Author Topic: Power is a goal. Pleasure is eternal. Welcome to Canopus.  (Read 218047 times)

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
Re: Power is a goal. Pleasure is eternal. Welcome to Canopus.
« Reply #630 on: 28 December 2012, 00:54:00 »
I assume that the operating capacity of the various Novis AT-H factories should be 100% instead of 0%.

I also find it interesting that, despite the MoC never needing to produce Primitive `Mechs, they're producing quite a few. Hopefully there's quite a bit of exporting going on, and maybe we'll see those factories converted to standard `Mechs

No news on the Dictators though.
0% losses in the Jihad is most likely, and the 100% function just got pushed off the table.  As far as Primitives, I see mention here and there of "production will taper off as proper mechs come online" but well...I'd say hell, keep churning them out.  Put them in your secondline formations, militias and whatnot, and free up proper battletanks and whatnot for the main defenses.  I daresay things like a Thunderbolt or Shadowhawk or Ostwar could do a number on a pirate group.  And well, considering the technological situation the MOC is still in as far as upgraded tech goes, well, any mechs are good mechs.

As far as what some people are calling an error, it's simple - the book says the Canopians were never forced to build primitives.  In that same paragraph, the very next second follows it up with an explanation - all their modern battlemech lines stayed open; they never really lost anything in the Jihad.  They chose to expand, but it wasn't a case of "primitives or nothing."

Good catch on the Dictators though. They're certainly not being built within the MoC as we know it; maybe there's a hint in ISP3?  Or else they really did just capture/recover a bunch of them somewhere...
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #631 on: 28 December 2012, 01:35:41 »
As far as what some people are calling an error, it's simple - the book says the Canopians were never forced to build primitives.  In that same paragraph, the very next second follows it up with an explanation - all their modern battlemech lines stayed open; they never really lost anything in the Jihad.  They chose to expand, but it wasn't a case of "primitives or nothing."

Yeah, I'm not sure I'd call it an error, just sort of surprised that so many popped up when it wasn't strictly necessary. More of a money making scheme than a desperate measure. Hopefully as time goes on the production would get upgraded to standard BattleMechs. I'm sure the remnants of the FWL are a good place to sell both primitive and standard BattleMechs, not to mention using the primitives to bulk out militias and training companies for a while.

Good catch on the Dictators though. They're certainly not being built within the MoC as we know it; maybe there's a hint in ISP3?  Or else they really did just capture/recover a bunch of them somewhere...

Well, they could be producing them in the Magistracy and its just that the RotS doesn't know :) But yeah. I was looking over ISP3 the other day and I wonder if Midden might hold the answer. Its just a random thought, but maybe its a boneyard as well as a "Dumping" ground.

Interestingly, it looks like they put the Princess into production. Considering how expensive and complex its supposed to be, I don't see the MoC having any trouble with the Dictator.

The final interesting bit is that each time the Magistracy's BA lines are mentioned, its called "Trinity" Battle Armor. For the Taurians, its listed as the "Asterion." I wonder if this is because Detroit and Foxx are producing several different kinds of suits, Theseus, Asterion and Yin Long, or if its just because of a different author. (I also suspect that different authors is the reason for none of the components like engines are mentioned in the MoC writeups like they are for the TC).

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #632 on: 28 December 2012, 08:39:43 »
(I also suspect that different authors is the reason for none of the components like engines are mentioned in the MoC writeups like they are for the TC).

Different authors? There's only one author for Operations: Periphery. Unless Geoff has multiple personalities and hasn't told us.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

97jedi

« Reply #633 on: 28 December 2012, 12:12:09 »
Maybe some of me told you, and some did not.  ;)

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #634 on: 28 December 2012, 16:22:32 »
Really? Huh, strange. I would've expected different sections to have different authors.

So why does one part name the Asterion exactly, but others use the term Trinity? Does this mean the MoC is producing multiple types of the Trinity armor? And why does one section go into detail down to engines and weapons while the other doesn't?

