Author Topic: Good intro vehicles?  (Read 6608 times)

Alain Dumont

• Warrant Officer
  • Brotherhood of Luxor
Good intro vehicles?
« on: 29 January 2012, 01:00:21 »
My son and I have been playing strictly 'Mech forces for years.  I'm thinking of throwing in a few vehicles for variety. 

We're playing in the Jihad era.  My Merc company started as FedRats, then after being badly mauled in the Chaos March, drifted to the Periphery to get away from the Blakists and their allies.   Oops.    ;D

After the firebombing of Crimson, my Mercs are identifying a lot with the Canopians and Cappellans, and to a lesser extent the Taurians.

So, bearing in mind those factors, what are a couple of good 'starter' type vehicles to break me in gently?   What should I start with, bearing in mind that since he and I both played MechWarrior 2-4 a lot, I still tend to think of tanks as "those things you step on on your way to the real fight"?   ;D

Dave Talley

• Major
Re: Good intro vehicles?
« Reply #1 on: 29 January 2012, 01:05:15 »
throw some simple 3025 stuff down first a company of Harrasers will have him pulling his hair out :-)
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Siden Pryde

• Warrant Officer
  • Papermaster
« Reply #2 on: 29 January 2012, 01:18:20 »
3025 / 3039 stuff is your best bet if you are out in the Periphery, with the Manticore getting my recommendation for a main battle tank.
Though you can't go wrong with some Myrmidons if you can get your hands on them.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #3 on: 29 January 2012, 01:20:57 »
Strikers! 

I also second the Myrmidon / Manticore.  You can't go wrong with some Rommel/Pattons either.

If you want to try VTOLs, the Warrior is a good standard chopper that is found almost everywhere.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Alain Dumont

• Warrant Officer
  • Brotherhood of Luxor
« Reply #4 on: 29 January 2012, 01:47:41 »
3025 / 3039 stuff is your best bet if you are out in the Periphery, with the Manticore getting my recommendation for a main battle tank.
Though you can't go wrong with some Myrmidons if you can get your hands on them.

Thanks.  I think I'll try a brace of Manticores.  They're made by Majesty Metals, among others, and are thus a reasonable choice fluff-wise, and IWM has the minis in stock. 

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 29 January 2012, 04:28:20 »
N+1ing the Myrmidon and Manticore.  Both are well rounded designs.  If you want to be ready for urban fights, the Rommel is a nice AC/20 tank (there's also the Patton, downgrades to an AC/10, but you get a flamer and some more armor), and a couple of LRM Carriers parked behind hills make for good fire support for any force.

If you want something more mobile, I recommend some VTOLs (hovers get parked too easily);  the Yellow jacket is armed with a gauss rifle so you can do decent damage and keep it out of harms way more easily.  The Warrior is also a good cnoice as it is fairly common and has several variants.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #6 on: 29 January 2012, 09:35:57 »
Thanks.  I think I'll try a brace of Manticores.  They're made by Majesty Metals, among others, and are thus a reasonable choice fluff-wise, and IWM has the minis in stock. 

Great, solid line tank.  If you want to splurge a little, there's some relatively simple but effective post-Jihad upgrade options waiting to be discovered for the enterprising tinkerer.  In general the book you want to look for is TRO3039 although there's a handful in TRO3058U (Po, Cavalry) and TRO3060 (Myrmidon, heavy APCs, light SRM carrier, heavy LRM carrier).

Generally, Bird of Prey's got a good selection of recommendations, but I'd be a little wary of the Yellow Jacket.  They're slow enough that flak-armed enemies (LB 10-Xs) are going to find them laughably easy to counter and the Gauss rifle is going to attract a lot of attention.  If you need a fast spotter that shouldn't be exposed to fire, try the Ferret... and I'm not kidding, seriously, don't expose it to fire.  That Cavalry I mentioned up above can be a real nuisance with 12 SRM tubes, especially with Warriors to pepper someone at range.

I'm not as opposed to hovers as he is as long as you're careful about it.  Special mention to the Maxim as a fast, effective hover IFV, but there's plenty to choose from.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #7 on: 29 January 2012, 09:38:55 »
Po, Zhukov, Demolisher (I highly recommend the Gauss variant!), and Ontos!

Also, the Regulator is a fun little machine.

Sami Jumppanen

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 29 January 2012, 15:37:26 »
Scorpion and Hezer! Both with Precision ammo. Scorpion to take pot shots at fast movers and to act as a initiative sink (and to draw attention). Hetzer is to do damage at the close range after the Scorpion manages to draw attention. Just don't over do these (fluffwise this is because Hezer is a punishment assigment and Scorpion isn't assigment at all).

MightySchoop

« Reply #9 on: 29 January 2012, 17:09:23 »
Po tanks are a good choice for your Capellan friends. Pretty basic stuff -- A big gun on a turret, decent armor, and some MGs to keep the foot soldiers away.

Alain Dumont

• Warrant Officer
  • Brotherhood of Luxor
« Reply #10 on: 29 January 2012, 20:37:27 »
Po, Zhukov, Demolisher (I highly recommend the Gauss variant!), and Ontos!

