Author Topic: BattleTech: Clan Invasion Kickstarter Discussion, Vol. 1  (Read 175560 times)

pheonixstorm

• Major
Re: BattleTech: Clan Invasion Kickstarter is LIVE
« Reply #1620 on: 20 July 2019, 15:10:04 »
Right now I am BLOODNAMED but considering an upgrade to Star Colonel. 6 doubled lance packs is toooooooo tempting to pass up. 2 Marauder packs, 2 Warhammer packs, 1 with Longbow, 1 with Crusader, and final one with Dire Wolf. May pop for the one with the Hellbringer as well as an add-on unless future stretch goals give another star/lance pack. Plus I would be getting a 5 salvage boxes so no telling what I would get there. Oh and the styrene neoprene map too. Got plastic on the brain...
« Last Edit: 20 July 2019, 15:13:33 by pheonixstorm »

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #1621 on: 20 July 2019, 15:13:56 »
Re: the character naming, it would be hilarious (to me) if this Kickstarter were used to (re)canonize Galaxy Commander Ilnay Techus, the apocryphal Smoke Jaguar Commander on Luthien from The Crescent Hawk’s Revenge.
I like your line of thinking!
That said, the named characters will presumably require no small amount of factchecking before they can be greenlit, presumably on an individual basis. People might try to pass... shtuff... in under the radar like Ilnay Techus. I'm all for canonizing him, but without breaking or retconning other canon please.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1622 on: 20 July 2019, 15:18:40 »
People might try to pass... shtuff...

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

BlCharger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1623 on: 20 July 2019, 15:19:03 »
I think he meant he wanted all 6 of them, which would be $200 all told.

Yeah, I could have been a bit clearer there. That's what I meant. Decisions, decisions.

With Star Colonel, I'm getting 3 Clan and 3 IS packs as my freebies. I can build a nice Ghost Bear binary or trinary iI want to, even a supernova with the elementals I'm buying. Some mixing and matching can get me some good IS faction companies, too, with what I already have combined with the packs.
"The Ghost Bears are one big, happy family. I am the crazy, fun loving aunt." - Star Captain Peri Rand.
"You can't write history without including mankind's incessant need to kill one another." - Dr. Jessica Kimball (Hopefully soon to be my canon character)

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #1624 on: 20 July 2019, 15:30:30 »
Yeah, I could have been a bit clearer there. That's what I meant. Decisions, decisions.

With Star Colonel, I'm getting 3 Clan and 3 IS packs as my freebies. I can build a nice Ghost Bear binary or trinary iI want to, even a supernova with the elementals I'm buying. Some mixing and matching can get me some good IS faction companies, too, with what I already have combined with the packs.

Do it!!! ....im not biased at all! ;D
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

The_Livewire

• Warrant Officer
    • The Livewire's Battletech Blog
« Reply #1625 on: 20 July 2019, 15:31:19 »
Right now I am BLOODNAMED but considering an upgrade to Star Colonel. 6 doubled lance packs is toooooooo tempting to pass up. 2 Marauder packs, 2 Warhammer packs, 1 with Longbow, 1 with Crusader, and final one with Dire Wolf. May pop for the one with the Hellbringer as well as an add-on unless future stretch goals give another star/lance pack. Plus I would be getting a 5 salvage boxes so no telling what I would get there. Oh and the styrene neoprene map too. Got plastic on the brain...

Yeah, it's making my credit card whimper too.  I see lots of OT in the next two weeks...
Alamo - When you care enough to send the very best.

And Purifiers *still* suck.

Now doing battletech blogging
https://livewire2112.blogspot.com/search/label/Battletech

RomulusDC

• Corporal
« Reply #1626 on: 20 July 2019, 15:47:00 »
It seems like unlocking. Dice and a coin wouldn’t really scream “million dollar$!”  Maybe a Gencon announcement for Comstar!

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1627 on: 20 July 2019, 15:52:02 »
It seems like unlocking. Dice and a coin wouldn’t really scream “million dollar$!”

All backers are eligible to win a bt-themed paintball gun shootout hosted by Brent Evans in his house

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Kles

• Corporal
« Reply #1628 on: 20 July 2019, 16:05:55 »
I’m currently at Star Colonel and I have to keep looking things over. I’m super tempted to go up to Galaxy Commander. The extra Stars/Lances, the extra challenge coins. Plus then there is the artwork instead of just having a named character.  At least I have some time to decide still.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #1629 on: 20 July 2019, 16:13:21 »
All backers are eligible to win a bt-themed paintball gun shootout hosted by Brent Evans in his house

Guess he needs help with interior paining? ? ? ? ? *edit* stupid smileys...

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #1630 on: 20 July 2019, 16:44:21 »
I wish I could of donated more that what I did. But summer months are expensive.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #1631 on: 20 July 2019, 17:33:32 »
I loadad the short fiction A New Game  into my nook. Interestingly, the thumbnail is the cover of the Fire for Effect anthology.
I have spoken.

PyreLight

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1632 on: 20 July 2019, 17:51:38 »
Okay, I have to say: major, major compliments to whoever at CGL who decided to excavate this old artwork. I have no idea how you had it lying around and able to pull it out in decent quality. This made me so happy to see:

I'm almost about to cry, it's that perfect to see.

