Author Topic: Power is a goal. Pleasure is eternal. Welcome to Canopus.  (Read 218062 times)

Star Captain

• Private
  • I Like Clans I like Clans I like Clans
Re: Power is a goal. Pleasure is eternal. Welcome to Canopus.
« Reply #1170 on: 28 July 2022, 05:04:00 »
Aw yes, the totally civil periphery, also who came up with the idea of catgirls in CANOPUS??
Part of the Twenty-first Combined Assault Cluster of the Clan Diamond shark Alpha galaxy.

Warhawk is cool.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1171 on: 28 July 2022, 06:13:51 »
also who came up with the idea of catgirls in CANOPUS??
Just some fans.

Star Captain

• Private
  • I Like Clans I like Clans I like Clans
Part of the Twenty-first Combined Assault Cluster of the Clan Diamond shark Alpha galaxy.

Warhawk is cool.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #1173 on: 28 July 2022, 17:34:15 »
They're canonical as of that one particular illustration in the Companion...  ::)

Coriendal

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1174 on: 03 August 2022, 10:23:29 »
Canopus is another periphery nation whose military bugs me.  They (in 3025) make a total of 50 locusts, stingers and wasps, 10 shadow hawks, manticores, sabre ASF and later the pike.

So much could be done with that.

They have a240 fusion engine from the manticore.  Convert a bug line to build a hermes II knock off.  Call it the Calliope and give it a srm 4, lrm 5 and large laser.  (yah, almost like the real one)

Then produce a 75 ton 3/5/3 mech called the Penthesilea with a large laser, PPC, ac 10 and 3 medium lasers.

Use that 180 ICE engine to build knock off goblin tanks and galleon tanks.  Pull the small lasers and put in either a srm4 in the turret or a 3 ton infantry bay.

Seriously so much better.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1175 on: 03 August 2022, 17:29:52 »
Alphard is relatively close by for some J. Edgar goodness too...  8)

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1176 on: 03 August 2022, 18:46:48 »
They have a240 fusion engine from the manticore.  Convert a bug line to build a hermes II knock off.  Call it the Calliope and give it a srm 4, lrm 5 and large laser.  (yah, almost like the real one)

Then produce a 75 ton 3/5/3 mech called the Penthesilea with a large laser, PPC, ac 10 and 3 medium lasers.

Use that 180 ICE engine to build knock off goblin tanks and galleon tanks.  Pull the small lasers and put in either a srm4 in the turret or a 3 ton infantry bay.
Indications are that the Magistracy simply did not have the intellectual capital to undertake R&D of a new homegrown mech design from the ground up. Nor did they have the industrial capacity to build a factory for such. At least, not until the Trinity Alliance of the 3060s.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #1177 on: 04 August 2022, 11:58:57 »

Sounds like it was designed by a crazy person.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Coriendal

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1178 on: 04 August 2022, 12:20:58 »
It uses the 225 fusion of the Sabre ASF and closely matches the Penthesilea(modern) in weapons load out.  A 75 ton slow jumping "Marauder" is better than just a few 55 ton Shadow Hawks.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #1179 on: 04 August 2022, 13:03:19 »
What if you can make a dozen Shadow Hawks or one of these "Penthesileas"?

Or what if it's the Shadow Hawks or nothing?

What if you need to chase down pirates in Panthers and Vindicators?
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1180 on: 04 August 2022, 15:14:26 »
Yeah... Better off fiddling with the SHD's loadout to get more bang.
Or put same 225SFE in the SHD (weighs exactly the same as a 220SFE) to free up more tonnage.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1181 on: 04 August 2022, 18:12:22 »
Now THAT is an angle far too little explored...  ^-^

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #1182 on: 04 August 2022, 21:45:12 »
Indications are that the Magistracy simply did not have the intellectual capital to undertake R&D of a new homegrown mech design from the ground up. Nor did they have the industrial capacity to build a factory for such. At least, not until the Trinity Alliance of the 3060s.
They may not have had the "brains" to do the R&D but they had the "intel services" to "borrow" that R&D from a number of places..  After all those traveling Pleasure Circuses are out there.

But then again, Before Merlin appeared in 3010 , it had been over 100 years for a fully new design Mech appears in the Battletech universe.  But then the builders were from the Outworlds Alliance of all places. 

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1183 on: 05 August 2022, 05:39:47 »
They may not have had the "brains" to do the R&D but they had the "intel services" to "borrow" that R&D from a number of places..  After all those traveling Pleasure Circuses are out there.

But then again, Before Merlin appeared in 3010 , it had been over 100 years for a fully new design Mech appears in the Battletech universe.  But then the builders were from the Outworlds Alliance of all places.
That's assuming anybody had some sort of parallel R&D program the MIM could crib off. There's no indication anybody had anything. Well, the FWL had the Liberator. But even if there was an R&D effort somewhere they could somehow copy wholesale, they still didn't have the industrial capability to build the factory from the ground up.

And the Merlin, while built in the OA... was built by a Lyran.

Coriendal

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1184 on: 07 August 2022, 08:58:26 »
"Yeah... Better off fiddling with the SHD's loadout to get more bang.  Or put same 225SFE in the SHD (weighs exactly the same as a 220SFE) to free up more tonnage."

The easiest way to get more bang for the SHD's buck is to pull the SRM 2 and ammo and replace it with two ML's.  Now you can jump and fire all 3 ML's, run and add in the AC 5, or stand still and Alpha Strike, all without generating any heat.  Plus you finally get to use that extra Heat Sink that has been in there since they forgot to make LRM 5's have 3 heat in the very first book.  Why would 2 LRM 5's generate the same heat as a LRM 10 but use 1 ton less tonnage?

