Author Topic: NEW RELEASE: Core Rulebooks - New Printings  (Read 26755 times)

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
NEW RELEASE: Core Rulebooks - New Printings
« on: 26 March 2018, 19:47:46 »
The classic BattleTech rules, back in print!

Get back to the battlefield with this new printing of Total Warfare, the essential and complete rules for standard games of BattleTech.

Following its debut at Origins Game Fair, the new printing of Total Warfare will be available online and through local game stores at the end of July.

Adorned with a cover featuring a classic piece of BattleTech art, this new printing incorporates all current errata from previous editions of Total Warfare. It maintains the layout scheme of past printings of the book. However, it includes the first installment of an all-new image for the popular "spine art" of core rulebooks.

« Last Edit: 14 July 2018, 07:57:25 by Cubby »
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

abou

• Captain
NEW RELEASE: Total Warfare - 5th Printing
« Reply #1 on: 13 June 2018, 22:48:19 »
It may not be something brand new, but the BattleTech Facebook page just uploaded images of the new Total Warfare 5th edition. It even has a new throwback cover to the first Compendium.

JadedFalcon

• Lieutenant
  • Wins at Battleteching
Re: NEW RELEASE: Total Warfare - 5th Printing
« Reply #2 on: 13 June 2018, 23:16:19 »
It may not be something brand new, but the BattleTech Facebook page just uploaded images of the new Total Warfare 5th edition. It even has a new throwback cover to the first Compendium.

Thrifty!

Interesting what it says on the bottom-right of the book cover.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #3 on: 13 June 2018, 23:43:23 »
Thrifty!

Interesting what it says on the bottom-right of the book cover.

Core Game Rules? That's what TW has always said? Or am I missing something?

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

JadedFalcon

• Lieutenant
  • Wins at Battleteching
« Reply #4 on: 14 June 2018, 00:43:47 »
Core Game Rules? That's what TW has always said? Or am I missing something?

There was some thread on the forum where people were asking for more labels like that on the books. Haven't seen a Catalyst-made Total Warfare in a while, didn't know they were labeled like that.

I guess we'll see more throwback art on the new editions of Tech Manual and other core books?
« Last Edit: 14 June 2018, 00:45:44 by JadedFalcon »

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #5 on: 14 June 2018, 00:48:11 »
Good way to save on the art budget :D I really like that art of the Atlas by the way :thumbsup:
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 14 June 2018, 01:39:02 »
I find it weird how the cover simply states "Total Warfare", and nothing about 2nd Edition or Update or the like, yet has a new (or at least different) cover.

I can see why they would switch to the new logo that originated with HBS, to make it a unified brand, but I liked how the previous rulebook covers and spines aligned to produce a single image - it served to drive home the point that they were individual components of one huge integrated ruleset. Now this new cover looks like they're fracturing that ruleset.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #7 on: 14 June 2018, 03:00:00 »
I find it weird how the cover simply states "Total Warfare", and nothing about 2nd Edition or Update or the like, yet has a new (or at least different) cover.

I can see why they would switch to the new logo that originated with HBS, to make it a unified brand, but I liked how the previous rulebook covers and spines aligned to produce a single image - it served to drive home the point that they were individual components of one huge integrated ruleset. Now this new cover looks like they're fracturing that ruleset.

Don't know about the SPINE yet....
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #8 on: 14 June 2018, 06:10:38 »

That is some good stuff there. Origins dont open until 10a est today. Maybe more later today.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 14 June 2018, 06:39:18 »
At this point, the only new stuff is for the Dragonfire game. As far as other CGL products go, there doesn't appear anything new for BT, Shadowrun or any of their other games.

Shadowrun has their reprinted rule book and "Street Lethal" here at Origins. For Battletech we have the 5th printing Total Warfare. And Dragonfire has three supplements.
« Last Edit: 14 June 2018, 07:06:54 by Bosefius »
Catalyst Demo Agent #221, Huntington, WV

It's times like this I ask myself "What would Jabba the Hutt do?"

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #10 on: 14 June 2018, 06:42:40 »
I may pickup the Total Warfare book up just sake of me not having walk around with the book with printed PDFs of the errants so i can fend off people giving me crap about rule changes.  :P

EDIT: No Sign of the new print on the CGL store sadly.  :-\
My gut feelings is THAT will be at Gencon. I just hope it's not the only thing.
« Last Edit: 14 June 2018, 06:44:55 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #11 on: 14 June 2018, 07:37:18 »
my current copy of tw is the first cgl printing from 2007 so i'll definitely pick that up. they said 3rd quarter for a release window so that could be as late as the end of september

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #12 on: 14 June 2018, 09:03:22 »

New Logo?  You talking about what was done with the A?  That symbol has been in PC BT since MechCommander, it was the symbol for running.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Heavyguard

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 14 June 2018, 09:17:08 »

On the facebook page they (CGL) mentioned that it is a new spine image.  8)

abou

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 14 June 2018, 10:03:34 »
When you think about it, it is a good sign that the core rulebook is on its fifth printing. The brand clearly has held interest among gamers for a decade since the first printing.

