Author Topic: Power is a goal. Pleasure is eternal. Welcome to Canopus.  (Read 218058 times)

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
Re: Power is a goal. Pleasure is eternal. Welcome to Canopus.
« Reply #120 on: 07 February 2011, 09:00:30 »
I'd standardize completely on Gauss rifles for my autocannons, but otherwise, yeah, it's just about exactly what you need for general work.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #121 on: 07 February 2011, 16:26:12 »
But aren't 20k the limit for military DropShips?
My quick scan of Techmanual put no limits on military dropship sizes below 100K tons.

Or how about starting with something small and manageable that their infrastructure might be able to actually build and wouldn't break the bank? 
It needs to be durable otherwise they'll end up getting destroyed.  Then, we have to go through the expense of building a replacement ship and training a new crew.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #122 on: 07 February 2011, 16:53:25 »
My quick scan of Techmanual put no limits on military dropship sizes below 100K tons.

As I noted, it's a fluff limit, and it's mentioned in TW, not TM.

It needs to be durable otherwise they'll end up getting destroyed.  Then, we have to go through the expense of building a replacement ship and training a new crew.

You can make a 5-6k DropShip into a very tough nut to crack, frankly.  Proportionally, the Tiamat is actually not as tough as a number of the smaller hulls - it wraps a lot less armor around the guns it carries for its size than, say, an Arondight or Taihou, to say nothing of the Dragau.

To expand on that, you actually pay less in tonnage for a given level of protection on a smaller hull, although exactly where the lines fall for armor depends on whether you're dealing with an aerodyne or a spheroid.  And again, costs and mass production both favor small, capable hulls over a very limited number of supersized vessels.  Cray - generally a reliable authority on the matter - gave some very solid reasoning on the subject a couple of times on the old boards if you dig around.  At least one poster didn't agree with him but the posts are worth reviewing.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #123 on: 08 February 2011, 16:11:17 »
On a seperate note, it occured to me this morning that in the DA, the Majistracy got back a pair of industrial worlds that it lost during the Re-Unification war: Claybrooke and Thurrock.  This could significantly increase the Magistracy economy.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #124 on: 08 February 2011, 16:44:27 »
What were / are their primary products?
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #125 on: 09 February 2011, 00:12:41 »
The only limit is the 35KT cap for Aerodynes, but a Spheroid can indeed go to 100.  And land and take off, if it has sufficient thrust, despite what some folks on the forums might believe.

That said, the  idea of a proper Leopard gunship would be amusing.  Not the pee-whiz of 3075, but just pulling one or two mech bays for cargo and armor tonnage, the other four bays for guns, fire control, crew, and ammo.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #126 on: 09 February 2011, 16:10:31 »
What were / are their primary products?
Nothing notable in terms of military production.  But the added GNP can allow for more military purchases elsewhere.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
  • Ravaging the enemies of House Davion
« Reply #127 on: 09 February 2011, 21:30:17 »
If not for the thread title's third line, i wouldve had thought this is a place for Slaneshi Cults.

Hello Canopians.

I also notice that the CC gets Joppa, a Canopian world, in the DA map. How is it possible a Canopian world gets "annexed" by their married allies?

RAE

• Sergeant
  • Capellan Confederation: Deadly Stylish
« Reply #128 on: 09 February 2011, 21:43:09 »
I also notice that the CC gets Joppa, a Canopian world, in the DA map. How is it possible a Canopian world gets "annexed" by their married allies?
We don't know yet. My guess, is that there will be some kind of conflict in that region of space involving Magistracy/Fronc Reaches/Taurian Concordat/Duchy of Andurien/someone else, and the Confederation will use it as a pretext to take control of Detroit and Joppa for "their own protection". It's worth noting that the CapCon also has several new colonies in the region (named after fallen Warrior House Masters), expanding its influence further rimward.

"Everything falls if it gets hit hard enough. I'll just have to make sure it don't get up again"
- Marcus Barton, Colonel, 2nd MAC

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #129 on: 09 February 2011, 22:56:52 »
That is a good theory too, since the Capellans also get two Taurian worlds, moving them a jump away from the Taurus itself

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #130 on: 09 February 2011, 23:56:29 »
The Victoria War, or whatever the conflict is the Capellans have with the Davions could also involve those planets, which could explain the swap as well.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #131 on: 10 February 2011, 01:26:42 »
Considering it was a private war between the Haseks and House Liao, i think the Taurians wouldn't be involved.

RAE

• Sergeant
« Reply #132 on: 10 February 2011, 01:44:02 »
The Victoria War, or whatever the conflict is the Capellans have with the Davions could also involve those planets, which could explain the swap as well.
I really don't think it was that big. From the minuscule amount of information we have about the Victoria War, it looks like the Haseks just stabbed the Confederation in the back, while the Capellans were busy tangling with the Republic and, for some reason, the Chancellor deemed it unnecessary to waste resources prepared for the invasion into the RotS to reclaim the planet from Davions (my guess is that Shengli Arms just pulled the same thing Tao Mechworks did in 3085 and sabotaged the facility, moving their main production lines to some other site, thus rendering the planet importance to much lower level).

