Author Topic: Power is a goal. Pleasure is eternal. Welcome to Canopus.  (Read 218056 times)

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Power is a goal. Pleasure is eternal. Welcome to Canopus.
« Reply #1110 on: 31 October 2021, 19:55:29 »
Should be noted that the Marauder 5L sports "Ceres Heavy Stealth Armor", so it is possible the armor is made in Capellan space, Sian perhaps, and exported to the Magistracy rather than being made on-location.
Have vague recollection that some other Capellan design specifically noted its Stealth Armor being made on Sian. Can't just recall which design it was right now.

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #1111 on: 01 November 2021, 07:08:20 »
Should be noted that the Marauder 5L sports "Ceres Heavy Stealth Armor", so it is possible the armor is made in Capellan space, Sian perhaps, and exported to the Magistracy rather than being made on-location.
Have vague recollection that some other Capellan design specifically noted its Stealth Armor being made on Sian. Can't just recall which design it was right now.

There is always the chance of licencing, but capellans were paranoid enough at that time. IIRC the Taurians only got their own Stealth Armor acess free from the capellans after they just copied the thing.
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1112 on: 01 November 2021, 07:58:22 »
There is always the chance of licencing, but capellans were paranoid enough at that time. IIRC the Taurians only got their own Stealth Armor acess free from the capellans after they just copied the thing.
Yuup. And Lyrans had some issues with them getting plans in ancient Chinese  ;D

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1113 on: 01 November 2021, 15:48:13 »
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/ground-combat/marauder-2r/msg1335549/#msg1335549
Could you give me the source in-print?  Someone saying that in the forums isn't the same thing.

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #1114 on: 01 November 2021, 16:02:55 »
Could you give me the source in-print?  Someone saying that in the forums isn't the same thing.

Honestly, i dont remember a "in-print" source right now. But Alexander Knight is not just "someone", but a member of the MUL team. If you like, you can ask him for the source.
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1115 on: 01 November 2021, 16:37:57 »
Objectives The Periphery does say "Marauder" but does not specify the model.
But the 5L (or 6L) would be a pretty safe bet, even if they used to manufacture 3Rs or so, it seems far more likely the factory would be upgraded for 5Ls than the earlier Marik 5M refit.

Not like there's many options:
http://masterunitlist.info/Unit/Filter?Name=marauder&HasBV=false&MinTons=&MaxTons=&MinBV=&MaxBV=&MinIntro=&MaxIntro=&MinCost=&MaxCost=&HasBFAbility=&MinPV=&MaxPV=&BookAuto=&FactionAuto=&Factions=33

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #1116 on: 01 November 2021, 22:49:22 »
I think the original answer was from Kit at some point, but I don't recall where it was in the forums (official or not) or which iteration of the boards it was.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #1117 on: 01 November 2021, 23:27:24 »
if they used to make the -3R, the easiest update would have been the -2R. ERPPCs, DHS, and Ferro-Fib would be very easy for them to make, and the -2R is still a pretty good and solid unit even in the 3100's.

Starfury

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1118 on: 02 November 2021, 05:23:40 »
Objectives Periphery page 16 indicates MMM makes the 5L Marauder on Canopus IV as of 3079.  Combine that with the 5L's availability to the Canopians MUL list and they're probably making them even under Wobbie occupation and then back to to the returning Canopians.  Any 2Rs the Canopians have I assume they're buying from the Taurians.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1119 on: 02 November 2021, 07:37:54 »
Objectives Periphery page 16 indicates MMM makes the 5L Marauder on Canopus IV as of 3079.
I only see mention of "Marauder", no mention whatsoever about specific model.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1120 on: 02 November 2021, 14:06:30 »
Honestly, i dont remember a "in-print" source right now. But Alexander Knight is not just "someone", but a member of the MUL team. If you like, you can ask him for the source.
He may have gone by the MUL list.  That only tells what units are operated by a faction in significant numbers.  The Capellan-designed models may have come from Capellan factories.
I sent Alexander Knight a request for clarification.
« Last Edit: 02 November 2021, 14:11:03 by jimdigris »

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1121 on: 13 November 2021, 13:40:55 »
A little blurb in Rec guide 21:
The Cavaliers have "older" Clan mechs.  I wonder what constitutes older?  And where did they get them?  The Foxes deny it.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #1122 on: 17 November 2021, 22:42:46 »
and another little blurb from that...

The Magistracy is bringing some of the independent planets in the area into the fold.

