Author Topic: Replacing Raijins  (Read 8715 times)

Alain Dumont

• Warrant Officer
  • Brotherhood of Luxor
Replacing Raijins
« on: 07 January 2012, 20:13:00 »
I need some 45-55 ton 'Mechs for my Merc force.  We have a pair of Raijins we liberated from the Toasters.  I've been proxying them, and I'm tired of doing so. 

I want to find some new 'Mechs to replace them with (and paint).  I've used HMPro's selection screen, and set the paramaters to Inner Sphere, Jihad Era (well, actually, I picked all time frames), 40-50 ton, choosing from Capellan, MoC, and Merc availability.

There's a lot of stuff to choose from on that list, even after I set the minimum move to 6 (the Raijins were paired with a brace of Uziel 2Ses in a cavalry lance), so I need suggestions on what might be appropriate to replace them with.   

I was thinking of some newish Capellan or MoC design that I wouldn't yet have/have painted, so what I'd really like is help avoiding 'Mechs whose minis are unavailable.   :P

Given those parameters, does anything immediately come to mind?

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
Re: Replacing Raijins
« Reply #1 on: 07 January 2012, 20:40:05 »
You have not listed what minis you own, if you plan on purchasing, what is wrong with raijin IIs?
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

Stormfury

• Major
  • Death couldn't stop me. How will you?
« Reply #2 on: 07 January 2012, 20:46:58 »
Assuming you want to stick with 6/9ish, there's the Phoenix Hawk, and the Wraith is always worth a look even if it is 55 tons. Possibly the Men Shen as well.
Mordin Solus: We need a plan to stop them.
John Shepard: We fight or we die. That's the plan.
Ashley Williams: Wow. That's the plan? Is it just me, or did Shepard have better plans before he died?
Urdnot Wrex: Silence! This is the best plan anyone, anywhere has ever had!
Garrus Vakarian: Yes! I AM SO THERE I AM THERE ALREADY!
Tali'Zora vas Normandy: *Facepalm*

Alain Dumont

• Warrant Officer
  • Brotherhood of Luxor
« Reply #3 on: 07 January 2012, 21:15:14 »
You have not listed what minis you own, if you plan on purchasing, what is wrong with raijin IIs?

1) Two or three of the introductory sets from last year or the year before (moved a while back...just now getting around to unpacking all my BattleTech stuff), so all the generic/common L1 stuff.  I've a lot of metal minis, but they tend to be lights (Valkyries and Jenners, esp.) or assaults (my Templar is still my favorite mech).  The only non-plastic mediums I have, I think, are the Uziels and a Bushwhacker or two.

2) Nothing, really.  I'll take a look at them.

Alain Dumont

• Warrant Officer
  • Brotherhood of Luxor
« Reply #4 on: 07 January 2012, 21:16:29 »
Assuming you want to stick with 6/9ish, there's the Phoenix Hawk, and the Wraith is always worth a look even if it is 55 tons. Possibly the Men Shen as well.

55 tons is fine.  Will look at the Wraith.

The Men Shen is the omni that looks like a chicken with a severe overbite, isn't it?

Stormfury

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 07 January 2012, 21:21:14 »
Yep. But some of the configurations are pretty good.
Ashley Williams: Wow. That's the plan? Is it just me, or did Shepard have better plans before he died?

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #6 on: 07 January 2012, 21:33:49 »
I'd pick Phoenix Hawk or a Nightsky O0.
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

Isanova

• Lieutenant
  • There you are!
« Reply #7 on: 07 January 2012, 21:44:24 »
Try a Marshal. They're durable, and surprisingly versatile... but also not overpowered. It's also unexpected :P
Freeborn and proud~

Stormfury

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 07 January 2012, 22:00:21 »
But as a replacement for a 6/9/6 mover with a long-range weapon, and working in tandem with other ranged 6/9/6 movers with long-ragnge weapons, perhaps not really what you want...

Isanova

• Lieutenant
  • There you are!
« Reply #9 on: 07 January 2012, 22:54:25 »
Take a MHL-2L, add er lenses on the LL, switch out the LRM-15 for a MM/4, the MGs for a RL-20, and you've got a nice mercenary toy.

Aside from the older standbys, T-Bolt being a good one made in the area,
Freeborn and proud~

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #10 on: 08 January 2012, 00:23:39 »
But everything your mentioning is slower than what the OP asked for . . . at the 6/9 speed.

Couple of fun ideas . . .

Bloodhound- its your electronics guru, unfortunately it does not jump
Exterminator 4D- a bit heavier than you asked for, but again a fun design
Vulcan 5M- more pulse fun for jumping
Chimera 1S- if you want a challenge to effectively deploy something, this mech is for you!  Its also
     generally available due to where its made
Clint-  A series that can be a lot of fun
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 08 January 2012, 02:54:00 »
What about the Eyleuka?