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #635 on: 28 December 2012, 16:26:28 »
Really? Huh, strange. I would've expected different sections to have different authors.
Good lord, with those small sections? The data was supplied by the Factory section of the MUL team.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #636 on: 28 December 2012, 17:43:03 »
So any thoughts on the extra section of the Foxx Infantry Systems?

Youngblood

• Captain
  • metalmans no longer dumpy or metal, can't touch
« Reply #637 on: 28 December 2012, 17:49:13 »
So any thoughts on the extra section of the Foxx Infantry Systems?

That new line is probably going to build either the Theseus "Kill-Shot", or one of the two Asterion (Upgrade) kits.  See RS 3085 ONN.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #638 on: 28 December 2012, 18:16:16 »
That was my thought as well, though they're already producing that Theseus someplace. Despite appearing in 3085, they've been around since the early 3070's. Though I suppose they could be looking to crank them out in two places so they can build their forces up.

The Asterion Upgrade is unlikely, since it seems to be TC only.

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
  • Also known as the mighty Iron Liz
« Reply #639 on: 10 January 2013, 13:44:59 »
I've looked over several of the Magistracy maps during specific eras like the height of the Star League and 3068 and notice a number of planets disappear from the Magistracy's territory. 

Planets like "Mondra" or "Kleinwelt" simply vanish from the maps. 

Is there much detail that describes if these planets broke away or if they simply died out as failed colonies?  You'd think if they died out, the Magistracy would be interested in restarting them instead of messing with all the political wrangling with the Taurians over the Fronc region (and that ultimately backfired).

Just curious.  Thanks.

Youngblood

• Captain
  • metalmans no longer dumpy or metal, can't touch
« Reply #640 on: 10 January 2013, 15:05:59 »
There are failed colonies, and then there are radioactive hulks orbiting a star. >:D See how many planets the Capellans lose (not to other States) between 2822 and 3025.

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #641 on: 10 January 2013, 15:53:19 »
Kleinwelt is one of the worlds of the region now referred to as the Canopian Ruins in the recent Interstellar Players 3: Interstellar Expeditions; there's a write-up for the world in that file, and it's shown on the rimward sector map also published there.
« Last Edit: 10 January 2013, 15:57:22 by Nerroth »

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #642 on: 10 January 2013, 16:53:12 »
Another Question:

The Magistracy is said to have Catgirls.  Is that official canon?  Is there a book that discusses women who want to undergo "feline augmentation?"

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #643 on: 10 January 2013, 16:55:01 »
Though an even better question would be what sort of augmentations should there be if you wanted to play as a Catgirl in Time of War.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #644 on: 10 January 2013, 17:19:25 »
The RPG rules are in the Time of War Companion.

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #645 on: 10 January 2013, 17:22:02 »
Is that book out yet?

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #646 on: 10 January 2013, 17:23:48 »
Is that book out yet?
As a .pdf, probably still at the printers for a print copy.

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #647 on: 10 January 2013, 17:26:37 »
Ok thanks.  I prefer buying the books, personally so I'll look into that

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #648 on: 10 January 2013, 17:30:49 »
There are failed colonies, and then there are radioactive hulks orbiting a star. >:D See how many planets the Capellans lose (not to other States) between 2822 and 3025.

Keep in mind that except for a few limited conflicts, the Periphery mostly stayed out of the Succession Wars. They didn't lose their planets (directly) to conflicts, they lost them due to economic and technological difficulties (There's one planet that was lost/damaged due to a bioweapon attack by the Taurians). The only other chance for them to have been lost to warfare is during the Periphery Uprising in the 2760's, and the Star League's response. I have no doubt that the fighting there was incredibly brutal, and utilized nuclear weapons, but I doubt it was on the Planetary killing level (though again, damage could lead to technological loss, which leads to colony loss).

Is there much detail that describes if these planets broke away or if they simply died out as failed colonies?  You'd think if they died out, the Magistracy would be interested in restarting them instead of messing with all the political wrangling with the Taurians over the Fronc region (and that ultimately backfired).

