Author Topic: Power is a goal. Pleasure is eternal. Welcome to Canopus.  (Read 218008 times)

ArcaneRaven

• Lieutenant
Re: Power is a goal. Pleasure is eternal. Welcome to Canopus.
« Reply #390 on: 25 July 2011, 10:05:24 »
Moonsword and Maelwys, I thank you very much for your answers!

I downloaded the TRO yesterday and I really like, what I see. And even if this wouldn't be the case, I would have done it just for the Vengeance-DC. Our first Assault DropShip / Pocket WarShip!!! Imagine the togas are in for a surprise! And it's not just for fun, it has teeth! It has beaten units on the Liao/Republic front line! (This doubles my pleasure due to being not only a Canopian fanboy but a Capellan as well.)

So, we have three right now:

MCS Danai Centrella
MCS Tuatha de Danann
MCS Emerald Queen

Any idea why there is a reference of Irish mythology in the naming of our new warships?

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #392 on: 25 July 2011, 15:52:07 »
Well that puts McEvedy's Folly in new light.

How so? Admittedly, the ship would have been in MoC for a year or so back in the 2760s, but I doubt it would give them much of a leg up on other Star League ships.

So, we have three right now:

MCS Danai Centrella
MCS Tuatha de Danann
MCS Emerald Queen

Any idea why there is a reference of Irish mythology in the naming of our new warships?

Well, we have 3 ship names. I did a sort of long winded post about 2 days ago explaining why I think there are more than just those three (Basically the production rate for there to be only those 3 is ludicrously slow, and the named ships were the first off the line in the alternating pattern, not the only ones off the line).

The naming thing...I'm not sure. There doesn't seem to be a pattern so far. Danai Centrella makes sense. Tuatha de Danaan? There is a small Morrigan (Irish Goddess of War and Death) sect in the Trznadel Cluster, so I suppose they could've gotten the name from there, but its definitely an odd choice. Wiki suggests one of the translations for the name could be "People of the Goddess Danu," which could fit for the Magistracy, but it still seems to be an odd choice.

Emerald Queen is similarly odd. It has MoC connections, and we assume its linked to the anime, but it could also just reference to the green on the MoC flag. Or it could be a reference to the Cleopatra Emerald mine in Egypt.

It seems the best rule of thumb for the naming of ships might be "Something feminine" I suppose.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #393 on: 25 July 2011, 19:51:59 »
That's the correct translation of Tuatha de Danann from some of the things I've read but the term itself is a reference to a group of figures in Irish mythology.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #394 on: 26 July 2011, 05:51:03 »

Emerald Queen is similarly odd. It has MoC connections, and we assume its linked to the anime, but it could also just reference to the green on the MoC flag. Or it could be a reference to the Cleopatra Emerald mine in Egypt.

It seems the best rule of thumb for the naming of ships might be "Something feminine" I suppose.
My sense is that being female is enough for a name.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #395 on: 26 July 2011, 07:49:49 »
I wonder if they consider the ships to be feminine as well.

In other good news, the Periphery Field report is now listed as "Coming soon"

ArcaneRaven

• Lieutenant
« Reply #396 on: 26 July 2011, 10:50:27 »
Looking forward to the FR!  [rockon]

@Maelwys:

More ships means more fun!  ^-^

3 ships in 3090. We don't know when exactly the production in 3090 started. I doubt that it was in January. Maybe much later. That means, hopefully more ships in 3091!  [drool]

EDIT: Please, anyone painting a mini and showing us on CamoSepcs? Pleeeeaaazee!

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #397 on: 26 July 2011, 11:20:32 »
@Maelwys:

More ships means more fun!  ^-^

3 ships in 3090. We don't know when exactly the production in 3090 started. I doubt that it was in January. Maybe much later. That means, hopefully more ships in 3091!  [drool]

No no. 3 ships named in TRO:Prototypes (that's still such a silly name really). Read the fluff.

3081 - Danai Centrella is reverse-engineered at Ares.
Late 3083 - Tuatha de Danaan launched.
3084 - Standard, alternating production begins with the Emerald Queen and Fuuzi
Presumably, production continued between 3084 and 3090. The fluff just says that the alternating production began with the Emerald Queen and the Fuuzi. Not that it ended with them. And I think we can all agree that there's no way those two ships took 6 years to build. Even at a rate of only 2 ships per year, that's another dozen Vengeances.

edit
fixed some tags
/edit
« Last Edit: 26 July 2011, 12:55:18 by Maelwys »

ArcaneRaven

• Lieutenant
« Reply #398 on: 26 July 2011, 12:24:42 »
Of course, you're absolutely right here, Maelwys. In my not so youthful enthusiasm I totally ignored the dates given in this entry. I deem it highly likely that there are more ships of this class already serving in the respective navies of the MoC and the CC. Though, we may have to wait for some time to get news on those. I don't think the upcoming Field Report will have something on these new ships.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #399 on: 26 July 2011, 13:04:42 »
Probably not in the Field reports. Those seem to be geared towards 3079. I suppose we might get the first (IC)  glimpse of the Danai Centrella, depending on when it shows up (Prototypes was vague on when that was, IIRC), but we definitely won't see news of the other ships of the class.

ArcaneRaven

• Lieutenant
« Reply #400 on: 26 July 2011, 13:07:26 »
My guess is, we maybe will get a list in the product, which will update the Field Manuals to the Dark Age.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #401 on: 26 July 2011, 13:12:43 »
Presumably, production continued between 3084 and 3090. The fluff just says that the alternating production began with the Emerald Queen and the Fuuzi. Not that it ended with them. And I think we can all agree that there's no way those two ships took 6 years to build. Even at a rate of only 2 ships per year, that's another dozen Vengeances.

