Author Topic: WiGE - are they useful as combat vehicles?  (Read 3588 times)

kaliban

• Warrant Officer
  • https://owa3025.blogspot.com/
    • Outworlds Alliance blog
WiGE - are they useful as combat vehicles?
« on: 08 March 2019, 10:41:33 »
I am from a time that WiGE was non existent in Battletech.

My first impression was good as long you can make heavier units than vtols and hovercrafts but the movement restrictions prevented me to use it in actual combat.

Have anyone tried it?

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
Re: WiGE - are they useful as combat vehicles?
« Reply #1 on: 08 March 2019, 11:40:38 »
I've used them in megamek.  They are quick, and can mount impressive firepower. That said, you need to treat them like hover units, use cover, and if they land, it has to be behind cover.

The Hiryo is a pretty good battle armor taxi, but it has to land before disembarking, so make sure to take cover when unloading.

The Nisos has great weapons. Most useful in the open, or canyon networks (since it can span gaps that even hovers can't)
No-Dachi has a counter-argument. Nothing further? Ok.
Demo team agent #772

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 08 March 2019, 11:59:18 »
I think of them as a variant hovercraft.  In a tactical sesne, everything that's true for hovers is basically true for them too.

The distinction between them is hilly terrain.  Climbing or descending hills without paying MP makes them the kings of the right kind of hilly terrain.

Outside that right kind of hilly terrain though, they're just a complicated variant on what hovercraft do.

maxcarrion

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 14 March 2019, 11:01:07 »
Depends what you mean by useful.  They are reasonably similar to a hover, similar speed, firepower, armour, vulnerability to motive crits.  Tactically, there's a little difference around how they handle different terrain and the big disadvantage against flak weapons

Strategically is where WIGE really shine as Hovers cannot handle rough terrain or woods there's lots of places they can't go that a WIGE can (and nowhere they can go that a WIGE can't) and WIGE are the only combat vehicle that can be hot dropped which makes the WIGE a great go anywhere fast APC/IFV/Insertion platform - especially for jump troops where you don't need to land to drop off.

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 14 March 2019, 11:55:30 »
Other than the aforementioned battle armor taxi . A recon unit is also ok for it . But the big WIGE roll is Cargo carring over water . Speed is its big thing . As infantry and Battle Armor is Area denial units that ideally in position before the enemy gets past that postion .  I really think they should not be in combat .

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
« Reply #5 on: 14 March 2019, 13:09:14 »
A Hiryo carrying a squad of Kanazuchi is a terrifying thing. Those suits are slow, but they carry a LOT of weapons and armor for BA, especially the upgraded versions. Given mobility (and a snub-nosed PPC) they pose a real threat.
No-Dachi has a counter-argument. Nothing further? Ok.
Demo team agent #772

AdmiralObvious

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 14 March 2019, 18:52:58 »
I've used a custom WIGE before to great effect. Give it a MRM-40 on a turret, or an equal weight LRM system, and you've got a highly mobile hit and run vehicle, or a very good standoff unit.

As for cannon, as mentioned, the Hiryo can be terrifying if used correctly with a squad of infantry or BA.

Obviously they aren't useful on heavily forested worlds, but they can actually be very useful on hilly terrain, considering they can literally jump from one side of a canyon to another, provided the target side is low enough and you can go fast enough.

BloodRose

• Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 19 March 2019, 07:07:06 »
I designed a custom 5 ton Wige that could hit a stupid level of speed (15 or 16 all out IRRC but I'll check when I get home) that weighed only 5 tons and carried a Medium Laser and MG with half a ton of ammo. The best part? A redesign for it that dropped one of the weapons to turn it into an insanely fast APC with a 1 ton troop bay. Oh, and it was relatively well armoured too (enough to take a Medium Laser hit from all sides and keep going).
>MOC - 3rd Canopian Fusiliers         >Capellan Confederation - Holdfast Guard
>Lyrians - 5th Donegal Guard          >Free Worlds League - 1st Oriente Hussars
>Federated Suns - 2nd NAIS           >Word of Blake/Comstar - undecided unit
>Draconis Combine - 1st Genyosha  >Clan Jade Falcon - Delta Galaxy
>Escorpion Imperio - Seeker Cluster >Pirates - Harlocks Marauders
>Mercs - Roses Heavy Lancers          >Mercs - Reinhold's Raiders
>Mercs/specops - Mausers Shreckenkorps >Mercs - Idol Squadron

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 26 March 2019, 22:09:25 »
I am from a time that WiGE was non existent in Battletech.