Also, the Regulator is a fun little machine.

My FLGS had a pack of Ontos tanks, so that's what I got.  Will have to order the Manticores through IWM, I suppose.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #11 on: 29 January 2012, 20:45:43 »
My FLGS had a pack of Ontos tanks, so that's what I got.  Will have to order the Manticores through IWM, I suppose.
My 2nd Favorite Assault Tank, good Choice, many variants and all fun.
Pairing them up with the Manticores will give you a GREAT platoon IMHO.

In keeping things commonly available & still effective I would go with some Pegasus/Plainsman hovercraft for your 2nd platoon.

Later, as you expand, for 3rd Platoon I am thinking a pair of Arrow-IV toting tanks (Demolisher) with a pair of spotter Vtols (Sprint) will be a good option to round out your forces.
(This will also make a great support company for your existing mech battalion.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Alain Dumont

• Warrant Officer
  • Brotherhood of Luxor
« Reply #12 on: 29 January 2012, 20:50:42 »
My 2nd Favorite Assault Tank, good Choice, many variants and all fun.
Pairing them up with the Manticores will give you a GREAT platoon IMHO.

In keeping things commonly available & still effective I would go with some Pegasus/Plainsman hovercraft for your 2nd platoon.

Later, as you expand, for 3rd Platoon I am thinking a pair of Arrow-IV toting tanks (Demolisher) with a pair of spotter Vtols (Sprint) will be a good option to round out your forces.
(This will also make a great support company for your existing mech battalion.

What about for 3025-era games?

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 29 January 2012, 20:57:00 »
What about for 3025-era games?
The first two platoons are 3025 era.

For a 3025 alternative 3rd platoon could be LRM Carriers & Warriors.
OR, to keep it as Artillery,  Thumpers/LongToms & Ferrets.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

wackrabbit

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • Who wants some, Doc?
« Reply #14 on: 29 January 2012, 21:03:56 »
For 3025, I like a mixed company of Savannah Masters, Drillsons and Saladins, 8/2/2, harrassment and sudden sharp pain. Once the Drillsons have expended their ammo, they back off and then ram the legs of a couple of light 'mechs,
If you always do what you've always done, you will always get what you've always got

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #15 on: 29 January 2012, 21:20:26 »
I found that the old vehicles minis are good starters

Pegasus- Hovercraft,m twin SRM 6s, a very reliable harrasment vehicles
Hunter- Basic LRM 20 Carrier
Veddette- most basic tank decent main gun and armor
Striker- smaller LRM rack but packs an SRM 6.  worse choices to guard Hunters or suppliment Veddettes
Demolisher- Close Defense assault vehicle, great for bringing the pain.
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

Alain Dumont

• Warrant Officer
  • Brotherhood of Luxor
« Reply #16 on: 29 January 2012, 22:04:05 »
Looking through my Merc group notes, under my "Salvaged - Sell it off" column, I have some Vedettes and Punishers listed.   Might as well give 'em a whirl.   :)

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 30 January 2012, 10:22:41 »
and Punishers listed. 
Your Mercs faced down multiple Frank Castles ?!?!?  And Lived ?!?!?  /gasp   :D

Nahuris

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 30 January 2012, 11:41:08 »
The Po is a good choice --- as is the Brutus.
If you read the fluff, the Brutus was designed by the Capellans, who then promptly failed to use it properly.... but they are a truly tough tank.

I prefer to use the Brutus, Scorpion, and Po tanks as my primaries, with LRM and SRM carriers as support, overwatched by Hawk Moth gunships.
I also kind of like the Schrek PPC carrier, especially on defense missions.

I'm surprised that no one mentions the Hawk Moth. It is one of the more useful VTOLs if you need to use something to plink an opponent from range. And it's fast enough to keep control of the range.

Nahuris
"A friend will calm you down when you are angry, but a BEST friend will skip along beside you with a baseball bat singing "someone's gonna get it."

"If we are ever in a situation, where I am the voice of reason, we are in a very bad situation."

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: 30 January 2012, 12:16:23 »
If your looking for a good vehicle at the introtech level I highly recommend the
Partisan LRM variant .
As far as I know they never made a mini for the LRM variant so you have to
modify a standard Partisan mini.

It has as many LRM tubes as an LRM carrier but better armor ,more ammo,
MGs ,and most importantly a turret .
For a relatively low BV cost it tends to dominate 3025 games if used for indirect fire
and you can put more advanced ammo in it for the  later eras .
( such as NARC )

It tends to be a surprise in games because few people use it .

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #20 on: 31 January 2012, 04:33:21 »
Scorpion.  All variants.
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

Alain Dumont

• Warrant Officer
  • Brotherhood of Luxor
« Reply #21 on: 31 January 2012, 08:45:07 »
As with Mechs, as I expand, I'll probably do so on the basis of which minis look good (to me). 

These Ontos tanks are . . . not fugly, but the Manticores certainly look better.