Xiwo Xerase

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1633 on: 20 July 2019, 18:23:17 »
Is there an announcement I missed where they would split up the doubled forces?

Last I heard, with Star Colonel, you get 4 pairs of Star/Lance Packs (three from the reward level, one from the Orbital Drop stretch goal at $500,001), not eight single packs.  So you can get, say, four Clan Star Packs and four IS Lance Packs, but only two types of packs.  (So, say, 2 Command Stars and 2 Striker Stars, not 4 single Star Packs.)

Edit: Post based on erroneous information.  Nothing to see here.
« Last Edit: 20 July 2019, 18:35:06 by Xiwo Xerase »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #1634 on: 20 July 2019, 18:24:45 »

No, and they repeatedly announced that they would not.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #1635 on: 20 July 2019, 18:26:27 »

Last I heard, with Star Colonel, you get 4 pairs of Star/Lance Packs (three from the reward level, one from the Orbital Drop stretch goal at $500,001), not eight single packs.  So you can get, say, four Clan Star Packs and four IS Lance Packs, but only two types of packs.  (So, say, 2 Command Stars and 2 Striker Stars, not 4 single Star Packs.)

Star Colonel gets a base of 5 packs and then the Dropship gave them another to double instead of Salvage Boxes- so (5+1)x2.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Xiwo Xerase

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1636 on: 20 July 2019, 18:30:36 »
Star Colonel gets a base of 5 packs and then the Dropship gave them another to double instead of Salvage Boxes- so (5+1)x2.
Oh I see!  I'm wrong!  Thanks!

(To clarify: My notes on the KS, which I used for reference, include all of the rewards for the Bloodnamed level and then the Star Colonel section is the difference between the two packages.  I misread the differences as being the entire offering.  I should probably stop posting while I'm busy with work stuff...)

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #1637 on: 20 July 2019, 18:40:59 »
I believe that's also been upped to 6 via Orbital Drop at 500k.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Robroy

• Lieutenant
  • Not named, but not gone. Maybe.
« Reply #1638 on: 20 July 2019, 18:50:13 »
Is there a trick to downloading .epub or .mobi to Fire tablets? If keeps saying "can't open file"

Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Way (Tao) to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed"-Sun Tzu

"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"-Sun Tzu

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #1639 on: 20 July 2019, 19:16:35 »
I like your line of thinking!
That said, the named characters will presumably require no small amount of factchecking before they can be greenlit, presumably on an individual basis. People might try to pass... shtuff... in under the radar like Ilnay Techus. I'm all for canonizing him, but without breaking or retconning other canon please.

Easy enough - put in the actual galaxy Commander that was taken down and note that, due to a concussion, he gave his name to Takashi Kurita as Ilnay Techus, resulting in massive dishonor for his bloodline (Techus not being a legit bloodname.)

Chiun (first name never given) would also be a fun character to get canonized and flesh out.  Googling, the name apparently appears in the Bible as an evil heathen god linked to the star of Remphan.  Just begs for a bio of “Tai-sa Remphan Chiun.”
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

kinwolf

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1640 on: 20 July 2019, 19:21:11 »
Is there a trick to downloading .epub or .mobi to Fire tablets? If keeps saying "can't open file"

Make sure you click on the .epub in the dropbox and that you do not do "save as download" on the link.  The link actually open another .epun that is the right one(couple megs.)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1641 on: 20 July 2019, 19:23:37 »
The choose your own adventure lance/stars have to be the end of the line for minis, right? Barring another improbable leap in funding?

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #1642 on: 20 July 2019, 19:41:33 »
Just posted another update. They're adding 10 more "Full Kerensky" slots.

Man, I wish I had 5 grand just laying around... XD

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1643 on: 20 July 2019, 19:44:45 »
I could do it but I would probably come home to find my key no longer works

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #1644 on: 20 July 2019, 19:47:56 »

You and me both.....  >:D

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #1645 on: 20 July 2019, 19:51:17 »
If I sprung for one, I'd probably get evicted due to missing the rent.

Which might not be completely bad since I wouldn't have enough room for all that stuff here anyway.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Niopsian

• Lieutenant
  • I dunno.
« Reply #1646 on: 20 July 2019, 19:51:25 »

Not gonna do it.

Wouldn't be prudent.  ;D

...cut a manager in to come up with a plan and the next thing you know you're big in Japan

General308

• Captain
« Reply #1647 on: 20 July 2019, 19:52:20 »
I am really conflicted right now. At Star Colonel, I get a free Faction pack. However, I am a fan of several factions -
Blood Spirits, Ghost Bears, Lyrans, Davions, Mariks, and Kuritas.

I don't know which one to choose. Another $200 is sadly out of the question for me.

The faction packs could get me in trouble.   I will get Marik for me but getting that means I have to get my wife the Drac one or I will have to answer questions I don't want to answer.   I would also consider Comstar and WoB if they came out.    I  will also be getting the Not Named Clan just to stick it to clan players......Wolverine's are coming Clanners…   

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1648 on: 20 July 2019, 19:54:35 »
I was conflicted until they added IS faction packs. Now it’s all purple all the way

General308

• Captain
« Reply #1649 on: 20 July 2019, 20:07:44 »
If they do Comstar or WoB they should do Robes or at lest Hoddies intead of teeshirts

Register