Author Topic: Crusader 7K, what is with the head?  (Read 3591 times)

StoneRhino

• Captain
Crusader 7K, what is with the head?
« on: 19 August 2016, 11:33:39 »
I opened up the blister of a 7k that I picked up a few months back and was puzzled by the head. The head has a little nub at the bottom of it that seems to be used to connect it to the torso. However, what appears to be the top, and front, of the torso has a massive crater where the half of the head sinks into it, which looks nothing like the IWM site's picture.

Did I get a defective mini, or is a part missing? The head would sit half way into the hole and barely peak out. Even if I were to pin the head into place I would need to fill in the rest of the hole. I was confused since it seems like the hole was meant to be that big. Any help would be appreciated as I'd like to spam people with some MRM love soon... >:D

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
Re: Crusader 7K, what is with the head?
« Reply #1 on: 19 August 2016, 11:57:11 »
If you can snap some pics that could be helpful. It's been several years since I've worked on a Crud, and I don't remember if there were issues with its head/torso connection.

Checking the various entries on CSO yields a fair degree of variation in head position. It may be that the ball has always been significantly smaller than the socket. Some of that may be from casting, both from smaller parts shrinking more noticeably and from what angle the torso was cast. Does yours sit something like this one? http://www.camospecs.com/Miniature/Details/382/crusader-cdr-5k

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #2 on: 19 August 2016, 14:33:21 »
I just finished assembling one a couple of weeks ago and haven't primed it yet- I'll grab a photo when I get home from work later today.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

StoneRhino

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 24 August 2016, 05:30:42 »
If you can snap some pics that could be helpful. It's been several years since I've worked on a Crud, and I don't remember if there were issues with its head/torso connection.

Checking the various entries on CSO yields a fair degree of variation in head position. It may be that the ball has always been significantly smaller than the socket. Some of that may be from casting, both from smaller parts shrinking more noticeably and from what angle the torso was cast. Does yours sit something like this one? http://www.camospecs.com/Miniature/Details/382/crusader-cdr-5k

Thanks for the responses.The mini in the Camospecs link that was posted above is what my mini appears to be, a scared version of what is shown on IWM's site. The mini on IWM's site looks very different: http://ironwindmetals.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=1700

They do not appear to have another PP Crusader, so I wonder where there is such a difference. One is sunken into the chest while the other sits above the chest without some massive crater in it.

Crimson Dynamo

• Lieutenant
  • Opening hearts, minds, and throats since 2807
« Reply #4 on: 24 August 2016, 18:43:03 »
Mine sank in pretty well too. I actually used a bit of greenstuff to shallow the torso connection port to let the head sit at a more natural level.

« Last Edit: 24 August 2016, 18:50:37 by Crimson Dynamo »
"Well, I do, Marcus, and rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads. If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched. There are no flags in the MAC."
"And there never will be," Barton said, nodding his head in agreement.

"You guys are facing a freaking Shadow Division! These guys have strict policies against playing fair!"

"I don’t care. Kill them. I planned the defense so I know it will work. If they claim otherwise, they’re cowards. Any step back is a betrayal of me, and saying they don’t have enough men is just an excuse for incompetence and disloyalty. Tell the Krypteia to do it if you’re too soft but get it done." -Emperor Stefan Ukris Amaris I

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #5 on: 24 August 2016, 18:50:22 »
They do not appear to have another PP Crusader, so I wonder where there is such a difference. One is sunken into the chest while the other sits above the chest without some massive crater in it.
One would assume that the artist who built and painted the mini shown on IWM's website chose to elevate the head a little. The lower-set head matches the TRO artwork and therefore is more likely the way it was sculpted. Should you prefer to customize your mini with a raised head, it is very easy to fill the chest cavity a bit when attaching the piece.