Author Topic: Upcoming Releases Volume XIV: Aw, what's in the box!!?  (Read 171282 times)

Greatclub

• Captain
Re: Upcoming Releases Volume XIV: Aw, what's in the box!!?
« Reply #1200 on: 06 July 2019, 14:11:17 »
The local distributor lists it as "In stock (new)"

OTOH, they also think combat manual Davion is coming out soon, and that product is currently dead. 
« Last Edit: 07 July 2019, 12:51:59 by Greatclub »

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #1201 on: 06 July 2019, 15:11:49 »
Keep in mind that my local distributor had me down for the Clan Box vs AGoAC a few months back.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #1202 on: 06 July 2019, 15:21:11 »
Amazon is NEVER a good source for Battletech release dates.

There are two kinds of release dates: Ones that chime directly from CGL, and bald-faced lies.

IOW "There are no release dates"
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #1203 on: 06 July 2019, 20:03:50 »
Amazon is NEVER a good source for Battletech release dates.

There are two kinds of release dates: Ones that chime directly from CGL, and bald-faced lies.
So, Comstar?
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #1204 on: 07 July 2019, 20:49:34 »
Update on Alpha Strike Commander's Edition, TechManual Reprint, Box Set and BattleMats

With the BattleTech: Clan Invasion Kickstarter less than two weeks away,, we wanted to clear the decks and provide updates on a few recently-released and upcoming products.

Here’s what’s new for BattleTech:

--The reprint of TechManual boasting the 35th anniversary vintage cover is now available in print, PDF, and combo formats on the Catalyst Game Labs store.

--Alpha Strike: Commander’s Edition has a street date of Wednesday, July 10, 2019 and will be available from the Catalyst Game Labs store and through traditional distribution at that time.

--The BattleTech: A Game of Armored Combat boxed set is back in stock in the Catalyst Game Labs store, and will be making its way back into distribution to retailers as before.

--Another reprint of the BattleTech Beginner Box is making its way to our U.S. fulfillment center. A full restock is expected by mid- to late-August.

--Thanks to the brisk sales and enthusiasm for the recent series of BattleMats, we’re pleased to announce that a full re-order of all four previously-released mats has been placed. They will be available in the Catalyst Game Labs store and in retail stores by October.

« Last Edit: 07 July 2019, 21:29:11 by Cubby »
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

Two Guns Blazing

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1205 on: 07 July 2019, 20:54:56 »
Fantastic news Cubby, thanks for the heads-up. I've got my ASCE on pre-order and am very excited to get my hands on it.

In regards to the TechManual (or anything really), that is purchased from the CGL webstore with an international destination, is there a possibility that you guys might be able to investigate cheaper postage options. The cheapest postage option to purchase the TechManual is considerably more than the book itself.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #1206 on: 07 July 2019, 21:06:52 »

--Thanks to the brisk sales and enthusiasm for the recent series of BattleMats, we’re pleased to announce that a full re-order of all four previously-released mats has been placed. They will be available in the Catalyst Game Labs store and in retail stores by October.

This is fantastic news.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Hayden.

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1207 on: 07 July 2019, 22:21:27 »
Sooooooo excited to get my hands on ASCE!
Hayden

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1208 on: 07 July 2019, 22:37:32 »

--The reprint of TechManual boasting the 35th anniversary vintage cover is now available in print, PDF, and combo formats on the Catalyst Game Labs store.
Can someone clue me in on the reason for the 'new' cover art?

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #1209 on: 07 July 2019, 22:41:23 »
It's the 35th Anniversary of BT plus that was the cover, IIRC, for the Tactical Handbook, the predecessor for the Tech Manual
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1210 on: 07 July 2019, 22:47:40 »
They all have retro art

TW - BattleTech Manual
TM - Tactical Handbook
TO - CityTech, 2nd Ed
SO - BattleForce, 1st Ed

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #1211 on: 08 July 2019, 03:53:41 »
Such great news. Just waiting for the go order.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
« Reply #1212 on: 08 July 2019, 08:09:33 »

In regards to the TechManual (or anything really), that is purchased from the CGL webstore with an international destination, is there a possibility that you guys might be able to investigate cheaper postage options. The cheapest postage option to purchase the TechManual is considerably more than the book itself.

Having had to recently mail a few things internationally, the shipping rates they are charging are not by any stretch out of line with what it actually costs these days.  This is from the USPS International Mail Rate chart:

Australia is Group 3.  Plus you ahve to factor in the filling out of the customs form and costs of packaging, etc.  Those things ain't free.
« Last Edit: 08 July 2019, 08:26:17 by Charlie Tango »
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

Two Guns Blazing

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1213 on: 08 July 2019, 08:40:49 »
Having had to recently mail a few things internationally, the shipping rates they are charging are not by any stretch out of line with what it actually costs these days.

I'm sorry mate, but you're dead wrong...

On the Miniature Market shopping cart I just ordered the ASCE book to do a test run through their cart to see what postage options I have. I was given four postage options, the cheapest of which was almost 1/3rd the cost of CGL's cheapest option and the most expensive option was FedEx and that was $31.50 USD...FedEx with CGL is $284.95 USD...

Also, the dude in the link below is getting charged $50 USD to have a T-Shirt posted to him. I've bought multiple items of clothing from the US on ebay and it is less than $20 USD to have it shipped to me.

I believe you when you relate your postage experiences to me, however my experiences are very different to yours.

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=65889.msg1518738#new

Below are two screen captures. The first is from CGL online store for the Techmanual. The second is the Miniature Market online store for the ASCE. I can only imagine that the CGL store would charge me the same postage for the ASCE as it would for the Techmanual.

Check out the price differences in postage, and the amount of options available...1st world problems I know, but I think it would benefit CGL to investigate their postage costs, as they might sell more stuff from their store to international buyers if they could organise better postage costs.

« Last Edit: 08 July 2019, 08:51:31 by Two Guns Blazing »

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1214 on: 08 July 2019, 09:05:09 »
NM. already covered.
« Last Edit: 08 July 2019, 09:40:58 by nckestrel »
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1215 on: 08 July 2019, 09:23:27 »

I would bet that with Miniature Market they are eating some of the International Shipping cost.

They may be able to negotiate with someone like FedEx to get a reduced rate due to volume(?), but I'm still willing to bet dollars to donuts that Miniature Market is eating some of that cost (like places that give you "free shipping on purchases over $XX amount" do).

In the immortal words of Robert Heinlein, "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch."
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #1216 on: 08 July 2019, 09:41:43 »

I would bet that with Miniature Market they are eating some of the International Shipping cost.

They may be able to negotiate with someone like FedEx to get a reduced rate due to volume(?), but I'm still willing to bet dollars to donuts that Miniature Market is eating some of that cost (like places that give you "free shipping on purchases over $XX amount" do).

In the immortal words of Robert Heinlein, "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch."
One more anecdotal example, Costco (a US warehouse store) offers free shipping on most of the large items on its website. A mattress I was looking to buy was $200 online. In my local store it was $150. I've seen similar pricing on other large items, they basically build the shipping in to the base price.

This is just to say some places build in the shipping costs to offer "free" shipping, others eat shipping costs to get business.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #1217 on: 08 July 2019, 11:35:28 »
I just pre-ordered mine. I never pre-ordered a Battletech book before so hopefully all is well at least better than before.
I did do the pdf-book combo before where the PDF was no problem...but the actual book took much much longer..than even after the street date.
I will not be going to Gencon this year for the running of the nerds and pick my book live, so had to try the.

On a separate note...I have seen the free shipping option before on stores before...that usually only works with domestic orders. Dont get that bonus for International orders.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #1218 on: 08 July 2019, 12:29:42 »
Mini. Market do allot more shipping so they have negotiated business discounts with shippers to get their exclusive business.

Also considering the discounts they always seem to have, I wouldn't be surprised if they are taking a hit to gain more customers. It's what made Walmart a household name back in the day.

That said, I owe my FLGS a call. Support your local business 😀
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #1219 on: 08 July 2019, 12:33:59 »
Yeah, time to mention the return of GoAC box and put in a request for one finally . . .
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #1220 on: 08 July 2019, 18:08:21 »

No word on the paper map set, eh? My FLGS wiffed on that pre-order for me.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

kinwolf

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1221 on: 08 July 2019, 18:15:45 »

One of the main reason why Catalyst Store price are so high is that they do not offer the cheapest choice.  For some unknown reason, the option to choose USPS First-Class Package International Service is not there.  That option is a good 10$ less on most packages.  Example:  a 2.2 pound(1Kg) 13*13*10 inches box would cost 26$ to ship to my place(Canada). but it's a whooping 40$ with Priority Mail International.  And from experience, the latter is not faster than the former.  And I'm pretty sure the warehouse they are using are getting volume discount, so it's even cheaper for them.