Putting a new engine in the SHD is a major rework, might as well retool a bug line to make a 75 ton frankenmech like the downgraded Penthesilea with a powerful direct fire capability.  Plus if you join the Andurien's in 3014 instead of waiting to 3030 you might actually make a viable state.  It would pair nicely with the Stalker the Andurien's make.

wanderer25

• Sergeant
« Reply #1185 on: 11 August 2022, 20:54:49 »

The simplest way to get more out of the SHD would be to strip out the AC-5 and slap on one of those Parti-Kill ppc's they are already making  for the
Manticore  along with  2 extra heatsinks.

While you are at it' drop the SRM-2 for a 2nd ML and a jump jet  to boost  your range to 5 hexes!

D351

• Recruit
  • Canopian Bunny Girls IU 690
« Reply #1186 on: 08 September 2022, 11:32:07 »
Finally home. Howdy, everybody. I'm new here.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1187 on: 08 September 2022, 15:04:27 »
Welcome to the club!

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1188 on: 20 February 2023, 17:42:11 »
 :rant: I COMMAND THIS THREAD TO RISE FROM THE DEAD!!!  :rant:

Anyhow, Canopus now has 4 regiments heading for Alphard: the Third Canopian Cuirassiers, Second Canopian Light Horse, Markson's Marauders, and Gabrielle's Pride.  The Pride are all Republic veterans who survived combat with just about everyone and brought their equipment with them.  Given the revelation that in 3146, the Snow Ravens made contact with the MoC and left them three Blood Asps as a possible prelude to a longer term trading relationship, what degree do you think the task force is equipped with clantech?  What do you think are the odds that the task force can achieve regime change or completely mangle the MHAF?
« Last Edit: 20 February 2023, 17:44:54 by jimdigris »

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #1189 on: 20 February 2023, 18:11:36 »

Anyhow, Canopus now has 4 regiments heading for Alphard: the Third Canopian Cuirassiers, Second Canopian Light Horse, Markson's Marauders, and Gabrielle's Pride.  The Pride are all Republic veterans who survived combat with just about everyone and brought their equipment with them.  Given the revelation that in 3146, the Snow Ravens made contact with the MoC and left them three Blood Asps as a possible prelude to a longer term trading relationship, what degree do you think the task force is equipped with clantech?  What do you think are the odds that the task force can achieve regime change or completely mangle the MHAF?

Well, you can ask the last ones that tried to invaded Alphard.... ^-^
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1190 on: 20 February 2023, 19:03:00 »
While the Lothians will initially cheer the fall of the Marians, they'll be more than a little concerned by any 'bond' nonsense...  ::)

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #1191 on: 20 February 2023, 21:55:39 »
Tough to say. The Magistracy is using Clantech, and has access to a few designs that are seemingly sold all over.

We know from Empire Alone that the Canopian Brigade Command Company had clantech in it (pg 70 EA). I wouldn't expect there to be alot of it, but sprinkled through out is certainly possible.

As for them taking out the Marians..probably not. Considering the theme seems to be Balkanization rather than consolidation, I think its going to be a long fight.

D-Rock

• Corporal
  • "I'm sure a profound statement belongs here..."
« Reply #1192 on: 03 March 2023, 15:08:08 »

They'll probably tucker themselves out after a planet or two. I mean, it only seems to happen every time.

What I want to know is if Niops will end up being on the Marian/Canopian warpath. That would make an interesting story.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1193 on: 03 March 2023, 17:26:27 »
They'll probably tucker themselves out after a planet or two. I mean, it only seems to happen every time.
Would you care to cite specific cases of "tuckering themselves out?"  The MoC just destroyed or captured an entire Marian Legion on Booker and forced another to retreat. With the mauling that the remaining four Marian Legions have experienced in the FWL, they may not have enough troops to repulse a Canopian offensive.
« Last Edit: 03 March 2023, 17:34:07 by jimdigris »

D-Rock

• Corporal
  • "I'm sure a profound statement belongs here..."
« Reply #1194 on: 03 March 2023, 17:39:39 »
Would you care to cite specific cases of "tuckering themselves out?"  The MoC just destroyed or captured an entire Marian Legion on Booker and forced another to retreat. With the mauling that the remaining four Marian Legions have experienced in the FWL, they may not have enough troops to repulse a Canopian offensive.

In the sense that this is what happens with most major campaigns in battletech.

Yes, there are exceptions to the rules, and the scale varies depending on the size of the super powers, but for the most part there's fewer examples of an actual killing stroke. Amaris, the Terran Republic, but beyond that? Not much.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1195 on: 03 March 2023, 18:37:13 »
The composition of the moc task force does not seem like it’s designed to end the hegemony. Show up, break as much stuff as possible, leave

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #1196 on: 03 March 2023, 18:43:01 »
Generally speaking, isn't that kinda how things are done in BattleTech? If everyone showed up delivering killing strokes, we'd all be Davions by now.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1197 on: 04 March 2023, 10:21:15 »
Circinus and St Ives would disagree but  xp

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #1198 on: 04 March 2023, 11:12:30 »
Circinus and St Ives would disagree but  xp

I forget sometimes that I have to specify things like “exceptions to the rule” in this nitpicky crowd.  ;D
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1199 on: 04 March 2023, 12:08:10 »
I mostly pointed those two out because they were in a similar peer group as the Marians and got dead for various reasons