Admittedly, its not 6/9/6 (most of the variants anyway), but it is 5/8/7, its produced in the MoC, its in stock with IWM as far as I can tell.

The heat curve takes a bit of getting used to, but the two main designs feature Stealth Armor and ECM, as well as TAG. The other drawback is the small cockpit unfortunately.

foxbat

• Tunnel Rat
  • Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • classicbattletech.fr
« Reply #12 on: 08 January 2012, 06:12:28 »
I'll suggest a Firestarter Omni. At 45 tons, it's a bit light indeed, but well armored for its size and with the same movement curve as the Raijin. Furthermore, most of its configs are extremely useful.
Hanse Davion is my shepherd.
We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender! Winston Churchill, June 1940

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #13 on: 08 January 2012, 06:36:56 »
The Stealth Phawk is a lovely choice.

And the Firestarter Omni would provide you with some great opportunities for options durning fights.
But is a little Pricey in C-Bills terms if that's how you play.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 08 January 2012, 06:55:33 »
GRF-4N / GRF-4R Griffin

Both are widely available according to MUL. They are as fast as Raijin, but more durable.

The GRF-4N has Plasma rifle which is very good multipurpose weapon with damage comparable to AC-10 combined with flamer and added bonus against infantry. Secondary weapons are three ER Medium lasers.

The GRF-4R has very effective Snub-nose PPC backed with ER Medium laser and MML-5 with two ammo bins.

The only backside is that they are not equipped with special electronics.

Both Iron Wind Metals and Ral Partha Europe produce Griffin miniature.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #15 on: 08 January 2012, 07:30:05 »
But as a replacement for a 6/9/6 mover with a long-range weapon, and working in tandem with other ranged 6/9/6 movers with long-ragnge weapons, perhaps not really what you want...
When you put it like that all I can think of is Stormcrow. But then Stormcrow goes with everything.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #16 on: 08 January 2012, 08:44:00 »
It's official, then.  Stormcrow is the new black.

Getting back on track...  A Men Shen, especially if your group uses custom Omni configurations and you can justify getting your hands on one.  Otherwise, Phoenix Hawks and the Griffins mentioned by Martian are both popular and common choices.  I've gotten a bit of mileage out of Hellspawns in that general role, too, although I'll admit they're not a popular 'Mech and aren't something I'd expect to find in that circle.  Wraiths aren't bad at all.

blackjack

• When you're a professional pirate ...
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: 08 January 2012, 15:17:32 »
I forget Raijin mini's are hard to come by. I really like them very fun to play. With keeping in the movement profile the Menshen & P-hawk are the two strongest contenders. I'd also take alook at the Eyleuka 45B configuration.

Deathknight69

• Captain
  • Supernaturalizing the universe !!
« Reply #18 on: 08 January 2012, 16:21:52 »
I love my Raijin. Haven't tried to get another one yet. I would love to get a new Mk II. I'm trying to find a way to incorporate the Raijin into my existing non-canon unit "MacPherson's Rangers".
"Remember kids, Ammo explosion's are as much fun as friendly fire and incoming fire has the right-of-way." - ShadowSeraph
Avatar by Wombat, Thanks again to the blue fuzzy marsupial of wanton destruction.
"SRM Carrier. It's actual combat value is irrelevant; the face of a player when one of their 'mechs takes a point-blank shot from one is priceless!  ^-^" - Fireangel
"What's a little canon-deviation amongst friends and enemies" - Self
Quote from: DarkSpade on August 10, 2022, 15:23:40
If you think about it, the perfect merc lives long enough to complete the objective, but not long enough to get paid.
Well, there's an Obi-Wan level point of view comment for you ...  xp
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 15:35:06 by Wolf72 »

Jimmyray73

• Lieutenant
  • I will not be toyed with!
« Reply #19 on: 08 January 2012, 19:56:32 »
I recommend Wraiths, Nightskys, P-Hawks and or Scorpions. I know the Scorpion lacks jump jets but I just love fast quads.  Also the updated versions of the Ceturion and amuse me when they get up to 6/9 (especially the RAC version) as well as their bastard offspring, the Legionnaire (7/11 and an excellent RAC, so to speak)...
Endo has forgotten more about dispensing pain than you or I will ever know...

gooseman

• CDT Miniatures XO
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #20 on: 08 January 2012, 20:31:47 »
I forget Raijin mini's are hard to come by. I really like them very fun to play. With keeping in the movement profile the Menshen & P-hawk are the two strongest contenders. I'd also take alook at the Eyleuka 45B configuration.

