Author Topic: Power is a goal. Pleasure is eternal. Welcome to Canopus.  (Read 218029 times)

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
Re: Power is a goal. Pleasure is eternal. Welcome to Canopus.
« Reply #870 on: 29 October 2014, 11:53:19 »
I am in the market for a Succession Era to early Clan Invasion faction and Comstar is too behind the scenes. Someone sell me on a Magistracy.

The Magistracy is mostly quiet in this time period.  However, they are involved in some small scale conflicts:

-Joint invasion of the Capellan Confederation with the Duchy of Andurien
-Border war with the Taurian Concordate
-Participation in the St. Ives War, mostly as garrison units.
-Danai Centrella was a part of the SLDF's efforts against the clans.  I think it was the Great Refusal.

Also, besides the two Periphery sourcebooks and FM: Periphery, where can I best find info on the Canopians should I decide to go with them.

Do you have Handbook Major Periphery States?  That is set in 3067.  Inner Sphere might help to flesh out the culture a bit, too.

Alsoooo... What exactly was happening in Canopus during the Jihad. It is damn hard to piece everything together from the Jihad books.

Well, the Word of Blake takes Canopus and burns Crimson down.  They Hadji Doru and Emma hostage.  Ramilie's Raiders executes an uncontracted rescue op that frees Doru.  Emma is killed in the rescue.  Canopian units stuck in the Confederation help defend Sian from the Word of Blake.  They eventually return to liberate the Magistracy with Confederation assistance.  Naomi is taken hostage by the Word of Blake at one point.  The breakaway Andurien Rangers free her.  An eventual joint op on Astrokazy (sp) with the CCAF and MAF effectively ends Word of Blake strategic chances in the area.

Of course these are just the events I remember, in the order I remember them.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #871 on: 29 October 2014, 16:48:32 »
The Magistracy is mostly quiet in this time period.  However, they are involved in some small scale conflicts:

-Joint invasion of the Capellan Confederation with the Duchy of Andurien
-Border war with the Taurian Concordate
-Participation in the St. Ives War, mostly as garrison units.
-Danai Centrella was a part of the SLDF's efforts against the clans.  I think it was the Great Refusal.

Not much to add here, though Danai does die during the fighting on Strana Mechty. You also have the Magistracy's economy growing and becoming more robust, and the increased efficiency of the MIM is noticed by other factions. During the 3050's you also have the various pirate groups striking at the Magistracy, financed by the Word of Blake, which leads to the CapCon/Magistracy alliance.

Do you have Handbook Major Periphery States?  That is set in 3067.  Inner Sphere might help to flesh out the culture a bit, too.

Handbook Major Periphery States is almost a must. You can also check out Masters and Minions for details on the Magistracy during the Jihad, and the novel Double Blind deals with the CapCon/WoB/Magistracy shenanigans in the late 3058's.

Well, the Word of Blake takes Canopus and burns Crimson down.  They Hadji Doru and Emma hostage.  Ramilie's Raiders executes an uncontracted rescue op that frees Doru.  Emma is killed in the rescue.  Canopian units stuck in the Confederation help defend Sian from the Word of Blake.  They eventually return to liberate the Magistracy with Confederation assistance.  Naomi is taken hostage by the Word of Blake at one point.  The breakaway Andurien Rangers free her.  An eventual joint op on Astrokazy (sp) with the CCAF and MAF effectively ends Word of Blake strategic chances in the area.

This is pretty close, but they don't take Naomi hostage, IIRC, they just try to during her transit from Sian to the Magistracy, and are stopped by the Anduriens.

The Blackout and lots of false flag units really messes with what we know about the Magistracy during the time :)

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
« Reply #872 on: 29 October 2014, 17:32:12 »
So why did you all choose Canopus?

