Author Topic: (Answered) Orbit-to-Surface Attack & MoF Scatter  (Read 3436 times)

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
(Answered) Orbit-to-Surface Attack & MoF Scatter
« on: 11 July 2019, 09:31:18 »
I've looked and looked, but I can't find details on what the exact scatter is for a missed attack.

On Page 103, the rules state:

Each orbit-to-surface attack is resolved using the Artillery rules (see 179, TO) with the following additions and exceptions.

But none of the exceptions make not of missed attacks. Later at the end of the page the rules state:

In many cases the modified to-hit number may be higher than 12, but an attack roll should still be made, as the orbit-to-surface attack will still hit somewhere (though not at the intended point) and damage targets over a large area even if the attack misses its intended target hex.

So, looking to the Rules in TacOps, p 182 (determining hit with Artillery):

Roll 2D6. If the result equals or exceeds the modified to-hit number, the attack hits the target hex; otherwise, the attack scatters. To determine where the scattered attack lands, first determine the Margin of Failure (MoF). For each point of MoF the artillery round scatters by one hex.

OK, so, a Missed Artillery Attack scatters 1 hex for each point on the MoF, but the example Orbit-to-Surface attack on page 106 (SO):

The controlling player is attempting to strike Hex A, which contains a grounded DropShip, and rolls 2D6 with a result of 11; the Margin of Failure is 1 and so the attack scatters 1D6. The controlling player first rolls 1D6 to determine the direction of the scatter, with a result of 3—two hexsides to the right of the numbered hexside. The controlling player then rolls 1D6 to determine how far it scatters, with a result of 6—the orbit-to-surface attack scatters 6 hexes to Hex B.

Other than this example, I can find no actual rule for the scatter, so I just wish to confirm that scattering is indeed 1d6 for each point of MoF; i.e. a MoF of 7 is 7d6 or 7-42 hexes?
« Last Edit: 25 July 2019, 22:58:34 by Xotl »
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: Orbit-to-Surface Attack & MoF Scatter
« Reply #1 on: 25 July 2019, 22:58:28 »
SO errata has:
Orbit-to-Surface Fire (p. 103)
After the sixth bullet point insert the following new bullet point:
If the attack misses, the distance scattered is equal to the MoF x 2 hexes.

However, the example on p. 106 needs to be errated to match the rules errata.  First example paragraph, right column:

and rolls 2D6 with a result of 11; the Margin of Failure is 1 and so the attack scatters 1D6. The controlling player first rolls 1D6 to determine the direction of the scatter, with a result of 3—two hexsides to the right of the numbered hexside. The controlling player then rolls 1D6 to determine how far it scatters, with a result of 6—the orbit-to-surface attack scatters 6 hexes to Hex B.
Change to
and rolls 2D6 with a result of 6; the Margin of Failure is 3 and so the attack scatters (3 MoF x 2 hexes) 6 hexes. The controlling player first rolls 1D6 to determine the direction of the scatter, with a result of 3—two hexsides to the right of the numbered hexside. The orbit-to-surface attack scatters 6 hexes to Hex B.
« Last Edit: 25 July 2019, 23:13:14 by Xotl »
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
Re: (Answered) Orbit-to-Surface Attack & MoF Scatter
« Reply #2 on: 26 July 2019, 08:21:10 »
Sorry. I kissed the bullet in the Errata document.

Never found the question that caused it either. But THANX!

EDIT

Actually, your example change to page 106 is incorrect:

SO errata has:
Orbit-to-Surface Fire (p. 103)
After the sixth bullet point insert the following new bullet point:
If the attack misses, the distance scattered is equal to the MoF x 2 hexes.

However, the example on p. 106 needs to be errated to match the rules errata.  First example paragraph, right column:

and rolls 2D6 with a result of 11; the Margin of Failure is 1 and so the attack scatters 1D6. The controlling player first rolls 1D6 to determine the direction of the scatter, with a result of 3—two hexsides to the right of the numbered hexside. The controlling player then rolls 1D6 to determine how far it scatters, with a result of 6—the orbit-to-surface attack scatters 6 hexes to Hex B.

Change to
and rolls 2D6 with a result of 6; the Margin of Failure is 3 and so the attack scatters (3 MoF x 2 hexes) 6 hexes. The controlling player first rolls 1D6 to determine the direction of the scatter, with a result of 3—two hexsides to the right of the numbered hexside. The orbit-to-surface attack scatters 6 hexes to Hex B.

The Change to keep consistent with all that has come before would need to change to:

and rolls 2D6 with a result of 9; the Margin of Failure is 3 and so the attack scatters (3 MoF x 2 hexes) 6 hexes. The controlling player first rolls 1D6 to determine the direction of the scatter, with a result of 3—two hexsides to the right of the numbered hexside. The orbit-to-surface attack scatters 6 hexes to Hex B.

The preceding bits in the paragraph set up that the Player needed a 12 to hit. In order to stay consistent without redoing the whole diagram, to have a scatter of 6, the player needs to miss by 3, so, they would have needed to roll a 9, not a 6.
« Last Edit: 26 July 2019, 08:37:58 by NeonKnight »
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: (Answered) Orbit-to-Surface Attack & MoF Scatter
« Reply #3 on: 26 July 2019, 11:25:26 »
Doh, I'll fix the example.  Thanks.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0