I had no idea. Glad I've got five. ;)
Daoshen Liao: Wrong! Xavier! What is best in life?
Xavier McCarron: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: 08 January 2012, 20:48:50 »
I had no idea. Glad I've got five. ;)

Aren't the originals Unseen now?

gooseman

• CDT Miniatures XO
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #22 on: 08 January 2012, 21:00:00 »
Aren't the originals Unseen now?

I think so. (Two of the five)
Xavier McCarron: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #23 on: 08 January 2012, 23:02:49 »
Though strangely enough, IWM appeared to have put them back in production for a brief time.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #24 on: 08 January 2012, 23:39:21 »
Though strangely enough, IWM appeared to have put them back in production for a brief time.

Yeah, the one I bought off the internets was in the blister with the 4th ed box set Atlas on the backing.  I'm not sure if they stopped the '55 unseen before they started using that blister, but I've never seen any other unseen in the same packaging.
« Last Edit: 08 January 2012, 23:42:51 by Sartris »

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

LastChanceCav

• Captain
  • Repossessing the dispossessed ...
« Reply #25 on: 08 January 2012, 23:46:57 »
I'll suggest a Firestarter Omni. At 45 tons, it's a bit light indeed, but well armored for its size and with the same movement curve as the Raijin. Furthermore, most of its configs are extremely useful.

I find the FS9-O quite useful. I it easier to feel good about if I think about the configs as omni P-hawks instead of omni Firestarters.

Cheers,
LCC
Last Chance Engineering - Bespoke Battlemechs for the refined gentleperson.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #26 on: 08 January 2012, 23:51:38 »
IWM was selling them from their booth at GenCon in 2010.  I can only assume that they'd put them back into production at some point, though they don't seem to be selling them now.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

peter crowley

• Corporal
« Reply #27 on: 09 January 2012, 10:22:53 »
For something a bit whackier you could try the Warhammer 10T its outside your weight limit and 5/8/7 not 6/9/6 but its on the periphery general list and who can say no to a pair of jumping PPCs.
The thunder from TRO prototypes could work also 4/6/6 i think with a thunderbolt 20 for kicks.

Alain Dumont

• Warrant Officer
  • Brotherhood of Luxor
« Reply #28 on: 09 January 2012, 11:04:18 »
Does anything from Ceres Metals fit the bill here?  I was thinking of going with something notably MoC or CC, rather than FedSuns (as most of our initial 'Mechs were) or "generic merc" (the second group of 'Mechs); something to tie them more to their adopted homeland (Canopus)--or, by extension, the CapCon.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #29 on: 09 January 2012, 11:19:15 »
Well, its why I suggested the Chimera, its generally merc available. For CC . . . your looking at the Men Shen if your well connected or a Liao Phoenix Hawk.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #30 on: 09 January 2012, 11:55:02 »
I was thinking of going with something notably MoC or CC, rather than FedSuns (as most of our initial 'Mechs were) or "generic merc" (the second group of 'Mechs); something to tie them more to their adopted homeland (Canopus)--or, by extension, the CapCon.

Looking through Handbook: Major Periphery States I can see that Majesty Metals and Manufacturing produces Shadow Hawk, so you should look this way. We do not know what variant is produced there, but TRO: Project Phoenix says that House Liao bought license rights for SHD-7M to produce it for their armed forces and their Magistracy allies. So it's possible that Capellans sublicensed SHD-7M to Canopians. Capellans did the same deal with Taurians already.

We should consider the possibility that Majesty Metals retooled their manufacturing line during Jihad. Then they could produce SHD-8L, if Capellans provided them with blueprints. It is a 'Mech similar to original Raijin, equipped with BAP and ECM, armed with Plasma rifle, MML-5 and Medium Variable Speed Pulse laser.
Both RPE and IWM offer miniature.

Griffin offers two variants. In addition to GRF-4R (which I mentioned earlier), you could look at GRF-5L produced by Capellans. Stealth variant with Plasma rifle and three Medium lasers doesn't look bad.

For distinctive Canopian/Capellan 'Mech you can check Eyleuka EYL-45A/B which is produced on Detroit.

Wolverine WVR-9W2 is another possibility. However, it lacks concentrated punch because its primary weapons are a pair of Light PPCs. I feel I should mention this 'Mech, but aforementioned Shadow Hawk, Eyleuka or Griffin  are much better choices.

Phoenix Hawk PXH-4L and PXH-5L isn't bad, but both models are a bit light on armour.

May I ask why you just do not buy Raijin II miniatures from IWM?

snewsom2997

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: 09 January 2012, 15:20:13 »
Stealth P-Hawk, Stealth Vindicator.

Alain Dumont

• Warrant Officer
  • Brotherhood of Luxor
« Reply #32 on: 09 January 2012, 16:55:23 »
Re: Raijin IIs...originally, I didn't know there was such a thing. 

