Author Topic: Replacing Raijins  (Read 8714 times)

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Replacing Raijins
« Reply #30 on: 09 January 2012, 11:55:02 »
I was thinking of going with something notably MoC or CC, rather than FedSuns (as most of our initial 'Mechs were) or "generic merc" (the second group of 'Mechs); something to tie them more to their adopted homeland (Canopus)--or, by extension, the CapCon.

Looking through Handbook: Major Periphery States I can see that Majesty Metals and Manufacturing produces Shadow Hawk, so you should look this way. We do not know what variant is produced there, but TRO: Project Phoenix says that House Liao bought license rights for SHD-7M to produce it for their armed forces and their Magistracy allies. So it's possible that Capellans sublicensed SHD-7M to Canopians. Capellans did the same deal with Taurians already.

We should consider the possibility that Majesty Metals retooled their manufacturing line during Jihad. Then they could produce SHD-8L, if Capellans provided them with blueprints. It is a 'Mech similar to original Raijin, equipped with BAP and ECM, armed with Plasma rifle, MML-5 and Medium Variable Speed Pulse laser.
Both RPE and IWM offer miniature.

Griffin offers two variants. In addition to GRF-4R (which I mentioned earlier), you could look at GRF-5L produced by Capellans. Stealth variant with Plasma rifle and three Medium lasers doesn't look bad.

For distinctive Canopian/Capellan 'Mech you can check Eyleuka EYL-45A/B which is produced on Detroit.

Wolverine WVR-9W2 is another possibility. However, it lacks concentrated punch because its primary weapons are a pair of Light PPCs. I feel I should mention this 'Mech, but aforementioned Shadow Hawk, Eyleuka or Griffin  are much better choices.

Phoenix Hawk PXH-4L and PXH-5L isn't bad, but both models are a bit light on armour.

May I ask why you just do not buy Raijin II miniatures from IWM?

snewsom2997

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: 09 January 2012, 15:20:13 »
Stealth P-Hawk, Stealth Vindicator.

Alain Dumont

• Warrant Officer
  • Brotherhood of Luxor
« Reply #32 on: 09 January 2012, 16:55:23 »
Re: Raijin IIs...originally, I didn't know there was such a thing. 

Even now that I do, I'm looking for more MoC/Capellan, less Toaster 'Mechs.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 09 January 2012, 17:31:46 »
Even now that I do, I'm looking for more MoC/Capellan, less Toaster 'Mechs.

Go with Eyleuka, then. EYL-4A and EYL-35A were rare prototypes, so you can choose between standard EYL-45A and less common EYL-45B.

Both variants sport Stealth armour which helps to compensate for weak base armour protection. EYL-45A has got MML-9 with three ammo bins which allows for good flexibility in combat. EYL-45B lost that missile system, but gained Snub-nose PPC with additional three "freezers", so the heat is more manageable.

Both variants use Small cockpit which adds +1 when making Pilot Skill Roll. However, both variants have Compact gyroscope which needs less space in Center torso, so the chance that Eyleuka will be crippled because of destroyed gyro is smaller. EYL-45B has no ammo onboard, so there's no danger of internal explosion.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #34 on: 09 January 2012, 23:44:16 »
IIRC the CC produces the P-Hawk & Imports the Firestarter-Omni.
The Vulcan-5M mentioned above is also made by the FWL which is nearby & was exported to various factions in the 3050's.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Youngblood

• Captain
  • metalmans no longer dumpy or metal, can't touch
« Reply #35 on: 10 January 2012, 01:34:31 »
Don't forget about Hellespont on Sian!  They make the 40-ton Sha Yu, if you're willing to forgo Jump Jets for an excellent ground skirmisher with added TAG capability.

EDIT: And if you wanted to get a little heavier, there's the 50-ton Huron Warrior made by Hollis on Corey, with its nice pair of big guns.
« Last Edit: 10 January 2012, 01:42:37 by Youngblood »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #36 on: 10 January 2012, 13:43:49 »
One Cappie mech that I haven't seen suggested here but might work for a Raijin replacement is the Vindicator, specifically the 4L variant.  It's a 5/8/5 mover and mounts Stealth Armor.  Good firepower and reasonably durable for a 45 tonner with an XL engine.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 10 January 2012, 13:55:13 »
One Cappie mech that I haven't seen suggested here but might work for a Raijin replacement is the Vindicator, specifically the 4L variant.  It's a 5/8/5 mover and mounts Stealth Armor.  Good firepower and reasonably durable for a 45 tonner with an XL engine.

I agree it's a good 'Mech.

Check post #31.

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #38 on: 10 January 2012, 15:34:42 »
Has anyone mentioned the 55 tons Cronus CNS-5M  ?

It's loadout and armor is similar  to some of the Raijin variants.

Available in 3060 , sold to Mercs , 168 armor points ,14 double heat sinks ,
6/9/6 with XL Engine ,  ER PPC , 2x ER Medium Lasers, 1x ER Small Laser ,
Streak SRM-4 ,  C3 slave .

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #39 on: 10 January 2012, 18:48:50 »
I can think of a few different 'Mechs, but most of them have been listed already. If it were me, I'd go with the FS9-OF Firestarter, it's just gangbusters, and the Free Worlds League has been building 'em for years, so the Canopians and Capellans probably have a more than few through purchase and/or salvage.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Alain Dumont

• Warrant Officer
  • Brotherhood of Luxor
« Reply #40 on: 19 January 2012, 17:17:03 »
It's too bad IWM doesn't make a mini for the Osprey yet.  I like the TRO art for it.

gooseman

• CDT Miniatures XO
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #41 on: 19 January 2012, 18:26:32 »
It's too bad IWM doesn't make a mini for the Osprey yet.  I like the TRO art for it.

Daoshen Liao: Wrong! Xavier! What is best in life?
Xavier McCarron: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #42 on: 19 January 2012, 18:59:07 »
And if you don't want to buy the lance pack, the individual mini was released about a month ago.  Maybe longer.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Alain Dumont

• Warrant Officer
  • Brotherhood of Luxor
« Reply #43 on: 20 January 2012, 07:38:53 »
Wow...totally didn't see that when I looked at the IWM site.  Thanks!

Sami Jumppanen

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #44 on: 29 January 2012, 16:47:52 »
Not sure if you can get those in CC but isn't there a Centurion RAC variant that moves 6/9 ? It is possible that it had MASC too.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #45 on: 29 January 2012, 16:55:24 »
Yes, there is a Centurion variant that mounts a RAC 5 and moves 6/9(12).

However, like every other Centurion, it's built by the Davions.

Sami Jumppanen

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #46 on: 29 January 2012, 17:01:06 »
Yes, there is a Centurion variant that mounts a RAC 5 and moves 6/9(12).

However, like every other Centurion, it's built by the Davions.

There must be some salvaged ones in CC.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #47 on: 29 January 2012, 17:43:00 »
There might be.  There absolutely doesn't have to be any.  But the CC wouldn't be selling any that they to a merc unit and they wouldn't be a good choice for a merc unit to buy- the mech is expensive and it'd be hard to get replacement equipment.