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #873 on: 29 October 2014, 19:53:56 »
Their belief of having a high level of health care and really snazzy uniforms.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #874 on: 29 October 2014, 22:40:21 »
Their nightlife.  Canopus is party central!   [rockon]   [cheers]
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #875 on: 30 October 2014, 05:23:24 »
I liked the fact that (At the time) I could play anything from a unit still utilizing really old Succession Wars technology right next to cutting edge Capellan Post-Clan era tech. I liked that their medicine managed to remain advanced, by hook or by crook.

I also looked at the other various Periphery nations and they just didn't really resonate with me. The Taurians didn't have much personality (IMO, other than educated/Paranoid. They really came across as very Successor State), I couldn't really stand the "Space Romans" (which is odd, because I kind of like ancient Rome) and I wasn't that much into Aerospace for the OA to really appeal to me.

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
« Reply #876 on: 31 October 2014, 04:18:57 »
Has anyone tried playing out the Canopian side of Historical: Brush Wars?

Orion

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #877 on: 31 October 2014, 12:31:30 »
I also looked at the other various Periphery nations and they just didn't really resonate with me. The Taurians didn't have much personality (IMO, other than educated/Paranoid. They really came across as very Successor State), I couldn't really stand the "Space Romans" (which is odd, because I kind of like ancient Rome) and I wasn't that much into Aerospace for the OA to really appeal to me.

I want to like the Taurians, but the paranoia drives me away.  The fact that they can build a large number of mech types should be a plus, but instead makes me think they are not really a periphery nation, just a small inner sphere power.  I don't use aerospace in games at all, and only rarely in my stories, so OA are mostly ignored.  I like the idea of using them, just never get around to it.  The MH is nothing more than a large bandit kingdom, whereas the CF is a small bandit kingdom.  I doesn't help that I despise the Space Roman theme (I like Rome, I just hate the implementation here).  While I am more likely to play bandits and pirates than other factions, it is only because I normally take the OpFor role.  I use the various bandits on a regular basis, but I would never choose them as a faction or do anything which shows them favor. They are convenient targets, nothing more.

That leaves me with Canopus.  It's not that I have a love for them, but they are convenient.  Many of my stories take place on the FWL periphery border, so they get used a lot by default.  Depending on the story needs on a given planet, they have been a bunch of man-haters that constantly cause issues for my merc group, a bunch of true-blue good guys trying to help other periphery planets, or beleaguered periphery rednecks needing help fighting pirates. I have never used the pleasure circuses or liberal lifestyles in a story, which knowing myself and my predilections, is really quite surprising.

Quote from: Drewbacca
Has anyone tried playing out the Canopian side of Historical: Brush Wars?

I haven't played it at all, but it figured conspicuously in the storyline for my main unit.  I had them start off as over-confident, feeling like they could whip up on the CapCon, and somewhat contemptuous of my merc group.  However, they were much better at fighting pirates than large-scale warfare, and it showed.  They did okay with raiding, but were slowly pushed backed through larger battles, and both the Canopian forces and my merc group were eventually kicked off the planet with heavy damage.
Game mechanics are a way of resolving questions in play, not explanations of the world itself.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #878 on: 31 October 2014, 12:48:08 »

The matriarchy was the hook.  That is something different in BT.  That, and their ambition to try and become a Periphery powerhouse.  They just do things differently, whether that is the aide-de-camp model of officer training or the use of cybernetics.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #879 on: 02 November 2014, 23:56:07 »
Catgirls.  And bunnygirls too.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #880 on: 10 November 2014, 07:49:04 »
So we finally have the stats on the first Magistracy WarShip, as well as some names for various ships, dating all the way back to the Reunification Era. We also have a fleet list for 2765.

The Athena seems quite effective, and must have terrified the FLWN and SLN/THN when it showed up just prior to the Reunification War, until Canopus mentioned it was going to be a relatively clean war.

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #881 on: 09 March 2015, 21:08:25 »

Capellan mechs, without the hassle of Capellans.  ;)

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #882 on: 11 March 2015, 17:09:34 »

The girls and the sauna baths. Especially concurrently.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #883 on: 15 March 2015, 08:58:41 »
The girls and the sauna baths. Especially concurrently.
In the 'Mech cockpits.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #884 on: 18 March 2015, 01:42:49 »
Capellan mechs, without the hassle of Capellans.  ;)

That's a pretty good reason as well.