There's probably more but we don't know how long it takes to build one of the hulls.  All I'm saying is don't make assumptions on the construction rate Earthwerks is able to maintain out of one yard that's probably also involved with the Lung Wang program.  That one seems to have the greater emphasis at the moment.

ArcaneRaven

• Lieutenant
« Reply #402 on: 26 July 2011, 13:22:08 »
Have you seen HikageMaru's faction banners? There's one for the MoC as well! They're very funny!

http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,7668.msg194513.html#msg194513

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #403 on: 27 July 2011, 10:45:45 »
There's probably more but we don't know how long it takes to build one of the hulls.  All I'm saying is don't make assumptions on the construction rate Earthwerks is able to maintain out of one yard that's probably also involved with the Lung Wang program.  That one seems to have the greater emphasis at the moment.

Yeah, I'm just throwing out rough numbers really.

I wonder if the Magistracy is picking up any of the Lung Wang P2s. Haven't quite made up my mind about them yet.

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #404 on: 27 July 2011, 18:51:35 »
Would love to see the MOC stop making Leos in favour of Lung Wangs, which do everything better.  Or a Lung Wang CV. 

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #405 on: 27 July 2011, 19:12:34 »
I can dig the LWs, though I'll take more Vengeance DCs for our carriers.   [rockon]
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #406 on: 27 July 2011, 19:16:54 »
It wouldn't be a bad move at all, especially since you can attach one for some very authoritative top cover for a regiment of those Dictators you guys are operating, maybe a Seeker carrying some support units.  You know, artillery, transports, infantry, command vehicles, that sort of thing.

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #407 on: 27 July 2011, 19:39:45 »
I can dig the LWs, though I'll take more Vengeance DCs for our carriers.   [rockon]

The difference is something the MOC could conceivably make itself(LWs) versus something they need the Cappies to make for them(Vengeance DCs).

ArcaneRaven

• Lieutenant
« Reply #408 on: 28 July 2011, 03:35:35 »
That's really ironic, isn't it? The Vengeance-DC is - howsoever - a Canopian design, while the Lung Wang-P2 is an originally Capellan one.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #409 on: 28 July 2011, 06:39:28 »
If we can make one, we can make the other with a little tooling.

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #410 on: 28 July 2011, 07:41:35 »
That's really ironic, isn't it? The Vengeance-DC is - howsoever - a Canopian design, while the Lung Wang-P2 is an originally Capellan one.

I don't care much for making the Lung Wang P2, I'd view it as a bonus but not the goal.  I'd be pretty content with the mech carrier one replacing the much weaker Leopard. 

Neufeld

• Captain
  • Raven, Lyran, Horse, Capellan, Canopian, Bear
« Reply #411 on: 28 July 2011, 13:52:02 »
Considering the new Field Report, and considering the 3130 map, I suspect that First Raventhir Cuirassiers will defect.

"Real men and women do not need Terra"
-- Grendel Roberts
"
We will be used to subdue the Capellan Confederation. We will be used to bring the Free Worlds League to heel. We will be used to
hunt bandits and support corrupt rulers and to reinforce the evils of the Inner Sphere that drove our ancestors from it so long ago."
-- Elias Crichell

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #412 on: 28 July 2011, 14:36:16 »
And one or two others as well. The Magistracy gets hit hard by 3130 by something.

ArcaneRaven

• Lieutenant
« Reply #413 on: 28 July 2011, 14:40:30 »
But what could that be?

The alliance with the Capellans seems to remain as strong as ever.

The Taurians will only be able to throw a stone or two over the border.

The FWL doesn't exist anymore.

The Marians are busy with internal conflicts.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #414 on: 28 July 2011, 14:43:50 »
Capellan expansionism would be my guess for part of those losses, especially if they're pulling in their horns to consolidate military strength in the face of, say, an aggressive Andurien.  They may have gotten dragged into the Victoria War, too.

Dread Moores

• Captain
« Reply #415 on: 28 July 2011, 14:45:28 »
Capellan expansionism would be my guess for part of those losses, especially if they're pulling in their horns to consolidate military strength in the face of, say, an aggressive Andurien.  They may have gotten dragged into the Victoria War, too.

Aggressive Andurien doesn't matter much by the time of the early Dark Age. 3135, 3136? Something like that when Illsa marries the dude from Andurien.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #416 on: 28 July 2011, 14:47:35 »
We're talking about changes up to 3130, though.

Dread Moores

• Captain
« Reply #417 on: 28 July 2011, 14:49:51 »
Oh sure, the one time I actually know something, and you want to go and spoil it with dirty, dirty logic. Meanie.  ;D

ArcaneRaven

• Lieutenant
« Reply #418 on: 28 July 2011, 14:51:42 »
You have a pretty good idea there, Moonsword. I think it's not unlikely for the MAF to participate in the defense of the Victoria Commonality against House Davion.

And our Capellan friends are that grateful, that they take the burden of guarding the Detroit factories off of our shoulders. :P

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #419 on: 28 July 2011, 15:01:04 »
Oh sure, the one time I actually know something, and you want to go and spoil it with dirty, dirty logic. Meanie.  ;D

Actually, depending on how things shook out, that diplomatic marriage could actually be part of the resolution to the speculative aggressive Andurien.  I considered mentioning as much in the first post.