Author Topic: Power is a goal. Pleasure is eternal. Welcome to Canopus.  (Read 218056 times)

Maelwys

• Major
Re: Power is a goal. Pleasure is eternal. Welcome to Canopus.
« Reply #720 on: 15 February 2013, 13:31:21 »
Heh. Well, while that's probably a tongue-in-cheek comment, the fluff on the Dictators has them being destroyed during the Amaris Crisis and abandoned for the Overlord for the Exodus, so the Wolverines probably didn't have too many of them :)

Though speaking of McEvedy's Folly, hopefully the Magistracy is smart enough to keep an eye on, or in the various IE exploration groups moving through Canopian and former Canopian space. I get the feeling the Magistracy might need to make sure they don't stumble across a few things.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #721 on: 24 February 2013, 00:07:35 »
So an interesting little tidbit that came out of one of the Taurian threads...

The Trznadel Cluster that the Canopians discovered sometime during the Star League era has the number 60 next to it. Now, I always assumed that was the number of stars, but apparently that's the number of inhabited systems.

I assume they're rather small habitations (the only reference to them I've found has been in Major Periphery States) where they're called "mining enclaves), but that's still a much larger set of resources than I previously thought.

Not much help for the mysteries of the Canopians, but I thought it was interesting.

Offworlder

• Sergeant
« Reply #722 on: 06 March 2013, 07:26:43 »
Well there is also an assumption that there may be more systems that are only marginally inhabited with like mining colonies, stop over posts or somesuch. What we see on the map are the larger, more important planets with millions or billions of inhabitants.

However, its pretty interesting to have so many inhabited planets in dense clusters - actually makes running a nation or economy much more efficient. Whatever you need is within a jump  or so.

BTW would that mean that Pirates Haven had 50 planets full of pirates?  :o
Someone said that information is ammunition. Both are for sale at the nearest League outpost...and more!

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #723 on: 06 March 2013, 09:30:35 »
Indeed.  A stronghold of the peg leg industry.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

Death by Zeus

• Warrant Officer
  • 3rd Lyran Regulars
« Reply #724 on: 06 March 2013, 18:15:42 »
  :D AYE, we turn some of the finest peg legs in the Sphere, and carve The most elaborate ones!  :D ;D
Light 'mech pilots benefit from big balls and small brains.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #725 on: 06 March 2013, 23:57:11 »
  :D AYE, we turn some of the finest peg legs in the Sphere, and carve The most elaborate ones!  :D ;D
I want a Frankenmech BCN-3R with a tree for a left leg!
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Offworlder

• Sergeant
« Reply #726 on: 25 March 2013, 14:25:12 »
In the IE book, we know that there are pleasure circuses or shall we say dubious Canopian businesses even in the deep periphery. But do we actually know how far these stretch both within and without the IS?

Given that they are used as covers for MIM operations, why would the Canopians be spying all over the place? And how do they get info back to Canopus in good time to be useful?
Someone said that information is ammunition. Both are for sale at the nearest League outpost...and more!

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #727 on: 25 March 2013, 16:56:23 »
In the IE book, we know that there are pleasure circuses or shall we say dubious Canopian businesses even in the deep periphery. But do we actually know how far these stretch both within and without the IS?

Which bit in particular are you talking about from IE?

Given that they are used as covers for MIM operations, why would the Canopians be spying all over the place? And how do they get info back to Canopus in good time to be useful?

Well, they CAN be used as cover for MIM operations. It doesn't mean that all of them are. It could simply be that those business are exactly that, businesses making money (or attempting to).

Now, if we did assume that the MIM has people everywhere, its because they want to know what's going on. Either because they're worried about something or because they just want to keep tabs on the area (just like everyone else).

As for communicating in a timely manner, I doubt the information they're pulling in is information that needs to be known right away. They're not looking for signs that Canopus is about to be invaded, and they must warn the Magistracy right away, they're looking for things like new colonies, or expanding colonies, or new businesses. Information that could be helpful down the line, but not necessarily helpful right away. Saying that I'm sure they've got orders to check in every once in a while, or have contacts that will take a message to point B, which forwards it on to point C, which forwards it to Point D.

