Author Topic: Mikasa Battleship and an Unusual Crosscut  (Read 1070 times)

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
Mikasa Battleship and an Unusual Crosscut
« on: 30 October 2020, 02:37:07 »
So, I bought a 1/1100 Mikasa model off eBay, and it happens to be close to map scale.  In true map scale, at 131.7 meters, it should be a hair over 4 hexes long, rather than just under four:

Of course, there's not a 4-hex large naval vessel template, so you'd probably have to fudge it as a Class C, 5-hex ship:

That's the assumption I went with when I made up stats for my Mikasa Dai-Ni Patrol Battleship. ;)

Next up, having seen Jhoudsan's wonderful Crosscuts, which inspired me to finish writing my WorkMech Wednesday on it, I dug out one of my own oddball MWDA ForestryMech conversions, holding one of my son's Lego katanas:

And here's an Optimus Prime keychain (with the keychain part removed) for scale:

Note, this is no way implying that Groundwave from my story Exile in Syberia is gonna find a sword-swinging Crosscut, or end up a sword-swinging Crosscut.  But it's not a denial, either.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Jhousdan

• Sergeant
Re: Mikasa Battleship and an Unusual Crosscut
« Reply #1 on: 30 October 2020, 05:51:37 »
So, I bought a 1/1100 Mikasa model off eBay, and it happens to be close to map scale.  In true map scale, at 131.7 meters, it should be a hair over 4 hexes long, rather than just under four:

Of course, there's not a 4-hex large naval vessel template, so you'd probably have to fudge it as a Class C, 5-hex ship:

That's the assumption I went with when I made up stats for my Mikasa Dai-Ni Patrol Battleship. ;)

Next up, having seen Jhoudsan's wonderful Crosscuts, which inspired me to finish writing my WorkMech Wednesday on it, I dug out one of my own oddball MWDA ForestryMech conversions, holding one of my son's Lego katanas:

And here's an Optimus Prime keychain (with the keychain part removed) for scale:

Note, this is no way implying that Groundwave from my story Exile in Syberia is gonna find a sword-swinging Crosscut, or end up a sword-swinging Crosscut.  But it's not a denial, either.

I could see a good story about a dishonored Kuritan expatriate with that crosscut holding the katana... i like it!

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Mikasa Battleship and an Unusual Crosscut
« Reply #2 on: 30 October 2020, 15:12:01 »
 :thumbsup:

Register