"Everything falls if it gets hit hard enough. I'll just have to make sure it don't get up again"

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #133 on: 10 February 2011, 02:17:10 »
Since it is also a Commonality capital, with the Capellan penchant for irredentist grievances, i doubt it was that simple a matter.

Where's the Tao Mechworks thing from? TRO 3085?

RAE

• Sergeant
« Reply #134 on: 10 February 2011, 02:47:04 »
Since it is also a Commonality capital, with the Capellan penchant for irredentist grievances, i doubt it was that simple a matter.
I guess so, but consider this: we know, that the CapCon constantly fought with the Republic over the Liao Commonality worlds in the years before and after the Victoria War, raiding, nurturing the resistance movements and terrorist cells, and staging at least one major invasion in 3110-3113, which saw the deaths of Sun-Tzu, Kai Allard-Liao and Burton Davion. So, the Capellans had the resources to wage a prolonged war if they wanted to, but for some reason the long lost Liao Commonality worlds were considered more important for the Confederation by both Sun-Tzu and Daoshen than recently captured Victoria.

Where's the Tao Mechworks thing from? TRO 3085?
Yep, Crusader entry.

ArcaneRaven

• Lieutenant
« Reply #135 on: 10 February 2011, 04:56:06 »
The same question can be asked about Detroit and its Mech factories. It switched flags in the AoD from Canopian to Capellan. As I speculated in another thread, the Confederation maybe annexed it without further ado due to the loss of Victoria and its Mech production sites. Quasi a kind of compensatory as long as Victoria is under Davion oppression.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #136 on: 10 February 2011, 05:27:03 »
I think the Confederation did not wish to fight two enemies on two fronts, so they let the loss of Victoria lie.

On the other hand, PrudentPanda, if that were so, it would be a move worthy of Sun-Tzu Liao's cunning and an interesting twist to the plot.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #137 on: 10 February 2011, 12:56:02 »

Wedding present.  }:)
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

vaderi

• Sergeant
  • Halfbearded Pirate
« Reply #138 on: 10 February 2011, 13:27:27 »

Considering CC's history with wedding presents don't you think that's a little small  ;D
Steiner, where money and mediocrity meet caring.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #139 on: 10 February 2011, 16:43:08 »
The same question can be asked about Detroit and its Mech factories. It switched flags in the AoD from Canopian to Capellan. As I speculated in another thread, the Confederation maybe annexed it without further ado due to the loss of Victoria and its Mech production sites. Quasi a kind of compensatory as long as Victoria is under Davion oppression.
But why should the MoC have to give up its worlds just because the Cappies lost theirs?  If the factories were moved, that would be one thing...

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #140 on: 10 February 2011, 18:38:59 »
But why should the MoC have to give up its worlds just because the Cappies lost theirs?  If the factories were moved, that would be one thing...

Because the Capellans needed to offset the loss of Victoria and likely seized upon an expedient means to do so.  "Fair" is a concept that has little to do with international politics.  Nations don't have friends, they have allies, and alliances are as much (and generally more) creatures of convenience and mutual interest as they are affection.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #141 on: 10 February 2011, 21:27:47 »
I'm sure the press releases were a bit different than "Detroit is getting handed over to the Capellans."
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #142 on: 11 February 2011, 04:48:34 »

"Husband, in honor of our marriage, in addition to this morsel i give you a vast prize. My dear Sun-Tzu, i give you Detroit and Joppa!"

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #143 on: 11 February 2011, 16:39:23 »
Because the Capellans needed to offset the loss of Victoria and likely seized upon an expedient means to do so.  "Fair" is a concept that has little to do with international politics.  Nations don't have friends, they have allies, and alliances are as much (and generally more) creatures of convenience and mutual interest as they are affection.
If that was the excuse used, Naomi would have been impeached.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #144 on: 11 February 2011, 16:53:04 »
I didn't say it was the excuse used.  I said it was probably the logic behind the Capellan actions.  We don't have the full context around it yet.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #145 on: 12 February 2011, 08:44:31 »
Well, there better be a good explanation, otherwise governments will fall.

HuronWarrior

• Sergeant
« Reply #146 on: 12 February 2011, 09:26:32 »
If that was the excuse used, Naomi would have been impeached.
What would be a good excuse?

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #147 on: 12 February 2011, 10:16:18 »
What would be a good excuse?

I'm not sure there's a good one for your aggressive neighbor suddenly taking over a factory world on your border that a fair amount of your military output was coming from.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #148 on: 12 February 2011, 13:33:11 »
I think the main reason is that Dark Age screwed up again.

Now TPTB have the unenviable task of fixing up the mess.

Perhaps the planet was traded for a set period of time, in trade for a few battalions of top of the line Battlemechs?
« Last Edit: 12 February 2011, 13:35:07 by Top Sergeant »

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #149 on: 13 February 2011, 07:50:31 »
I wonder if TPTB will just say that the map  is in error.  Majistracy is spelled wrong.

Register