Offworlder

• Sergeant
« Reply #728 on: 28 March 2013, 13:46:40 »
Look at the entry of Rest Stop (pg71). There's a space brothel (the Spinward Showgirl) in the middle of nowhere. If that is not an undercover operation, I don't know what is.  ::)

However, Maelwys, you may have hit the nail on the head in the sense that probably the Canopian Circuses undercover operations would be more targeted towards possibly industrial espionage or general dispositions of house forces.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #729 on: 28 March 2013, 23:33:31 »
Look at the entry of Rest Stop (pg71). There's a space brothel (the Spinward Showgirl) in the middle of nowhere. If that is not an undercover operation, I don't know what is.  ::)

Ah. Well, there's nothing there (unless I missed it) to indicate that the Spinward Showgirl is a Canopian Pleasure Circus. That's why I missed it the first time. It could be Canopian, or it could just be some random entrepreneur. Just because its related to sex, doesn't necessarily mean its Canopian :)

However, Maelwys, you may have hit the nail on the head in the sense that probably the Canopian Circuses undercover operations would be more targeted towards possibly industrial espionage or general dispositions of house forces.

Well, I'd think that location would determine more for what they're going after. Lets say the Spinward Showgirl did have a MIM agent onboard. Their goals for data gathering would be to keep an eye on whatever IE discovered, and send back news whenever mail could be arranged. If there was a MIM agent stationed in the remnants of the FWL, then they might be looking for troop movements, leaves suddenly being canceled, etc. Each mission/objective could conceivably be different. Its just worth noting that a spy stationed out in the middle of nowhere isn't going to be able to communicate quickly or often, and so their data is going to be geared towards information that lasts, or isn't as actionable.

Death by Zeus

• Warrant Officer
  • 3rd Lyran Regulars
« Reply #730 on: 29 March 2013, 02:30:48 »
Ah. Well, there's nothing there (unless I missed it) to indicate that the Spinward Showgirl is a Canopian Pleasure Circus. That's why I missed it the first time. It could be Canopian, or it could just be some random entrepreneur. Just because its related to sex, doesn't necessarily mean its Canopian :).
  ^-^ Yes it does.......  ;)  :)
« Last Edit: 29 March 2013, 02:32:30 by Death by Zeus »
Light 'mech pilots benefit from big balls and small brains.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #731 on: 29 March 2013, 10:45:29 »
Just because its related to sex, doesn't necessarily mean its Canopian :)

The inverse is true as well.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #732 on: 06 April 2013, 16:11:38 »
Not a whole lot for the Magistracy so far out of 3145. I think they get mentioned off hand once in the new TRO, so I'd expect any Magistracy units to show up wherever the Capellan units show up. The Era Report wasn't that surprising. Not too much Magistracy action, beyond supporting the Capellans during their invasions. Some conflict, but mostly as replacements for garrisons while the Cappies go off to fight.

A new unit, the Canopian Lancers is mentioned (a sister unit to the Tau Ceti Lancers).

The Magistracy continues to have their own RATs (mostly). The `Mech RAT isn't too surprising, a few 3039 designs, and then a mixture of everything Cappellan or Canopian from 3050 onwards (From a CTF-3LL Cataphract to the PLG-5Z Pillager).

The vehicle RATs seem to be more of the usual. Nothing too shocking , some 3039 designs, some advanced designs, but nothing that really screams "wow!" (Pos and Pikes abound).

The Magistracy gets to roll on the Capellan's Battle Armor RAT, and not the Periphery General RAT. This means we miss out on things like the Marauder, Spectre (yes, both of those are BA, and not `Mechs) and the Ravager. On the plus side, we have access to something called the Amazon (We'll see in a future TRO) and a Shen Long (again, something we'll see) as well as the usual  Capellan and Magistracy favorites such as the Theseus and Fa Shih and Ying Long.