Even now that I do, I'm looking for more MoC/Capellan, less Toaster 'Mechs.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 09 January 2012, 17:31:46 »
Even now that I do, I'm looking for more MoC/Capellan, less Toaster 'Mechs.

Go with Eyleuka, then. EYL-4A and EYL-35A were rare prototypes, so you can choose between standard EYL-45A and less common EYL-45B.

Both variants sport Stealth armour which helps to compensate for weak base armour protection. EYL-45A has got MML-9 with three ammo bins which allows for good flexibility in combat. EYL-45B lost that missile system, but gained Snub-nose PPC with additional three "freezers", so the heat is more manageable.

Both variants use Small cockpit which adds +1 when making Pilot Skill Roll. However, both variants have Compact gyroscope which needs less space in Center torso, so the chance that Eyleuka will be crippled because of destroyed gyro is smaller. EYL-45B has no ammo onboard, so there's no danger of internal explosion.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #34 on: 09 January 2012, 23:44:16 »
IIRC the CC produces the P-Hawk & Imports the Firestarter-Omni.
The Vulcan-5M mentioned above is also made by the FWL which is nearby & was exported to various factions in the 3050's.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Youngblood

• Captain
  • metalmans no longer dumpy or metal, can't touch
« Reply #35 on: 10 January 2012, 01:34:31 »
Don't forget about Hellespont on Sian!  They make the 40-ton Sha Yu, if you're willing to forgo Jump Jets for an excellent ground skirmisher with added TAG capability.

EDIT: And if you wanted to get a little heavier, there's the 50-ton Huron Warrior made by Hollis on Corey, with its nice pair of big guns.
« Last Edit: 10 January 2012, 01:42:37 by Youngblood »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #36 on: 10 January 2012, 13:43:49 »
One Cappie mech that I haven't seen suggested here but might work for a Raijin replacement is the Vindicator, specifically the 4L variant.  It's a 5/8/5 mover and mounts Stealth Armor.  Good firepower and reasonably durable for a 45 tonner with an XL engine.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 10 January 2012, 13:55:13 »
One Cappie mech that I haven't seen suggested here but might work for a Raijin replacement is the Vindicator, specifically the 4L variant.  It's a 5/8/5 mover and mounts Stealth Armor.  Good firepower and reasonably durable for a 45 tonner with an XL engine.

I agree it's a good 'Mech.

Check post #31.

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #38 on: 10 January 2012, 15:34:42 »
Has anyone mentioned the 55 tons Cronus CNS-5M  ?

It's loadout and armor is similar  to some of the Raijin variants.

Available in 3060 , sold to Mercs , 168 armor points ,14 double heat sinks ,
6/9/6 with XL Engine ,  ER PPC , 2x ER Medium Lasers, 1x ER Small Laser ,
Streak SRM-4 ,  C3 slave .

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #39 on: 10 January 2012, 18:48:50 »
I can think of a few different 'Mechs, but most of them have been listed already. If it were me, I'd go with the FS9-OF Firestarter, it's just gangbusters, and the Free Worlds League has been building 'em for years, so the Canopians and Capellans probably have a more than few through purchase and/or salvage.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Alain Dumont

• Warrant Officer
  • Brotherhood of Luxor
« Reply #40 on: 19 January 2012, 17:17:03 »
It's too bad IWM doesn't make a mini for the Osprey yet.  I like the TRO art for it.

gooseman

• CDT Miniatures XO
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #41 on: 19 January 2012, 18:26:32 »
It's too bad IWM doesn't make a mini for the Osprey yet.  I like the TRO art for it.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #42 on: 19 January 2012, 18:59:07 »
And if you don't want to buy the lance pack, the individual mini was released about a month ago.  Maybe longer.

Alain Dumont

• Warrant Officer
  • Brotherhood of Luxor
« Reply #43 on: 20 January 2012, 07:38:53 »
Wow...totally didn't see that when I looked at the IWM site.  Thanks!

Sami Jumppanen

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #44 on: 29 January 2012, 16:47:52 »
Not sure if you can get those in CC but isn't there a Centurion RAC variant that moves 6/9 ? It is possible that it had MASC too.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #45 on: 29 January 2012, 16:55:24 »
Yes, there is a Centurion variant that mounts a RAC 5 and moves 6/9(12).

However, like every other Centurion, it's built by the Davions.

Sami Jumppanen

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #46 on: 29 January 2012, 17:01:06 »
Yes, there is a Centurion variant that mounts a RAC 5 and moves 6/9(12).

However, like every other Centurion, it's built by the Davions.

There must be some salvaged ones in CC.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #47 on: 29 January 2012, 17:43:00 »
There might be.  There absolutely doesn't have to be any.  But the CC wouldn't be selling any that they to a merc unit and they wouldn't be a good choice for a merc unit to buy- the mech is expensive and it'd be hard to get replacement equipment.