent.  Julia had been down to the planet twice and she could see the shipyards churning out DropShips and JumpShips, the off limits slips where WarShips were made as well as conglomerations of orbital factories.  The city of Andry itself was laid out in the same shape as the Cameron Star with the Hall of the Khan’s at the centre along with the massively fortified genetic repository.  The city was an avatar of Clan aesthetics and as one visitor had called it ‘a triumph in minimalist design’, white and grey stone or gleaming steel and glass buildings flanked wide roads whilst trees from worlds across Clan holdings as well as ancient Terran Oaks were dotted along the side of the roads whilst parks and artfully crafted water features helped beautify the city.  Statues were present aplenty, three statues of the Kerensky’s formed the main entrance to the Hall of the Khan’s whilst a fourth, more abstract one was said to represent Alexsandr Kerensky’s wife.  Still this was something that Spheroids rarely saw, this was the Clan’s city, diplomats and trade envoys were permitted but merchant ship captains. Certainly not.

But Captain Leitner would not be going to the surface this week.  No for her it was a case of sat in orbit, enduring close passes by Clanner Aerospace jocks and DropShips whilst waiting for the slow process of unloading to finish.  ‘Fun times’.
« Last Edit: 21 November 2016, 21:12:03 by Dragon Cat »

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Last Edit: 11 November 2016, 20:02:42 by Dragon Cat »