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #15 on: 14 June 2018, 10:40:25 »
The classic BattleTech rules, back in print!

Get back to the battlefield with this new printing of Total Warfare, the essential and complete rules for standard games of BattleTech.

Following its debut at Origins Game Fair, the new printing of Total Warfare will be available online and through local game stores at the end of July.

Adorned with a cover featuring a classic piece of BattleTech art, this new printing incorporates all current errata from previous editions of Total Warfare. It maintains the layout scheme of past printings of the book. However, it includes the first installment of an all-new image for the popular "spine art" of core rulebooks.

« Last Edit: 14 June 2018, 11:00:17 by Cubby »

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #16 on: 14 June 2018, 11:03:40 »
On the facebook page they (CGL) mentioned that it is a new spine image.  8)

Yes, new spine image.

Shadowrun has their reprinted rule book and "Street Lethal" here at Origins. For Battletech we have the 5th printing Total Warfare. And Dragonfire has three supplements.

Our man on the con floor!

It's a fifth "printing." Incorporates errata, but doesn't fundamentally change any of the rules. To my marketing brain, when you start branding things with "edition" or "update," people are going to expect something more sweeping. This just isn't that.

This book has the first installment of a new spine art image. How many installments there will be is not currently known.

As a book, Total Warfare serves the same purpose it always has, the core rulebook for BT tabletop.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 14 June 2018, 12:48:52 »
I'm not sure that retro art is ideal in today's market. I do like it, but i'm weird.
Oh, well, not my problem.

Now, to decide if i need a physical TW book or not... BMM does fulfill my needs for most part, hmm.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #18 on: 14 June 2018, 12:53:36 »
Hmmm... I had thought I was done buying physical books, but now I need to reconsider...  :-\

The_Livewire

• Warrant Officer
    • The Livewire's Battletech Blog
« Reply #19 on: 14 June 2018, 13:11:53 »
So the 250 C-Bill question... how much?
Alamo - When you care enough to send the very best.

And Purifiers *still* suck.

Now doing battletech blogging
https://livewire2112.blogspot.com/search/label/Battletech

Dmon

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #20 on: 14 June 2018, 14:52:32 »
First new release in 9 months. I assume it has some pretty big changes after so long.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 14 June 2018, 14:54:14 »
Yes, your estimate is correct. ;)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #22 on: 14 June 2018, 15:06:33 »
First new release in 9 months. I assume it has some pretty big changes after so long.

eratta 5.0. if they went bananas, maybe some of the wording changes from BMM

i presume the 9 month freeze on any releases was to 1) get the box sets ready to roll and 2) build a strategy for sustainable product support
« Last Edit: 14 June 2018, 15:09:06 by Sartris »

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 14 June 2018, 15:24:16 »

$39.99 USD according to the one sitting on the desk in my hotel room.

If I had to guess, I'd say the spine art is the classic TRO 3050 cover.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #24 on: 14 June 2018, 15:25:34 »
this guy? nice

I wonder what they'll use for the other core book covers...
« Last Edit: 14 June 2018, 15:30:38 by Sartris »

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 14 June 2018, 15:39:04 »
That's the one!  The one on this one looks like it's got the front fifth or so of the missile racks.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #26 on: 14 June 2018, 16:14:24 »
Hmm. I still need Interstellar Ops, but it's probably $300 by now. My Total Warfare is pretty old - I think it's the first CGL printing - so I'll go ahead and pick this up when it's in general circulation.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
« Reply #27 on: 14 June 2018, 16:27:42 »
First run fanpro/wizkids printing here.

But PDFs help and I use bmm for a lot.
No-Dachi has a counter-argument. Nothing further? Ok.
Demo team agent #772

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #28 on: 14 June 2018, 16:58:42 »
I'm not sure that retro art is ideal in today's market. I do like it, but i'm weird.
Oh, well, not my problem.

Yeah, I don't think this was the best choice for the first book. If I knew nothing of battletech and saw that on the cover, I'd probably pass by.  More so if I only new battletech from the video games. "What's this?  Are they trying to rip off mechwarrior online?"

Now as something like a con exclusive or some other kind of collectible, I could totally see it.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #29 on: 14 June 2018, 17:01:52 »
First run fanpro/wizkids printing here.

But PDFs help and I use bmm for a lot.

I've got the leatherbound and regular Fanpro ones, so not averse to buying a new one.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan