Lion
Aqueduct
Czar
Danais
Trojan
Model 96 "Elephant
Vanir
Monarch
I just want to see the results (Non-participant)
Manatee
Jumbo

Author Topic: What is your favorite Cargo Hauler (Dropship)?  (Read 1244 times)

Minemech

• Captain
What is your favorite Cargo Hauler (Dropship)?
« on: 05 February 2024, 22:34:27 »
What is your favorite Cargo Hauler? Why?

I slipped in some that are not outright haulers but are reasonable candidates at any time to act as haulers anyhow.

If I missed one, or what you find to be a viable candidate, feel free to name it and I will edit the poll. Castrums do not count.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: What is your favorite Cargo Hauler (Dropship)?
« Reply #1 on: 06 February 2024, 04:26:49 »
I'm partial to the Manatee, personally... ;)

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 06 February 2024, 23:29:59 »
I'm partial to the Manatee, personally... ;)
Added.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #3 on: 07 February 2024, 04:14:42 »
Thanks! :)

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 07 February 2024, 09:01:44 »
Most on the list are definitely not purchased to be cargo haulers, they have other primary missions in which cargo/logistics is a secondary function. So this is going to get some funk results for sure.

"Control this is the Freighter Prosperity, inbound to the recharge station, request docking clearance."

"Uhhh, Freighter Prosperity, our warbook identifies you as a Vanir-class Dropship."

"We are a freighter."

"Umm, right, I mean.. stand by.... <whispers to person beside him> find that planetary defense Liaison guy, he's taking a leak, get him, yes RUN!"
« Last Edit: 07 February 2024, 09:04:44 by Alan Grant »

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #5 on: 07 February 2024, 18:28:00 »
Mule. It's a very common workhorse adequate for sensible sorts of interstellar freight and having enough room to be converted into any military role.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #6 on: 07 February 2024, 19:33:05 »
Alan Grant (and Cray): The Manatee doesn't have that problem, and to be fair, neither does the Mule (at least not until the WoB starts installing nukes...) :D

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #7 on: 08 February 2024, 12:53:31 »
I like the Jumbo, but I don't see it listed here.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 08 February 2024, 16:33:25 »
I like the Jumbo, but I don't see it listed here.
It has been added.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 10 February 2024, 19:49:40 »
Mammoth.

It can make its own landing site, and still only needs one Docking Collar.  Plenty of room for custom setups, or just the default version can be filled with supplies that others to want to keep safe.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 11 February 2024, 20:18:09 »
 I have to admit, I did not expect the Mammoth to blow its way through by such a margin. I did not bother listing some such as the cargo Aurora because it is essentially a lesser cargo Leopard (Though the Aurora is lighter and a bit more controversial). I know the merchant Nagumo had an obscure reference in TRO 3057 alongside the cargo Union and Triumph dropships. I was a bit surprised the Rose did not get a vote.   

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #11 on: 11 February 2024, 20:40:13 »
I'm just happy the Manatee came in third (so far at least)... :)

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #12 on: 11 February 2024, 20:57:30 »
Unless we're factoring in semi-intangibles like noise ordinances around populated areas and maintenance to the spaceports that have to repeatedly endure dropships lifting off and landing, the Mammoth is basically the closest to the ideal, being able to carry the most cargo in a single hull.

But I still picked the Buccaneer, because I just think it's neat.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 11 February 2024, 22:09:09 »
Unless we're factoring in semi-intangibles like noise ordinances around populated areas and maintenance to the spaceports that have to repeatedly endure dropships lifting off and landing, the Mammoth is basically the closest to the ideal, being able to carry the most cargo in a single hull.

But I still picked the Buccaneer, because I just think it's neat.
The Buccaneer is indeed a phenomenal ship and one that is popular in-universe for just that. I chose a different ship from those two myself. The Buccaneer's status as an aerodyne is a plus in my opinion and was tempting. It is also one of my favorites.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #14 on: 12 February 2024, 03:09:02 »
I'm just happy the Manatee came in third (so far at least)... :)

Wait, are you the other Manatee voter?
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #15 on: 12 February 2024, 04:15:06 »
Yep!  I asked the OP to add it, too... ;)

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 13 February 2024, 22:15:38 »
Mule. It's a very common workhorse adequate for sensible sorts of interstellar freight and having enough room to be converted into any military role.
THIS.
It's listed as the most common merchant dropship. That means unlike a lot of the others listed
spare parts are available. I see remaining functional as more important then outright efficiency per ton.

You can't haul cargo if you can't keep it running.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 23 February 2024, 10:23:02 »
The good news is that the Mule has modestly more than half of the Mammoth. The bad news is that the other haulers have largely performed poorly compared with both. Given the niche role of these ships in a war game, it is understandable. I will admit that I thought that aesthetics among other factors would be more impactful, but perhaps given the background nature of these ships, those factors held less sway. I can easily see why both the Mule and the Mammoth would stand out. This made for an interesting contrast with the Assault Ship poll. 
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=80610.0
« Last Edit: 23 February 2024, 10:24:59 by Minemech »

Von Jankmon

• Lieutenant
  • Everyone is entitled to my opinions
« Reply #18 on: 15 March 2024, 22:41:01 »
I voted Mammoth, it is the only think making the logistics anything but a joke.
It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion. By the juice of the brew my thoughts aquire speed, my mind becomes strained, the strain becomes a warning. It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.

DevianID

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 16 March 2024, 20:49:08 »
I voted Danais.  I know the Trojan is on the list, but since its just a variant I didnt vote for it.

Starting from the grey death book, where the danais had the millenium falcon treatment of hidden guns and such, I always loved it as a small scale hero ship.  Small enough to go unnoticed, big enough to be modded and still haul cargo.  Its the Firefly of the Battletech Verse, great for a small crew to hop job to job.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #20 on: 17 March 2024, 06:20:55 »
With the two Small Craft bays, I can see that.  Even though I prefer the Manatee... :)

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #21 on: 17 March 2024, 06:56:52 »
The Danais is an absolutely great ship.  My reason for choosing the Manatee, though, is that it comes in enough flavors to cover nearly any use case: it’s a general cargo hauler, or a dedicated ‘Mech hauler, can be a DropShuttle or use a KF boom and be a full DropShip.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Register