Aerospace is similar to usual..a mix of older designs and Capellan designs. Even a Royal design or two. And a Clan design or two. DropShips are pretty standard, though the Leopard (PPC) continues to cling to the table, and the top 3 slots are filled with Pocket WarShips (or close to it). If you're going to be transporting a `Mech force however, you may wish to simply pick your DropShips :)

And of course, the RATs don't necessarily mean that's all we get. Just what they felt like putting on there.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #733 on: 06 April 2013, 17:11:17 »
I didn't put 2 and 2 together when considering the Ari Humpries/Ilsa Centrella-Laio marriage.  I had forgotten just how old Ilsa was.  Their alliance now seems to make less sense in the terms of dynasty rulership BT has established.  Perhaps Danai will inherit all three realms?  That is a troubling thought.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #734 on: 06 April 2013, 17:47:35 »
I didn't put 2 and 2 together when considering the Ari Humpries/Ilsa Centrella-Laio marriage.  I had forgotten just how old Ilsa was.  Their alliance now seems to make less sense in the terms of dynasty rulership BT has established.  Perhaps Danai will inherit all three realms?  That is a troubling thought.

Alot of the people in the MWDA era are older than expected. Part of it is you have a 12ish year jump from the start of MWDA to 3145, but in some cases, the people are just older than they come across. Danai Centrella-Liao when she first shows up is in mid to late 20s, commanding a Battalion, when the majority of main characters in the Blood of Kerensky era were in their early 20's commanding a Battalion (or more). Its sort of strange. I know that people (theoretically, as long as they don't get an entire DC invasion force dropped on their head) in the BT universe live longer than people today, but it seems rather strange to think of alot of the rulers should be nearing the end of their rule, rather than the younger dynamic we had in the 3050s and 60s.

Perhaps the marriage is just to secure the border and to keep the FWL from reforming completely, rather than providing a dynastic heritage?

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #735 on: 06 April 2013, 18:13:56 »
I'm disturbed by reports of Danai getting brutal. 

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #736 on: 06 April 2013, 18:19:21 »
Liao blood will do that to you.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #737 on: 06 April 2013, 19:10:20 »
I'm disturbed by reports of Danai getting brutal.

Liao blood will do that to you.

From what I understand, the only place where Danai and her troops got brutal was on New Hessen. They showed no signs of being that way before New Hessen, nor that way after New Hessen. More likely than not its because it was on New Hessen where Danai was raped by Caleb.

Scrollreader

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #738 on: 08 April 2013, 10:27:02 »
So who else is excited about our new Lancers?  Seems just the thing for pirate hunting and raiding, and they likely have combat experience and new tech from fighting against the RAF.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #739 on: 08 April 2013, 10:38:34 »
For some reason i'm not as excited as I think I should be.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #740 on: 09 April 2013, 04:00:00 »
For some reason i'm not as excited as I think I should be.

Wondering where and when the other shoe is going to drop?

Looking at the map and wondering why the Magistracy lost the planets that it did? And if the units that are usually based on those planets went with them?

Realizing in the back of your mind that Danai seems to be the only heir to both the CapCon AND the Magistracy?

Huh. I'm not sure on the dates (and I'm not going to grab the books to look them up), but isn't it surprising that Danai is STILL just a Battalion commander? (Okay, I looked it up. She's been a Battalion commander since atleast 35-36, and I wouldn't be surprised if it happened before that). Maybe I'm just a little off because of the SuperFriends going from Battalion Command to Generals in a single book, but..really? Still?

Youngblood

• Captain
  • metalmans no longer dumpy or metal, can't touch
« Reply #741 on: 09 April 2013, 11:04:26 »
Wondering where and when the other shoe is going to drop?

Looking at the map and wondering why the Magistracy lost the planets that it did? And if the units that are usually based on those planets went with them?

Realizing in the back of your mind that Danai seems to be the only heir to both the CapCon AND the Magistracy?

Huh. I'm not sure on the dates (and I'm not going to grab the books to look them up), but isn't it surprising that Danai is STILL just a Battalion commander? (Okay, I looked it up. She's been a Battalion commander since atleast 35-36, and I wouldn't be surprised if it happened before that). Maybe I'm just a little off because of the SuperFriends going from Battalion Command to Generals in a single book, but..really? Still?

What makes you think she'd do well as a bigger-picture player?  She doesn't seem to be the type.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #742 on: 09 April 2013, 11:52:09 »
What makes you think she'd do well as a bigger-picture player?  She doesn't seem to be the type.

