Author Topic: Partial Wing vs Extra (I)JJs  (Read 6346 times)

Diablo48

• Major
Re: Partial Wing vs Extra (I)JJs
« Reply #30 on: 12 August 2013, 16:00:33 »
The LPL is really not that great so long as you actually use the typical 2/3 (if you look at the various tables, the average skill level is actually veteran, not regular) clan pilots indicated by canon.  Yes it does well against fast movers if they have to get in range (this is a huge perk for the ERLL, shooting on 12's is perfectly fine if the enemy is out of range), but this comes at the cost of damage efficiency which makes it generally ineffective against heavily armored assaults where your numbers are generally low enough that the accuracy of the LPL is unimportant.

To be honest, I see partial wings as a niche for light/low-end medium mechs, mostly due to them gaining the greatest benefit from them. They're just not really worth sticking on an assault, especially since the space that they take up could be used putting in more heat sinks and weapons, which is really what an assault should be. Trying to make a fast-moving assault means you end up sacrificing too much weight to that, and so you end up with an under-armoured or under-armed (Charger anyone?) mech.

Hah, no.  An 85 ton, 4/6/7 assault is absolutely terrifying in rough terrain.  It can run down mediums, generate TMMs normally associated with lights, max its armor, and still carry the warload of a heavy.

Really the only other place you want to use the PW is 55 ton mediums because the only reason to go smaller than that is to exceed 6/9/X ground speed, and a PW design is going to be built around its jump mobility so you may as well go for iJJs on a 55 ton design because it will give you more free weight to play with.  Even there you really only want to go for either 5/8/7 or 5/8/10 because going faster does not get you a better defensive mod and eviscerates your arsenal, and if you really want 7 jump mp with no ground speed you are better off going all the way up to 85 tons for the extra armor and firepower of a 4/6/7 assault.

That leaves you with exactly two optimal configurations.  The 55 ton, 5/8/10 design and the 85 ton, 4/6/7 design.

View my design musings or request your own custom ride here.

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: 16 August 2013, 04:59:50 »
Have to agree with Masquerade .  I prefer fire power over maneuverability as I do normally do the defensive on ground of my choice. That tends to defeat maneuverability in those conditions every time. It is only when you are on the offensive that maneuverability is a big time advantage.

Challenger

• Warrant Officer
  • Six or Styx
    • My Fanfiction Stories
« Reply #32 on: 17 August 2013, 13:12:37 »
I like being able to deliver a 34 point kick to any unit within 8 hexes of my starting point.

While not to all tastes TSM plus IJJ is a royally nasty combination in a brawler.  Start letting 85ton mechs jump about like Spiders and you'll start seeing legs disappearing off mechs left right and centre.  After all there isn't a mech in the game that can take two kicks like that to a single leg and a jump of 8 usualy lets me pick which leg I'm going to connect with.

If I want to be a total git I'd use a 100ton 4/6/8 instead and start throwing round 40 point kicks.  That will take the leg off any 55tonner in a single hit.

Challenger

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 17 August 2013, 13:24:08 »
4/6/7.  PW only gives heavies and assaults one extra hex of jump range.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Challenger

• Warrant Officer
  • Six or Styx
    • My Fanfiction Stories
« Reply #34 on: 17 August 2013, 14:02:10 »
Ahh missed that one, though the point still stands.  I don't like the idea of 100ton flying bricks delivering 40point kicks to anything within 7 hexes.

Challenger

Cik

• Corporal
« Reply #35 on: 12 September 2013, 04:55:58 »
What makes that medium even more stupid is the fact that I managed to give it a pair of Clan ERLLs, a TC, and a full coat of FL armor.  At that point I think the only options you really have are to try to kill it with ASFs which is rather risky given the reach and accuracy of the lasers, or call for orbital fire support. #P

As for the Partial Wing, I know there is an IS version but I do not remember the details because I tend to go nuts with advanced tech when I grab them, although I thought they were still under advanced rules like FL armor.

if you can bring a 10 jump FL armor ERLL machine i am allowed to bring a huit loaded with 7-8 tons of nukes.

only fair.

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #36 on: 12 September 2013, 05:15:40 »
if you can bring a 10 jump FL armor ERLL machine i am allowed to bring a huit loaded with 7-8 tons of nukes.

only fair.

Honestly, I am inclined to agree with you.  The flying stupidity has a very real chance of surviving that barrage thanks to its durability and mobility, and once you are out of nukes the game is effectively over.

View my design musings or request your own custom ride here.

Cik

• Corporal
« Reply #37 on: 12 September 2013, 19:52:04 »
Honestly, I am inclined to agree with you.  The flying stupidity has a very real chance of surviving that barrage thanks to its durability and mobility, and once you are out of nukes the game is effectively over.

i'll bring more nukes until it's chance of surviving is 0%

'kill it with fire' is an apt adage in this scenario :3

ialdabaoth

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #38 on: 12 September 2013, 20:57:05 »
To be honest, I see partial wings as a niche for light/low-end medium mechs, mostly due to them gaining the greatest benefit from them. They're just not really worth sticking on an assault, especially since the space that they take up could be used putting in more heat sinks and weapons, which is really what an assault should be. Trying to make a fast-moving assault means you end up sacrificing too much weight to that, and so you end up with an under-armoured or under-armed (Charger anyone?) mech.

Exception: Melee monsters. Delivering 40-pt hatchets or 30-pt punches/60-pt kicks at a move of 4/6/7 is *scary*.

Register