I've ordered ALOT of stuff from the US since forever, and the recent shipping price for 2Kg and less boardgame is always 30$ and under.  For something that fit in an envelope, it's around 15$.

As for Fedex, same, FedEx International Economy  is NOT the only option Fedex offers, there are alot more that are waaaay cheaper, yet it is the only one the website offers.

I wrote catalyst about that months ago about that and they replied, weeks later, they would look into it.  Again, that was months ago.  I gave up trying to order anything physical from there.

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1222 on: 08 July 2019, 19:37:02 »
Never mind.
« Last Edit: 08 July 2019, 22:49:33 by Charlie Tango »

-- William S. Burroughs

PyreLight

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1223 on: 09 July 2019, 00:17:20 »
CGL's rates for international shipping are absolutely outrageous and tells me that they haven't bothered to offer the cheaper options that USPS has.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1224 on: 09 July 2019, 00:35:58 »
CGL's shipping is not the 5 full timers pulling stock from the warehouse behind their office and taking it to FedEx or USPS.  In the modern world, its funny to see that sort of assumption when we are repeatedly told they are a small business.  Those shipping rates and options are what CGL has worked out in their contract with the warehouse that gets the orders from China and ships to the distributor- they are not gouging you on shipping, just passing the cost their 3rd Party contracted warehouse charges on to the final consumer.  They just are being more honest than most.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Phobos101

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1225 on: 09 July 2019, 02:56:14 »
The costs are wildly out of step with other US sellers, large or small. Living on an island, I have a pretty good idea what shipping costs should look like, and CGL is expensive. It's frustrating when people bring up a legitimate problem that gets in the way of them spending money buying supporting the brand, and the response from those who don't have the problem is to dismiss it. I think if there are better options, they should be explored.

kinwolf

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1226 on: 09 July 2019, 05:14:00 »
I order from companies smaller than CGL(read 2-5 employees max, like Revolution Games) and shipping is always cheaper.  Again, a simple use of usps shipping tool will show there is cheaper options avail.

I see no reason why their online store do not offer all the shipping options of usps at checkout.

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #1227 on: 09 July 2019, 07:59:16 »

To quote my old boss from my retail days "It's here when it's here and it's not here before then."
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1228 on: 09 July 2019, 09:30:49 »
The costs are wildly out of step with other US sellers, large or small. Living on an island, I have a pretty good idea what shipping costs should look like, and CGL is expensive. It's frustrating when people bring up a legitimate problem that gets in the way of them spending money buying supporting the brand, and the response from those who don't have the problem is to dismiss it. I think if there are better options, they should be explored.

No, that is not what I am saying . . . what I am saying is that you are complaining about something that is a legitimate concern but you do not have all the details.  CGL shipping problems have existed for a while, its been known for years with the PDF/hard copy problems- I seem to remember cost discussions at that point as well.  The 3rd party warehouse they use may not offer them that many options- like I said, CGL employees are not going and pulling product, putting it in a box and slapping a label on it.  The warehouse may not even be in the same city let alone state!

Odds are, its the company that gave them the best deal to house the incoming product, break it down into smaller bundles that distributors then receive, and also offered some direct shipping options.  But based on what folks say, I expect that 3rd Party warehouse does not do much direct shipping or offer CGL that many direct shipping options for product based on the contract.  I deal with shipping companies making deliveries, and some of the suppliers that ship will show up with a forklift & liftgate to speed up their delivery while other companies do not which means their drivers spend more time unloading (and hoping you have a forklift) and some shippers (cheapest option) will just open the back of the truck to move your delivery to the edge with the receiver being obligated to move the product into their storage space.

CGL tries to keep the cost down, which means where they receive their deliveries is going to be the cheapest they can find . . . and b/c the business model does not include much direct shipping, they are not looking for the best/cheapest options for direct to consumer shipping.  If they could offer cheaper shipping options, don't you think they would?  Its not like they get to pocket the money for shipping costs, its what another company charges them.

Its already been suggested the work around for international customers is to use one of the businesses that re-ship from a US address.  I know nothing about them, but it sounds like a sensible market solution since they can likely generate the volume to drive costs down.
Colt Ward

Doom

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1229 on: 09 July 2019, 09:39:10 »
What does any of this shipping rates discussion have to do with upcoming products? That seems like something for a different thread.

Register