Author Topic: Piloting and gunnery stats for older FASA Products  (Read 5108 times)

Starfury

• Warrant Officer
Piloting and gunnery stats for older FASA Products
« on: 30 January 2020, 23:52:01 »
I was looking over the piloting and gunnery stats for Rhonda's Irregulars and comparing them to newer Catalyst products and later FASA releases.  The difference is pretty wide.  Elite pilots are regularly 1,2 or 1,1 in Rhonda's Irregulars, while in later books, a 2/3 is elite for long term Clan Star Colonels.  Does anyone have an explanation on the large discrepancy in skills?

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Re: Piloting and gunnery stats for older FASA Products
« Reply #1 on: 31 January 2020, 03:53:40 »
It gets worse - there are early products where Natasha Kerensky (who tested up to Star Colonel and won a Bloodname) is listed as 3/4.

The early scenario writers were loathe to give people superior stats, probably for game balance reasons.  If you read the stat blocs as written, Grayson Carlyle and Lori Kalmar had stats in the 6 and 7 range on Trellwan and Verthandi, and some cadets (on the verge of graduation) are given 8/8 stats.

Chalk it up to there not being any standard guidelines in the FASA era.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Starfury

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 31 January 2020, 05:45:46 »
Apparently.  I didn't remember such a large discrepancy when I had it in hard copy. The "second line" Jade Falcon Star Colonel the Irregulars face on Apollo is a 1,2 with no blood name, piloting a Thor
This Cluster doesn't even have any aerospace attached to it.  Heck the Irregulars' infantry has no transport assets...

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #3 on: 31 January 2020, 05:54:24 »
If you look at the rosters in the Twycross scenario pack, you'll see bloodnamed warriors among the rank and file, under the command of non-bloodnamed Star Commanders.  I'd assume anyone good enough to get a bloodname would rate a command of their own.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #4 on: 31 January 2020, 19:10:46 »
All it takes is one moment of bad luck during a trial...

gunner

• Sergeant
  • Todays a good day to die, YOU FIRST
« Reply #5 on: 02 February 2020, 12:13:45 »
From the several old FASA scenario books almost every one had standard stats 4/5 IS   3/4 Clan.  Very few had better stats.  MY guess was they designers were looking more at a longer game then a realistic view of the story line. This can be seem in all of the books.  4th succession War Scenarios has a few under 4/5 for IS but in the same scenario there are  much higher G/P  as high as 6/7.  Even the ones with clan forces there are clan warriors with 4/5.
Long life through fire superiority
IN range  and ON target  M 60 MG

Blackhorse 6

• Night Stalker Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant
  • Uh huh...
« Reply #6 on: 02 February 2020, 14:07:56 »
Simplest answer would be that before BV we all used the same chart.  After BV the Clans were rated at a better skill level by one step.  So if your P/G numbers rated you as a Veteran IS MechWarrior, in the Clans you were only considered Regular.  The chart was also expanded from four basic ratings to seven, IIRC. 

Early on we tended to plan fights by tonnage and everyone usually had TRO models by planned rulings.  When the Clans hit, IS players had to actually get the Omnis to fire so we could narrow down the configs we were facing.  This brought some order to the brawl.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 02 February 2020, 16:20:16 »
There are some scenarios where the P/G ratings as given only make sense when you assume they're RPG skill ranks, not boardgame target numbers.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #8 on: 07 February 2020, 11:24:19 »
There are some scenarios where the P/G ratings as given only make sense when you assume they're RPG skill ranks, not boardgame target numbers.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #9 on: 07 February 2020, 11:25:23 »

That's a very interesting perspective.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 07 April 2021, 16:21:00 »
Simplest answer would be that before BV we all used the same chart.  After BV the Clans were rated at a better skill level by one step.  So if your P/G numbers rated you as a Veteran IS MechWarrior, in the Clans you were only considered Regular.  The chart was also expanded from four basic ratings to seven, IIRC. 

Early on we tended to plan fights by tonnage and everyone usually had TRO models by planned rulings.  When the Clans hit, IS players had to actually get the Omnis to fire so we could narrow down the configs we were facing.  This brought some order to the brawl.
Very true.. but you lie there was little order to any of the early CLAN/Inner Sphere Brawls.    The Tech was just great difference to overcome.

And most CLAN players I ran into at the time still wanted to fight tonnage games and fought like they were dirty pirates not honorable Clan Warriors.

I won some of those battles, but to win that way, shakes my head, I was going to loose the war for lack of functional forces.
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Register