Author Topic: Power is a goal. Pleasure is eternal. Welcome to Canopus.  (Read 218053 times)

Offworlder

• Sergeant
Re: Power is a goal. Pleasure is eternal. Welcome to Canopus.
« Reply #690 on: 26 January 2013, 18:34:38 »
*nods*

Well, IIRC, the Capellans and the Magistracy were the only two powers that didn't send troops and forces to Devlin Stone to fight the Blakists and opted to do so "in their own way."  While the other powers have some stake in playing nice with the new Republic (i.e they lost valuable worlds and soldiers), the Magistracy and the Capellans didn't.  The Capellans weren't a part of the coalition, and I suspect you're right that the Republic views the Magistracy as a wild card.  If they devoted their military to the Capellans, it would make Republican lives much more difficult, but it appears as though the Magistracy for the most part stays out of Operation Golden Fortress.

All true. Frankly, the impression I'm getting is that the Canopians are playing a deep game - knowing something others don't and keeping it hidden. Also the Jihad seems to have scarred them in the sense that they are cautious. We also know little of MIM activities so maybe, just maybe, they are up to something but its hidden from the Republic's eyes (and ours of course... :()

BTW what happened to Caesar's Cohort, the merc unit during the Jihad? They disappeared completely...they were one of my favourite merc units...
Someone said that information is ammunition. Both are for sale at the nearest League outpost...and more!

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #691 on: 26 January 2013, 19:31:43 »
Ya it seems Magistracy is the dominate state in the periphery. The TC is practically no more and only Marian Hegemony is the only real other growing power in the periphery and there too smart to tangle with the Magistracy.

Well, if you read FR:p and OR:P, the Taurians are badly wounded, and their industry is smaller, but it got a tech upgraded. Right now, the thing that limit the most the Taurians in politics, not logistics.
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #692 on: 26 January 2013, 19:41:24 »
All true. Frankly, the impression I'm getting is that the Canopians are playing a deep game - knowing something others don't and keeping it hidden. Also the Jihad seems to have scarred them in the sense that they are cautious. We also know little of MIM activities so maybe, just maybe, they are up to something but its hidden from the Republic's eyes (and ours of course... :()

Knowing something? Maybe. There is that one image that shows the Wolverine's path heading towards the Magistracy and then out in a rimward direction. But I hope not :)

BTW what happened to Caesar's Cohort, the merc unit during the Jihad? They disappeared completely...they were one of my favourite merc units...

Last I saw was in Masters and Minions where they're talked about fighting on Lockton with the remains of the 2nd and 3rd Light Horse and repulsing the Blakist attack there (M&M p. 179). Of course, neither the 2nd nor the 3rd's writeup mentions this fighting in FM3085, so its possible that the M&M writeup was false, or that the writers didn't have space to add it in. They don't show up in the FM3085 merc roster, but that's just "Notable" mercs, so they might just not have been listed. Or maybe they got folded up into the Light Horse units during the Jihad.

Hmm. Interesting, Griffin's Pride is listed as being on an unaligned world, instead of in the Magistracy.

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
  • Also known as the mighty Iron Liz
« Reply #693 on: 26 January 2013, 20:14:37 »

Well, all we know is what the Field Report for 3085 tells us (which is written from the perspective of the RotS).  The Canopians did lose the headquarters to the MIM and its been rebuilt elsewhere that still eludes the Republic.  Even previous to the Jihad, the Blakist reports indicated that the Magistracy was in a dangerous (to them) position because they had skilled diplomats, an experienced military leader (Hadji Doru), and the MIM with the Ebon Magistrate. 

Even if they AREN'T up to anything, there's plenty to speculate about.  The biggest strength of the Magistracy are their diplomats, and as arrogant as Naomi can be, she's also an extremely adept stateswoman.  I'm also sure that whatever the truth is, the MIM is going to make seem like the Magistracy is far ahead of whatever they actually are.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #694 on: 31 January 2013, 15:33:16 »
TR Vehicle Annex had some new and old stuff for the Magistracy. The Magistracy still has the Whitestreak Jetski and the Motorboat, as well as the Scavenger/Vampyr SalvageMech. The MIM version of the Motorboat is confirmed, and the Magistracy got a MilitiaMech version of the Scavenger (Though its apparently poorly armed and armored, so they don't produce many).

Perhaps the most interesting bit is that there's a writeup talking about how Whitestreak Inc. is backed by the MIM.

