Author Topic: Ideas & Inspiration: Untainted Half Dozens  (Read 1395 times)

blackpanzer

• Sergeant
Ideas & Inspiration: Untainted Half Dozens
« on: 19 July 2020, 10:32:23 »
I just put up several posts done in an AU in the Roleplaying section of the forums here. Even at the current moment, I haven't had a proper background, list of equipment or even unit name nailed down.

So here I am, looking for help, inspiration and ideas from fellow members of these forums.

Some info:

1) The unit is small at the moment, consisting of a combat unit consisting of a short 3 'Mech lance, a lance of combat vehicles, short platoon of 2 BA squads. Currently, the former is tentatively made up of Vindicator VND-6L, Blackjack BJ2-OC and Charger CGR-3Kr. The latter is a mixed of Hetzers - 2 of the vanilla AC-20 variant, 1 each of LRM and SRM variants.

2) There is also a combat engineering arm, made up of a Diomede ConstructionMech, Jabberwocky, a Buffel Engineering Support Vehicle VIII, a generic Engineering Vehicle and a platoon of combat engineers.

3) Most of the personnel are from Inner Sphere backwater worlds and/or Periphery mercenaries. That means that while they won't be chuckling maniacally as they hose peaceful civilian protesters, they aren't exactly above to bending the rules of engagement when needed. Also, quite a few of the members are skilled techs and mechanics, with considerable abilities in modifying, jury-rigging and customization machines. (However, the rules of the AU is that WE are not allowed to run customized rides, so its more for fluff than actual ability to customize).

The idea is that the unit is geared towards fighting in close quarters and urban environment, with the combat engineers helping with reinforcing structures, tearing them down, setting up traps, easing/obstructing movement, etc.

So, how should I grow the unit? Is my original hardware something that would be good for RP, or should I swap things out? About the only piece of equipment confirmed is the Vindy and an AC-20 Hetzer since I already wrote them into my story, everything else is open.

We're very liberal in terms of equipment purchase, though obvious items like unique machines, Manei Domini designs, even Clan tech isn't available unless we find them in the black market.

Also, unit name. I have Urban Legends, Close Quarters, Extreme Prejudice... sort of cheesy, but hey, we're mercs, so we're open to ideas in that department too.
« Last Edit: 29 July 2020, 02:59:59 by blackpanzer »

ckosacranoid

• Lieutenant
Re: Ideas & Inspiration
« Reply #1 on: 25 July 2020, 11:58:26 »
as for custom mechs....what about franckmechs, that way you can put stuff together and add it to your force and not waste things.
Some Vtols for scouting are good ideas and to help move things. Keeping the unit light and movable is a good idea. Adding some basic foot guys are always good to protect the base and help to protect the support units along with ways to move them.
What type of battle armor do you have and could you get to have 10 units and make them stars of that and idea would be go heavy meybe?
As for names, From the dark? Backwater? Rusty Support Unit.

blackpanzer

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 26 July 2020, 10:32:31 »
I've sort of gone simple as a start up.
Blackjack & Helios for 'Mechs, Hetzer and Po for tanks. Being small sized, I went for a squad each Kobold and Phalanx to be ferried around by Prowlers... and that's about it!

blackpanzer

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 27 July 2020, 08:57:29 »
Finally decided on things!
Not exactly something... normal or even logical, but I thought that's the whole point of creating a niche unit for myself ya?

I present to you - the Untainted Half Dozens.

Former WoB Militia soldiers who deserted as their Inner Sphere rallied against them (even in the AU I play in), they hired themselves out as mercs, gathering like minded soldiers and warriors around them over time through losses.

Currently, their TO&E consists of 2 Level II.

First: Grand Crusader, Helios, 2 x Battle Cobra, Kobold squad, Phalanx squad
Second: 2 x Demon (HGR), 2 x Zhukov (LBX), Galleon (102), LRM carrier (WoB)

Furthermore, as I mentioned earlier, I really wanted a unit that's into R&S, relief missions, etc so I equipped them with:
Buffel VIII, Engineering Vehicle, Combat Engineer platoon, Jabbywocky and DemolitionMech.
I don't think I'll go the way of getting MASH, though for the RP fun of it, I'll probably get a Zugzogel Omni Support Aircraft.

Oh, I'm trying to see if I can squeeze everything into a salvaged and refurbished Trojan DropShip...

Kasaga

• Lieutenant
    • Project: LEGION (An AU by Kasaga)
« Reply #4 on: 27 July 2020, 09:27:58 »
Nice would love to see more.

blackpanzer

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 28 July 2020, 00:33:41 »
Given my finicky nature, I've gone back and switched out the LB-X Zhukov for the WoB VS-Large laser variants instead. Nearly bankrupted my bank account and forcing the unit to rely for chartered DropShip for now instead of buying one, but since it won't be participating in offensive missions for a quite a while at least, its a trade-off I'm willing to suffer, especially since the VSL variant is much less reliant on ammunition compared to the LB-X version - a very important point for long running campaign.