I suppose that's possible, though she does come across as rather competent in the various novels that cover that aspect of her life, including handling multi-planet conflicts (such as when she sent her fighters/raiders off to harass other planets to keep reinforcements from reaching another planet).

I dunno. Just seems sort of weird. Heir to both thrones, in the middle of the conflict, but not competent enough to advance? You'd think they'd move her sideways or something (XO or on general staff someplace to learn more about the CCAF for her future as the Chancellor). 10 years later and in the exact same place seemed kind of odd.

Scrollreader

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #743 on: 09 April 2013, 11:59:05 »
IIRC, she didn't really have a burning desire to /be/ a big picture person.  She was pretty happy on Solaris, before big brother/dad recalled her to be in the army.  And Daoshen may or may not view her as a rival, and hence not be doing her any favors for that reason.  I think she'd be quite a bit happier as Magestrix than Chancellor, myself.  But things do look ... interesting.  Remember, she might end up mixed up in the Andurien succession too, and her friendship with the FWL heir apparent makes that ... well hell.  Who knows what that all entails and will end up being?

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #744 on: 09 April 2013, 12:45:53 »
True, but she also seems to be willing (if not necessarily happy) to go where the Chancellor wants/needs her to go for the good of the Confederation. Considering who she is, considering who she has ties with, considering the side jobs she's had for the Chancellor (negotiating the peace treaty with Jessica Marik...or well, renegotiating it, IIRC), it just seems weird that 10 years later, Danai is still best serving the CapCon as a battalion commander (admittedly, its a prestigious unit).

edit
Not to say I'm not interested in the storyline, and waiting to see where she goes and what she does, it was just something that struck me as sort of odd, but this might be something else that's influenced by the early BT stories where say, Kai Allard Liao went from Leftenant to helping plan multi-regimental attacks, to BFFs with some Jade Falcons to Champion of Solaris to marriage and fatherhood and helping plan the strikeback against the Smoke Jaguars, all in 10ish years.
/edit
« Last Edit: 09 April 2013, 12:51:12 by Maelwys »

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #745 on: 09 April 2013, 14:35:09 »
Personally, I'm of the opinion that MoC, Andurien and the Confederation will merge into a larger power, thus explaining the 'unfamiliar flag' mentioned in 'Surrender Your Dreams'
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #746 on: 09 April 2013, 15:20:32 »
That could mean something else entirely.  It could mean that Kwamashu becomes an independent planet, a "republic" stronghold or part of some new tri-power alliance.  The "Former Duchy of Andurien" location doesn't clear things up, either.  Could mean Kawmasu is abandoned by Andurien or Andurien is no more.

Or the ghost of Kerensky rides in with Clinton's Cutthtroats, the Manei Domini and the Jarnefolk to save the day.  Time will tell. 

But, I don't know if a new mega realm will exist.  The Cappies are already reaching the heights of what I would call acceptible power limits.  A huge nation encompassing Andurien, Canopus and Sian would be like a 2nd rate FedCom.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Blancmanche

• Corporal
« Reply #747 on: 11 April 2013, 01:29:55 »
But, I don't know if a new mega realm will exist.  The Cappies are already reaching the heights of what I would call acceptible power limits.  A huge nation encompassing Andurien, Canopus and Sian would be like a 2nd rate FedCom.

Acceptable power limits? 2nd Rate FedCom? That sounds huge! And exciting! What happens then?

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #748 on: 11 April 2013, 08:31:51 »
The bottom falls out and we start a "Canopus Ascendent" thread talking about how TPTB hate us but will eventually restore MoC to it's god given place at the head of the human race.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #749 on: 11 April 2013, 12:52:42 »
So who else is excited about our new Lancers?  Seems just the thing for pirate hunting and raiding, and they likely have combat experience and new tech from fighting against the RAF.

I can't find a reference to their color scheme. Do we have any idea what it is?
Light Assault Group - An Orwellian appelation applied by the Draconis Combine to troops haphazardly equipped with whatever expendable equipment was lying around the maintenance yard, for the purpose of throwing their lives away for the greater glory of the Dragon, see also Human Bombs.

Register