Now, I don't know if that means that the MIM set up Whitestreak as a front company, or if its just talking about the MIM purchasing their version of the Whitestreak (or kicking in some extra funding to make sure the company producing their motorboat is still around during financial difficulties), but its a nice little tie in that could be fun.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #695 on: 31 January 2013, 15:56:00 »
MIM is awesome, right?  SAFE may have had XTC spacesuit troopers with gyroslug rifles on their airless moon base.  But, MIM has cyber catgirls, auto rifle carrying helicopter chefs and James Bond watercraft.

I'm really liking how the direction the MAF is going for new military equipment.  It seems they are embracing their position rather well.  It appears they are going in the direction of spec ops (MIM) and a flexible, reliable infantry doctrine, both conventional and powered.  This, backed by solid conventional assets, dependable Pennys and the new infusion of retrotech/industrials.  Very Periphery and interesting.

Next up, cyber ninja catgirls on dragons.  Keep your eyes peeled.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #696 on: 31 January 2013, 16:21:42 »
autorifle carrying helicopter chefs?

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #697 on: 31 January 2013, 18:00:16 »
Well, the Andurians have the dragons...

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #698 on: 31 January 2013, 21:13:06 »
autorifle carrying helicopter chefs?

Even has the riding boots for the imported Branths.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Death by Zeus

• Warrant Officer
  • 3rd Lyran Regulars
« Reply #699 on: 31 January 2013, 23:30:57 »
But wait, where's her food processor?  :D
Light 'mech pilots benefit from big balls and small brains.

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #700 on: 31 January 2013, 23:32:20 »
But wait, where's her food processor?  :D

Now e know why the Ebony Assault Rifle weighs so much. O0

Death by Zeus

• Warrant Officer
  • 3rd Lyran Regulars
« Reply #701 on: 31 January 2013, 23:34:53 »
Doh, silly me.  It's in the buttstock!   ;)

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #702 on: 01 February 2013, 00:34:06 »
The auto rifle is the food processor.  Depending on your definition of food, of course.

The collar is too high, but the fold over style of the jacket made me think of a chef's jacket.  It's actually one of my favorite 3085 uniforms.  I was excited to see what they were, read the Raventhir's Iron Hand part, more excitement...  PBIs.  Auto rifle tottin', MG schleppin' PBIs.  Oh well.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #703 on: 01 February 2013, 03:07:45 »
Now e know why the Ebony Assault Rifle weighs so much. O0

And amusingly, no one, including Magistracy PCs, can get one starting off in ATOW :)

Though I *almost* think that a Blazer is just a better choice all around. Lighter, cheaper, with the same damage as the High-Energy setting, and its extreme range is only 20 meters shorter than the Extended-range setting. Its only real advantage is that its "fluffy" for the MoC.

Death by Zeus

• Warrant Officer
  • 3rd Lyran Regulars
« Reply #704 on: 01 February 2013, 04:33:04 »
AND, it doesn't have a food processor in it!  ;D

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #705 on: 02 February 2013, 11:35:47 »
I like the Lung Wang's nose bay and carrying capacity, but I can't get over the lack of weapons in its Aft Left/Right quarters. Its a small window, but the lack of weaponry there leaves actual gaps where the Lung Wang can be shot and not respond, since despite the picture, it a spheroid.

Not a bug, its a feature. #P I figure it means the ASFs are just forced to stick a bit closer to it, esp as the Lung Wang can do a decent job of punching its own way in.  Just needs the ASFs watching its six.

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #706 on: 02 February 2013, 11:38:51 »
And amusingly, no one, including Magistracy PCs, can get one starting off in ATOW :)

Though I *almost* think that a Blazer is just a better choice all around. Lighter, cheaper, with the same damage as the High-Energy setting, and its extreme range is only 20 meters shorter than the Extended-range setting. Its only real advantage is that its "fluffy" for the MoC.

Well, there we go then.  Is the Ebony just the OICW of the BT verse? :D

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #707 on: 02 February 2013, 21:59:17 »
Well, I was never turned on to the Ebony Assault Rifle primarily because it burned through so much power.  I suppose I lean more towards sniper rifles for the same effect, personally.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #708 on: 03 February 2013, 08:23:07 »
Yeah, its really more of a "Oh cool, the Magistracy is making an advanced laser rifle!" and being happy to see that there's a Magistracy affiliated weapon on the books, than it is a really great weapon.