My first impression was good as long you can make heavier units than vtols and hovercrafts but the movement restrictions prevented me to use it in actual combat.

Have anyone tried it?

WiGEs are there to get around the tonnage limit on hovercraft, so go big,or go with something that has fewer restrictions.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #9 on: 27 March 2019, 00:27:00 »
WiGEs are there to get around the tonnage limit on hovercraft, so go big,or go with something that has fewer restrictions.

DITTO
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 27 March 2019, 22:35:47 »

Well, that and VTOLs, too.  While not as good at staying in one place, they can move pretty well while hugging terrain.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

CVB

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 28 March 2019, 03:05:38 »
And the have orbital insertion capability.
"Wars result when one side either misjudges its chances or wishes to commit suicide; and not even Masada began as a suicide attempt. In general, both warring parties expect to win. In the event, they are wrong more than half the time."
- David Drake

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but I'm not willing to hang it by the neck until it's dead, dead, dead!

BloodRose

• Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 28 March 2019, 19:57:31 »
Wiges need to keep moving really, if they stop they land. They are, however, excellent platforms for scouts, harassers and raiders.
>MOC - 3rd Canopian Fusiliers         >Capellan Confederation - Holdfast Guard
>Lyrians - 5th Donegal Guard          >Free Worlds League - 1st Oriente Hussars
>Federated Suns - 2nd NAIS           >Word of Blake/Comstar - undecided unit
>Draconis Combine - 1st Genyosha  >Clan Jade Falcon - Delta Galaxy
>Escorpion Imperio - Seeker Cluster >Pirates - Harlocks Marauders
>Mercs - Roses Heavy Lancers          >Mercs - Reinhold's Raiders
>Mercs/specops - Mausers Shreckenkorps >Mercs - Idol Squadron

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 12 May 2019, 01:24:08 »
It's worth nothing that WiGE's have a higher Super-Heavy weight limit then they would normally have, they can go up to 240 tons, the highest of any non-navel ground unit.

kaliban

• Warrant Officer
  • https://owa3025.blogspot.com/
    • Outworlds Alliance blog
« Reply #14 on: 08 June 2019, 19:25:23 »
I tried VTOLs, WiGE and hovercrafts. Under current rules, VTOLs seems fairly superior for the way they manage terrain and the +1 to hit them

The_Caveman

• Lieutenant
  • A Living Fossil
« Reply #15 on: 09 June 2019, 00:13:14 »
It's worth nothing that WiGE's have a higher Super-Heavy weight limit then they would normally have, they can go up to 240 tons, the highest of any non-navel ground unit.

Pity cruise missiles are so ridiculously heavy. It'd be fun to build an expy of a Lun-class ekranoplan.
Half the fun of BattleTech is the mental gymnastics required to scientifically rationalize design choices made decades ago entirely based on the Rule of Cool.

The other half is a first-turn AC/2 shot TAC to your gyro that causes your Atlas to fall and smash its own cockpit... wait, I said fun didn't I?

Balkhan

• Private
« Reply #16 on: 09 July 2019, 22:37:12 »
What exactly is a WIGE? Is there a modern Earth equivalent of a WIGE?

AdmiralObvious

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: 10 July 2019, 00:00:05 »
There are some that exist. There's the Russian Lun class WiGE, which was designed to fire anti-ship missiles. It's a pretty good practical example of what a WiGE can do in combat, granted it was never actually used as such.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lun-class_ekranoplan

Black_Knyght

• Captain
  • Nisi mors certum est in bello
« Reply #18 on: 10 July 2019, 16:51:11 »

Yeah, there actually have been/are several versions of real world WiGEs in various stages of production and availability across the globe...

Register