On the plus side, the Magistracy got some pretty nice production in 3145 CapCon.

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #885 on: 19 March 2015, 17:52:45 »
That's a pretty good reason as well.

On the plus side, the Magistracy got some pretty nice production in 3145 CapCon.

After two years away, anything good? 

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #886 on: 19 March 2015, 18:52:34 »
The Calliope, which is excellent for anti BA and vehicular warfare.  Not fun to face as a mech, either.

The Agerotera, one of the most outrageous uses of IS tech ever put to paper.

Finally, the Amazon, the best IS Elemental knock off so far.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #887 on: 19 March 2015, 19:11:16 »
Taking a quick look, the two mechs look pretty boss.  The Agrotera could maybe replace my Wraith/PXH love.  And it even can kill infantry without explodey MGs.  Not as sold on the Calliope over the Snake but given its mission profile I can live with it.  Thanks.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #888 on: 20 March 2015, 15:44:44 »
The Gun is also built in the Magistracy for whatever that's worth.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #889 on: 20 March 2015, 20:01:04 »
Go go Lockton. I had forgotten about that. I even think the Sheriff and Arrow IV Assault Tank aren't that bad, if a bit odd. Though I'm not sold on a single launcher yet.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #890 on: 21 March 2015, 03:59:10 »
I'd have preferred a little less energy weapons tonnage to increase the ammo count.  Even dropping to MXPLs would save enough to double the ammo bin's size.  Tough launchers aren't a lot of help once you run out of ammo, plus there's no room for a decent bin of secondary types.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #891 on: 21 March 2015, 04:46:01 »
Yeah, its kind of a strange vehicle. The Magistracy also seems to like using the VSPs, which I don't mind too much :)

The Luduan is produced on Detroit, which is Capellan in 3145, but its produced by Novis AT-H, which is a Magistracy company, AFAIK. Its an interesting scout.

And of course, the infamous Zahn. Another Lockton design, though I'm not really sold on it.

The Anubis is being produced in the MoC as well on Krimari, by Detroit MechWorks.

So not a lot, but its a nice boost from their old production, but then again, pretty much anything was.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #892 on: 21 March 2015, 08:20:33 »
I don't mind medium VSPLs on 'Mechs, or even one used on the right vehicle, but this doesn't feel like the best use of the weapon or the tonnage it's occupying.

Luduans also deserve a special callout as fast spotters and ECM platforms, actually faster than most hovers or WiGEs.  The Canopians import a range of hardware in that category; the most obvious pairing is probably the Regulator Arrow.  They're still building the Tamerlanes as far as I know.

I think of the Zahn as a cavalry attack transport, intended to carry its passengers into harm's way without getting them shot up just trying to get into position.  Eight tons is enough for a couple of squads (particularly BA that can't mag-clamp like the Amazon or Theseus) or under TO a squad of heavy or assault suits.  You can also pack two platoons of foot or jump infantry. It has just enough armor to survive being shot at, just enough speed to keep up with a cavalry force, and just enough firepower to be capable of hassling someone (especially in groups) without attracting too much attention.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #893 on: 22 March 2015, 06:16:16 »
Oh, I agree. The Arrow IV Assault Tank may not be the best use of VSPs, but I find their use across various designs kind of interesting. I do wish they were Magistracy brand VSPs though. I also find it amusing that the VSPs in the Agrotera and Arrow IV AT are different brands :)

And I'm still not sold on the Zahn. I get the idea behind it, I just think "I could probably do this lighter or faster or with more firepower..." Maybe not armor, but better in some way. Maybe I should just think of it as being a solid sturdy transport and not think too much of it.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #894 on: 22 March 2015, 06:42:57 »
I wasn't too keen on the Aiva (as I've taken to calling the Arrow IV Assault Tank) when I first saw it in the TRO, but my (admittedly limited) experience with it has been surprisingly excellent. Those VSPLs are incredibly brutal against the light, swift units that most players send to take out on-board artillery; I was once using a lance of them as part of two augmented companies (one 'Mech, one tank). My opponent managed to slip a light strike lance past my lines and broke for the Aivas, but the turn they got within range of the VSPLs, they were utterly shredded: three of the four 'Mechs were destroyed outright and the fourth lost a leg and was obliterated the following turn. And of course, since they were on an independent turret, the attack did not affect the continuous lobbing of Arrow IVs from the other turret at the same time.