Hopefully we'll see more advances :)

Offworlder

• Sergeant
« Reply #709 on: 09 February 2013, 12:44:06 »
Well the way it looks these days...

With a prototype Vengeance assault dropship, Dictators and several mech designs, the Canopians are showing one major element of superiority over other periphery states - R&D. They do not only have the ability to produce stuff but they actually can design stuff even of the most complicated nature (like assault dropships). Even the TC can only produce only a few mech designs and patrol craft. I would just like to see if they are able to build jumpships as well someday...
Someone said that information is ammunition. Both are for sale at the nearest League outpost...and more!

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #710 on: 10 February 2013, 00:15:37 »
With a prototype Vengeance assault dropship, Dictators and several mech designs, the Canopians are showing one major element of superiority over other periphery states - R&D. They do not only have the ability to produce stuff but they actually can design stuff even of the most complicated nature (like assault dropships). Even the TC can only produce only a few mech designs and patrol craft. I would just like to see if they are able to build jumpships as well someday...

Even with the `Mech designs you had to wonder how much of an influence the Capellans had. We know the Eyleuka had Capellan help, but we don't really know much about the others. The Penthesilea may be the only design that was done strictly in-house by the Magistracy (or atleast its one of the few with that feel).

The Dictators aren't really a sign of R&D either. There's no sign that they've been upgraded beyond what they originally were. Heck, since we don't even know where they came from, for all we know they simply discovered a cache somewhere.

The same with the Vengeance-DC. For all we know somewhere in deep space the Ebon Magistrate managed to capture it from the WoB.

Not to put the MoC down of course :) but most of it is circumstantial. On the other hand, we do know that they produced the Ebon Magistrate, and the Ebony Assault Rifle (despite my reservations of the weapon) shows that the Magistracy is doing SOME R&D on their own. The same with the Majesty Metals and Mining weapons. So they're doing some things, I'm just not sure R&D can take credit for all them.

Honestly, the Vengeance-DC puzzles me as to why the Magistracy couldn't produce it on their own. Its smaller than the Princess-class Luxury Liner, so it isn't a matter of the size. Maybe infrastructure, but I can't help thinking they could add on to the Princess line so they didn't have to build the complete infrastructure from scratch.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #711 on: 10 February 2013, 02:06:46 »
You know, I've been doing some thinking. I'm beginning to wonder if there was a hidden SLDF fleet base somewhere out in the Canopian region (and maybe in the Taurian Region, but they can discuss that in their own thread :) ). Not necessarily something as big as Gabriel, bu something that would allow the SLDF to repair and refit ships in case of major troubles.

The Ninth Fleet is stationed at Canopus. Figure around 53 ships. Who knows how many Garrison Fleet ships are in Canopian space as well.  The 17th Fleet moves between the Magistracy and the Hegemony, while the 7th and 18th are stationed along the border of the FWL and Magistracy.

3 Fleets in the area, 1 that shows up from time to time.

And yet the SLDF base at Canopus is considered small (though it does have drydocks for maintenance and minor repairs).  True, the 7th Fleet has its own bays at Hindmarsh, but doesn't it seem like there should be something more substantial, or atleast in a less precarious place if things do go wrong?

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #712 on: 10 February 2013, 10:14:14 »
My guess about the Vengence and Dictators is that there was a WOB shipyard somewhere and the MOC found it.

ArcaneRaven

• Lieutenant
« Reply #713 on: 10 February 2013, 10:24:34 »
Unfortunately, the Vengeance-DC (Danai Centrella) is not produced in Canopian space. The Magistracy does not possess shipyards capable of this feat.

This new class is build in the Confederation and the output is shared between both nations.

A bit unnerving, that the Canopian Navy relies 100% on Capellan manufactures.  :-\

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #714 on: 10 February 2013, 10:51:59 »
My guess about the Vengence and Dictators is that there was a WOB shipyard somewhere and the MOC found it.

Its as good as one as any. Or a RWR yard that the WoB found and refurbished, which then the MoC found while hunting Blakists. A former RWR one would explain why its not mentioned in FM:SLDF.

Unfortunately, the Vengeance-DC (Danai Centrella) is not produced in Canopian space. The Magistracy does not possess shipyards capable of this feat.

This new class is build in the Confederation and the output is shared between both nations.

