Author Topic: Eminence in Anime - The M@ster Anime Thread Beyond Viewing's End  (Read 10323 times)

elf25s

• Major
Re: Eminence in Anime - The M@ster Anime Thread Beyond Viewing's End
« Reply #210 on: 10 April 2024, 07:43:45 »
So question: is there a reason why colds are treated as being so dire in anime?  It seems pretty common for a character to catch a cold and be incapacitated for a few days while others worry that they're going to die.
it has both reasons asians geneally (it also depends what part of asia you are from)are sensitive to common cold ot can be deadly, cultural at least in japan drippy nose is considered to be disgusting on par as if you smeared poop under your nose in the west....
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #211 on: 10 April 2024, 11:02:28 »
So question: is there a reason why colds are treated as being so dire in anime?  It seems pretty common for a character to catch a cold and be incapacitated for a few days while others worry that they're going to die.
Mostly it's just a plot device to add drama.  It's just entered trope territory. We get the 'they're sick' episode, just like we get a Beach episode. And a School Festival/Sports day epidoe.  But...

The word they're usually translating as 'a cold' [ 風邪 (kaze) ], is a word for any sort of illness of that general nature. So it's not just the common cold, it also includes the flu and various other diseases with similar coughing/sneezing/respiratory/fever issues. Most of those 'colds' are probably some sort of flu. And Flu will take anyone out, and can be deadly, especially when other factors are added to it. Such as...

There is a serious issue of overwork in Japan (and other parts of the world). It results in people dragging themselves to work/school when they really should be resting. Overwork also leads to high levels of stress. We are not meant to handle stress of that nature, it weakens your immune system, thus leaving you more susceptible to disease and making the symptoms worse. If you're working 12-14 hour days, six days a week, constantly? You're gonna have health issues. Cue the dramatic collapse when someone's got a light fever and they've been working for like 80 hours that week.

Also, don't overlook the tendency to go 'It's just a light cold' while overlooking possibly more serious illness. That one's universal.
« Last Edit: 10 April 2024, 11:20:42 by Istal_Devalis »

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #212 on: 10 April 2024, 11:31:39 »
Everything Istal said. Also, in Japanese culture, every member of society is expected to give their all for the group at all times. That obligation doesn't go away simply because you face minor challenges, but as a society Japan has more or less accepted "sick to the point of collapse" as one of these outs that reverses the obligation from you to perform for the group to the group to get you recovered. I thonk it is this shift in obligation that makes this a popular Japanese TV trope. Its far more about social wxpectations than anyone's axtual assessment someone is in mortal peril.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #213 on: 10 April 2024, 12:06:53 »
Mostly it's just a plot device to add drama.  It's just entered trope territory. We get the 'they're sick' episode, just like we get a Beach episode. And a School Festival/Sports day epidoe.  But...

The word they're usually translating as 'a cold' [ 風邪 (kaze) ], is a word for any sort of illness of that general nature. So it's not just the common cold, it also includes the flu and various other diseases with similar coughing/sneezing/respiratory/fever issues. Most of those 'colds' are probably some sort of flu. And Flu will take anyone out, and can be deadly, especially when other factors are added to it. Such as...

Okay, that makes sense.

There is a serious issue of overwork in Japan (and other parts of the world). It results in people dragging themselves to work/school when they really should be resting. Overwork also leads to high levels of stress. We are not meant to handle stress of that nature, it weakens your immune system, thus leaving you more susceptible to disease and making the symptoms worse. If you're working 12-14 hour days, six days a week, constantly? You're gonna have health issues. Cue the dramatic collapse when someone's got a light fever and they've been working for like 80 hours that week.

Also, don't overlook the tendency to go 'It's just a light cold' while overlooking possibly more serious illness. That one's universal.

Yeah, that I'm aware of.  Karoshi, and all that.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Darth Nichos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #214 on: 13 April 2024, 08:52:11 »
Konosuba S3: Nice and funny start to the srason; Kazuma's nightmare of Silvia was hilarious along with his attempt to become a Monk

Date A Live S5: Was great that they pick up right after the end of season 4 and it looks like we are getting nothing but pure action from here on out.
To End is to Begin; therefore there are no Endings, only Beginnings

Peace without Liberty is Oppression with Clothing

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #215 on: 14 April 2024, 22:32:02 »
Level 99 Villianess.  I might be the secret boss, but I'm not the Demon Lord.

Love the OP and ED themesongs,  as well as Yumellia herself. 

Bartender is interesting so far, kind of prefer the manga more though.

Mr Villian's Day off is not bad, just a bit disjointed and follows pretty close to the manga.

Go Go Loser Ranger is a nice reversal of the sentai theme with a mob villian joining the heros to take them down from within.  Set 15 years after an invasion, where the heros defeated the invaders leaders, yet still hold exhibition matches against the Dusters, the foot soldiers of the invaders that respawn after they die and a chosen villian (fake) boss of the week.  A Duster mob gets tired of the routine and see what he can do to break it.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #216 on: 17 April 2024, 15:21:20 »
Well, Spy X Family Code White is out Friday.  Anyone have any idea how long its theatrical run is supposed to be?  I can't go see it this weekend because of other stuff that's happening, so I'm wondering when I should try to schedule to go to the theater and catch it.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #217 on: 17 April 2024, 17:15:55 »
Well, Spy X Family Code White is out Friday.  Anyone have any idea how long its theatrical run is supposed to be?  I can't go see it this weekend because of other stuff that's happening, so I'm wondering when I should try to schedule to go to the theater and catch it.