ComStarHipHopDotCom

• Recruit
« Reply #1123 on: 21 February 2022, 13:53:41 »
I wonder if Canopus takes credit for BattleMech beach volleyball the same way North Carolina takes credit for "First in Flight", where someone from somewhere else invented the thing, but they contributed the sand dunes where it first happened.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1124 on: 02 April 2022, 06:08:55 »
I am a little surprised by something.  The latest Shrapnel mentioned that outbreaks of sexually-transmitted diseases are associated with pleasure circuses.  You would think that the high state of medicine in the Magistracy would mean that most of the population is vaccinated against the major STDs, especially the sex workers.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #1125 on: 02 April 2022, 07:31:55 »
I would figure they're the vector, not the source.

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #1126 on: 14 April 2022, 00:27:49 »
Any exciting developments in the last 7 years, mech or plot wise?

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #1127 on: 14 April 2022, 13:04:06 »
Plot-wise not much unless I've missed something major.  Still bound up with the Capellans.

Mech-wise, well the Recognition Guide series that sort of makes up WYSIWG designs for the redone unseen from the Kickstarter gives them producing a new Shadow Hawk variant on Dunianshire. It has CASE II and a Enhanced LRM on it (half the usual minimum range). So more hightech production atleast.

Additional access to Clantech from the Golden Century TRO that the Sea Foxes put out for sale.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1128 on: 09 July 2022, 07:41:35 »
If you haven't purchased "Empire Alone", I strongly recommend it.  There are some major developments.

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #1129 on: 09 July 2022, 17:31:49 »
If you haven't purchased "Empire Alone", I strongly recommend it.  There are some major developments.

yeah what Jim said.

The Alliance with the capellans is in the process of unraveling I think

also some new centrellas to be excited about.
The Suns will shine again

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1130 on: 09 July 2022, 19:26:21 »
It may not go that far. Ilsa may throw Andurien under the bus.
Meanwhile, it seems like an oracle told Caesar “If you invade Canopus, a great nation will fall” and he didn’t bother to ask “Which one?”.
« Last Edit: 10 July 2022, 05:21:51 by jimdigris »

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #1131 on: 10 July 2022, 07:50:58 »
Nice to see the Magistracy get some page count. Nice additions. Nice cliffhanger.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #1132 on: 10 July 2022, 18:46:52 »
And if you haven't seen it yet, the Shrapnel series has some Magistracy produced/used small arms that are interesting.

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #1133 on: 10 July 2022, 21:41:01 »
Meanwhile, it seems like an oracle told Caesar “If you invade Canopus, a great nation will fall” and he didn’t bother to ask “Which one?”.

I think I liked this book more than the previous one, there is a lot more ambiguity around what will happen, completely opposite of the run up to Hour of the Wolf.

NCKestrel’s new favorite.

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #1134 on: 10 July 2022, 23:44:27 »

Honestly, the feeling I'm getting is Ilsa might not be consulted on Canopian affairs in long run.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #1135 on: 11 July 2022, 02:17:46 »
I dunno. The Regent hasn't done much to indicate they'd want to take over, and Isolde is new at playing general and isn't really right for Magestrix just yet.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1136 on: 11 July 2022, 06:18:39 »
What surprises me is how Ilsa has reacted to Daoshen's treatment of her.  Instead of giving the Anduriens the green light to take Capellan worlds, she could simply have given the order to all Magistracy units in Capellan space to return to the Magistracy.  There would be no aggression among the alliance and Ilsa would be reminding Daoshen that he needs her cooperation.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #1137 on: 11 July 2022, 11:53:46 »
I dunno. I think people are discounting Ari Humphreys too much. If you check out his RPG stats, he's got a higher strategic skill than Ilsa does. It may have been his idea for the attack more than hers (Sadurni not withstanding). Also, maybe those troops are trapped in place with no quick JumpShip support.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #1138 on: 11 July 2022, 12:44:43 »
I dunno. I think people are discounting Ari Humphreys too much. If you check out his RPG stats, he's got a higher strategic skill than Ilsa does. It may have been his idea for the attack more than hers (Sadurni not withstanding). Also, maybe those troops are trapped in place with no quick JumpShip support.

Prior to EA, Ilsa was likely the leader in that pairing. Ari was shown to be rather enamoured with Ilsa in the relevant MWDA novel, and she was definitely presented as being the dominant partner in that marriage. Entirely possible things changed over time, though.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #1139 on: 11 July 2022, 15:02:45 »
What surprises me is how Ilsa has reacted to Daoshen's treatment of her.  Instead of giving the Anduriens the green light to take Capellan worlds, she could simply have given the order to all Magistracy units in Capellan space to return to the Magistracy.  There would be no aggression among the alliance and Ilsa would be reminding Daoshen that he needs her cooperation.

they mention how she makes all kinds of unscheduled stops on her way to visit Daoshen, I am sure she used those stops to seed Andurian units like she did on Joppa with her own. Who’s idea that was is up in the air

NCKestrel’s new favorite.