There isn't much data on why those colonies disappeared. As Nerroth said, there's some data in the most recent ISP book, but only on 2 or 3 planets (including one that wasn't on the 2750 Magistracy Map). Like the loss of most of the planets in the BT universe during the Succession Wars, there just isn't alot of specific data.

As to why they went with new colonies instead of restarting older ones, well, if you look at the maps, they did a little of both. The Magistracy rediscovered/reconnected/repopulated some colonies, such as Vixen and Kossandra's Memory, while they also went into the Fronc Reaches with the Taurians. Politics explains most of the Fronc Reaches. It was supposed to be a joint Periphery project between the Magistracy and Taurians, to reinforce trade and political ties. The Magistracy isn't able to stand isolated, and this was a good way to get room to expand, while having someone else help pay for it, as well as linking to two nations together.

As to why they didn't go for some of the other colonies that the previously had, it could be that they went for the ones that are easier to connect with/to rebuild. Its possible that they ones they haven't rebuilt require technology that's still too expensive, or still not available to the Magistracy to become viable again.

Though an even better question would be what sort of augmentations should there be if you wanted to play as a Catgirl in Time of War.

I was working on an Ebon Magistrate Catgirl a while back for fun, I might have to continue, though its not technically by the rules since I think you have to buy augmentations with XP during Chargen..

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #649 on: 10 January 2013, 17:46:15 »
Thanks Maelwys.

As to why they went with new colonies instead of restarting older ones, well, if you look at the maps, they did a little of both. The Magistracy rediscovered/reconnected/repopulated some colonies, such as Vixen and Kossandra's Memory, while they also went into the Fronc Reaches with the Taurians. Politics explains most of the Fronc Reaches. It was supposed to be a joint Periphery project between the Magistracy and Taurians, to reinforce trade and political ties. The Magistracy isn't able to stand isolated, and this was a good way to get room to expand, while having someone else help pay for it, as well as linking to two nations together.

As to why they didn't go for some of the other colonies that the previously had, it could be that they went for the ones that are easier to connect with/to rebuild. Its possible that they ones they haven't rebuilt require technology that's still too expensive, or still not available to the Magistracy to become viable again.

I understand the need to seek out help in the Periphery, especially with the MoC because their planets don't appear to be quite as heavily populated as the Taurians or even Alphard.  I suppose those former colonies would also be targets to Marian pirates or other pirate groups and would require additional armed forces to protect them.  It looks like their policies are more targeted toward political strengthening rather than internal strengthening.

I was working on an Ebon Magistrate Catgirl a while back for fun, I might have to continue, though its not technically by the rules since I think you have to buy augmentations with XP during Chargen..

Also, I'd love to see what you came up with.  I once made a Pleasure Circus performer who played a mermaid, but didn't undergo any surgery to make it permanent.  I wonder if the Catgirl augmentations should counted as the Cosmetic Surgery that gives you the Attractive trait.

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #650 on: 10 January 2013, 18:00:05 »
If I remember correctly, my FLGS in Toronto has had print copies of A Time of War Companion in stock already.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #651 on: 10 January 2013, 18:13:13 »
Thanks Maelwys.

No problem.

I understand the need to seek out help in the Periphery, especially with the MoC because their planets don't appear to be quite as heavily populated as the Taurians or even Alphard.  I suppose those former colonies would also be targets to Marian pirates or other pirate groups and would require additional armed forces to protect them.  It looks like their policies are more targeted toward political strengthening rather than internal strengthening.

Populations in BT have always been weird. Trying to figure them out, or how/why their changing is almost impossible. Or what the effects are going to be.

Though I'd have to disagree with the premise that the Magistracy is going for political strength rather than internal. They did infact reclaim quite a few worlds, and at the same time, they've managed to improve their economy, build new production facilities, and increase their military to the point that its the largest in the Periphery (until the Ravens showed up most likely).

