Poll

Which is your favourite Career Mode start and why?

Federated Suns
Capellini Confederation
Free Worlds League
Lyran Commonwealth
Free Rasalhague Republic
Legend of the Kestrel Lancers DLC
Call to Arms DLC
Rise of Rasalhague DLC

Author Topic: MW5 Career Mode Starts.  (Read 2527 times)

Hammerhead

• Master Sergeant
  • "ZEUS - Premier Lyran Recon since 2787."
MW5 Career Mode Starts.
« on: 12 March 2023, 11:32:03 »
As the title says; which Career Mode start is your favourite and why? I’m going to start my first Career Mode run soon, and am curious what the hivemind thinks about the options.

I’m probably going to start one of the 3015 originals, but I’m not necessarily opposed to one of the DLC starts. The only reservation I have is that the DLC starts seem pretty tailored to run their respective mini-campaigns as opposed to a hardscrabble Merc unit trying to stay solvent.

What say you?

MoleMan

• Master Sergeant
Re: MW5 Career Mode Starts.
« Reply #1 on: 16 March 2023, 05:14:35 »
I came back recently to play, started with the FWL start and found it extremely difficult (console), the Assassin is just an awful mech in it's base config, think I took on 3-4 missions and barely made enough to cover my repairs, sold everything in the end and bought a Hunchie and cleared a few missions solo, that bought me a bit of bank to buy another medium and then we were off. But then, those are actually the most fun parts of the game, currently rolling around with a wealth of SL era heavies and it's just not as much fun.

I initially started at the RoR DLC time point when it came out, but just could not get past the final mission, the attrition was just too much for the small force I'd built up over the missions.

csdavis715

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: 01 May 2023, 19:14:47 »
You forgot the Draconis Combine. If I'm looking to do a full time investment in the Career game, I'll pick Kurita or Steiner because they give me the best overall starting faction reputation, and getting hero status with all the Great Houses is a priority for me since you never know where a good mech or weapon will pop up around the map and the discounts make a big difference.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Mechwarrior5/comments/snnuj1/faction_reputation_hero_status_with_every_employer/

Cheers

Hammerhead

• Master Sergeant
  • "ZEUS - Premier Lyran Recon since 2787."
« Reply #3 on: 03 May 2023, 05:08:00 »
You forgot the Draconis Combine. If I'm looking to do a full time investment in the Career game, I'll pick Kurita or Steiner because they give me the best overall starting faction reputation, and getting hero status with all the Great Houses is a priority for me since you never know where a good mech or weapon will pop up around the map and the discounts make a big difference.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Mechwarrior5/comments/snnuj1/faction_reputation_hero_status_with_every_employer/

Cheers

Oops! You’re right; I totally forgot the Combine. My bad.

Though given the lack of interest in this thread, I’m content to let it die. 😁

I did just start a Career in the Combine, interestingly enough. I’ve imposed restrictions on myself to make it feel a bit more “Succession Wars” to me; no buying Mechs, no Hero Mechs, and no Lostech until the appropriate spot in the timeline for those parts to be manufactured after the Helm Memory Core.  It’s been tough, but fun as hell. I just hit Reputation 9 and still don’t have a Heavy Mech. 😂