While we're at it, are there dubbed showings?
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #218 on: 17 April 2024, 17:30:41 »
Yes there are.

I looked up showings on Fandango, it's got both subbed and dubbed showings listed.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #219 on: 17 April 2024, 19:47:23 »
Yes there are.

I looked up showings on Fandango, it's got both subbed and dubbed showings listed.

:smilie_happy_clapping:
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #220 on: 21 April 2024, 14:50:40 »
Decided to try Kaiju No. 8.  Honestly, might watch this one even if I end up not liking it too much simply because it's not an isekai, and non-isekai action anime are getting harder to find at this point.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #221 on: 21 April 2024, 16:26:28 »
Frieren? Metallic Rouge? Witch and the Beast? Big Bang Bravern? The Irregular at Magic High School? Date A Live? Shumatsu Train? Those were all just this season or last. Plenty of non-isekai
« Last Edit: 21 April 2024, 21:34:46 by MadCapellan »

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #222 on: 22 April 2024, 05:14:38 »
Watching Tonari no Youkai-san, it's pretty good - there's a lot of interesting characters interacting with each other, and there's a mystery as to what happened to the MC's father in the first two episodes.  If you're into Japanese mythology this is for you.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #223 on: 23 April 2024, 22:49:38 »
Went to see Spy X Family Code White today.  I was originally going to see the subbed version, but decided to go with the dubbed version instead because I got into town earlier than expected and didn't feel like hanging around the extra time for the subbed showing to start.

Liked it, though it did feel like they tried to just shove every single recurring character into it no matter how gratuitously.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #224 on: 26 April 2024, 09:58:57 »
ok...dragging and pulling teeth on this one along with love and hates
1977/1980
battle of the planets
gah today it is unwatchable lol
but we had some of the  greats doing voice work on it
alan young, kaye luke(the original master from kung fu with david carradine) Alan Oppenheimer(mou original skeletor) casey kasem ( shaggy from scooby doo)Ronnie Schell(gomer pyle)Janet Waldo( the flinstones and judy from jetsons)
and few others...

weirdly enough i got the original gatchaman series with its updates including live movie before i was able to get my claws on the battle of the planets which weirdly enough ended getting more language translations from english to other languages where the show was ran....
funniest 2 dubs i had seen were in french and german...
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #225 on: 26 April 2024, 10:03:56 »
ok so my neighbor is doing follow ups past the c treatment so kids are coming over later to give her a break...should i introduce them to gatchaman or battle of the planets??

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #226 on: 26 April 2024, 10:19:21 »
Gatchaman.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #227 on: 26 April 2024, 10:59:21 »
There's a surprising lack of gacha in a show called Gachaman.

Gatchaman.

Sapphirus

• Lieutenant
  • I dunno, here's Cirno shrugging...
« Reply #228 on: 26 April 2024, 14:22:12 »
Haven't seen gatchaman nor BOTP (but I've heard of them), but I did see G-force while it's on Cartoon Network's Toonami during the 90s; which are the same, but with differences.

Again, I was a 90s kid, what do you expect?
« Last Edit: 26 April 2024, 14:27:38 by Sapphirus »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #229 on: 26 April 2024, 22:07:45 »
Tried Mazinger Edition Z.

I forgot how bad the racist caricatures could be in some of those old animes.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #230 on: 27 April 2024, 00:59:21 »
Tried Mazinger Edition Z.

I forgot how bad the racist caricatures could be in some of those old animes.
you kidding? even today i get case of giggles when i see those stereo types...one would think one would grow out of those but character and story wise i still like wb cartoons 1930 circa 1970 and btw disney was no better either or mgm ...then it is history we may not like it but have to accept it. oth that time gave us the greats chuck jones tex avery hana barbera and men and women that did the voices...
the era inspired a lot of japaniese anime we do so enjoy today

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #231 on: 27 April 2024, 01:26:16 »
Don't be talking smack about our national hero, Texas Mack! He's the rootingest, tootingest Mechasaurus puncher West of the Pecos!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #232 on: 27 April 2024, 01:32:38 »
you kidding? even today i get case of giggles when i see those stereo types...one would think one would grow out of those but character and story wise i still like wb cartoons 1930 circa 1970 and btw disney was no better either or mgm ...then it is history we may not like it but have to accept it.

Accepting that something exists isn't the same as wanting to watch it.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #233 on: 27 April 2024, 08:32:51 »
tbh i still go and re watch old toons...they took more risks and they were just starting out with those...so there was a lot of innovation...like disneys rotoscoping on large scale with snow white for example wb with short back ground music and mgm getting the right frame rate hanna barbera for pioneering short cartoon series format and backgrounds
and best culumination of all 4 can be found in 1981 heavy metal...i know today they are not popular but i still enjoy them...for example mou and gijoe or transformers would not be around if those 4 studios did not create techniques to make production faster
oth japaniese animation took a slightly different route and took the best of distilled techniques and used them...late 60s and mid 70s was unique and thanks to miyazaki and kawamori exploded into the world stage in late 1977