Also, I'd love to see what you came up with.  I once made a Pleasure Circus performer who played a mermaid, but didn't undergo any surgery to make it permanent.  I wonder if the Catgirl augmentations should counted as the Cosmetic Surgery that gives you the Attractive trait.

I'll have to flip through it and finalize a few things and post it at some point. Its mostly tongue in cheek, though it is kind of amusing.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #652 on: 10 January 2013, 18:44:50 »
Specifically catgirls, no.  There is mention of SLDF troops, in the recent Field Manual, getting "animal-themed prosthetics" which is about as close as anyone's going to get.  There is also the infamous mermaid, oh wait.

Yes, catgirls are canon.  A Time Of War, page 188.

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #653 on: 10 January 2013, 18:49:39 »
Specifically catgirls, no.  There is mention of SLDF troops, in the recent Field Manual, getting "animal-themed prosthetics" which is about as close as anyone's going to get.  There is also the infamous mermaid, oh wait.

Yes, catgirls are canon.  A Time Of War, page 188.

That is so awesome!  I'll make a request that they include the surgical procedures in the next rules supplement! 

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #654 on: 10 January 2013, 18:57:46 »
No problem.
Populations in BT have always been weird. Trying to figure them out, or how/why their changing is almost impossible. Or what the effects are going to be.

In the "Major Periphery States" book it said that Canopus IV only had about a billion people, whereas Alphard has like four billion.  It's surprising that the Lothian League was able to put up any amount of resistance with Lothario's barely two million planetary population.

Though I'd have to disagree with the premise that the Magistracy is going for political strength rather than internal. They did infact reclaim quite a few worlds, and at the same time, they've managed to improve their economy, build new production facilities, and increase their military to the point that its the largest in the Periphery (until the Ravens showed up most likely).

Well, what I meant was that previously the Magistracy worked a bit more internally using their own industries and people to improve their infrastructure.  I can't remember the name of the exact company, but the Magestrix herself once stepped in and revitalized a failing corporation rather than seeking out other corporations to replace it.  You did see a dramatic shift in their politics by becoming friendly with the Capellans and the Taurians.  Previous to the 3060's, they were friendly, but preferred to go it on their own.

At least that's how I saw it.  Of course, there are many more books I need to pick up.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #655 on: 10 January 2013, 20:00:00 »
That is so awesome!  I'll make a request that they include the surgical procedures in the next rules supplement!
No need, it's all there

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #657 on: 11 January 2013, 07:30:39 »
In the "Major Periphery States" book it said that Canopus IV only had about a billion people, whereas Alphard has like four billion.  It's surprising that the Lothian League was able to put up any amount of resistance with Lothario's barely two million planetary population.

2 and 3 billion respectively, I think. But populations and their affects have always been weird.

Well, what I meant was that previously the Magistracy worked a bit more internally using their own industries and people to improve their infrastructure.  I can't remember the name of the exact company, but the Magestrix herself once stepped in and revitalized a failing corporation rather than seeking out other corporations to replace it.  You did see a dramatic shift in their politics by becoming friendly with the Capellans and the Taurians.  Previous to the 3060's, they were friendly, but preferred to go it on their own.

True, Emma Centrella did try to build up her own nation's economy. Which makes sense. But I think even she realized that eventually there was only so much you could do on your own. Hence outside interests.

Interestingly for the catgirl, there isn't a "package" option like there is for the Mermaid, Centaur and Naga. You've got to build it up piece by piece.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #658 on: 11 January 2013, 08:46:58 »
Sorry, A Time Of War COMPANION.  And yes the rules are quite in there, for either genetic mods or surgery and prosthetics.  Page 49.

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #659 on: 11 January 2013, 14:20:06 »
Sorry, A Time Of War COMPANION.  And yes the rules are quite in there, for either genetic mods or surgery and prosthetics.  Page 49.

Well, I ordered the book last night.  Can't wait to check it out!