It's not perfect, but man, those lasers are nasty flyswatters.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #895 on: 22 March 2015, 12:16:17 »
The A4 vehicle has 2 redeeming qualities, trailer hitch and fast reload.  It can haul a companion A4 gun trailer behind it.  Standalone.... meh.  1404 BV for 1 launcher is way too much.  Some of that is the AMS BV... ugh, what a mess.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #896 on: 23 March 2015, 02:06:04 »
Yeah, I wouldn't use it outside of campaigns. It's definitely not the relative BV bargain the Arrow-IV Demolisher is.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #897 on: 23 March 2015, 07:11:08 »
Of course, it can always lead to some interesting situations.

"Why yes, my artillery is bodyguarding my LRM carriers, why do you ask?"

And while I enjoy the fact that the Magistracy is producing some nice things, its also good to keep in mind that everything in the TRO, except for 5 units, are available to the Magistracy in enough to show up on the MUL (and of course, the other 5 might show up in the Magistracy too, just not enough for the MUL :) )

The first of the units that the Magistracy doesn't get is the Succession War variant of the Predator. Since its extinct and the CapCon isn't getting it either, I don't mind too much :) PLus they get the modern variants, so that's fine. Must suck to be chasing a MAF Sheriff just to have it lead you to a waiting Predator.

The second and third units that don't show up on the MAF's MUL are the 2 versions of the Yinghouchong. No particular reason is given, but I can't imagine the CCAF giving over their purchased Clan ERPPCs to the MAF. The TSEMP variant likewise isn't available.

The fourth "Not available to the MAF" is a Capellan exclusive Mortis variant packing a large VSP and TSEMP. I don't know if TSEMP is why the variant isn't available to the MAF (doesn't the MAF have its own TSEMP variant of the Ebony? So it doesn't seem like it should be the reason, but I just find it interesting that 2 of the 5 designs not available both pack TSEMP).

And the final "Not for the MAF" is the Lu Wei Bing. Unlike the Mortis and the Yinghouchong, there's no TSEMP. Of course, I can understand the CCAF wanting to keep all of these things to themselves. :)

Of course, all of this, with the exception of the Mortis which specifically says "Capellan Exclusive" is up to the MUL and subject to change, but I figured since we were talking about the stuff that the Magistracy made, I could also mention what they get :)

And as always, feel free to ignore the MUL and use the units all you want :)

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #898 on: 23 March 2015, 17:32:12 »
As far as ignoring the MUL if it's excessively inconvenient, that's the idea.  It's a guideline, not a straitjacket, and there are definitely cases where we don't list 'Mechs for factions where they're documented to exist in very low quantities insufficient to qualify.

If I had to guess, the Yinghouchong isn't that common to begin with and the MAF might just have passed on the TSEMP variant given its lack of other armament.  The Lu Wei Bing seems like something of a flagship 'Mech.  I have no idea on the Mortis.  I do know there's no embargo on TSEMP exports - the MAF uses both the Raven II and Catapult II.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #899 on: 26 March 2015, 03:08:06 »
The CapCon might have simply kept the Yinghouchong to themselves considering the Clantech on the original variant, or yeah, the MAF didn't see a need for it, relying on their TSEMP Ebony variant.

edit
Or the TSEMP Marshal

I wonder what else I missed. The Large Re-engineered Laser variant of the Ebony isn't bad, and has heat dissipating armor...
« Last Edit: 26 March 2015, 05:29:18 by Maelwys »