A bit unnerving, that the Canopian Navy relies 100% on Capellan manufactures.  :-\

Well, not totally 100% reliant. They've still got their uh. Leopard line. And they can produce Princess-Class Liners! Though we're not necessarily saying they can produce the Vengeance. But if there were a Refurbishment yard instead of a full production line out there, that might explain the Dictators, and if the WoB were using it to refurbish the Vengeance when the MoC captured it, that could explain it as well.

Offworlder

• Sergeant
« Reply #715 on: 13 February 2013, 13:45:29 »
Its pretty obvious that beyond the Canopian borders, in SL times there must have been some outposts etc. Having said that too many people seem to rely on the fact that WoB had a base in the area. Frankly, my guess would be more in a different direction...

The Canopians have their pleasure circuses all over the Inner sphere and beyond (hehe they even got stuff in the middle of nowhere in the periphery). These provide them with two things (in canon) money and a cover for espionage. Thus it may be that the new Vengeance is a 'byproduct' of such activities.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #716 on: 13 February 2013, 15:06:26 »
Now quite sure where you're going with that really, other than they might have stumbled across something somehow.

The writeup in XTRO Periphery suggests that they might have hijacked it from the Blakists, so it isn't that far of a stretch. Though if the Blakists had a base like that out there in the boondocks of the Magistracy, I would've expected the Shadow Division to be based there instead of Aspirogoros.

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #717 on: 14 February 2013, 20:57:50 »
Hmm...well, I recall reading that the Dictators fielded by the Magistracy were supposed to be in 'pristine condition' indicating they were stored in some storage facility or they were built recently.  If I had to guess, the main partisan forces were pushed off the most populous Magistracy planets when the Blakists invaded and probably sought refuge in the nearby 'Canopian Ruins.'

Finding a forgotten SLDF base with a number of Dictators seems more plausible than it does a Blakist contingent constructing an elaborate facility in the heart of Magistracy space without them knowing.  While the Blakists did occupy the area, it takes time to build a shipyard and even more time to build a fleet of DropShips.  Even with the Blakists it seems far-fetched in a Periphery state.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #718 on: 15 February 2013, 06:01:18 »
Yup, 'Pristine' condition. We know that the Overlord-class DropShip that replaced the Dictator showed up in the 2760s, so maybe a unit had their original Dictators replaced and put into mothballs before the Periphery uprising.

Of course, we're not necessarily arguing that the Blakists built the facility, more like found/activated a facility.

Lets say that it was some sort of storage facility/boneyard. Then it would stand to reason as well that there are some sort of decommissioning/recommissioning facilities as well I'd think. Not a full production line or anything, but enough to pull the Dictators out of mothballs, perform maintenance and repair, and to refit them to put them back into usage.

Now, if there's a minor facility like that, then it might be enough for some Blakist to tinker with refitting a Vengeance as well. Then if the Magistracy captures it, then they have a Vengeance, but no way to actually mass produce it (the yard can only do slow refits) and any data they have on it is more suited for refitting than production. So they take the Vengeance to the Capellans, tell them to pour over it and figure out how to mass produce it.

It sort of fits. A boneyard/refit facility would make sense, rather than a full production line.

Of course, you've got to ask about the timing as well. The Magistracy started to deploy the Dictators around 3070. That's pretty quick after the Jihad started and when they're still dealing with Blakists..is it likely they found a Blakist refit yard that quickly? Why would the Blakists be refitting the Dictators back to Star League standards (actually, more like Reunification War standards).  If it were a Magistracy project all along, that might make more sense.

Lets say the Canopians stumble across an old, Star League era boneyard with minor refit/repair facilities, sometime in the 3060's. They find Dictators there, left over from the Star League (the League didn't take them when they pulled out because it would've taken too long to recommission them, time they didn't have once Amaris struck Terra, and they didn't want to hang around in potentially dangerous space).

They can always use DropShips, so they refurbish the facility, and start to recommission the Dictators. They don't have lots and lots of experience designing/building new DropShips, so they figure they'll put them back to their original configuration. No need to design anything new, no need to make Part D fit into the tabs for Part A. Keep it Simple.

Then at some point, maybe they start to run out of Dictators to bring back into service. So someone says "Lets push the boundary" and they start to slowly reconfigure a single Vengeance with advanced technology, inside and out.

It could work. The question is the details :)

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #719 on: 15 February 2013, 12:06:15 »
I say they're all found from McEvedy's Folly, where the Wolverines mothballed all the stuff they couldn't take into ComStar. :P