Author Topic: Tank/Mecha Traps?  (Read 2277 times)

Marc C

• Corporal
Tank/Mecha Traps?
« on: 17 August 2018, 07:50:00 »
I bought this pet repellant carpet a few months ago and created futuristic looking tank traps with it. Would this be useful with BattleTech? Are the rules for tank / mecha traps in this game?

________________________________________________________________________________
RPG played : B/X • AD&D1e, AD&D2e, D&D3e, D&D5E • Star Frontiers • Star Wars WEG • D20 Modern • Star Wars Saga • Numenara • Ashen Stars • Coriolis the Third Horizon • Modern AGE
________________________________________________________________________________
WARGAMES played : Starfire • Cars Wars • Ogre/GEV • MechWarrior Dark Ages • 40K • Infinity • SAGA Dark Ages • Freebooters Fate • Pulp City • Dropzone Commander • Gates of Antares • BSG Space Battles

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: Tank/Mecha Traps?
« Reply #1 on: 17 August 2018, 11:17:55 »
Not per se I think . . . but for instance I think its rubble hovertanks cannot pass through, not sure if wheels can or not, and tracks can cross but it will absolutely slow them down.  Rubble also slows mechs and IIRC forces a PSR which might get you the effects you are looking for in a game.  Just like demo can clear them, weapons fire can reduce rubble IIRC.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #2 on: 17 August 2018, 12:36:02 »
Hmm.  There were Inferno pit traps and AC/20 backstabbers, I think in the MacCarron's Armored Cavalry Mechwarrior book - something like this might fit in to that kind of fortress defense.

You know, why not put some styrofoam around the vertical pieces, and paint it to resemble ferrocrete?  That way, you could reasonably assign it a Hardened CF, and make a case for turning it into a rubble hex to impede ground vehicles once its shattered to allow mechs to enter.  It might make an amusing scenario where the attacker has to get a bridging unit into place, and the defender stop it to avoid being overwhelmed.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #3 on: 17 August 2018, 17:04:54 »
Pet repellent?  Heck, that looks child repellent (at least for the barefoot ones).  Where did you pick that up?

Marc C

• Corporal
« Reply #4 on: 17 August 2018, 20:02:47 »
Pet repellent?  Heck, that looks child repellent (at least for the barefoot ones).  Where did you pick that up?

Dollar store 2$.
RPG played : B/X • AD&D1e, AD&D2e, D&D3e, D&D5E • Star Frontiers • Star Wars WEG • D20 Modern • Star Wars Saga • Numenara • Ashen Stars • Coriolis the Third Horizon • Modern AGE
WARGAMES played : Starfire • Cars Wars • Ogre/GEV • MechWarrior Dark Ages • 40K • Infinity • SAGA Dark Ages • Freebooters Fate • Pulp City • Dropzone Commander • Gates of Antares • BSG Space Battles

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #5 on: 17 August 2018, 20:24:19 »
Nice!  I'll have to look around next time I'm near one...

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 18 August 2018, 22:21:46 »
You know, looking at it I'm struck by the possibility of using these as the supports for a suspension bridge.  Be a heck of a lot of work, though.
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #7 on: 18 August 2018, 22:41:45 »
Why?  Flip them upside down and cut them at a angle . . . the base can support your bridge roadbed and the pillars go downward then instead of up.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 19 August 2018, 02:18:39 »
"Suspension" - long stretches between support pillars.  Think San Francisco's Golden Gate.  But yeah - turning them over?  Never thought about it.   :-[

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #9 on: 19 August 2018, 17:36:29 »
Well, for a suspension I would not use this . . . I would use balsa wood, twine and fishing wire.  Your balsa sticks forms the towers for the suspending, the twine forms the cables running the length and the fishing line runs from the 'cables' down to the road.  Road being either balsa plank, cardboard or something else.
Colt Ward

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #10 on: 27 August 2018, 08:18:51 »
I bought this pet repellant carpet a few months ago and created futuristic looking tank traps with it. Would this be useful with BattleTech? Are the rules for tank / mecha traps in this game?

I don't recall any particular rules for hedgehogs or dragon's teeth, if that's what you're asking. IIRC we used the "rough" terrain type to indicate tank traps. That said this pet repellent would be a good way to indicate rough terrain! ;)

That said there were a couple listed in the McCarron's Armored Cavalry scenario pack and I think one tripwire defense was listed in the Fourth Succession War Scenario Pack as well. I think Hexpack Promotional Tile 1 from the Downloads page has some modern fortifications on it that you may find useful.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)